• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Trapping Mericles?

callum_fitzhugh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok tuesday night we had a long in character discussion at the Counsellors Hall - Alyx, Callum, Stewan, Arkandy, Maz, Flame, Cerys, Heimlich [?] and maybe some more [sorry I am terrible at names and remembering].

We came up with a plan to trap or at least get Mericles attention:

1 - "make" a gate somewhere and pretend we know how to do it etc

2 - host a wedding between Dorian and Hannah

[Not my ideas cant recall who really but it was a group thing]

These two things should at least get the attention/appearence of Mericles.

Problem we are left with is how to trap/convince Mericles to build a real gate.

My thoughts on this are to use Energy Fields combined with some wards of some sort to trap him/it.

How to convince him to build a real gate however, is beyond me.

Any ideas welcome.

Callum.

C

cheerful

To expand on one of the plans: it was to announce the rescue/return of Dorian, inturn 'he' would announce his imminent marriage to his true love Hannah, either one or both of these situations would attract Mericles attention, we would then stage manage a best oppotunity for Mericles to make an entrance.
Capture and retention: bit more tricky this one as he is so powerful although we were unprepared at the Royal Ball and we are still trying to find a weakness in him.
The anti-magic that surounds the Counellors Hall could also be investigated/enhanced somehow.

If the plan fails it was that fool over there that suggested it.

If it works...it was mine.

Alyx Astarsis

S

Seasseragh

We could still try to figure the gate out on our own - but then we´d need serious expertise.
I scrounged some libraries and came up with a few candidates, tho all hiding/dead/both.

- Dryus Doost, author of the Monograph on Dimensional Travel (NPC book)
- Gilforn, wrote many books on gate/teleport technology, opened the first gate into Ilshenar (Event Character back in 2001)
- Dexter and Sutek, colleagues of and (possibly) holders of Kronos´ documents
(Kronos being the guy who built that ill-fated blackrock detector in Moonglow last year)

C

cheerful

In Mericles diary he does say that he followed the path that others had taken and so believe that the secret could lie in an old book or document.

Having read the books of Gilforn tonight (curtesy of Lady Flame, many thanks)
he talks of inspiration gained from the wisps and notably words of power he learnt.
Along with words of power, he also used common ingredients (mandrake) and moonstones to achieve a permanent gate.

I wonder if Hannah has any memory of gems or pretty jewelry aka. moonstones?

C

cheerful

Having thought about this a bit more, of the two options building our own gate will require knowledge, special ingredients and experise, none of which we have at the present time. We can of course keeping looking but all i see is dead ends at the moment.

In regard to catching Mericles i think the wedding/ball is a bit elaborate considering we would have to ensure the safety of innocents and all we really want to do is to attract his attention.

I am unsure as to whether we believe the communication crystal is somehow linked to the gate that Mericles opened but in any case we have his crystal and i'm sure he would want it back.

As the crystal is in 4 seperate parts in 4 seperate locations, it would obviously be easier for him to steal it back if it was whole and so I propose that we announce that we will be using the crystal again in conjuction with our new found knowledge (a lie) to open up a gate to rescue Dorian.

How we actually capture him is still 'work in progress'

Alyx.

Heimi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nice work guys, and a thankyou to the EMs for visiting us this evening :)

callum_fitzhugh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I diagree somewhat.

The [false] gate can be built easily enough and it can easily be inbued with some power and be made to look like a working gate or machine.

It doesnt HAVE to actually work it just needs to be convincing enough to attract Mericles attention. It wont need to WORK its a trick =)

Its like making a fake painting to do a con trick. It only has to be good enough to attract Mericles attention.

Hell even just starting to "build a gate" has got to be worth his time to investigate?

Or does Mericles have any other known weaknesses?

Saunders

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How much knowledge of Ilsh can we assume he has?

If we start to create a false gate around the void cavern gate, for example, we have a functioning false gate.

S

Seasseragh

How much knowledge of Ilsh can we assume he has?

If we start to create a false gate around the void cavern gate, for example, we have a functioning false gate.
Ohhhhh... I like that! Considering he lives in Ilsh and has an interest for gates/the void he probably knows it.

