• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(Tip 7) Dust Cleaning for the Intermediate User

U

UOKaiser

Dust cleaning basicaly people just wipe there computer down with a napkin or towel. Well we taking it a couple of steps forward.

Keeping your PC clean is a very important and often overlooked. Not a difficult process in it self but for those who never bother there first time is like stepping into a nuclear reactor with no suit.

The keyboard
If you are a smoker like me or eat food at your station I assure you that thing is not as clean as it looks. The bacteria on those keys are cold to swine flu to man eating grade not to mention it's the number 1 cause for sticky keys.

The usual procedure people do is just place a damp towel to wipe the keys or use a air duster to wipe the dust between the keys then you say to your self great I feel clean. Not so fast it look clean doesn't mean it is. Let's step it up a bit. If the keyboard is still under warrenty don't do anymore other than shooting lysol at it.

Now if it's some sort of super advance NASA keyboard then am not sure if it's the same procedure for it. But most regular and gaming keyboards works basicaly in the same way.
Steps
1) Remove all screws from the back of keyboard. Don't lose them!.
2) Lift the first cover up
3) You will see a metel cover remove the screws from that and move to the side
4) The focus is the plastic type emulation of the keyboard.
5) There will be a double layer circuit board plastic sheet which you will put gently to the side.
6) The plastic emulation of the keyboard is one of the things you want to clean. Just wipe it down.
7) Clean any dirt,ashes,food out of everything you see.
8) Depending on the keyboard you might need to manualy un clip the keyboard keys (Really time consuming) remmeber where everything goes and remmeber space bar,shift and some others have a metal brace inside those I suggest you leave in place.Clean inside of the rest. The specialize keys like mouse on keyboard or webcam or media specialties they will probably have a rubber type emulation just clean that and replace.
9) Replace everything as you see line up the circuit board with the metal,keyboard emulation plastic and keys.
10) It's close to plug and play so mistakes a far in between. Just be cautious of the double layer plastic circuit board it's easy for it to slip out of place but just as easy to place it back.
11) Replace all screws and test.
12) You are done now the keyboard is clean for another year or if your like me another week :)

Flat screens
1) Always use Lcd cleaning fluid and the specialize towel for them. Don't take short cuts those screens get scrached and distorted easily. The rest of the monitor other than the screen can be cleaned like normal. Just don't give it a shower.

Mouse
Well do not open these unless you are a advance user. They are pretty sensitive inside for the right feel. We all know how important that is :).
Though using the same lcd fluid you can use to clean the optical lense from the outside. If it's a ball mouse please bring yourself to this decade.

PC tower
1) Unplug all cords including the power cord heading to the supply.
2) Before opening it touch something metal or wear a static band. Please refrain from doing this while standing on carpet.
3) Opening the pc can be screws or lever so it varies.
4) Open the cover and focus on those fans. I warn you ive seen from potato chips to dead rats inside of them so if you haven't open it ever be prepared.
5) Remove the case fans first 1 at a time. Note where they are pluged to on the motherboard. (If unconfortable you can just use a air duster for them)
6) Once removed clean each one but whatever you do do not place them in running water they are sensitive to to much water and would likely stop functioning (especialy the ones with led lights)
7) let dry.Then replace after your done with the rest of the steps.
8) If fan is on your video card use air duster removing that is for advance users.
9) Cpu fan you can use a air duster but if it's on a heatsink then it will not truly be clean untill you remove it. Slowly and carefully remove the clips to the cpu slot. Once you removed it you can remove the fan screws from the heatsink. If it's a different type then procedure would be different.
10) Run the heatsink through running water untill clean and let dry.
11) Clean the fan like the rest.
12) Replace on the heatsink.
13) Get some thermal paste and replae the old paste on the heatsink and cpu before placing back on. This will keep your cpu from overheating too much. Don't remove the heatsink if you have no thermal paste. Cheap at your local computer store.
14) Make sure it's locked correctly into place. You can place pressure on it just don't bang it.
15) Power supply will have dust inside. Do not open it unless you are advance. Use a air duster for it.
16) Now air dust everything inside to get garbage out don't forget underneath the motherboard.
17) Do a wipe down of the cables and case inside. Replace the case fans maybe tie a cable here and there and close the case.
18) You are done!! Not so bad eh now you can charge people 50 a hour to clean them :)

C

Coffin

Removing the CPU heatsink! Whoa! Not even I do that. I blast it like crazy with the duster. I guess if you have some kinda sticky caked on filth then you need to take it under running water, though.

