• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

This Just Seems Insane

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
This has been kicking around my head since I came back. You can pay for an account every 90 days and keep the house on it the whole time? 2 weeks I could see. Your account messes up, takes a week to realize it. You got a week left till pay day to buy a game time code or something. I wonder how many nice spots are being held out there by people rarely paying. Just seems nuts. I guess if you pay every month you can have 1 house. But if I drop one of my accounts and play around with the same amount of money I could have 3 or 4 houses. There's something seriously wrong here.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
UO is a 17 yo game with a rapidly declining population and an outrageous monthly sub.

Changing the 90 day buffer would have disastrous consequences for the game's future. Most people wouldn't pay a $13 a month fee for the extra houses, they'd just quit.

This is coming from someone who has way more accounts then they should, and has never cycled any of them.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Well they're barely paying now lol. I don't need 3 accounts for characters. I have 3 accounts for the 3 houses. I play like 4 characters, maybe 5. I have a mage, a fencer, 2 crafters, and a thief with a lot of dust on him. It would seem to me then it's a good idea to use that money and rotate houses. I could have 5 houses for the same money as I pay for 3. Or keep my 3 houses and pay a lot less. That's nuts. I feel stupid for paying full price. I can't believe EA would let this slide for a second. It's money out the window.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well they're barely paying now lol. I don't need 3 accounts for characters. I have 3 accounts for the 3 houses. I play like 4 characters, maybe 5. I have a mage, a fencer, 2 crafters, and a thief with a lot of dust on him. It would seem to me then it's a good idea to use that money and rotate houses. I could have 5 houses for the same money as I pay for 3. Or keep my 3 houses and pay a lot less. That's nuts. I feel stupid for paying full price. I can't believe EA would let this slide for a second. It's money out the window.
Well its a good and bad thing. I doubt I would come back at all for my month or two of paying every 3 months if my house fell. Sure, I am blocking a nice house spot a lot of the time, and I do kinda feel bad about that since I don't play regularly more than 1-3 months a year on average.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
No one that pays for their accounts has complained I think.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Never played the cycle game myself either... have 9 accounts all set up to pay 6 of them are on the 6 month so they bill 2x a year and they are all staggered so I pay for 1 3m and then 1 6 month account each month... they rotate as well every two weeks... one paycheck it's a 6 month and one it's a 3 month... I've often considered getting 3 more accounts and doing 12. But I'm happy with the 9...

It's much cheaper to pay it that way rather than paying for it every month separately or individually ...... Now the way I figure it I'm saving enough paying it the way I do to afford what I like without the stress or worry about having a house fall. But I guess that's me... now if I was a smoker or drinker it probably wouldn't be in my budget... But since UO is my vice and entertainment I can afford it. And honestly if you consider the price of going to the movies even once a month.... UO is cheaper and you get more bang for you buck. At every 6 months it's about 11 bucks or 9 bucks a month... depending... and you can't go to the movies anymore for less than that unless you live rural like I do.. but then you'll have to wait 3 months to see anything. And if you figure the price of a ticket, popcorn, a drink and the gas to go there... it's way more than UO and that thrill lasts what 2 hours? 3 tops? So... UO lasts the full month... and at 6 months it lasts far longer.

People complain about the cost all the time but in all honesty it's less than a carton of smokes, less than a case of beer unless you buy cheap ****... so if you give up polluting yourself with hazardous chemicals not only will your body and lungs thank you ..... but you'll afford more UO. And once again UO will last you 30 days.... if you smoke a pack a day that will last less than 2 weeks.... even if you drink only 2 beers a day then UO will last you far longer than the case of beer..... likely you will have more fun too in UO than you will smoking or drinking... and the friendships made in UO last a very long time. Smokes and beer aren't your friends and they don't do you any good, they may act friendly and make you feel good but they are infact your enemy... eventually they kill you. Which of course will lessen the amount of time you have for UO and REAL friends. My philosophy lesson of the day.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
this is basically the arguement for free to play. free to play, 5 dollars for a house, 5 dollars more for... anything really. many many more would play the game and EA would definitely make more profit. Yes they would probably ruin it and try to make people pay more than 10 dollars a month for what we have now, but if it had been done right 5 years ago im absolutely sure the osi population would be double or triple what it is currently. Refusal to adapt is one of the major downfalls of our current situation.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
this is basically the arguement for free to play. free to play, 5 dollars for a house, 5 dollars more for... anything really. many many more would play the game and EA would definitely make more profit. Yes they would probably ruin it and try to make people pay more than 10 dollars a month for what we have now, but if it had been done right 5 years ago im absolutely sure the osi population would be double or triple what it is currently. Refusal to adapt is one of the major downfalls of our current situation.
All free to play games I've encountered are crap lol Nothing even close to UO in free to play. EA would never do that unless they were positive they could charge more lol

