• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Mining] Tips for mining in fel

gortman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My miner/smith is contemplating mining trips to fel. He knows from playing in the old days that there are inherent risks involved from running into pkers, but the lure of double resources is hard to resist.

I've seen the posts that talk about putting a small bag behind a tree filled with the ore/ingots, wearing/carrying only the bare essentials, etc., but I'm curious if there are any other tips veterans out there could give me before my character makes the trip.

Here are some related questions:
* Does anyone use a fire beetle or is that like having a neon sign shouting "miner here for the killing!"? If no fire beetle, does the typical tactic involve mining until just below the weight limit and then recalling to a forge in a safe place?

* Do fel miners typically insure their sturdy digging tools, gargoyle pickaxes, prospector's tools, and mining gloves? I'm guessing yes on the gloves at least.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Baron Harkonnen

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi Gortman,
Fellow LA miner here. You really have nothing to worry about. Fel is the only place that I mine, or chop trees. I have been back playing UO for about 4 months now, mining an hour or two every day or so. In that amount of time, I think I have seen a total of 3 people while I have been mining. And that is only if I was near a town. No one has even looked at me twice. I have yet to see a RED in Fel.

There are also several productive mining areas inside of safe zones. Brit pass, cave near Minoc, and Delucia. All have forges right there also.

Good Luck, maybe I will run into you mining someday. Look for Boris.

J

[JD]

Fel is empty. Mine in a secluded area, and of course insure anything you couldn't part without permanently. Mining in fel gives you twice the resources (I think), and as a human you get another 20% (I think) bonus. Definitey worth mining in fel

G

Gowron

Perhaps I am a bit too cautious when mining in Fel. Reds do occassionally patrol some of the larger mining caves. With my miner, I always bring my fire beetle. I've got my recall hot keyed, so if I see the red name before it gets on screen, I'm just about out before they pass by.

Here are the themes I tend to stick to, though I have been known to deviate:

1. Maintain a low footprint. Mine, smelt with the fire beetle, move to another area, rinse and repeat until tools are used up, switch chars and do something else.

2. Avoid the areas where Reds are most likely to loiter. I tend to avoid the mountain ranges and caves near dungeons and faction strong holds.

3. The big mining caves are marked and well documented. Reds know where they are. Recognize the risk and act accordingly.

Delucia is a safe place to mine, but you cannot recall from that Fel town. Mine, smelt, deposit ingots and unused tools in the bank before heading out. Note that the passage to Delucia is an access point for a couple of T2A champ spawns.

K

Kallie Pigeon

Delucia is a safe place to mine, but you cannot recall from that Fel town. Mine, smelt, deposit ingots and unused tools in the bank before heading out. Note that the passage to Delucia is an access point for a couple of T2A champ spawns.
You can't recall from Fel Delucia? When did they make that change? LOL It's been so long since I was there that was the last place I mined but you could recall back then. What about going to Papua and through the mages shop?

gortman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi Gortman,
Fellow LA miner here. You really have nothing to worry about. Fel is the only place that I mine, or chop trees. I have been back playing UO for about 4 months now, mining an hour or two every day or so. In that amount of time, I think I have seen a total of 3 people while I have been mining. And that is only if I was near a town. No one has even looked at me twice. I have yet to see a RED in Fel.

There are also several productive mining areas inside of safe zones. Brit pass, cave near Minoc, and Delucia. All have forges right there also.

Good Luck, maybe I will run into you mining someday. Look for Boris.
Baron,

Hey, great to hear from another LA miner! I will definitely look for Boris. My miner/smith is Baldomar. Do you use a fire beetle while mining?

gortman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the great tips Gowron, and thanks to everyone else for your input too.

I can try this out myself tonight, but just curious if you can recall from one point in fel T2A to another point in fel T2A. That way you could use the mage's shop in Papua to get to T2A a little more safely.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I can try this out myself tonight, but just curious if you can recall from one point in fel T2A to another point in fel T2A. That way you could use the mage's shop in Papua to get to T2A a little more safely.
You cannot recall anywhere in Fel LL, not even within it. What I would do is put anything valuable in your bank box and then use Trinsic passage to go back and forth. Unless you are traversing during prime time I suspect you'll be safe 99% of the time.

-OBSIDIAN-

F

Faux Pas

Ya;ll are really afraid to die? It is very obvious you don't go to Fel.:) Twice the ore has it's price.

I die so often it has shown up in my skill list, Legandary don't ya know. :p

Baron Harkonnen

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey Gortman,
I use a blue beetle to carry my ore around. The only thing I keep is the colored ore. You know I am around when you see a pile of iron ore and regular granite about every 5-6 steps along a mountain side. I have more Iron then I will ever use.

If you want to get together sometime, we could do some Ore Elementals, and split the colored ore. Do you have your miner GM'ed?

Baron Harkonnen
Boris

K

Kallie Pigeon

Ya;ll are really afraid to die? It is very obvious you don't go to Fel.:) Twice the ore has it's price.

Fear what? You don't actually die . It's a game and you make of it what YOU want. Before Trammel I found ways to avoid getting PKed and I was in general quite sucessful however in Trammel I can just do whatever I want without having to take PK's into consideration and I find that play much more enjoyable.

the 4th man

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

It's not being afraid to die.....it's just a pain in the backside, and just one more thing you now have to do....getting rezzed n whatnot.

It's worth the risk, and, as posted, if you use your head, you'll rarely ever get wacked.