And, yes, Callum of course a false gate wouldn´t have to work beyond make-believe, but we have two tracks we can take:

- fast and risky: Capture Mericles, make him build/operate the gate
Problem: We have no idea what he´s doing, so he could easily open the
gate to his "void-buddy", who sounds like trouble with a big T

-slower and safer: Forget about Mericles for now (who will probably find out and
pay a visit anyway) and build a real gate on our own
Problem: We have to figure out how to do it, and we have very little info
at the moment, will take time

C

cheerful

Fast and risky: I doubt we would be able to make him build a gate for us and in any event, like you say 'him' on the other side sounds like a nasty piece of work and I'd like to meet him on our terms.
I was thinking more on the lines of 'persuading' him to tell us the secret of gate making or who's path he followed that allowed him to construct the gate (as per his diary).
This in turn would allow us to take the slow, safer route for at the moment we seem to be going in circles with no clues or leads to follow.
On saying that, I'm sure Dorian could help us somewhat.We had a few titbits the last time Hannah talked to him but nothing we could follow up.
We were toying with the idea of letting Hannah use the crystal device again and she said she would be willing to do so.[OOC it will probably be impossible for EM's to answer any questions that we ask Hannah to relay to Dorian because of the number of people present and the sheer volume of questions/text on screen..so]
We could before hand think of 3 questions that we would like Dorian to answer and ask Hannah to focus on them (she became faint and dizzy last time).
We could even do this on the same night as the fake gate opening, but earlier, for Dorian may reveal something that could aid us in capturing Mericles.

Or is my brain working overtime?
Love the location btw
Alyx

callum_fitzhugh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
or who's path he followed that allowed him to construct the gate (as per his diary).
This in turn would allow us to take the slow, safer route for at the moment we seem to be going in circles with no clues or leads to follow.
I like that idea.

Evil overlords tend to have a tendency to brag and blurt out stuff like this.

C

cheerful

More idea's needed before Monday night I think, looks like we are having a RP meeting with Hannah at the Abbey.

C

cheerful

Do we know where Mericles created the gate that trapped Dorian ?

Flame (DrR)

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To Nathan Hawke

I have spent some time talking with others and thinking of the situation with Mericles. Whilst I think he is a dangerous man I think the thing or person he is in contact with is just using him. We know his powerful contact in the Void has other paths into our lands and so capturing or killing Mericles is not going to stop it coming, so we ought to concentrate our efforts on rescuing Dorian, and seeking all the information he has. To that ends I have left 2 books on the desk at the top of my house (Guards Rest, north Malas) about Gilforn and how he opened the gates into Ishena. In those books he describes how the Wisps showed him the words of power he needed to open the gate. It might be an idea to visit the talking Wisp in the Void, accessible through Wisp Dungeon, to see if they can tell us anything more.
It has been recommended that we build the gate on the “roclasmpy” rock as it is already linked to the Void, but also it might be worth getting Hannah to reconstruct the Crystal Communicator to see if we can locate the opening of the gate near Dorian. I suggest we only use Hannah to communicate with Dorian if this all fail, as it weakens her so and why put her through that if its possible we can save Dorian first. Also if we fail we have her communicating with Dorian to fall back on, we may know more specific questions to ask. We do believe this has a good chance of getting Mericles attention and he or his monions may try to stop us, so caution needs to be used. These are by no means the plans set forth but my thinking on the issues after talking to others, I am sure they will let you know of other information or ideas they have

Regards
Lady Flame

C

cheerful

I like that idea.

Evil overlords tend to have a tendency to brag and blurt out stuff like this.
'Ha, call yourself a gate maker? Gilforn had the mighty wisps on his side and all you can boast is 'him' on the otherside, there probably is no 'him', the otherside of your delusional imagination maybe, and what sort of name is Mericles anyway? sounds like a cure for hang overs, not like Nystul, now there's a name that commands respect' *poke poke*

If we do go down the route of using the crystal will it take another 24hrs to charge again?

If we talk to wisps will we be able to understand them and visa versa?

What questions will we have for Hannah?

Kas Valentine

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Or does Mericles have any other known weaknesses?
S'a man right....? Try seduction !

Once the lady in question has his undivided attention;

"Mericles, sweetheart, will you open the gate for me...? I'd be ever so grateful"

'Choo reckon?

callum_fitzhugh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
'Ha, call yourself a gate maker? Gilforn had the mighty wisps on his side and all you can boast is 'him' on the otherside, there probably is no 'him', the otherside of your delusional imagination maybe, and what sort of name is Mericles anyway? sounds like a cure for hang overs, not like Nystul, now there's a name that commands respect' *poke poke*

If we do go down the route of using the crystal will it take another 24hrs to charge again?

If we talk to wisps will we be able to understand them and visa versa?

What questions will we have for Hannah?
heh

You lost me here a bit. =)

The original Black Gate was built by Saktoth [that isnt me] about 6 years ago [or more] and there was also another built by Umbra [I believe] and there is also one more in existance - unless Muldran also has one.

I am only going on my knowledge of in game in charcater lore that I stumbled upon many years ago =)

C

cheerful

Did Gilforn not make one then? Only going from reading his book.

I none the less bow to your superior knowledge of history.
:)