• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Parry] Training Help

jojo_la

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I got lucky during a spawn and looted a 120 parry scroll (yay!) My parry is set to raise, i have available skill points but it's not budging - 110.2 and nothing.

I'm training the character as a sampire. should i stone off bushido and my weapon skill to help with the gains?

C

Connor_Graham

If your Bushido is still low, then yes, stone it off. If it's near GM or above simply equip a shield and a wep you don't have skill in. Best bet is to head to the nearest sheep pen and get them all attacking you, tab out so you don't attack back, then sit back and heal when needed. Gains will fly at that point.

Thunderz

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you'v got necro go into beast form [dont think it requires much skill] and your hit points will regen, just get enough attacking you so your HP regen is the same as the damage your taking and you wont need to heal at all then. Also i found it faster without a shield, went from 80 - 120 in an hour an 20 mins last night in the sheep pen in yew.

Lorax_Pacific

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Was there a nerf to training parry? I started another character that needs parry and took on the sheep until 69. Started up again today and I only got 0.3 gain in an hour with many sheep. Brand new character so skills are 330 pts. Tried in fel too with same result. Weapon skill is 30.

It has been a year or so since my last parry training so just thinking maybe things have changed.

-Lorax

Kellgory

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't think anything has changed as far as training against sheep. Normally if I don't have Bushido, I would take a weapon that I have 0 skill in and equip that. The covorting club used to be my favorite, but here recently I would just buy a couple different weapons from the NPC both one and two handed and try them. Odd because sometimes I gain better with one weapon that the other. After GM, I go to the pits and usually have a guildmate hire the females and bring them near my char, disarm them and then fire them so that I could get them to attack me. You can also round up fighters from Fel, and once you have about 30 females it doesn't take long to get to 120.

N

NickyDishes

Was there a nerf to training parry? I started another character that needs parry and took on the sheep until 69. Started up again today and I only got 0.3 gain in an hour with many sheep. Brand new character so skills are 330 pts. Tried in fel too with same result. Weapon skill is 30.

It has been a year or so since my last parry training so just thinking maybe things have changed.

-Lorax
Try the jhelom pit and do it with unarmed or disarmed fighters

ZidjiN

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you have parry and bushido on your template.
Equip a shield, gather a as many sheeps as possible and make them attack you.

If you have parry but no bushido on your template.
Equip a weapon that you have no skill in and do NOT hold a shield, gather as many sheeps as possible and make them attack you.

Gains usually are slow for the first few minutes but will come steady. It usually takes about 2 hours from 30ish to legendary.

ZippyTwitch

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You do not need a shield. Does not matter if you have bushido or no bushido. The 2 handed weapon of a skill you don't use works both ways on the sheep all the way to 120 parry. People keep trying to shove this "if you have bushido then you need to use a shield to train" down peoples throat but it's not true. I have done it on a pali with no bushido and a straight up samurai.

C

Connor_Graham

People keep trying to shove this "if you have bushido then you need to use a shield to train" down peoples throat but it's not true.
That's because we all know that it is. It's hard to believe that 20 of us are wrong but only you are right. :twak:

ZippyTwitch

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's because we all know that it is. It's hard to believe that 20 of us are wrong but only you are right. :twak:
That's why I have done it both ways without a shield. Face it your wrong in this case. I know it's hard to comprehend but you are wrong. It is very possible 1 person could be right and 20 are wrong. If it were possible for everyone to come to my house I would show you all how wrong you are by training it up right in front of your eyes. Perhaps your all trammies and it doesn't work my way in tram because i only train in fel. maybe it only works in fel my way. Either way I'm not sure except for the fact that i know i'm right.

B

BeefSupreme

Dunno, I trained parry in the sheep pens trammel using just a few kryss's and no shield
(swords is what my skill is in)
bushido was probably in the 80s at the time? parry was close to that number as well.
went from 80 to 100 in 45 minutes? Maybe less..

Then later on when I got my 120 parry scroll, I trained the rest. Bushido was almost 120, and I went from 100 parry to 120 in an hour.
This was back in early november... Can't say that the Devs haven't farted around with anything parry related since.

C

Connor_Graham

That's why I have done it both ways without a shield. Face it your wrong in this case. I know it's hard to comprehend but you are wrong. It is very possible 1 person could be right and 20 are wrong. If it were possible for everyone to come to my house I would show you all how wrong you are by training it up right in front of your eyes. Perhaps your all trammies and it doesn't work my way in tram because i only train in fel. maybe it only works in fel my way. Either way I'm not sure except for the fact that i know i'm right.
First, there's no need to be derogatory, this isn't UHall.

Second, no one said it wouldn't work without a shield, but the simple fact of the matter is that it works better with one. We've all tried it both ways, and using a shield makes the training go faster, which is why we always recommend using one if you have Bushido.

jwauk99

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have had NO luck with training parry against sheep. Was a complete waste. I had great success training about harpies in Covetous (right near the entry) where you can get 9 harpies attacking you at once. They attack MUCH faster than sheep so you gain alot faster. The downside is, your armor gets damaged easily and you better heal yourself now and then too.