• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Time to re-think the 720.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
REALLY multiple game servers that pointed at one persistence DB, and that did data mirroring across the boundaries.
If I really need to write out a ten paragraph explanation I really really will. I'd rather not..please just stop posting! Seriously..

First and foremost once again we aren't talking about the "servers" we are talking about the core code...I think you've lost your marbles

It's far more complex then cells
Cap Swing Speed: 60
Cap Damage Increase: 60

There are multiple algorithms used to designate hit chance/defense chance/damage modifiers.

They are mostly using DB for
Night Sight #True and things of that nature..
Widescreen #False and hex codes and binary blah blah stuff.. Which is rather not gab on about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
i say no to raising skill limits. don't u think we are powerful enough? I am tired of redoing suits/chars ect... I'm tired of the gimmie, gimmie, gimmie, I want, I want, I want, ive been seeing posted lately. lets fix the store and account management system first. so many bugs to be fixed. should also make game more user friendly. hey, now I'm doing it lol, gimmie I want lol. have fun lol

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i say no to raising skill limits. don't u think we are powerful enough? I am tired of redoing suits/chars ect... I'm tired of the gimmie, gimmie, gimmie, I want, I want, I want, ive been seeing posted lately. lets fix the store and account management system first. so many bugs to be fixed. should also make game more user friendly. hey, now I'm doing it lol, gimmie I want lol. have fun lol
Amen to this! Let's squash those pesky bugs while we're at it!

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You know if I posted something like this 5 people would have said "What? Can't solo a spawn?" "I solo everything in the game blah, blah, blah, ...... you can't solo everything then your not playing the game right and your gaming skills suck..... "

But I agree with you... I can't solo a bunch of stuff... I can solo a few things ..... Styngian Dragon and such... but what's the point of playing an MMORPG if you are playing solo all the time??? May as well be playing a solo game...... Oh wait I do..... Been playing Diablo III more than UO.
I so missed this post. And I'm not sure if it's the whole "you suck" mentality, I think it's more..champs spawns have been being soloed for what like 8 years now? :/ I literally created my sampire on LS less than 2 days ago. After a gear Xfer she has soloed coon,semidar, and a rikky already. Not sure if you count my stealther protecting it not being solo. Btw it's an awesome setup that I made. Never thought anatomy would be such a game changer.

Ossy

Adventurer
I get where you're coming from, but champion spawns, peerless, and whatever else, shouldn't be solo-able. I mean, I can solo several types of peerless and champ spawns but I do not believe that I should be able to do that, and I do not believe that is balanced. If the problem is that we're having trouble getting a group together, then the question shouldn't be, "How can we make UO more like a single player game?", it should be, "How can UO better facilitate group play?"
^ This

The question should be "how can UO attract new players without becoming something non-UO".

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Hell yes! Raise the skill cap to 840. 120 x 7 skills so I can be truly 7x Legendary. This should've been done when powerscrolls were introduced to the game.

We'll all adapt. Just like we do every time there's a change to armor / weapons / jewelry.

Granted some never want to see any changes made because "it's always been that way". But that's the lamest excuse there is.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
^ This

The question should be "how can UO attract new players without becoming something non-UO".
Unfortunately we wont get any new players past the trial period since this game is still Sub based....and an expensive one for the age of the game.
The younger players of today expect this game to be a F2P game.
I get laughed at all the time when I try to get my kids and their friends to play.
Infact they even said some really hurtful things....like "oh god Dad, your a dinosaur" and "you pay THEM to play this?" and "id rather play minecraft", ect. (kids can be so mean)

Nope we wont be getting any more than the odd few here and there in this game unless something drastic happens....and i'm talking something Epically drastic.

Old Vet Back Again

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Hell yes! Raise the skill cap to 840. 120 x 7 skills so I can be truly 7x Legendary. This should've been done when powerscrolls were introduced to the game.

We'll all adapt. Just like we do every time there's a change to armor / weapons / jewelry.

Granted some never want to see any changes made because "it's always been that way". But that's the lamest excuse there is.
:thumbsup:

get ready for all the archaic players stuck in 1998 to flame your post...

