• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Throwing] Throwing & Parry

Heimi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is anyone able to point me to information regarding Throwing and Parry, and whether there will still be a penalty if I use a shield with 120 Parry? Thanks

Vortex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Bleak

UO Software Engineer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Patch 70 is about to go active. In the patch notes is the following statement...

Players cannot parry when wielding a throwing weapon and a shield.

Here is the link...
Publish 70.0 Available on Test Center 1 Today | Mythic Entertainment | Ultima Online
Good source on throwing is Throwing - UOGuide, the Ultima Online encyclopedia
The Pub 70 "Players cannot parry when wielding a throwing weapon and a shield." was worded incorrectly and will be updated. It was an existing bug that you could not parry with a shield and throwing weapon equipped which will be fixed in Pub 70.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*raises eyebrows*

OOOooooooooo, niiice!

*rushes off to test*

Heimi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good source on throwing is Throwing - UOGuide, the Ultima Online encyclopedia
The Pub 70 "Players cannot parry when wielding a throwing weapon and a shield." was worded incorrectly and will be updated. It was an existing bug that you could not parry with a shield and throwing weapon equipped which will be fixed in Pub 70.
I'm glad thats a bug being fixed and not a change, my heart dropped when I read it :D I checked the UOGuide page but it has no numbers info on the penalty, can I assume that 120 Parry will negate all penalty?

Bleak

UO Software Engineer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm glad thats a bug being fixed and not a change, my heart dropped when I read it :D I checked the UOGuide page but it has no numbers info on the penalty, can I assume that 120 Parry will negate all penalty?
At 120 Parry you will have a 10% DCI penalty. Example a player has 50 DCI without using parry, shield, and throwing weapon; Their new DCI will be 45 at 120 parry when using a shield and throwing weapon.

Heimi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the info :)

So, parry still doesn"t make sense on a bushido thrower?
Bushido gives a penalty when using a shield anyway, so this doesn't really affect bushido throwers ;) Just don't use a shield.

R Traveler

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
At 120 Parry you will have a 10% DCI penalty. Example a player has 50 DCI without using parry, shield, and throwing weapon; Their new DCI will be 45 at 120 parry when using a shield and throwing weapon.
10% of current DCI or plain -10DCI?

Before cap applied or after?

puni666

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So we need 78% DCI to have 70% DCI correct?

Hmm,
Robe 5%
Tangle 5%
Sash 5%
Quiver 5%
Weapon 25%
Jewelery 30%
Mana Phase Orb 5%
Shield 10%

90% DCI possible pick and choose your pieces wisely!
100% DCI possible if you have 15% DCI shield and the Slither 10% DCI
(I just figure Soul Charge is worth sacrificing 5% DCI for :D)

Y

Yalp

Parry doesn't make sense on a bushi thrower if you want to parry.

Parry does make sense on a bushie thrower if you want to carry a shield. (as there are some very nice garg shields to be used)

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Anybody an idea how the penalties are with 80 parry? Is there a calculator anywhere?

Thank!

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks. But you can modify thr penalty with parrying, right? How high should it be?

Klapauc

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If i remember right, at 120 parry there is a flat penalty 0f -10% to your final chance to hit or to defend, its independent of your hci and dci and you cant remove that penalty.
You can try with 80 parry, but it isnt worth it, you dont hit anything.
Only use i found for parry on a thrower is something like wrestle/parry/thrower (defensive temp for siege shard ).

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks again. On Uoguide I read you can do something against the penalty if you use parry. I just want it for using a shield. So, I am a bit confused: Just for using a shield and having a decent PVM-Mystic-Thrower - what do you suggest: 0 Parry, 80 Parry, 100 Parry, 120 Parry? I cant find anything... :)

Klapauc

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks again. On Uoguide I read you can do something against the penalty if you use parry. I just want it for using a shield. So, I am a bit confused: Just for using a shield and having a decent PVM-Mystic-Thrower - what do you suggest: 0 Parry, 80 Parry, 100 Parry, 120 Parry? I cant find anything... :)
I would suggest using no shield and no parry at all on a mystic thrower. Having a free hand is much better for healing stone and potion use.
Throwing with shield equipped is really bad, even with 120 parry you will miss 10% of your time even against lowest level creatures. If you dont believe it, go to tc1 and try.
Skillpoints are way better spent on bushido, and with mystic dexxer you dont have that many skillpoints to work with anyway.
Gargoyle can be mounted and have a collosus out, so you can do hit and run tactics quite well. And usable gargoyle suits are really easy to build, you should not need a shield for additional stats.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks alot! Well, then: Can you post some of your nicest mystic-thrower templates? So I can learn from you? Thanks!

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
You will need 120 throw/tactics/chivalry/mystic/focus.

For more offense you can add 80 bushido and 100 anatomy (with 60 skill points on items).
For more defense you can add 120 resisting spells and FC/FCR on items.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, Me again. I tried now both: Mystic-Thrower with shield and 120 Parry, 100 Parry, 80 Parry, 0 Parry. And - of course - without shield.

Best Performance in damage per second: without shield. Absolutely clear, as you said it. But I never doubted that. However, there is a difference WITH shield according to the Parry-Level you got. However, I was not able to quantify this difference. At 0 Parry your hit chance is crap, you are missing very often. At 120 the hit chance was quite good, if you ask me. Some missing hits, but most of the time you hit. So, it WOULD be possible to play a char in PVM this way - e.g. when you get a nice 10 SSI-shield working in your template. I would be very much interested in the differences between lower levels of parry (100, 80) and 120 or 0. But I dont have the time to quantify this. If I only had a calculator for this, comparable to a ssi-calculator...

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
You chance to parry will be low if you have bushido.... something like (parry - bushido)/4 + 5