U

UOKaiser

Removing the CPU heatsink! Whoa! Not even I do that. I blast it like crazy with the duster. I guess if you have some kinda sticky caked on filth then you need to take it under running water, though.
It's actually not so bad. I don't reccomend any begginer to do it. But for the intermediate It is pretty easy. Though definetely like I posted make sure to have thermal paste in hand if heading to heatsink removal. Blasting works but to truly clean that dust build up that refuses to be remove between the openings of the heatsink a good run through water fixes that. A fresh coat of thermal paste will do it justice especially if computer has overheating problems.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I beg to differ on the opinion on ball mouse vs. optical mouse.

A ball mouse will work on a lot of surfaces that an optical mouse won't, and vice-versa.

For an optical mouse, you need a surface that is not uniform in color. As a result, you can have difficulties on solid-cover surfaces and glass surfaces, with an optical. As an optical mouse gets older, it can also start developing faults that suddenly relocate your pointer to the top corner of a screen, which can be annoying, if not game-deadly if there is a top bar present on the screen (during a provoke attempt, you move to click onto a second Ogre Lord to have the first OL attack it - and as you click, the mouse relocates the pointer onto the x in the top corner; you are the weakest link - goodbye...)

The ball mouse' weakness is that it needs a smooth, clean surface - so it is optimal in a number of environments where the desk elements are minimal, such as an office that frowns on having (or is too cheap to supply) visible mouse pads, or a glass desktop with nothing underneath within range of a optical mouse's laser sensor. Note that several business machine suppliers still ship the ball mouse with business machines, but optical ones with machines for home users, for just this reason.

Other than that, pretty good advice.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have a very good reason why I prefer optical mouse - because I am lazy and don't want to clean the ball and the internal rollers :D

Besides, it's hard to find a programmable mouse (which I swear by) that use a ball instead of optics.

1 more thing about CPU heatsinks, sometimes the thermal grease "glues" the heatsink to the CPU. If you yank it out, you may damage a couple of the pins on your CPU.

So do not use too much force, if it's glued fast, boot up your PC and use it for at least 15 mins. This will let the CPU heat up and soften the hardened thermal grease. Hopefully, this will allow the heatsink to slide off easily from the CPU. Use a thick piece of cloth to hold the heatsink, coz it will be hot too.

The other method is to use a hairdryer to heat it up and soften the grease. This is useful esp if you have already removed the heatsink and found to your dismay that the CPU got yanked out as well.

U

UOKaiser

Definetely. Almost impossible to find a good gaming mouse with a ball. Matter of fact lets forget about optical and ball mouses. Laser mouses are much more fun. Improving even more as technology advances.

Roland'

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can run your keyboard through the dish washer as well.

Although if it is not 100% dry when you go to use it again it will fry it.

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cleaning keyboards is murder!

Think of all the life that has been created under the cool embrace of those keys.... All the blood, hair, food, etc that has been gathered into one spot, through seeming chance, culminating in the emergence of life!

And you people would just kill it, rather than taking responsibility!

=]

Lefty

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can air, a grounding strap and a good old tooth brush are my internal cleaning tools. Only reason I would remove a heatsink is for replacement or lapping.

U

UOKaiser

Can air, a grounding strap and a good old tooth brush are my internal cleaning tools. Only reason I would remove a heatsink is for replacement or lapping.
My heatsink gets pretty dirty at times that not even can air can get through the dust stuck between the openings. So I take that opportunity to clean it nicely and apply fresh coat of arctic silver. My cooling improves and my overcloacking is more stable. Though there are people who had there pc's for 5 to 10 years and never ever cleaned inside. Can you imagine the dirt and eggs it gathers. Everything will need to be purified!

M

Mitzlplik_SP

Definetely. Almost impossible to find a good gaming mouse with a ball. Matter of fact lets forget about optical and ball mouses. Laser mouses are much more fun. Improving even more as technology advances.
This is the mouse I`ve switched to. I can`t stand moving my arm all over the table with old style mouses.Love this mouse,NEVER sticks and works great for everything from UO to DAoC to FPS`s.

http://www.staples.com/office/suppl...pping-_-Technology%3EMice-_-795818-910-000806