• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Trial of Dorat

I

Irvyn

By order of the Duke:

Dorat remains defiant and determinedly loyal to the usurper, and seemingly convinced that Casca trusts him and will get him released. However, the small scale attack by brigands on Trinsic last night was woefully insufficient and appeared to be only a token gesture.

Some information was acquired during the questioning, but it was limited, and much of what he said was confined to boasting or cursing. He refused to answer most questions put to him. Therefore it seems pointless at this time to put him on trial, and we will keep him in the cells for another week to let him ponder on his actions and options.

The trial is now scheduled for Sunday 12th July, at 8pm Britannian Standard Time in the Trinsic west side Counsellors’ Guild building (north of the jail). The Duke himself will act as judge and will abide by the decision of the jury.

The jury should be drawn from all peoples of Britannia. Those wishing to serve are asked to present themselves (or a representative) half an hour early. In the event of there being too many people, names will be drawn randomly by lot.

Those wishing to make witness statements, whether against Dorat or in his defence, are asked to notify their intent by signing below this notice. If, for reasons of safety, they would prefer their names to remain confidential, please communicate with the Duke’s office.

Counsels for Defence and Prosecution will be announced when appointed.

Signed 4th July
Indecipherable squiggle
Senior Clerk, Duke's Office

S.P.A

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am so tempted to make a character called "Indecipherable Squiggle" now *grins*

N

Nyte Doombringer

Thanks for the update. I am away for a few days so cant play UO atm. Will be home Monday though.

I

Irvyn

[Reminder: this is on Sunday from 7.30pm UK time.]

I am so tempted to make a character called "Indecipherable Squiggle" now *grins*
*laughs* It was only because I couldn't think up a good name at that moment. It would be really funny ... if you do, he can be the Duke's clerk ;)

S.P.A

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am devastated to report that the maximum UO character name length is 16 characters, meaning I could only make:

Indecipherable S

But the challenge to find a perfect 16-character name for a Duke's clerk does tickle my fancy... I've come up with the following variations on the concept and I'd welcome everyone else's input or counter-suggestions:

Illegible Scrawl
Haphazard Scrawl
Careless Scrawl
Random Squiggle
Obscure Squiggle
Obscure Scrawl
Obscure Scribble
Ink Stained Mark
Illegible Mark
Scrawled Mark

Anyone else got some ideas in the same vein?

Flame (DrR)

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
how about taking Irvyns original name "Indecipherable squiggle" and just use the first letter of his forname to make a charecter called Mr I Squiggles

I

Irvyn

*chuckles at I Squiggles*

Darn, I forgot about the 16 character limit :( Perhaps you could expand on Flame's suggestion and shorten his first name? Indy or Indie Squiggle would be possible.

I would employ all your suggestions [and with your permission would like to use them on future notices] but my favourites on the list are Haphazard Scrawl and Random Squiggle :)

I

Irvyn

Haphazard Scrawl was brilliant, I loved him and so did other DOTs :) Several said they thought he was great and asked who was playing him. Bring him out whenever you like :thumbsup:

If you want, you can change his guild title to Duke's Clerk, but that's up to you.

Bobar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have given some thought to the trial tonight which was interesting but inconclusive. To try Dorat for treason and sedition brings problems which to me seem insurmountable. However you approach it Casca becomes intrinsic to his guilt. He was an Officer loyal to Casca and following his orders, Casca may well be King unlawfully but as yet we have no irrevocable proof of this. It follows therefore that following the orders of the 'King' cannot be treason.

To try Dorat we need to try him for a crime for which he is responsible. He is being tried in Trinsic which has its own Laws and customs. Why is he not being tried for Crimes against the good people of Trinsic?. This would mean the trial concerns Casca not at all, simply the guilt or otherwise of Dorat.

Attacks were made against Yew and Luna but these need not concern us. An attack was made upon Trinsic by an army of which he is the Commander. He is thus responsible for the attacks upon the city by Demons, brigands and other ruffians bringing death and destruction down upon its citizens. He was also responsible for certain citizens of said city being abducted by his forces. To ally yourself with Demons against the population is indefensible and of this he is certainly guilty. To kidnap some of the population, for whatever purpose, is also indefensible causing unwarranted distress to civilians and other non-combatants.

