• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Transfering Siege characters to prodo

Kat

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
He said they coded Siege completely different from the production shards. He implied that the lead's said they would need to redo the coding on Siege for it to happen and that would not happen because of the time involved.
I understand you were told those things, Kael and you know I love ya, but things aren't always the way they appear. Cal promised to fix some "low hanging fruit" issues with Siege and did nothing. Not ONE thing. My opinion of Cal is that he was lazy and never followed through and that is likely the reason he was canned.

I would take anything he said with a grain of salt. Devs add new code all the time. Adding the code to ship someone out of this desolate place should not be all that difficult. Cal couldn't handle "low hanging fruit", but our current crew of devs have been more than happy to make some changes for us. Devs with the right attitude and work ethic could make it happen.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I understand you were told those things, Kael and you know I love ya, but things aren't always the way they appear. Cal promised to fix some "low hanging fruit" issues with Siege and did nothing. Not ONE thing. My opinion of Cal is that he was lazy and never followed through and that is likely the reason he was canned.

I would take anything he said with a grain of salt. Devs add new code all the time. Adding the code to ship someone out of this desolate place should not be all that difficult. Cal couldn't handle "low hanging fruit", but our current crew of devs have been more than happy to make some changes for us. Devs with the right attitude and work ethic could make it happen.
But I don't feel desolate :(

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry Kat...I asked Mythic about it years ago when Cal was running the show. After going back and forth with him looking into it this was the message I got back in the end.

(Okay. Bad news. Seige does not support transfers either way.

Now that I think about the decision I understand. I am thinking they made Seige as it is to prohibit players from transferring their established characters from production servers.

Sorry. In order to do it we'd have to re-write the server code across the game to allow you to move.

- Calvin)

Kinda sucked at the time. You should just give in and come to the dark side and play with me and Spyderbite !
I support this message. Besides. We have cookies and thieves really do exist!

Hattori Hanzo

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Although I don't currently have an active account, I want to add my two gold pieces. Apologies in advance to whomever that offends.

At some point there may be so few people on SP that the choice is abandon your Chars, or beg for what Kat suggests. I get that one can simply create a prodo char on the shard you wish to play, but it won't be the char you worked so hard to create and perfect. There is something more than a sentimental attachment to these toons. They carry an aspect of our human character.

I would rather move my Chars than abandon them. I say that even though they are in limbo at the moment. When I return to the game, I will find a deserted wasteland or a semi-thriving post apocalyptic group of survivors. If it is the former, I would rather be allowed to move to another shard. If it is the latter, I might scrape by awhile with the survivors.

What all of you might ask yourself, is at what point will there be too few players on SP to bother logging in. 100, 10, 2? Maybe just 1?

We (you) may not be at that point yet, but it is worth considering. Gaming is in an "I gotta have it now" phase where "gamers" will pay $$ to have the most L33t minecraft knight on the internet. They sure won't bother coming to SP, if they bother with UO at all.

Lets just hope I'm wrong.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'd say it'll be Me and Kelmo battling it out for the one that gets to flip the switch, but until then I'll be here( plotting of ways to sabotage Kelmo's lawn). but on a serious note, the characters i am not attached to, it is the vet rewards and Soul Stones i have on this shard that i would want to take along. I have plenty of Characters on other shards that are maxed out and could use them. but i understand people would want to take their characters along with them and agree they should be allowed to, if this shard was to ever die off. (Kat could never make another Char. as sexy as the one she has here anyway :p )

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Siege is pretty much like playing a solo game with a chat program (GC) running beside it. All that's really changing as time goes by is less chat scrolling by.

Hattori Hanzo

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd say it'll be Me and Kelmo battling it out for the one that gets to flip the switch, but until then I'll be here( plotting of ways to sabotage Kelmo's lawn). but on a serious note, the characters i am not attached to, it is the vet rewards and Soul Stones i have on this shard that i would want to take along. I have plenty of Characters on other shards that are maxed out and could use them. but i understand people would want to take their characters along with them and agree they should be allowed to, if this shard was to ever die off. (Kat could never make another Char. as sexy as the one she has here anyway :p )
I guess I should explain. To me, my Character and all of his accomplishments (soulstones, rewards, etc) are one body.

I do have visions of Kelmo asleep near the switch, so someone else will have to throw it.

Troll The T Hunter

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I still think combining servers is the best way to go, although that doesn't help siege but it could help other servers. I haven't played siege in a few months and don't think ill come back. that's something i've never considered before but it's pretty dead now.

Anyways I see no reason not to let people transfer OUT of siege.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They may combine production servers at some time, just don't count on Siege being included...unless they combine Siege and Mugen...la

Kat

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I still think combining servers is the best way to go, although that doesn't help siege but it could help other servers. I haven't played siege in a few months and don't think ill come back. that's something i've never considered before but it's pretty dead now.

