Top 10 Annoying things in UO...

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Oct 6, 2013
Developers breaking everything they touch and only mind fixing the half of it afterwards.

All of them acting like they never heard of a bug we been talking about in a 10 page frontpage thread here.

Developers saying they fixed an issue but didn't even bother to boot both clients to test it.

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 13, 2008
Outer Hebrides
I honestly think that if you're in fel, regardless of whether you're red, blue, VvV or whatever, you need to be in a fel chat channel without the ability to bother the rest of the UO world with the constant smack talk, bickering, whining and name calling. It's like watching chat from a kindergarten with expletives go by sometimes.

Not to mention that those on Europa, at least, seem to spend at least twice the time on the above as they do actually pvp'ing.

Reactions: Mervyn and Valura

Innessa

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Feb 20, 2013
Being a crafter, my main pet peeves revolve around crafting related things :

1) PoF. Whoever created these belonged to a satanic cult of people who love to see others in pain. Seriously. one click at a time per PoF use? Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. This design is pure evil. Also, why do i have to right click and click buy on each bottle from a vendor? I have to buy hundreds of these and its also giving me carpal tunnel syndrome.
2) There should be nothing in the game you can find, including legendary items that are better than something the best crafters can make. Expert craftsman should always be have the ability to craft the best items in the game, otherwise people will (and do) just buy legendaries instead. These top items should be very difficult to craft and costly, but it should be possible, otherwise crafting becomes less of a useful professional.
3) The imbuing weight cap needs to be raised. Equipment has gotten better over the years since this mechanic came out, but imbuers are still limited to 500 weight or less. (on most items, 2 H weapons being the exception) this should be bumped across the board.
4) There should be an in game way to get Forged Metal Tools. why is this pay only? add it to the BOD system or something.
5) Reduce the weight of plain gems like sapphires, rubies etc please. They are too heavy so I cant carry very much in my hands while I'm crafting. Have to constantly drag and drop more gems into my backpack as i use them up like tic-tacs.
6) Runic Reforging - add runic tools for tinkering
7) add more options to imbuing in terms of what you can imbue such as some of the new properties like casting focus or damage eater. Why is this only doable via runic reforging? update update update, imbuing needs love.
8) More soulforges. Lets see different kinds of soulforges other than the standard 9x9 and the 100m+ single tile.
9) Vendor search - this drives me nuts when it doesnt work, and that happens very frequently. at least 1 out of every 3 tries it wont find anything and when you try it again later it finds tons of stuff. ugh. annoying when you are looking to buy crafting materials or runics and cant get VS working.

Thats it for now.

Innessa Lelania
Royal Artificers Crafting Services Inc.
ICQ 703695133

Reactions: MalagAste

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 13, 2008
Outer Hebrides
Taming gains. For the love of what's left of my sanity, will someone please sort this out. I've tamed 75 bulls this morning, and haven't even got my daily .1 out of it. Yes, I have points to gain. No, I'm not wearing skill jewellery. Yes, I've switched locations, from Jhelom farm to Trinsic & back. I'm apparently stuck at 109 right now!

Edit: another 11 bulls, for a total of 86, and I finally get my daily .1

This is ridiculous. Especially since I got .2 within 20 bulls yesterday, but gave up after 100 bulls the day before!

Last edited:

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Nov 22, 2010
Taming gains. For the love of what's left of my sanity, will someone please sort this out. I've tamed 75 bulls this morning, and haven't even got my daily .1 out of it. Yes, I have points to gain. No, I'm not wearing skill jewellery. Yes, I've switched locations, from Jhelom farm to Trinsic & back. I'm apparently stuck at 109 right now!

Edit: another 11 bulls, for a total of 86, and I finally get my daily .1

This is ridiculous. Especially since I got .2 within 20 bulls yesterday, but gave up after 100 bulls the day before!
Do you have any taming masteries?

