• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS Transcript Available on Stratics for May 16, 2012 Wayback Wednesday Video of Ultima Online

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
On Wednesday, May 16, 2012, two intrepid broadcasters from MMORPG.COM, Rob Lashley aka "Grakulen" and Hillary Nicole aka "Pokket," joined members of Mythic's Ultima Online development team and a multitude of UO players on the Test Center shard for two and a half hours to check out all levels of the newly revamped Covetous Dungeon. Grakulen and Pokket also ventured forth into Felucca to interact directly with others players and received a tour of a player's house in Trammel.

MMORPG.COM live-streamed the video and also hosted a chat channel for viewers. You can view recorded copies of the video at their website and on YouTube.

If you'd like to read a full-length transcript of the video, start here. You'll also find links there to the recorded videos.

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Incredible undertaking Tina, thank you!
I sent your work on to Grakulen and he thanks you too :)

Twitter

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
"I would also like thank the team over at UO Stratics. They took the time to do a word for word transcription of this episode of Wayback Wednesday, you can find the link after the videos, and don't forget to complete your UO experience make sure you get a cookie from Queen Mum you won't regret it."
MMORPG Follow up with Grakulen.

Thanks again Tina, your efforts did not go unappreciated nor did Queen Mum's cookies:)

W

Woodsman

[0:13:05] Kai: I thought why don’t we talk a bit about the 15th anniversary that we’re celebrating this year while everyone is getting ready?

[0:13:18] Mesanna: Oh. What do you want to talk about? [giggles]

[0:13:22] Kai: There’s this fantastic story line already going on with several chapters on the web page.

[0:13:30] Mesanna: Right.

[01:13:31] Kai: Is there something we can already see in-game?

[0:13:33] Mesanna: No. [giggles] This is…it’s gonna lay out pretty well as it goes, but we don’t really want to give anything away.

[0:13:46] Kai: But we have that land and we don’t want to tease anything…?
[laughter]

[0:13:54] Mesanna: I know that sounds really mysterious, but if I say anything, it’s going to just give it away. So I’d rather kind of keep my mouth shut on it.

[0:14:02] Kai: Make sure to keep an eye on the Herald. We have fantastic story lines written by the EM team. And maybe you’ll get a hint.

So "we have that land"???

Nimuaq

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not sure why Kai is invited to this. He says he is the community manager of Bioware Mythic, but he is certainly not the community manager of UO. In fact, other than posting a few texts on the uoherald website (which are too often corrected), he has no interest whatsoever in UO community. He doesn't have an account in any UO related forums and he didn't even create a character in TC1 for the event. To be fair, it is better for him to not to join the team in-game since it would probably be too humiliating for him to know even less than Grakulen about the game he is the community manager of. Mesanna is both the Associate Producer and the Community Manager of Ultima Online; Grakulen, you didn't need to invite Kai.

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm not sure why Kai is invited to this. He says he is the community manager of Bioware Mythic, but he is certainly not the community manager of UO. In fact, other than posting a few texts on the uoherald website (which are too often corrected), he has no interest whatsoever in UO community. He doesn't have an account in any UO related forums and he didn't even create a character in TC1 for the event. To be fair, it is better for him to not to join the team in-game since it would probably be too humiliating for him to know even less than Grakulen about the game he is the community manager of. Mesanna is both the Associate Producer and the Community Manager of Ultima Online; Grakulen, you didn't need to invite Kai.
I'd like to clarify a few things for you. It's not stating anything new, it's been general knowledge. Kai is the Community Manager for all titles which happened just a few weeks after coming to Mythic and shortly after James and Andy both moved on to other projects.

The few times he did post to the Herald it was met with hostility about the typos since he wasn't familiar with our gaming terms and that coming from Europe, there was a bit of a language barrier at times. Should it have been double checked first? Sure. Not saying there shouldn't but there is a tendency on the forums here to be a little bit bitey over the smallest things too. People new to our family may not get the love behind it right off.

To say he shouldn't be involved? Shame on anyone who would say a community person should not be involved with a community. Instead they should be more involved as well as the rest of the community team brought in to help out, as we've seen recently. Things can only get better if we are more welcoming and patient instead of the opposite where who would want to engage in discussion here with a bunch of chips on a bunch of shoulders.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
*nods* I agree Airmid. I am becoming very concerned with the 'meanness' of many posts and posters here on Uhall.

Nimuaq

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Things can only get better if we are more welcoming and patient instead of the opposite where who would want to engage in discussion here with a bunch of chips on a bunch of shoulders.
You don't need to clarify anything Airmid, I was already welcoming and patient, this is posted on May 20, 2011, a year ago, and specifically for Kai:

If I understand correctly, we're sharing community managers with Warhammer Online and Dark Age of Camelot. So, we dont have our own community manager(s), yet alone one that actually knows the game enough to interact with the community.

Imagine yourself (MalagAste) being the community manager of both UO and Warhammer Online. You know UO, its history, its expansions and additions, the criticism from player base, bugs... but you might not know anything about Warhammer Online. Can you post something on their boards to interact with them?

If the community managers dont know much about the game -and apparently they stay as community managers so we dont have any other option- then we can teach them the game. Veteran players teach the game to the new players every day. They just need to come to us, it is not embarrassing to start to learn the game, we should help them so that we can rely on them in the future.

The main purpose of the thread was to point the parts of the official website that needs immediate attention, but I guess it is also related to the community coordination in UO. While the points about the cutting back costs etc. is insightful, they are not helpful. If there is a single community manager out there, UO community is more than large enough to gain her/him.
A year has been past and I haven't seen a single act from Kai to actually reach out the UO community.

To say he shouldn't be involved? Shame on anyone who would say a community person should not be involved with a community. Instead they should be more involved as well as the rest of the community team brought in to help out, as we've seen recently.
Yes, a community person should be involved with the community. This community person, however, just does not. That's why I said Grakulen didn't need to invite him, he is already not involved while a community person should. My post is not intended to be mean, it just reflects my disappointment, in any case, if it somehow offends him, then I'm sorry. Yet again, I still think he's not the community manager of UO (you can check the description of community manager if you have any doubt), so I'm still not sure why he is invited.