• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Suggestion] To All Modders - Standardized Custom Menus and Save Methods

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I don't know whether this would fly or not, but I'm one of those who likes picking and choosing, and I'll find I like one thing from one custom UI, and another thing from another. The problem is that when you try to pull a mod out of one custom UI and put it into another I find you end up with conflicts between menus and save methods.

It would be nice if there was a standardized custom menu format and save method that all the mods used, so that you could easily mix and match and grab one mod that you like from one custom UI and plop it into another one, and it would just work. I believe Copper Enhanced uses a custom UI save mod that might be a good place to start, while I like Lucitus' method for his menu for custom settings.

I realize getting all the modders to agree on a standard like this might be a bit like herding cats, but I thought it was worth making the suggestion anyway... :)

lucitus

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't know whether this would fly or not, but I'm one of those who likes picking and choosing, and I'll find I like one thing from one custom UI, and another thing from another. The problem is that when you try to pull a mod out of one custom UI and put it into another I find you end up with conflicts between menus and save methods.

It would be nice if there was a standardized custom menu format and save method that all the mods used, so that you could easily mix and match and grab one mod that you like from one custom UI and plop it into another one, and it would just work. I believe Copper Enhanced uses a custom UI save mod that might be a good place to start, while I like Lucitus' method for his menu for custom settings.

I realize getting all the modders to agree on a standard like this might be a bit like herding cats, but I thought it was worth making the suggestion anyway... :)
Iam in the process of making the Interface compatible to other mod files you can download at modders exchange.

I use a very old version of the custom settings, but they are working fine and i have understood them how they work. A great idea of the developer of the custom settings thank you at this point!

I have thought a long time about how to make skins for my Interface, i got a few ideas but nothing really concret.

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I too would love to see this happen. I really like the look of Copper Enhanced, as I can't stand the garrish colors of the default skin... But I also like the Lucis Interface for the function it delivers.

Dermott, Illandril, Gildar and Lucitus should join forces to make one EC skin to rule them all ;)

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dermott, Illandril, Gildar and Lucitus should join forces to make one EC skin to rule them all ;)
Psst... Illandril and Gildar are both the same loser ;)

If Lucitus updates his skin to use the latest version of the CustomSettings, CustomLocalization, and CustomSettingsWindow mods, then I think every skin talked about on Stratics (that still works) should be using the same framework for custom menus and save methods.

Unfortunately, I found a few drawbacks in the old version of CustomSettings that Lucitus has been using, and when I updated it I had to break backwards compatibility.

lucitus

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Psst... Illandril and Gildar are both the same loser ;)

If Lucitus updates his skin to use the latest version of the CustomSettings, CustomLocalization, and CustomSettingsWindow mods, then I think every skin talked about on Stratics (that still works) should be using the same framework for custom menus and save methods.

Unfortunately, I found a few drawbacks in the old version of CustomSettings that Lucitus has been using, and when I updated it I had to break backwards compatibility.
But i think it is the difference between both mods, which gives me so much! I have no problem in joining your Dev Team, but then we have one standarized Interfacemodification without the differences. So i can look to my neighbour and see ahh they have a module based interface now, what are the differnces and pros and cons with that, are there maybe problems the players are complaining about or good features the players like.

What we can do is a new Interface mod, with new skin and new ideas, lets discuss this if you want gildar you can pm me if you are interested. This means not you and I am disableing the support of our current created Interface Mods.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Don't forget Zym... without him we wouldn;t have a good version of the UO font :)

I'm willing to do some of the graphics and XML work, but to be honest, I haven't really had any good brainstorms for themes lately.

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Copper & Stone Enhanced are both pleasing to look at as the hues are subtle and lend themselves well to an unobtrusive UI.

If the coders agree on a standardized format for modules, then skins can be the containers which make it all look pretty. This will allow people to pick and choose the modules they want and the skin they like the best :)