Ossy

Adventurer
Unfortunately we wont get any new players past the trial period since this game is still Sub based....and an expensive one for the age of the game.
The younger players of today expect this game to be a F2P game.
I get laughed at all the time when I try to get my kids and their friends to play.
Infact they even said some really hurtful things....like "oh god Dad, your a dinosaur" and "you pay THEM to play this?" and "id rather play minecraft", ect. (kids can be so mean)

Nope we wont be getting any more than the odd few here and there in this game unless something drastic happens....and i'm talking something Epically drastic.
Yeah, that is kind of surprisingly that it's so costly.
I'm not sure how to make this into a F2P game though. There are no zones to unlock, unless you treated new facets like Eodan like a leveling zone (like in Lord of the Rings) and pay to unlock access to it.

I'm also surprised that all the shards are still around. I know it would be very difficult to compact the shards since some people would have houses in the same spots, etc.. But that would be one way to increase the playerbase. Bring them together and not have it all so spread out. Lots of issues with that, but it would be a drastic move.

Maybe it's time to do away with the houses and give people land, some kind of ability to build a town or a castle. You need to collect resources to build, want more or taller stone buildings then need a miner to mine ingots and stones. I'm just making this up as I go now, haven't given full thought.

Guilds/characters can build real towns that are accessed by moongates or on islands scattered around the oceans. Expand the ship to ship combat and make the towns siegeable/attackable.

Yeah, lots of work, but it brings in the Clash of Clans/Minecraft elements that kids love.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

It's not that I don't think this should be done. It's more of how can it be done and still be balanced? There's no need for it honestly. We already have 7 character slots..

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
@Lord Frodo @Smoot

I said it would take hundreds of hours not because of the actual time to change the number in a database, the part that will take them a long time is having to go over pretty much every creature in the game to see how combat against that creature would be affected if they increased the skill caps. Extensive testing would be the only way they could avoid accidentally breaking or unbalancing something. Not to mention the pvp testing that would have to be done to ensure that they don't accidentally create an unbeatable pvp template. I'm by no means an expert, but It seems like it would pretty much be creating the combat system all over again, then fixing any issues they missed, which would take a long time.

Old Vet Back Again

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
@Lord Frodo @Smoot

I said it would take hundreds of hours not because of the actual time to change the number in a database, the part that will take them a long time is having to go over pretty much every creature in the game to see how combat against that creature would be affected if they increased the skill caps. Extensive testing would be the only way they could avoid accidentally breaking or unbalancing something. Not to mention the pvp testing that would have to be done to ensure that they don't accidentally create an unbeatable pvp template. I'm by no means an expert, but It seems like it would pretty much be creating the combat system all over again, then fixing any issues they missed, which would take a long time.
And that's why we are attempting at having a discussion about it. I agree with you it WILL break something, but will the broken aspect be fixable is the question that needs to be asked and/or addressed.

We had way more template options pre pub 46 when the super nerf came out. I'm not saying I disagree with all the changes, but I do feel some were not very well thought out. Right now we are severely limited in a loot pub that has the ability to create insane suits and it's also forcing templates into a very narrow tunnel.

The thing I struggle with most is the simple fact; Why have such amazing loot when we are still stuck with archaic caps?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I so missed this post. And I'm not sure if it's the whole "you suck" mentality, I think it's more..champs spawns have been being soloed for what like 8 years now? :/ I literally created my sampire on LS less than 2 days ago. After a gear Xfer she has soloed coon,semidar, and a rikky already. Not sure if you count my stealther protecting it not being solo. Btw it's an awesome setup that I made. Never thought anatomy would be such a game changer.

I wish I could do that. But I've never been able to. Even if I copy a template and all I just don't think I have the focus or whatever to do it. Too much to think about all the time... suppose that's why I prefer to run tamers and archers. I used to PvP quite a bit but the "stress" of having to think super quick on my feet etc... isn't what I enjoy in the game. Some folk like the thrills others don't.

