• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Tips/tricks for a spreadsheet to inventory my accounts/characters?

SugarMMM

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm looking to inventory all of 13 of my accounts and all of the characters on them.

I started thinking about this because of the holiday gift boxes and I am a hoarder and I have no idea what I have! Hehe

So tell me how you do it. How do you list all of the different gift box patterns, shapes and colors?

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Excel, 1 tab per shard.
List on each tab:
Account name, character name, template description.

I move any valuables to my event character...

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
for me, it's too much to keep track of. i put all the gifts on 1 character on each shard then i transfer them to sonoma and chessy (the 2 shards i play the most). on sonoma, i have a castle dedicated to storing gifts.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I will say this, just for consideration...

Unless it is a rare that you might want to display, I think you are better off using the dummy characters on the shards themselves as storage instead of trying to horde them all up in one place. 6 character slots (assuming 1 to play) between bank boxes and backpacks is 1,512 items of storage space. If you put them all on a blue bug it goes up to 2,262. That is a lot of free storage for misc holiday items per shard. Leaving them on those shards frees up more space in your house (so you can horde more of something else!)

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I'm looking to inventory all of 13 of my accounts and all of the characters on them.

I started thinking about this because of the holiday gift boxes and I am a hoarder and I have no idea what I have! Hehe

So tell me how you do it. How do you list all of the different gift box patterns, shapes and colors?
There have been pics posted to Stratics of all the gift boxes. Maybe just print that and check them off? Multiple checks for the same box? When it comes to the color variations it sounds like a little bit of a nightmare to me :p

Corwyn

Lake Superior Tabloid Journalist
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
To be perfectly honest, I think a database would be a better option for keeping track of collections. To me, a database is much cleaner to deal with. The initial setup can be a challenge, but once they're done (and done well), they are invaluable.

Yes, I am geeky enough to set up databases from time to time... just for fun. (Really need a good nerd emoticon inserted here)

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
throw them away for points if worth it, give to new players, put all on one or char chars per shard. there are so many gifts out there, a lot will never be worth much unless rare.

Gamer_Goblin

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Learn vertical lookups. AKA vLookups. Excel's wizard will give you four fields to complete for the vLookup. The first field is the cell you're looking for in another group of cells. The next field is the group of cells you want to look in and you can select multiple columns, but the value you're looking for has to be in the leftmost column. The third field is which column you want in your range of cells to return if it finds a match. And I always use FALSE in the last field.

This will let you quickly check and return values across multiple spreadsheets. So if you have a list of characters for example, you can keep separate lists of equipment, skills and just do a compilation to get info.

Also, I like to use reference formula's. Just type = and then click the cell you want to show. You can do this across tabs and even other spreadsheets. It'll put the network location, spreadsheet name, and tab name on the spreadsheet formula for you so long as you click = and stay in the cell before you click in the cell you want to reference. It doesn't even have to be in the same spreadsheet.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Google sheets is what i use for accounts, idocs, toons, houses, transfers etc... once its all set up its fantastic to run with. It may be a pain in the ass to set up, but let me tell you its a dream to have once its done.

Google sheets is free to use with a google account and you can view it from your phone if necessary. great tool to have for sure.