If so as @BeaIank stated:

1. Get yourself a bound boura or something and link it with a crystal ball
2. Stone everything sans taming, animal lore and set focus and meditation to raise. Make sure you have at least 90 taming
3. Get a high MR suit with high MI and as much int as possible
4. Make a macro that uses the combat training taming mastery and targets your bound pet
5. Cast it at your hearts content, Ignoring the gump that shows up.
6. Repeat pass 5 till you are out of mana, regen up, repeat pass 5.

You can even use the satyr trick this way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cailleach

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 13, 2008
Outer Hebrides
I've just been spamming the spell while I tame - this char has GM Magery, Legendary everything else except taming, which is now at 109.4

I really, really appreciate the advice, thank you for taking the time. Find it ridiculous to have to go to those lengths to raise a skill efficiently! I don't have enough soul stones to move everything off, but can certainly give it a shot to stand and spam the skill at a bonded pet.

Here's where I'm at so far today on my gains, just to really illustrate the ridiculous.

109.1 - 86 bulls
109.2 - 50 bulls
109.3 - 6 bulls
109.4 - 9 bulls

There is no logic!

Reactions: ShriNayne

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Oct 23, 2013
o Losing a swing when I do a bushido or chivalry move. This was introduced by Bleak in 2015, after years and years of not losing a swing. This was a bad way to implement this. If Bleak wanted chiv and bushido "spells" to take a second, then he could have added a second onto the swing timer instead of resetting it to zero which is a bigger penalty to those of us swinging with slower weapons.

o Classic client, losing the lifebar when someone dies. This is tremendously annoying. @Kyronix PLEASE FIX THIS. Do not disappear the lifebar if the poor dead being CAN BE RESURRECTED. For the love o' mike.

o Knowing Kyronix and Bleak and Mesanna by name. It's a fiction breaker. It's bad that my "fantasy world" is being changed by actual people whose actual names I actually know.

o Logging on, changing of resolution to full screen back and forth a kazillion times within the space of a couple of seconds. Half the time it crashes when attempting this. What the pancake. Use StretchBlt to make a nice convenient sized window, and don't do the changing to full screen until after the character has been selected.

o Make it easier to change the log file.

o On logging in, please put date, time, and character's name into the log file.

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Oct 23, 2013
o There should be a name change quest. Changing a name should be less intensive than changing to elf, right? Right?
o Speaking of which, there should be a change-to-gargoyle and change-from-gargoyle quest. Hey. Parity.
o There should be human and gargoyle equivalents to the Darkwood suit.
o So, um, those faction morph earrings don't really work for gargoyles, y' know.
o Antique. Cursed. Brittle. Yes, Kyronix, I DO want to keep my nice things forever.
o Things lose a point of perma-durability whenever they are repaired. I repaired something that was 254/255; legendary blacksmith, awesome totem, +60 ancient hammer. It lost perma-durability to become 254/254. What the pancake. You would expect a grandmaster and above to be able to make it better than it was. Yes, Kyronix, I DO want to keep my nice things forever.
o Randomness when reforging. Just let me pick the pancaking properties I want. Oh wait, that sounds like imbuing? Crafting for properties has become a HUGE mess. All this omelet should be integrated.

Reactions: ShriNayne and Pix

Caitlyn Snow

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Nov 19, 2015
Most annoying things in UO
1. Bandis being looted off my corpse by freaking rat men.
2. Animal Lore Gump has to close before you can use skill again.
3. Being disarmed by dinosaurs.
4. The long trek to Navrey.
5. Anything the Devs push out “on time”
6. That I can’t auto harvest my plants from Garden Beds. Carpal tunnel.
7. The economy.
8. Atlantic.
9. The stupid griefer who keeps dragging sea serpents to my boats when I’m trying to train my bard. Seriously I have .7 to go leave me alone!
10. The PK guild on Drachenfels.

None of these are game breaking (except for the occasional #5) but are the things that have me swearing at my monitor each night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 13, 2008
Outer Hebrides
I've had some spectacular gains over the last couple of days. They've happened spamming the spell and taming at the same time. I'm at 113 now :)

Thanks to everyone who has been kind enough to offer advice, it's much appreciated.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Aug 21, 2000
Great Lakes
uorpc.net
I've had some spectacular gains over the last couple of days. They've happened spamming the spell and taming at the same time. I'm at 113 now :)

Thanks to everyone who has been kind enough to offer advice, it's much appreciated.
I used to tame Unicorns... 6 a day get my .1 for the day 2 at a time turn them in to the Zoo... rinse and repeat for all my tamers.

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 13, 2008
Outer Hebrides
I started at 111.3 this afternoon, and have just hit 115. Over 400 bulls, but my leather collection is impressive now :p

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Oct 23, 2013
Please fix
1. Light at champ spawns.
o How to reproduce:
Classic client.
Walking away from a champ spawn, one encounters a zone of darkness.
o Discussion:
People with nightsight item(s) and elves should not go completely dark, ever.
o How to fix:
Check to see if the person is equipped with nightsight item(s), or is an elf, before changing to complete darkness.

2. Felucca facet desolated landscape in places that are distinctly not Felucca facet
o How to reproduce:
Classic client.
Visit the Felucca facet.
Then visit another facet (notably Trammel and Eodon).
After a few minutes, the Entering-Felucca warning sound will play, and the landscape will be replaced by the desolated gravestone and defoliated landscape of Felucca facet.
o How to fix:
Check to see if a character is actually in Felucca facet before playing the sound and changing the landscape to Felucca facet defoliated landscape.

3. I lost my spell icon!
o How to reproduce:
Classic client.
Start running in any direction.
Did you lose the spell icon that was under the pointer because you clicked on it when you wanted to run that direction? That happens WAY too often.
This is a design flaw that has been present since 1997.
o How to fix:
There are several ways to fix this.
a) Double-right. All spell icons would require a double-right-click to dismiss.
b) The option option. Shift-click a spell icon to bring up a context menu that would allow you to set single or double right click to dismiss, or "no dismissing with right" or "dismiss now."

4. Lost lifebars
o How to reproduce:
Classic client. Have lifebars for your friends and their pets.
A person or pet died. Usually you lose the lifebar.
o How to fix:
Don't lose the lifebar for anything that can be resurrected.

5. Lost ninja form on logging in
o How to reproduce:
Be a ninja. Be in a ninja form such as ninja dog form. Lose connection.
You change back to your human or elf or gargoyle form when you log in.
o How to fix:
Don't lose the form when logging in.
This doesn't happen to, e.g., necromancy vampire form, so whatever you're
doing for them, do for ninja forms too.

6. Death Strike does less damage than not using it
o How to reproduce:
Be a ninja.
Hit your foe with your weapon. Note how much damage you just did to your foe.
Use death strike. Hit your foe with your weapon. Note that the damage you did
to your foe is much less than not using death strike.
You facepalm because of the waste of mana.
Yes, I know that it's supposed to give a bonus if used when running or whatever.
But, you know, the *character* has dexterity because the *player* doesn't.
o How to fix:
If there's no running or whatever involved, do the same thing as the Bushido lightning strike.

7. Fix Justice gain
o Discussion
The only way to gain Justice these days is by abusing two accounts.
There are no red-named murderers any more because they've all used a
Royal Forged Pardon.
This is dumb.
o How to fix:
Allow gain of Justice by killing ANY red-named thing under the Fel PvP ruleset.
Seriously, from a role-playing standpoint, how is a character
supposed to know that he's killing a "real person" as opposed to an "NPC"?
Introduce "Justice Sage" which would be the equivalent for Justice as "Compassion Sage"
is for Compassion.

8. Female gargoyle walking east with large shield leaves shmutz on screen when she stops.
o How to reproduce:
Classic client.
Be a female gargoyle.
Equip a large shield.
Walk east. Stop. Note that the there is one frame of the shield walk animation left behind.
o How to fix:
I don't know. That area has to be "restored" when the gargoyle stops walking, if that's how you're doing your "sprites."
If that IS how you are doing your sprites, you might consider just restoring the whole background every frame -- computers today are fast enough to keep up for a reasonable 30 fps.