I'm not much of a thrill seeker I guess. I like to relax and immerse myself in a character and forget I'm a Grandma and all the other RL things going on... like the pain from my surgery, my sister's breast Cancer surgery and all that other stuff weighing heavily on my mind. It's nice to escape into a character that has none of those worries for awhile.

I don't play to get rich, or make gold, I don't play to beat everyone,.... I enjoy making friends and meeting new folk, helping others obtain their goals... collecting stuff in a game is WAY better than being a RL horder, that sort of stuff...

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
What is the skill level at now with bonuses? Do you folks really want to be one person wrecking machines? We are damn near a single player game now.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
How far do we want to amp the numbers game up? Draw the line here and ask we have smarter monsters. We do not need more skills for a single character.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What is the skill level at now with bonuses? Do you folks really want to be one person wrecking machines? We are damn near a single player game now.
I'd just like to have the seven maxed skills per character again as the game originally gave us. I like the versatility it gave us, particularly with the four skill Bard setup. A Bard could have some Magery, Eval, Meditation, and Resist skill for when Barding just couldn't do the job.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
That option is gone.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I play on a shard with some limits. None of us are whining about skill levels.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't think anything "should" be changed at all. But an actual goal would be nice. There's nothing to work for anymore other than mindless tedious grind fests. Masteries were a joke. You didn't even need to eat them in succession so what was the point of adding 1/2/3 should of just had one tier...never mind you can barely give away most masteries except Magery and taming for the most part. I think people want something else added to feel "progression" and a reason to log on.

Old Vet Back Again

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
How far do we want to amp the numbers game up? Draw the line here and ask we have smarter monsters. We do not need more skills for a single character.

The current loot pub is largely to blame for the current state we are in. Not utilizing what is in place by choice is only hindering your game play. I have a toon that currently has 870 skill points with damn near every stat capped. It's stupid tbh.

That's why adjusting skills up, caps up and bringing everything else up along with them is realistically the only option. Or we revert and give everything a super nerf making certain skills and mods capped at lower thresholds making suits pointless to have legendaries on every slot.

There is absolutely no way that they can make crafters catch up to the current loot pub. The devs really dropped the ball on that one...

Kei

Knight of Kingdom of God
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Crafted gears are no longer viable at the competitive level. New loot is the way to go.

Nerfing is out of question because far too many people have spent billions on their legendaries. Doing so will only anger the already small population this game have.

So to save crafters, the only way is buffing their wares much like the introduction of reforging years ago.

But skill points of 720 must stay. Having scarcity in the form of a cap forces player to think hard on their skill choices.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
so loot... that is what we play for?

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
720 is the max.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
playing the game solo isnt UO fault......it is your inability to play well with others and be part of a team. Within 3 days of returning (2 years ago) I had offers from 2 large active guilds and joined one. If I solo anything in game it is because I choose to to challenge myself. It isnt the games fault if someone cant make friends with others.
Oh yes and I play on an underpopulated shard.

If you dont have friends to play with I respectfully suggest the problem lies within your personality.....and no amount of recoding the game will solve that issue!
This x 10. Join a guild or learn how to build a character that can solo stuff, which I may add doesn't require "uber" characters, just smart builds, reasonably easy to get gear, and learning how to play the character.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So I was just wondering with the recent "changes" and all...
Is it time we changed the 720 skill cap to 800?
Sort of mix things up a bit and give the majority chance to do some high end stuff too.
Most of the time now it's impossible to get a group together to go hunt a boss mob (unless its the new ones) and those of us that don't own these Uber suits never really see that side of the game, are we even missing out?

I just think upping the cap to 800 (plus jewellery) would make things rather more interesting for the general masses and not just that 5% UO seems to be about these days.

Just a thought, discuss?
So I was just wondering with the recent "changes" and all...
Is it time we changed the 720 skill cap to 800?
Sort of mix things up a bit and give the majority chance to do some high end stuff too.
Most of the time now it's impossible to get a group together to go hunt a boss mob (unless its the new ones) and those of us that don't own these Uber suits never really see that side of the game, are we even missing out?

I just think upping the cap to 800 (plus jewellery) would make things rather more interesting for the general masses and not just that 5% UO seems to be about these days.