Try him for what he has done not for something we cannot prove. If found not guilty of crimes we have been unable to substantiate he would remain a danger to the Kingdom in general. There must be witnesses aplenty to what happened during the attacks on Trinsic and as Commander of the army he holds the ultimate responsibilty for this.

Ah well tomorrow at 8 we shall see.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Indeed, were going at it a different angle tonite. He will be tried and a verdict shall be given.
That is unless the defence can prove Casca is the Rightfull Ruler, which without wheeling out the royal council they wont be able to.
I did enjoy the arguments last night thou, we have some very intelligent people RP in this game :thumbsup:

K

Kiminality

Isn't that rather flawed?
Since Casca was widely recognised as king, surely asking someone to prove he's king is like expecting them to prove Casca was born?
He was installed to the throne, by due process. There's no concrete proof that he's not the rightful ruler.
Sure, his general bastardry kind of makes you think "Why is he king?". But I'd say that legally, his right to the throne can only be questioned, and not disproven. Not without a trial and/or official investigation of that, anyway.

Bobar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree tis a flawed argument. In any trial the burden of proof lies with the prosecution. Any judgement made because the defence cannot prove Casca is the true King would be a miscarriage of Justice.

I believe that Dorat should be tried for any alleged crime for which he alone is responsible. The 'King' may have given the order but Dorat carried out the actions thus he should bear the resposibilty for his own deeds.

I

Irvyn

I have given some thought to the trial tonight which was interesting but inconclusive. To try Dorat for treason and sedition brings problems which to me seem insurmountable. However you approach it Casca becomes intrinsic to his guilt. He was an Officer loyal to Casca and following his orders, Casca may well be King unlawfully but as yet we have no irrevocable proof of this. It follows therefore that following the orders of the 'King' cannot be treason.

To try Dorat we need to try him for a crime for which he is responsible. He is being tried in Trinsic which has its own Laws and customs. Why is he not being tried for Crimes against the good people of Trinsic?. This would mean the trial concerns Casca not at all, simply the guilt or otherwise of Dorat.

Attacks were made against Yew and Luna but these need not concern us. An attack was made upon Trinsic by an army of which he is the Commander. He is thus responsible for the attacks upon the city by Demons, brigands and other ruffians bringing death and destruction down upon its citizens. He was also responsible for certain citizens of said city being abducted by his forces. To ally yourself with Demons against the population is indefensible and of this he is certainly guilty. To kidnap some of the population, for whatever purpose, is also indefensible causing unwarranted distress to civilians and other non-combatants.

Try him for what he has done not for something we cannot prove. If found not guilty of crimes we have been unable to substantiate he would remain a danger to the Kingdom in general. There must be witnesses aplenty to what happened during the attacks on Trinsic and as Commander of the army he holds the ultimate responsibilty for this.

Ah well tomorrow at 8 we shall see.
An excellent analysis, which confirms the conclusions of the discussion after last night's (attempted) trial. Today we will pursue the matter only of Dorat's actions against Trinsic, as you suggest *polite bow*

It was a very interesting discussion last night; I suppose as Duke (and as a tyrannical despot who wants to execute Dorat) Irvyn should have been firm and shut it up, but it was really interesting and good RP *grins* So I let it run.

He was installed to the throne, by due process. There's no concrete proof that he's not the rightful ruler.
Well, that's the question ... he claimed due process, but despite direct requests from the Duke and others, he refused to provide any evidence that due process was, in fact, followed. So there's no concrete proof that he is the rightful ruler either. However, that's now outside the scope of this trial (fortunately), and we can try investigating it further afterwards.

S

She-Man

I believe the Great Council's mandate was to rule in Lord British's stead, not to replace him. Couldn't you argue that the appointment of a King, no matter how temporary, was in itself unlawfull? Because for all we know, Cantabrigian British is still alive. As such the Council have created an anti-King, and how can that be anything but treason? Dorat's actions have therefore been in the service of "traitors", and against the interests of Britannia and its lawful (albeit absent) ruler.

Off with his head!

S.P.A

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Duke's Clerk it is - I meant to change it to Clerk before I arrived but ran out of time.

I also had a problem with the Journal I'd tried to save; I'd never done that before and set it up wrong so lost the transcript. I've worked out what I did wrong and set it up properly today so I can be all the more clerical.

And the Journal Converter doesn't run under 64-bit operating systems, so I'm going to write my own little Journal Converter & Formatter so I can post the transcripts if anyone wants them.