• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Auction] "Token of Skill Alacrity" with Scroll Graphic - Rare/(almost???)Unique

SteelRust

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Ok, this is a funny item indeed.

Its history - It’a a Bug or it’s a Feature???

When I came back to UO at the beginning of 2018, after a hiatus of more or less 15 years, I was in need of a decent suit, so I bought from a Vendor on ATL a "New Player Starter Kit Token" Deed (from now on: NPSKT - the one that was given to new players subscribing with the Stygian Abyss expansion - New Player Starter Kit Token - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia).
I had just returned to the game, so I had some confused ideas about what “Account/Char/Shard Locked" items were (non much of them when I last played UO in around 2003).
I was “just a little” pixxed when I discovered that I, not being the original proprietor of the Deed, was unable to use it to obtain the Armor of Initiation I bought it for (and that, BTW, I’m still searching for for my Armor collection: [Buying] - [ATL] - Various Armor sets & pieces).
I ranted a little (A LOT, actually!) on the Official UO Forum, but at the end I surrended myself to the harsh realty and tucked away the Deed in my Bank Box for a future collection/resale.
Some days after that, I copied the Char with the said deed in his BB to TC1 for experimenting with the impeding new release (99? 100? I don’t remember).
When I logged with the copied Char on TC1 I saw that the deed (STILL IN THE BB!!!, and that is REALLY frightening, IMO) got transformed in a "Token of Skill Alacrity" Scroll. I didn't mind the fact, because I know by then that certain items cannot go on TC1 and/or get transformed getting there.
When, a couple of days after that, I logged with the “original” Char on its Prodo Shard (ATL) I opened his BB, where the original "New palyer Starter Kit Token" Deed was stored, and discovered that... it too has been transformed (see image attcahed) in a "Token of Skill Alacrity" Scroll!!!
After another round of heavy ranting, I come to the conclusion (my opinion, of course) that, in launching the new EJ “Deluxe Starter Pack” (with the Journeyman Armor and such) the UO Devs Team should have “recycled” the DB category of the original NPSKT for the ToSA included in the EJ-DSK, and so doing “retroconned” the already existing NPSKT Deeds still around (there are many others of them around beside mine? Boh!).
But the “retroconning” apparently interested only the NAME of the item, NOT its graphic, that remained that of a Scroll instead of the gold token one of the actual ToSA that you get when you buy a EJ-DSK on UO Store.

Is It Legit?

For what I read even her on Stratic the item seems to be Legit, and my questions about its legitimacy at Mesanna never got a negative answer (never got ANY answer AT ALL, AAMOF, but this is another issue…:p).

And… Why Should We Care???

All the above Sermon was to say that I’m Auctioning here this RARE (???) item, with this rules:

0) The Auction will start now and close February the 8 at midnight EST;
1) No Formal Reserve, but I reserve the right to NOT sell it if the offers received (if any… ) will not be satisfactory for me;
2) Immediate Buyout is 1 platinum (and, yes, I know this BO probably is crazy, but nobody forces anyone to do it...;));
3) I accept ONLY public offers posted in this thread, no PM (but PM are absolutely welcome if you need more info or just drop by to say Hello! and/or something less flattering...:));
4) Feel free to post on this thread any observation you want to make public: I will try to reply at the best of my capabilities/knowledge;
5) "Winslow Leach: "All articles which have been excluded shall be deemed included." What does that mean?
Swan: That's a clause to protect you, Winslow.".
(Quote - De Palma’s “Phantom of the Paradise” - Phantom of the Paradise - Wikiquote)

Cheers
SR
847neecc61pf.jpg

Last edited:

panoramix2009

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
look both version maybe when is used is turn token version cause the token is used name on it
upload_2019-2-1_6-12-54.png

SteelRust

Sage
Stratics Veteran
look both version maybe when is used is turn token version cause the token is used name on it
View attachment 92849
I see, thanks for the post. So the difference, if I understand well, is that mine is stiil in Scroll form and/but without a "User Name" on it? So it is even more rarer then? o.0;)

BTW: the ToSA you get with the EJ Kit are given already in Token form with a Char Name on it...
SR

Last edited:

SteelRust

Sage
Stratics Veteran
i said the token version have name not the scroll
Noted. So all the NPSKT that were in peoples collections mutated? I think that one of the main points is that this item, named or not, shouldn't exist at all. My sale beside, I'm really curious to know how many of them are floating around. This, and, as I wrote, more than a little alarmed that the "mutation" happened (for me, at least) when the item was SECURED IN MY BANK BOX...:eek:

PS: Obviously I can't try to "use" it, because it wasn't originally "issued" to one of my Chars.

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I have one, to my knowledge they all changed name after a certain patch hit :(.

SteelRust

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I have one, to my knowledge they all changed name after a certain patch hit :(.
That I suppose too, at this point.

BTW: your mutated NPSKT was originally "issued" to one of your Chars? And, if yes, is it now still "Char named" as the original NPSKT Deed was, or not?

SR

Last edited:

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
BTW: your mutated NPSKT was originally "issued" to one of your Chars? And, if yes, is it now still "Char named" as the original NPSKT Deed was, or not?
They're all bugged now, the box seems fine but the deed is tagged as a "Token Of Skill Alacrity" and the player's name was removed.

upload_2019-2-1_8-4-1.png