Just a thought, discuss?
I don't think it's necessary, and I think the reasoning behind the idea at it's core is flawed.

If you can't solo stuff now, I don't see an extra 100 skill points getting you there. If you can solo stuff now, an extra 100 skill points will just make it easier.

The 5% of people (doubt its accurate) can solo stuff because they made the effort. It's honestly not that difficult to make a character and a suit capable of soloing pretty much everything. It doesn't require "uber" suits either. It just requires that you make an effort to learn what you need and how to get it. It may take TIME... but what are we doing here? Put in the effort to learn, and the effort to develop whats required. Anyone can do it. The game should not be tailored to people who don't want to make the effort.

Like people have said, high end stuff is not designed to be soloed. It's designed to be the hardest thing to do, and to lend toward group play. If they upped skill cap and that had a big impact, they would just alter the game to make it harder. There SHOULD be hard stuff, it SHOULD require multiple people who don't take the time to take advantage of specialized setups.

I would also add that the whole "who cares what it imbalances" attitude is very short sighted, and self serving. It seems like you care more about getting what you want than the health of the game.

But really, join a guild, go on guild hunts. Easy solution.

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How does this imbalance UO if everybody has it? Was UO imbalanced when we had 7xGMs, NO it was not. When they first came out with PS they should have raised the cap to 840 and been done with it. A 7x Legendary is no different than a 7x GM was back in the day.
Exactly!

The skill cap should have been increased the same time that power scrolls were introduced.

The game balance argument is completely absurd! Increase the cap and balance again. Like UO hasn't already been balanced and rebalanced and balanced and rebalanced and balanced and rebalanced again and again throughout the years.

Old Vet Back Again

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Exactly!

The skill cap should have been increased the same time that power scrolls were introduced.

The game balance argument is completely absurd! Increase the cap and balance again. Like UO hasn't already been balanced and rebalanced and balanced and rebalanced and balanced and rebalanced again and again throughout the years.
I think you forgot that this game has been balanced and re-balanced....

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We dont need a higher cap, and here is why:

The Skill list as it is, is way way too big. Several skills in this day and age either need to be combined or just flat out removed. Trade skills should also possibly not even count against the cap. The complexity of UO was great back in 1999, but in 2015?

Anyway, here is my idea (Which people will hate because its a radical change to a skill list which has gone unaltered for years.

Remove:
Arms Lore
Camping
Forensic
Item ID
Taste ID
Herding

Trade Skills
Combine - Lumberjacking, Bowcrafting, Carpentry
Combine - Blacksmithing , Mining
Combine - Alchemy , Inscription, Cooking
Tinkering
Tailoring
Imbuing

Combat
Combine - Tactics, Anatomy
Combine - Meditation, Focus (Combat Concentration)

Wilderness/Thieving/Bard
Combine - Tracking , Detect Hidden
Combine - Remove Trap, lockpicking, Cartog
Combine - Stealing, Snooping, Begging
Combine - Disco, Music, Peace, Prov

New:
New - Arcane Arts (New damage modifier for Mysticism to replace Focus)

That brings the total number of skills down from 58 to 31. The total Skill cap doesn't have to change, in fact it might even need to be lowered to 620 instead.

You patch out existing Powerscrolls which no longer have a use. You put in new powerscrolls for the new skills, thus creating a new market, new content, and reinvigorating Champ Spawns again.

It also would make the game much easier to jump into.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
The game has been perfectly fine at 720 for more than a decade, there is absolutely no reason to completely screw with game mechanics like this. There is so much risk and very little reward associated with this idea. This change would severely mess with the games balance for a very long time.
While I agree, adding more than 720 skill points, that can be used for PvP or PvM may unbalance the game and I don't want to see multi crafters get more point for crafting on same char, I do believe we need more skill points.

I believe we need to make it so you max can have 720 combat skills or max 720 crafting/garthering skills on same char but let a PvM/PvP char choose 280 crafting skill points too and let a 720 crafter choose 280 point combat skills too.
That way a PvP/PvM'er can have some crafting/gathering skill to support his char. He could choose to a lumberjack or miner, who can defend him self or a multi crafter will have have room for magery or something to protect him in the wilderness.
The easy answer to that is keep Siege at 720 and go there if you want to PvP.
Special on Siege, where we only have one char slot, it would help, if the skill cap was 1000, where each char had room for both combat and crafting. It would help players who only can affort one account as a PvP'er would have room for some money making skills too and a multi crafter would be able to survive vs our Dark Wisps and maybe escape from PK's.

If we go back to 1997-1998, a PvP'er only needed 400-500 skill points to PvP, so he had 2-300 left for maybe mining, tinkering, smithing or lumbering, fletching, tailoring or something else. This way, he could not craft everything but he could make some he need and sell some stuff to get money to buy, what he could not make.

I do believe it will make the game more fun, at least on Siege.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Trade Skills
I don't like this as it will make it even more easy to be a multi crafter, who can make everything.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Just a thought, discuss?
I'm against increasing the skill cap to 800.0, I'd also like to know who the 5% you speak of is.

You don't need "UBER" Suits to complete any task in UO, it helps, but it's not needed by any means.
What matters most is your template and understanding of game mechanics for both pvm & pvp.

I think it's safe to assume at least ~80%+ (generously low) of UO players have an imbuer by now, imbued suits can make your character good enough (gear-wise) to do anything in the game.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd like to thank y'all for bringing this back to a discussion. ;)

Raising the cap was just my gut reaction to the problem but I agree there needs something to be done.
Having 870 skills is great, but how much did that suit cost you? Do you see this as reasonable for everyone., the idea that you can only compete if your super rich?

I like the idea of the skills overhaul, bring some skills together to free up points then you can keep the cap at 720.

Personally I think when the cap was increased to 720 years back, they also coded in a way to increase it further in the future. If they didn't then yes they were idiots.
Also can we really say this is still an MMORPG? Personally what I see in game now is just a Solo play game with Group elements.

Guilds??? I was part of one of the biggest guilds on Europa and now i'm the only one left playing (Britannia Guard) there is probably about 2 actual guilds active on Europa now but mainly guilds don't exist anymore than a way to set character titles.
Again, you can probably get a group together for new stuff but try to get one together to do a Gauntlet run and all you get in chat is "nah, the loot ain't worth the time required" ect.

Not everyone has all the 'end game' items (I had lots but I lost them to my own fault) now it seems the only way to get them back is to buy them.

Ossy

Adventurer
Combining crafting skills is a bad idea. Part of the fun aspect of MMOs is being forced to make a decision when making a character and not having all options, making a sacrifice.

Do I make a pure crafter or give some points to a combat/magic skill? I want Fletching, but my crafter is maxxed with 7 skills, so I need to make a new character to do everything I want.

Some of the skills are useless now, so get rid of them. Don't need to add any new skills to compensate, just trim the fat or do something to make them useful again.

The only way to deal with low population serves is to do what other games have and combine servers. The problem in UO with that is housing. If two people from two different servers have a house in the same spot, who's house gets priority and who has to move?

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Combining crafting skills is a bad idea. Part of the fun aspect of MMOs is being forced to make a decision when making a character and not having all options, making a sacrifice.

Do I make a pure crafter or give some points to a combat/magic skill? I want Fletching, but my crafter is maxxed with 7 skills, so I need to make a new character to do everything I want.
Soulstones have made the notion of having to "sacrifice," in regards to a crafter, a completely moot point. Three is NO need to need to have to choose what skills to keep...you just choose what skills you want that moment and hot swap as needed.

Need to make some furniture? Stone off alchemy and put on carpentry, 5 seconds of clicking and you're done.

Ossy

Adventurer
Soulstones have made the notion of having to "sacrifice," in regards to a crafter, a completely moot point. Three is NO need to need to have to choose what skills to keep...you just choose what skills you want that moment and hot swap as needed.

Need to make some furniture? Stone off alchemy and put on carpentry, 5 seconds of clicking and you're done.
Yeah, true.

What's the point of having 6-7 character slots when can have 2 and a couple to "hold" skills and use soulstones.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Having 870 skills is great, but how much did that suit cost you? Do you see this as reasonable for everyone., the idea that you can only compete if your super rich?
It's not reasonable for everyone, but it's in no way required to do high-level stuff. It might make it easier and then again, it might not. If you are sacrificing important mods like HCI or Stamina or what have you for +Skill, you will not be as functional. Like Covenant said, you don't need more than 720 skill points for a template that can solo pretty much everything. I think you have a bit of a misconception about what constitutes a powerful suit.

That said yes, there are high skill suits/templates (though it's fairly rare honestly to have more than +30) out there that are powerful, but those people put in a lot of time, work, and study into making those templates/suits, and they are rewarded with having an easier time with things. They aren't doing things you can't do with more simple, cheap, set ups... it's just easier. That is exactly as it should be.

As for "competing with the super rich", stop worrying about what other people have or don't have, and figure out how to accomplish your own goals. If you aren't pvping it really doesn't matter how you go about your business.
Again, you can probably get a group together for new stuff but try to get one together to do a Gauntlet run and all you get in chat is "nah, the loot ain't worth the time required" ect.
Well... that's not untrue, is it? Doom artifacts (with like 2 exceptions) have been dramatically outclassed for many years by loot you can find on ogres. Really, though you, Slayvite, can solo the gauntlet. You just need to read up on different set ups. The gauntlet is not that hard.

Not everyone has all the 'end game' items (I had lots but I lost them to my own fault) now it seems the only way to get them back is to buy them.
Luckily you don't need them. Also luckily the range of "end game" is pretty broad. Imbue a suit and add some blackthorn/cleanup/library items and you should be pretty good to go. Not all that hard. Just takes time. To clarify I play siege and I have zero "end game" items (unless you count a nice shield I have which is my lone blessed item), and I can solo some champ spawns, some blackthorn captains, and other various mid-level end game stuff. With a partner or two I can do anything. My set up isn't even ideal.

Guilds??? I was part of one of the biggest guilds on Europa and now i'm the only one left playing (Britannia Guard) there is probably about 2 actual guilds active on Europa now but mainly guilds don't exist anymore than a way to set character titles.
Join one of the active guilds then. If not, make an effort to find some others looking to hunt exchange contacts and form a regular hunting party. The game isn't always going to come to you. You have to get out there and make the effort sometimes if you want the results.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
While I agree, adding more than 720 skill points, that can be used for PvP or PvM may unbalance the game and I don't want to see multi crafters get more point for crafting on same char, I do believe we need more skill points.

I believe we need to make it so you max can have 720 combat skills or max 720 crafting/garthering skills on same char but let a PvM/PvP char choose 280 crafting skill points too and let a 720 crafter choose 280 point combat skills too.
That way a PvP/PvM'er can have some crafting/gathering skill to support his char. He could choose to a lumberjack or miner, who can defend him self or a multi crafter will have have room for magery or something to protect him in the wilderness.
Nope. Crafters/gatherers are devalued enough as it is. Do you want to make it impossible (instead of just difficult and impractical) for someone to run a crafting/resource vendor?

If you want your warrior to make a bench use a soul stone. :/

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why stop at 800 lets go 1200???

Then a could have my tamer/bard/mage/sampire all in one and save money on fragments :)
Duh. If we go to 1200 we can remove the skill cap as a whole...
And while we're at it, lets also remove any other (hard & soft) cap, like resist caps, +damage cap, +regen caps...

Wait... even better:

Upon your next login after Pub 92, you get the following message box:

You win!

Game Over.

Thanks for playing!

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Duh. If we go to 1200 we can remove the skill cap as a whole...
And while we're at it, lets also remove any other (hard & soft) cap, like resist caps, +damage cap, +regen caps...

Wait... even better:

Upon your next login after Pub 92, you get the following message box:
Wrong....the only person that wins UO is Mes

Giles

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
another thread with a bunch of people insulting the original poster. i know i am one of the idiots but when i read it i did not think it was a crazy idea. this game has steadily progressed in making characters be more and more powerful, does not seem like anything that shouldnt be discussed.

why dont the moderators kick out people who do nothing but insult other players. i thought when you wrote a response it was suppose to be about something that the thread is about. why do people get away with adding comments that do nothing to discuss the thread, but only to belittle, insult and make it so that people that wish to talk about it can with out fear of being jumped on, for example; not understanding the game or not having the ability to write a code. i am sure a lot more would contribute if we did not have a handful of posters that seem to have issue with anyone that does not chant their mantra.

i liked the idea of having to do something to get the ability to increase skill cap. Also the idea to have lesser skills be weighted less is a great idea.

Old Vet Back Again

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
We dont need a higher cap, and here is why:

The Skill list as it is, is way way too big. Several skills in this day and age either need to be combined or just flat out removed. Trade skills should also possibly not even count against the cap. The complexity of UO was great back in 1999, but in 2015?

Anyway, here is my idea (Which people will hate because its a radical change to a skill list which has gone unaltered for years.

Remove:
Arms Lore
Camping
Forensic
Item ID
Taste ID
Herding

Trade Skills
Tinkering
Tailoring
Imbuing

Combat
Combine - Tactics, Anatomy
Combine - Meditation, Focus (Combat Concentration)

Wilderness/Thieving/Bard
Combine - Tracking , Detect Hidden
Combine - Remove Trap, lockpicking, Cartog
Combine - Stealing, Snooping, Begging
Combine - Disco, Music, Peace, Prov

New:
New - Arcane Arts (New damage modifier for Mysticism to replace Focus)

That brings the total number of skills down from 58 to 31. The total Skill cap doesn't have to change, in fact it might even need to be lowered to 620 instead.

You patch out existing Powerscrolls which no longer have a use. You put in new powerscrolls for the new skills, thus creating a new market, new content, and reinvigorating Champ Spawns again.

It also would make the game much easier to jump into.
This is a train of thought I haven't had, but the more I think about it the more it makes sense. This has the best chance of fixing the issues we are facing with game progression. Allowing templates to simplify their skill consumption would give us more options of play styles. I think you're on to something solus :postcount:

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
If we increase the cap we may as well lift it.

Let me close the few other accounts I have opened down.

Meanwhile, while they are wondering why subscriptions are dropping because of unnecessary alt accounts, they can set us up with armor that will cap all the mods out.

Then we can all reach end game and they can shut it down when no one finds it challenging anymore.

If they don't find it a necessity to cater to PVP there should be no reason to do the same for those who play solo by giving more skills so they can kill a peerless or champ a little easier.

I've already seen the end game scenario because of these "God mode" changes.

How easy does everyone expect this game to be?

Corwyn

Lake Superior Tabloid Journalist
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Personally, I'd rather not see the skill cap raised. There is already too much solo potential in the game. The game should be geared towards teamwork. Otherwise, I'd be better off playing a console game.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Here is an idea:

Have the option to raise it to 730 or 740 for individual toons if you buy a special token in the official store. Charge ten bucks for it. This wouldn't materially alter the game in terms of the different types of templates that could be built and it would be a new revenue source for Broadsword.

Have another token for 15 bucks: plus 10-20 to skill cap, and add 10 to stat cap.

However, those suggesting it go to 800 or some insane amount... I personally just think it would be too much of a change. I could see maybe changing the stat cap slightly, but not the skill cap another more than 10-20 points.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Myself, I think 840 would be a tad much. Nice to be able to 120 7 skills, but a bit too much.
I'd rather have power scrolls that would up the cap to 730, 740 and 750, ones that actually require you to have consumed the previous one in order to be able to benefit from them.
30 extra skill points can go a really long way with several templates, or make other templates viable.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Charge ten bucks for it. This wouldn't materially alter the game in terms of the different types of templates that could be built and it would be a new revenue source for Broadsword.
While not a bad idea, I'd be really surprised if Broadsword was given more than 10% of UO-related Origin sales...if they get any at all that is. EA isn't known for being liberal with the purse strings.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
^ This

Maybe UO can only attract new players by becoming something non-UO.

Lets be honest, it hasnt done a good job of attracting new players by continuing to be UO.