• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Topic of the Week (July 14)

What do you think of gold farmers/sellers?

• They ruin the game.

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Games are harder now, so we need them to buy gear.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • If people didn't buy gold, we wouldn't be having this poll.

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • I won't tell you my name, but I use them.

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Just make them legal and part of the game.

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
S

Seridove

This week, we want to touch on one of those topics that hits every successful MMORPG game out there....gold sellers/farmers. I've played several games and I knew that there were always ebayers out there selling characters and gold. In game, however, I rarely saw these transactions..as those who farmed money were hidden in secret...afraid of being caught.

Today, however, it seems that gold sellers/farmers have almost become an intrusive part of the game experience. You see characters in some games named "sdlkfds" and "eieorieo" on auto pilot, your ingame mailbox is full of spam (guess you can't even get away from that here) and your private tells are filled by people who want to sell you gold. One AoC fansite has even gone so far as to offer a "gold making/leveling guide" as a contest prize.

Where does the insanity stop?

We want to know from you...what are your thoughts on these gold farmers/sellers? Are they needed? Can we successfully get rid of them? Should they be left alone? Vote in our poll and let us know.

U

UrsusManor

Every coin has two sides. I think the demand generates the supply. There will always be gamers who find the rank advancement of the given game too slow and they don't care whether this ruins the game itself or not.

Sawo

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have bought money and characters with real moola and have nothing againsts it. Peoples do so and thats why there are things like Project Entropia and Second Life example. It is not fair for those who dont have money to buy über alts or some gold for epix...... but hey, thats how things work irl too, money eases your life.

dp_dropout

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Seeing as how easy it is to make gold once you're past level 50 I think it's pretty hilarious to buy it.

That said, the fact that people buy gold doesn't bother me at all, the fact that these gold sellers spam my chat and email however does.
If there would be an adequate system in place which I can use to prevent this spam I would be happy.

Edit: Grats with Mod function, Sawo!

Sawo

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks, time to do something else than....... you know :p

AoC gold is not that important yet and its easy to get. They seem to spam more power leveling services than gold.

D

Dethpatryn

Personally I condemn both the sellers and buyers. If I know someone is a gold seller, I won't associate with them and will put them on ignore. If I know someone is a gold buyer, I again will not associate with them, but instead of ignoring them, will report them.

Sawo

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If I know someone is a gold buyer, I again will not associate with them, but instead of ignoring them, will report them.
Some games dont mind it, infact, if you sell it like "compensation for used time to gain it" theres nothing they can do. Game companies own ingame items, but not the time some person has used to gain item/gold. But thats why there are massive end user agreements these days :p

S

SWATJester

Well, I hope this week's wrapup (which I just finished writing) will put a different spin on the outcome. I personally have nothing against gold sellers, RMT, or power levelers, I've even used them in the past. I'm firmly of the opinion that "It's my money, I should be able to spend it however I want, and who are you to condemn me for it?" If you don't like gold selling/buying, don't do it, but that's your own choice, and you have no right to criticize those who do buy for making that choice.

That being said, it certainly hinges on the sellers themselves behaving and not spamming people. If you choose not to participate in gold selling, you should not be forced to listen to spammers all day. That's as much your right as it is other people's to do it.

Again, hopefully this week's wrapup should shed a bit more light on the subject.

Also for those of you going to PAX 2008, I'm going to be lecturing on the topic in a panel called "Legal Issues in Contemporary Video Gaming", on Sunday the 31st at 3pm, so check it out!

dp_dropout

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Sawo

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aaaaaaand..... Goldfarmers are generally from China so not US nor EU laws can reach them.

O

OldDuke

It's a US court so the entire lawsuit has no international repercussion.
If the EU doesn't make some kind of law against it, I doubt it will have an impact on European gold farmers and power levelling services.
And we all know things are handled differently (I'm not saying 'better') in the EU than in the US. Just ask Microsoft.
As with the thepiratebay.org American law dont apply in europe, even tough they like to think so.

So for me and the rest of the world this means ****. And we in europe aint bought by the big and mighty corps like it is in the US! :fight: