• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Tonight - No Honor Amongst Thieves

EM Dudley

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tonight's stealing event, "No Honor Amongst Thieves" will be a hybrid Trammel/Felucca style event. There will be a gate from Luna Bank beginning at 7:30pm ET.

There are two roles to play...

You may either choose to be a thief, which will of course require stealing skills (At least 100 for the Tram side of the event). You will also need to be a member of the Thieves guild in order to steal from the "marks"

If you are not a theif you may choose to serve as a "mark" which in this case you will be a deputized member of the Royal Postal Service.

Full details will be available at the event.

Hope to see you there!

T

Tancred RedStar

Will there be any or much pvp action in this event? I'm wondering how to come "dressed" for the event.

EM Dudley

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"Will there be any or much pvp action in this event? I'm wondering how to come "dressed" for the event."

For those who choose the role as a "royal postal carrier" you will be delivering letters in Felucca....so bring whatever you would normally wear in Felucca and expect anything you would in Felucca. Who knows what the thieves may come up with...

T

Tancred RedStar

I would not have billed this as a Stealing event. Stealing had near nothing to do with it, unlike the last event which even had the flair of the noblest crime, stealing pieces of art.

Instead, it was essentially put all the "postal carriers" on foot(severe disadvantage) and set them loose on a pre-determined path to walk across T2A into the pack of waiting reds with expectable results.

About the only letters that made it through were on the carriers that were in the same guild as the reds. I even gave up on carrying letters and tried to help defend against a few non-guilded reds, but that one carrier's buddies decided to kill me anyway I guess so that whatever reward there was would be kept/shared among them exclusively.

Suggested improvements:
  • Let the carriers use mounts, they'll probably still get ganked anyway, but at least give them a shot at escaping the pack of reds
  • Don't make them follow a pre-determined path, altho still require them to get from point A to point B - this favors knowing the terrain, bushwhacking through the wildnerness, getting creative and using a boat, e.g. - not walking straight into a trap.
  • Consider doing it in a guardzone so that the blind murdering does not upstage the focus of a *Stealing* event. Instead, the thieves would have to contend with not getting caught(clean steals) as well as evasion when they do steal but are noticed by their mark.
  • Revoke people's postal commission who are clearly gaming the system by protecting their guildies but killing everyone else.

EM Dudley

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the constructive feedback Tancred. It's comments like yours that will help us improve these stealing events...which are by far the hardest to come up with.

I'll admit the "Postmen" were at a real disadvantage...that was sort of intentional (you guys were patsys...what can I say? :grouphug: )

This isn't the last of this type event and your comments (and anyone else that has constructive criticism) will help us shape future ones.

Lord Gareth

UO Content Editor | UO Chesapeake & Rares News
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
I had tons of fun at this event, because it had so many options. (Which I'm not sure how, Drosselmeyer and Dudley kept up with it all). I believe we had four options, and the fourth was not really in writing.... but it gave me the opportunity to try and charm some Felucca murderers to not kill me, and let me make my delivery.

Trammel Thief - steal creates from trammel tailor shops

Royal Postman -
Deliver messages from Papua, to Delucia

Felucca Thief
- Steal messages from the Royal Postman

Murderer - Kill the Royal Postman and the Thief

Looking back at it, I am sure some people worked things out, but thats the way of the Felucca world. I was actually SHOCKED to make it from Del to Paps alive on Merik. BamBam just took a 52point shot at me, but then to my surprise he let me go. The person(s) I had to worry about was Tom and Tom LoL. They chased me all around Papua (I didn't have a letter on me, Tom) It was fun because I know who Tom and Tom are, but they had a job to do. Stop me from making the delivery.

I believe this event gave more RP options then many people realized. You could Hire a stealther, Hire a mercenary, Build a barricade, Setup a toll booth, Bribe a town to keep you protected, Betray the postmaster, Write a concerned letter to the Commander about certain tow... (maybe I shouldn't say that), Betray Scarlet, Put the guard box in the Royal mailbox. I honestly had tons of fun at this event and wasnt frustrated at all. *And I want to know who got my first message in guards zone LoL*

Improvement wise I would say let the Postman use mounts, and give a few options in the routes.

T

Tancred RedStar

One idea, that I just learned about today, might be to do a similar event with shipping. There is a new ship command coming with High Seas called tracking that will show the nearest five ships that are 200 tiles or less away. That could make for some interesting pursuit or evasion. It's those sorts of situations that might make the oceans feel so vast and open you can sail anywhere, or perhaps have nowhere to hide.

EM Dudley

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is definitely a mechanic we will use again. Would the postmen being on mounts make it to difficult for them to be stolen from?

As far as locations go...it's kind of tough because it's better to avoid the faction cities...hrmm....did someone say Dungeon?

*grins*

WildStar

UO Baja News Reporter
Reporter
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I was there on a character that was not assocated with any guild or town or that anyone on Chessy knows about. I was killed the first time but made it thru with the letter the second time.

WildStar

T

Tancred RedStar

Im not sure holding it in a dungeon would help. The "thief" team just as soon kill all the postal carriers and take the unblessable item off the corpse cuz its a lot easier than trying to snoop and then steal the item. What's a murder count or two these days anyway?

One other idea that came to mind is have a mail box(maybe hued somehow) so people can just drop it in there safely rather than having a to hand it in. I know some people had trouble finding the receiver RPC. This way, it also in effect "keeps score" as the named of the depositor is affixed when they put it in, one less screen to keep track of and multiple people can do drops simultaneously, esp if theyre flagged for combat with pursuers and don't have time to wait around, lol

In some ways, it's almost as if the thieves would have been better suited to being the letter carriers as they can hide and stealth their way to safety and deliver the mail and people killing them wouldnt have to take murder counts, lol