9. Rare pieces of named armor.
e.g. Greymist armor, Myrmidon armor, Assassin armor
These suits have "rare" pieces.
This means that just about no one has a complete suit, and we can't trade to get them
because we are ALL missing the SAME pieces.
o How to fix:
Make all the named armor suit pieces have the same drop rate.

9. The game has become less rewarding.
o The drop rate of goodies in Doom Gauntlet is much less than it was historically.
o The drop rate of Eodon recipes and armor pieces is low.
o Named armor pieces (e.g. Gremist armor, Myrmidon armor, Assassin armor) are too hard to get.
o The drop rate of Minax items in Dungeon Blackthorn from fighting typical monsters other than the town bubbles has decreased from 6/hour to 3/hour to currently about 1/hour.
o I did not get the crimson cincture, ever.
o Discussion:
These reductions have made it so that the average player is going to give up on getting these things. Overheard: "This is not fun."
o How to fix: determine which of the Dev team has a gambling problem, and DO NOT let him or her be the one to set the drop rate. People with gambling addictions are willing to accept reward frequencies lower than a normal person would.

10. The new Doom gauntlet is not fun.
o Discussion:
We aren't all uber sampires with uber equipment.
o How to fix:
Revert the Doom gauntlet and just add the new items to the list of things that drop.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Nov 4, 2011
Curitiba, Brazil
Do you have any taming masteries?

If so as @BeaIank stated:

1. Get yourself a bound boura or something and link it with a crystal ball
2. Stone everything sans taming, animal lore and set focus and meditation to raise. Make sure you have at least 90 taming
3. Get a high MR suit with high MI and as much int as possible
4. Make a macro that uses the combat training taming mastery and targets your bound pet
5. Cast it at your hearts content, Ignoring the gump that shows up.
6. Repeat pass 5 till you are out of mana, regen up, repeat pass 5.

You can even use the satyr trick this way.
This unfortunately only works if you have 90+ taming.
Otherwise it is a sanity draining mess.
Seriously, allow us to gain taming by actually controlling our pets. The lower the chance for it to obey our commands, the fastest the gains we get.
The mastery helps plenty, but does nothing for you if you have under 90 taming.

Also, the drop rates are ridiculous.
I pretty much see one crimson drop PER YEAR from Dreadhorn.
Sure, I can get a generic one by spending 4 to 6 hours killing Minax captains, but really, that isn't the answer to the bloody low drop rate from peerless bosses.
I can't get effing travesty masks by killing Minax captains for one.

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 13, 2008
Outer Hebrides
I have 116.9 now, and the speed of the gains when you add the mastery is really, really good. But you shouldn't have to rely on the mastery for decent gains!

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Oct 6, 2013
I really, really appreciate the advice, thank you for taking the time. Find it ridiculous to have to go to those lengths to raise a skill efficiently! I don't have enough soul stones to move everything off, but can certainly give it a shot to stand and spam the skill at a bonded pet.

Here's where I'm at so far today on my gains, just to really illustrate the ridiculous.

109.1 - 86 bulls
109.2 - 50 bulls
109.3 - 6 bulls
109.4 - 9 bulls

There is no logic!
I've never had a tamer but I played a lot of games throughout the years.

Barely I've seen games where you can fully master a skill without using it on anything past noob level. If anything, there is little logic in mastering the whole taming skill by only taming peaceful bulls and not a single fierce beast.

Just my two cents...

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Oct 23, 2013
o When you read a player-written book using the Enhanced Client, the book is totally trashed for anyone with Classic Client. This bug has damaged or led to the destruction of many "guestbooks."
o It is annoying that OBVIOUS bugs like that mentioned above persist for YEARS despite people reporting them.
o The Classic Client did not get the macroing capabilities etc. of the Enhanced client (right at the moment, Dec 2017, there's a thread about UOAssist being broken). It sure would be nice to have some of those enhancements without having the ugly of the Enhanced client.

Gameboy

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 25, 2008
Tucson, AZ
Man, it does amaze me that people complain about this game, and yet dish out money one multiple accounts. I might be wrong but my understanding is that's like 6 people working on the game? I don't know, I guess I just don't do what other people do enough to complain about it. *shrugs*

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Aug 21, 2000
Great Lakes
uorpc.net
Man, it does amaze me that people complain about this game, and yet dish out money one multiple accounts. I might be wrong but my understanding is that's like 6 people working on the game? I don't know, I guess I just don't do what other people do enough to complain about it. *shrugs*
Doesn't excuse not fixing game breaking issues...

Gameboy

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 25, 2008
Tucson, AZ
Doesn't excuse not fixing game breaking issues...
Sure the issues should be fixed, but every game has it's issues. Sometimes though its seems all there is, is issues. Let me ask you this @MalagAste and be honest with me, do you enjoy the game? I'm just looking for a simple yes or no.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Aug 21, 2000
Great Lakes
uorpc.net
Sure the issues should be fixed, but every game has it's issues. Sometimes though its seems all there is, is issues. Let me ask you this @MalagAste and be honest with me, do you enjoy the game? I'm just looking for a simple yes or no.
Less and less all the time. I know you want a simple yes or no but this isn't really a yes or no question.

I enjoy the friends I have in UO... There are a few activities I can still do which don't instantly piss me off. But my friends want to do things that do instantly piss me off. Like EM Events. Once upon a time these were some of the best fun in UO... RP... they did things with the RP community.... it fed right into the RP we did in game... Then it became a battle of wills... if you will... Greed took over the EM Events... and now it's all about the drop.... no one gives a crap about all the hard work the EMs put into the story behind everything it's all about getting that 100M+ item to sell... they are rude, vulgar, inconsiderate and spoil the Event for everyone else... spamming spells, making vulgar and rude comments, standing on the EM and not moving... bringing their dragons/etc in to every tiny room, continually casting RCs and EVs... even when it's obviously a talking no spawn event... etc...

The vulgarity of chat in Gen chat and the attitudes when anyone asks for help or tries to assist anyone is getting old... The fact that the "help" channel is basically the Gold selling bot channel.... and you can't really stand to be in there and actually try to assist a new player...

The fact that I haven't been able to loot a public corpse at an Event in over 3 years... (*This BTW is GAME BREAKING IMO)..... still not fixed...

Dying takes 1.2 to 1.5 seconds now in the EC... long enough to hold a complete conversation about where you died and ask for help and know someone else is actually standing by you waiting to rez you yet you haven't actually died yet your just locked up frozen... waiting for the death screen to get the rez... sort of time it now takes to die... again GAME BREAKING... still not fixed.

I have to play without being able to see my spells... or anyones spells for that matter... because they can't fix the code so they just turn it off...

Yes every game has issues... but most other games fix them... especially the ones that pretty much ruin gameplay. But I love UO so much because there is NOTHING ELSE even remotely close to what UO offers working or not... there isn't anywhere else to go. Otherwise I'd have left long ago... leaving all the frustration behind... but because I do LOVE UO so much... I stick around continuing to feed money in at an alarming rate probably paying at least 1/2 of someones salary every month... because I keep hoping it'll get better and I can go back to enjoying the game...

But instead I just keep getting more frustrated. With the way things look, play/don't play... work/don't work.... etc...

And at this point in my life I'm rather at the point I don't want to learn another game... I'm old set in my ways...

Gameboy

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 25, 2008
Tucson, AZ
For me I will this. I played a game called FFXIV. I got to max level did all the story quests and it was good. Though the game had a story quest that you HAD to do to keep moving the story forward. These quests got me very frustrated, as my skill set is I will say slower then most. I complained so much about it I got kicked from the guild I was in. I took a long hard look at it, and said it's not worth it. I deleted my character closed my account and moved on.

Granted I do not much about you, but I get the impression you've been around UO for long time. Really in the short time I've played (90 months on and off) I learned just to go with the flow. I play a game. I play. I play to have fun and relax. If I am not doing those things I just don't see much of a reason to continue. UO is what it is. Like it, Love it. Hate it, whatever. But I would sure like to see less things negative about it :( No game imo has better housing, the skills to make your charter your own is great, I personally like the new pet system. I don't people don't of course.

I mean looking at all the badges you have one might get the false impression you ♥ the game :D