• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Totally new to the game

Monomaxos

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Always wanted to try UO since lots of years ago but at first didnt have a credit card and later on when I had one it happened I was busy with other games(most times sandboxes). I just took the trial around a month ago and tested for a few days around. Despite there was about no people in New Haven, Europa server(saw just a couple that never answered to my greetings, maybe cause I didnt know how to private message them in case they had some chat channel off), the game seemed interesting and even with a few weeks delay I added initially a month to it(and will add more if I end up liking it a lot). Being an old school gamer I dont mind outdated 2d graphs as long as they give the feel a fantasy rpg needs and they do a good job at it. I downloaded enhanced client(wasnt sure which was the best).
I deleted my testing char and didnt make new yet since I am not sure which shard(server) to pick. Got any suggestions on which servers are lively and got potential to making new friends and have a fun time? While I live in EU, a lot of times I may play 10PM my time or later when coming from work, which means I am somewhat in both EU and US hours.
On my test I took paladin option for my char. Seemed very cool, but if you have any suggestions to help me pick one would be nice. All I really did during my trial testing was pass the mini tutorial, then find new haven town, get some quests from trainers and other npcs and farmed a little bit on old haven undead to raise skills too. This char is deleted though so I could start my char any town you suggest I guess.
Is it possible for new players to find a good guild or there are usually certain reqs too? Also any additional advice for someone just starting would help a lot.

Tamais

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Welcome to our world. :) I 'll try not to overwhelm or confuse you . The game has a bit of a learning curve so I highly recommend that you read the new player guides on uoguide.com, the player guide on uo.com, and of course here. Asking questions are a good thing and no question is silly.
Europa does have a fantastic new player center just outside the Trinsic moongate. It is run by Minerva Foxglove. Usually just introduce your self in chat. UO doesn't have a pm system. The sites I recommend have good guides on how to use the chat system.
The best way to decide the shard you like is to create a character there and explore. Same with the two clients, use them both to see which you like. I use both, the original for my first account and the enhanced with my two new accounts. You will find that a lot of us use uo assist with the original client and Pinco's UI with the enchanced but you don't have to.
I recommend starting in New Haven for the quests. It really helps with the skills up to 50 and that is where we look for new players. You might also check the city of Luna. There are guilds for new players on some shards. The requirements to join a non new player guild depend on the different guilds.
Lol I am beginning to sound like a broken record. To decide which type of character you like is to try different ones out, read about the different types here on the professional Forums. You can also go to tc(test center) shard to play around with different combinations.
I hope this helps a little.

drewster513

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
welcome to UO if you are on europa and need help just shout for drewster in gen chat

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Welcome to UO, I hope you enjoy the game ;)

I suppose you already know the main helpful websites, but here they are just in case:
Then you have other sites like this one more oriented for the Tamer and crafting professions.

Also you have a daily meeting in the West Britain Bank at 19:00 UK time, if I'm not mistaken, with some veteran players who will be happy to help you in any way.

Have Fun :)

Monomaxos

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Thank you all. To be honest, I didnt even know Stratics when I first checked on trial so every bit of help is nice on where to look for guides. I dont mind the learning curve since I play almost exclusively sandbox games and sandboxes all take time to learn, just its cool to know how to get a decent start. I wanted to try the game since quite a while ago but its never too late I guess.
I am on GMT +2 timezone but 4 days of the week working up to my 9:00pm and there is RL too so I guess its not always possible to be there at players meeting but will try for it. I guess I should test on Europa first and thank you for your help offer drewster

DungHook

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Welcome;
Consider this your new home. Get comfortable, grab a cup of tea and camp out for a few hours, 2,5 or 10. This is not a game. It's an mmorpg. I prefer to call it an rpl. Role playing Lifestyle.
I will make this as short as possible and look at a couple things you had a question about.

Being an old school gamer I don't mind outdated 2d graphs as long as they give the feel a fantasy rpg needs and they do a good job at it. I downloaded enhanced client(wasn't sure which was the best).
I prefer the classic client for the old school feel. I am not impressed with new ideas on how to make something easy. The classic client helps me immerse into my character. It's the old school way, the way I remember UO. ( in my opinion)

Got any suggestions on which servers are lively and got potential to making new friends and have a fun time?
Atlantic, Legions and Siege Perilous. Just starting out? You can call home Atlantic. I think it is the most populated shard out there. You can make good friends on any shard I think. (imo)

I live in EU.
I lived in London,England for a few years. From there we traveled a bit. I have a few friends scattered around a bit. Romania, china, Switzerland, Belgium...
I live in the mid west USA now.
Conceder yourself among friends.

Is it possible for new players to find a good guild.
yes.

Personally;
I prefer to live the life of a gypsy. I don't beg or steal, as Gypsies are known for. ( Being from EU you know what I am saying.)
If you have the patience to learn the old school way, as the Gypsy lives.
Make friends in game. They will be happy to help you. You then can live outside the control of a guild, and live free.

However if you like the safety and comfort of an authority dominating your life, then by all means join a guild. There are some very helpful nice guilds out there.

Lorax_Pacific

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you talk to people and they dont talk back means the may be non-player characters and only respond to specific words.

-Lorax

Monomaxos

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I am sure npcs don't go around on mounts and have guild tags. I am familiar to the tag system from other sandboxes I played but I found out why I didn't see anyone talk. Just the enhanced client seems to have probs like this:

It has 2 starter default tabs, one of which is system. I tried to add all chat types to system tab for my ease in its settings and they seem checked. However they Don't get shown as if they were never selected. The problem got solved by adding a new tab and adding all chats there but sure in New Haven(Europa) rarely anyone passes and those who pass probably aren't in talking mood(or being too busy)

To DungHook :

I tried the classic client today, it has smoother animation, mobs seem nicer on it(despite they lack some light sources the enhanced has), battle is cooler BUT the inventory is a lot harder to use. Its as if you see a big amount of things one on top of the other.
I live myself in EU, Greece, there are gypsy tribes near, they aren't restrained by place or tech like we do in RL, but they do have their internal authorities as they got a structure of someone leading the tribe and in lower control someone leading each family separately. Of course they are mostly nomadic but they can even stay in a settlement they made for years if they find the spot good. Their biggest settlement near my town is being used by them around 2 decades
For guilds it really depends how the guilds work. Normally they are giving more content in sandbox games and is something positive to join one. Not for the safety(in fact in sandbox games where there is pvp you die more often when guilded), but having a group of people doing activities and working on something common, while still having a lot of freedom. In all sadboxes I played only, one guild(in EVE) worked as a VERY restrictive authority. Overall my experience with guilds is very good on sandboxes but seeing your comment, my guess is your experience wasn't as good as mine and I understand what you talk on

Is that a bug:

Tried to buy a viking sword after I got some cash from killing undead in old haven and a helmet since the starter gear don't include helmet and shield(I found a shield from a mob though). I clicked the + to add one sword in the buying window from blacksmith npc and it kept adding more and more(and occasionally freezing window a bit in the process) till 22 swords were added. I relogged and it seemed ok but next time I tried for a shield it somehow did it again. I play windowed by the way.

Stats:

Seeing as I started something to be kind of like a paladin and therefore chose that template, which stats are most important for it? I see it got str, dex and intelligence all set to increase

Edit:

Is there a way to add friends in UO?

Last edited:

Tixoo

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Hey, we met yesterday in new heaven, and i am a new player as well. it will be good if we manage to find a guild that we can tag along with :)

Monomaxos

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Hey I am at work now so cant really log but I joined yesterday *HLP* guild, they are very nice. Asked them to talk you too when they see you in New Haven. A bit after you logged of TothAmon talked to me and joined there

Tixoo

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
yeah i am at work as well :) just keeping an eye on the forums in hope to find some helpful veterans :)
that sounds really nice, most probably i will log tonight for an hour or two around 9ish our time, hope to see you or them so we can talk IG

Cheers for the info, see you laters

btw, what do they do ? PVE, PVP, RP ? I am more oriented to social/pve/rp'sh not really in to pvp nor i can at my current state xD

Monomaxos

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
From what I saw they dont really limit their members from what they want to do, but their main focus is to help new players to get into playing the game and returning players to get back into it. They are very nice and active. I am mostly social and pve too, but I sure go for a little RP(You will see me always looking as a Paladin and always using only horse mount while having lawful good behaviour) and could rarely PVP as well

TothAmon

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
New and returning Players to europa UO shard, i want to have the Honore to invite you to my Web tavern UO ,with subscribed Forum and Voice chat.
i have hopefully made it new player frendly, so you can get a heads up about the game & maybe find yourself a Guild after your playstyle and likings:) before Playing.
all is more then Welcome

Link to the Seawolf Tavern: Forum For the Nation Europa shard Players
http://seawolftavern.guildlaunch.com/recruiting/create_apply.php?gid=364843

Seawolf voice chat Uo europa nation Comunication channels,Guild leaders pm me for Pasworded Guild channels,
https://www.gamevox.com/ZGRS-8CD

There is a Link in the Tavern web site to aply to HLP Help learn & play Guild!
you are more then welcome there aswel,im a Senior officer of HLP Myself and Proud of it to!

Last edited: