• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

To all that were quitting if SA was NOT KR only..

Arcus

Grand Poobah
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
...I'm curious to hear what you say now? You still quitting now that you know that SA will be BOTH KR and 2D.

Arcus

Grand Poobah
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
...I'm curious to hear what you say now? You still quitting now that you know that SA will be BOTH KR and 2D.
Well obviously not if it's for both clients, silly.
You must not remember...there was a huge outcry from people (pro-KR) when there was a suggestion that SA would be 2D and KR becuase it would continue to hold back the game. They said if SA was 2D compatible they would quit.

Doomsday Dragon

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am more interested in the SA client. If it proves to be a good thing I may finally give up 2d. I highly doubt the new client will be much more than a refurbished KR client though.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Once the Town Hall has officially concluded, I'll be posting a detailed post on my thoughts on the news about the news of the new new client, SA's client requirements and whatnot.

Chad Sexington

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well obviously not if it's for both clients, silly.
You must not remember...there was a huge outcry from people (pro-KR) when there was a suggestion that SA would be 2D and KR becuase it would continue to hold back the game. They said if SA was 2D compatible they would quit.
Yeah, there were some people who said they would quit because 2D would be taking away from the dev's time. They wanted KR only for SA and eventually do away with 2D completely.

:scholar:

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Yeah, there were some people who said they would quit because 2D would be taking away from the dev's time. They wanted KR only for SA and eventually do away with 2D completely.

Other than the quitting part, that is the position I hold. Not out of some misguided hate of the Legacy client but because I I believe it would be better for the game as a whole to do so.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Updated and called the SA client. Basically a wholesale rebuild of the KR clientusing the same engine (which could have been done piecemeal via patches, but apparently they are in theory taking all of the feedback and doing it all at once).

I guess by that nature, you can call the KR client the beta version of the SA client... and I'm fine with doing that.

Draxous

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Other than the quitting part, that is the position I hold. Not out of some misguided hate of the Legacy client but because I I believe it would be better for the game as a whole to do so.
The only way the playerbase will adopt a new client, is if the user interface mimics the 2d UI.

This is the very reason I hated UO3d and have hated KR since it's release. I play Ultima Online... when I log into Ultima Online, I want it to look and feel like the game I have been playing for over a decade now... not some stupid WOW, cookie-cut clone.

Upgrade the graphics... cool, I'm all for that. Add options for different UI's... cool, I'm all for that. But don't hand me something that doesn't resemble what I've been playing and loving for over a decade now and expect me to be satisfied with that kind of an "upgrade."

I want a backpack that allows me to drag items anywhere... not a bunch of boxes with an item in each... and I want it to LOOK like a backpack... not a brown box. I want a chest to LOOK like a chest and not a grey box. And so forth...

I want to cast a spell and it not go off until I click the target.

I want what I have right here, right now. I will not settle for less, but I will consider any offers for more.

The End.

Beefybone

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'll be happy to use a new client if it has the functionality. The chat system in KR is terrible.

L

Lily

My subscription ends in a few days and I have no plans to renew. However, I was planning to do that before today's Town Hall.

The expansion details aren't actually OUT yet. As far as I'm concerned, that is just Town Hall fodder like everything else that is mentioned but isn't *real* until you see it on your own computer when you log in.

What I want to know is whether or not the gamebryo game engine will be used to its full potential in the SA expansion, or if it will remain tile-based as it is currently. THAT is the criteria, not whether or not 2D players can "go there," which is all the information that they seem to have given. (although i haven't listened to the town hall meeting, I've just been reading the info posted here so...) I don't care if someone in that antiquated client can "go" to the Stygian Abyss... it's whether or not they will do what they said they would do and use gamebryo to IMPROVE play in the KR client. It's all about progress! IF they dumb it down to the current tile-based KR like they said they would NOT, JUST so 2D players can also play the expansion, that would be very disappointing to me and to many other players who enjoy playing KR.

Lily