Anyways I see no reason not to let people transfer OUT of siege.
If you're no longer playing here and you're not coming back, I don't see the point in you even posting an opinion on this matter.

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you're no longer playing here and you're not coming back, I don't see the point in you even posting an opinion on this matter.
Well to be fair; many vets would love to play Siege again. Whoever the latest developer that adopted this orphaned game would need to remove the subscription and revert the server about 12 years.

Not being snarky. This is what people want from UO. This is they still charge $15/month because you keep paying for fear that they'll shut down the servers and you'll lose your stuff.

Blessed items, itemization, and all the other lipstick they spread all over this pig killed the EA cash cow.

Heck. Even Richard Garriot is promoting free server events (see his Twitter feed) and not the official UO servers.

Meh.

Kat

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well to be fair; many vets would love to play Siege again. Whoever the latest developer that adopted this orphaned game would need to remove the subscription and revert the server about 12 years.

Not being snarky. This is what people want from UO. This is they still charge $15/month because you keep paying for fear that they'll shut down the servers and you'll lose your stuff.

Blessed items, itemization, and all the other lipstick they spread all over this pig killed the EA cash cow.

Heck. Even Richard Garriot is promoting free server events (see his Twitter feed) and not the official UO servers.

Meh.
You're preaching to the choir, Spydie! I want to play here too, but even I can see that Siege is done. If they want my subscriptions they will have to move me off this damn shard. I don't want to play alone. I want to join a fun guild and at least TRY to have some fun again. That ain't happening here.

I guess if Broadsword or whoever is running this ship is okay with losing more subs, I'm fine with that too.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I get that one can simply create a prodo char on the shard you wish to play, but it won't be the char you worked so hard to create and perfect. There is something more than a sentimental attachment to these toons. They carry an aspect of our human character.
IMO part of the experience of the character we have here is that they were made, trained and played HERE. They are different from characters on other shards because they had a ruleset full of different experiences. I feel like moving them off would be more wrong than letting them die.

I'd rather they just close up the shard if it's so dire people MUST transfer characters off.

Hattori Hanzo

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
IMO part of the experience of the character we have here is that they were made, trained and played HERE. They are different from characters on other shards because they had a ruleset full of different experiences. I feel like moving them off would be more wrong than letting them die.

I'd rather they just close up the shard if it's so dire people MUST transfer characters off.
Well stated point.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd at least like to transfer my store purchases, and my Vet rewards off of Siege if things get that bad.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
From what I understand... Just things said here and there. I have been wrong a time or two. Siege is different.

Notice some global changes do not come in to effect on Siege? I can think of some significant changes that happen on every other shard... but not Siege.

Troll The T Hunter

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

ouch.

Silent Singer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Well team, I'm with Vic and Kelmo. I intend on playing here until it isn't available. Kat said something to the effect of wanting to play in a fun guild and do stuff and that wasn't possible for her here (paraphrasing). I guess I must just be super lucky. I always seem to have stuff to do. Sometimes I DO like to play solo so I don't interact on GC, but anytime I ask, folks join me in a spawn or quest. I love UO still. I love Siege. I love the folks I play with here. Talia, Igg, Sprago, Victim, Kelmo, Vinnie, and plenty of others can be relied on to do something at the drop of a hat. The other night I logged on, Talia and Sprago were on, and within 15 minutes we were deep inthe Neira spawn. Just us three, finished it out and had a blast. The only drag for me here is that Vinnie's schedule changed. Other than that, I'm still having a blast!

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Kat, a couple of years ago when they introduced the stadiums, I asked Supreem about the possibility of letting people character copy characters from Siege or Mugen to the special shard they temporarily set up for testing the stadiums. Was kind of hoping it would be a shard they'd just leave turned on permanently. He said that there were too many things that were coded differently for Siege/Mugen for them to accommodate character copying. I also found this old post from Zosimus talking about the topic: What Happened to The Idea of Turning UO Back Into The Wild, Wild West? .

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Kat, a couple of years ago when they introduced the stadiums, I asked Supreem about the possibility of letting people character copy characters from Siege or Mugen to the special shard they temporarily set up for testing the stadiums. Was kind of hoping it would be a shard they'd just leave turned on permanently. He said that there were too many things that were coded differently for Siege/Mugen for them to accommodate character copying. I also found this old post from Zosimus talking about the topic: What Happened to The Idea of Turning UO Back Into The Wild, Wild West? .
I find it hard to believe that there's any seperate coding in our characters than production characters. In the server itself ? Sure, absolutely, but the characters themselves ?

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I find it hard to believe that there's any seperate coding in our characters than production characters. In the server itself ? Sure, absolutely, but the characters themselves ?
The data file for the character should contain the same info as a prodo shard character does, at worst in a different sequence which they could write a bit of code to rearrange that data or put in a missing prodo data item.

It's not like their going to be coding to make a WoW character into a UO character. Shouldn't be a big deal at all.