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All free to play games I've encountered are crap lol Nothing even close to UO in free to play. EA would never do that unless they were positive they could charge more lol
archage is pretty good. and yeah thats the problem with EA, they rather have low guaranteed sales rather than small risk for chance at much higher sales and game vitality.

Dodger

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I always thought the cost was dirt cheap, I drink, smoke and other junk and this uo is one addiction that is very cheap. Cigarettes here cost twenty three bucks, maybe last me a day. Uo is thirteen bucks a month and is killing me a little slower.

How do people find the time to play multiple accounts? It has always boggled me.

I spent over five hundred bucks in the uo shop just buying junk to sell for gold over the last six months just because I want to support the game and development, I know I could be one of the crazy rich but I prefer being one of the crazy poor.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I always thought the cost was dirt cheap, I drink, smoke and other junk and this uo is one addiction that is very cheap. Cigarettes here cost twenty three bucks, maybe last me a day. Uo is thirteen bucks a month and is killing me a little slower.

How do people find the time to play multiple accounts? It has always boggled me.

I spent over five hundred bucks in the uo shop just buying junk to sell for gold over the last six months just because I want to support the game and development, I know I could be one of the crazy rich but I prefer being one of the crazy poor.
I suppose if I gave up drinking, crack, prostitutes, smoking, and gambling I would have more extra cash. But it's the simple things in life that make it all worth while.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
This has been kicking around my head since I came back. You can pay for an account every 90 days and keep the house on it the whole time? 2 weeks I could see. Your account messes up, takes a week to realize it. You got a week left till pay day to buy a game time code or something. I wonder how many nice spots are being held out there by people rarely paying. Just seems nuts. I guess if you pay every month you can have 1 house. But if I drop one of my accounts and play around with the same amount of money I could have 3 or 4 houses. There's something seriously wrong here.
Oh this is nothing man, lol. A new player that joined my guild in December 2012 placed a house, then quit because of the giant December Atlantic revert. I am 100% sure he quit, because he told us, the house has been empty the whole time and has never changed at all. Here we are two years later and the house still has not IDOC'd. The house system messes up quite often.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Oh this is nothing man, lol. A new player that joined my guild in December 2012 placed a house, then quit because of the giant December Atlantic revert. I am 100% sure he quit, because he told us, the house has been empty the whole time and has never changed at all. Here we are two years later and the house still has not IDOC'd. The house system messes up quite often.
I imagine if he came back it would drop, lol

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Because they may be pixels, but after you've collected them for 17 years you sometimes start liking your pixel stuff better than your real stuff :)

Dodger

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I started early in uo, pixels never bothered me.

I think its a trammie thing. Ive never seen ppl in fel trip this hard unless they are trammies.

What's the topic again?

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I started early in uo, pixels never bothered me.

I think its a trammie thing. Ive never seen ppl in fel trip this hard unless they are trammies.

What's the topic again?
People in Fel do the same thing, only difference is they do it over gear instead of deco and houses :)

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can pay for an account every 90 days and keep the house on it the whole time?
Why not bank the stuff and demolish the house? That's what I do when going on a hiatus and it works perfectly fine. I wouldn't want to have an artifical deadline, when I would have to come back...

I could have 3 or 4 houses.
Honestly I never understood why someone would want more than one house. But then that's just me...

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah, but thats like eating at taco bell and declaring there is no such thing as a good taco. :p

There are plenty of decent or at least non predatory free to play games out there, and even if not, it only takes one good one to come along and change that.

If they made the game free, but you house went idoc right away if you weren't paying, I would probably keep my account open year round, and may play more. Who knows.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmm I need to say something on this and dont take it the wrong way.... it is meant to make you think the next time you point the finger and cast espersions on the next guy.

17 years is a long time for a game...
Even our great UO...
Many changes have impacted the game that should never of happened.
EA comes to mind as our first and no doubt will be our last.
In between Bad Dev..
Bad Publishes...
Bad ideas..
None more then the pencil pusher who thought of how to make money off others by cheating them...
Of this I mean the bean counters of many firms who cut our fathers, mothers and others of thier pentions by the last minute pink slip at the 11th hour of thier job life.
This leach activity slunk into every part of business...
UO was not spared as those who kept the beans cut what we had down to bite size to get even more moeny out of the player.
9/11 did its part along with war..... too many of our friends left and didnt come home...
Those that did....well had it hard reajusting and the game troubles didnt help any.....
Many left our game seeking more thrills....
While others needed nastalgia.... and well EA saw that that would not happen...(not sure if it was done on purpose so I will give a grain of salt on this*)
The 2007-8 melt down many saw it coming and warned who would listen.....
Let's face it no one wants to hear doom and gloom even if it is to save them....
Alot were hit with the ether cut all luxurys and even some needs to save money... and hope they kept their jobs.
Many didnt find this out till it was too late... no one was spared...
Rich and poor both were hit hard.
You might say ok that was the past... but it still is a working fact...
Many out there are working on a shoe string... and what once was easy pesey to do now is done with paper and pen to budget it out or onthe comp in a spred sheet of how andwhen you can aford things that once were a given.
"Kids" have had to move home... in this term you best listen hard as some of those "KIDS" are parents themselves... and its not just them moving in with grandma and pops.
Oh we are improving in jobs and more are going back to how life was... but many are still out there..struggling.
I for one will not pancake one iota at a player who trys their best to pay thier way and I wont look down on those who are saving what they had by cycling payments on a few asccounts.
We all have had tough times...
Those of you who wish to punish them best sit back and wonder if next time a finacial crisis hits the working public will anyone speak up for you?
I wil say there have been times when my checks have been late and i have had to shift accounts to a month off do fix billing dates to fall where I need them to...and a few accounts have slipped through my fingers .....past the 90 day limit. we all have our prioritys.
But never let me hear you all down grade those who cant help it to have to cycle for money sake to keep their life in game and feed their family.

Capn Lucky I understand your point and it is noble of you to wonder about who is cheating Broadsword for its revenue...
But I do point out there are factors in alot of todays reasons for some cycling.
EA Billing system .....and oxymorish business you hope to work but 2/3s of the time fails miseribly.
The human mind to keep time ... ie dates in ones head.
Everyone has heard the "Is it already been 30 days??"
Or the "I paid that already...didnt I?"

We are human...

Out side of a few shards I can think of off the top of my head there is little houseing shortage in space .
I am a happy player my game still lives....

PS: EA is still getting paid 4 months out of a year per on those who cycle an account. I would asume they pay for a steady account too. Just think of those who been pushing of late to go free to play and the yelling about the cost to play UO out there... I'll take the 4 months per year on a side account any day then the F2P bit.

Last edited:

Dodger

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmm I need to say something on this and dont take it the wrong way.... it is meant to make you think the next time you point the finger and cast espersions on the next guy.

17 years is a long time for a game...
Even our great UO...
Many changes have impacted the game that should never of happened.
EA comes to mind as our first and no doubt will be our last.
In between Bad Dev..
Bad Publishes...
Bad ideas..
None more then the pencil pusher who thought of how to make money off others by cheating them...
Of this I mean the bean counters of many firms who cut our fathers, mothers and others of thier pentions by the last minute pink slip at the 11th hour of thier job life.
This leach activity slunk into every part of business...
UO was not spared as those who kept the beans cut what we had down to bite size to get even more moeny out of the player.
9/11 did its part along with war..... too many of our friends left and didnt come home...
Those that did....well had it hard reajusting and the game troubles didnt help any.....
Many left our game seeking more thrills....
While others needed nastalgia.... and well EA saw that that would not happen...(not sure if it was done on purpose so I will give a grain of salt on this*)
The 2007-8 melt down many saw it coming and warned who would listen.....
Let's face it no one wants to hear doom and gloom even if it is to save them....
Alot were hit with the ether cut all luxurys and even some needs to save money... and hope they kept their jobs.
Many didnt find this out till it was too late... no one was spared...
Rich and poor both were hit hard.
You might say ok that was the past... but it still is a working fact...
Many out there are working on a shoe string... and what once was easy pesey to do now is done with paper and pen to budget it out or onthe comp in a spred sheet of how andwhen you can aford things that once were a given.
"Kids" have had to move home... in this term you best listen hard as some of those "KIDS" are parents themselves... and its not just them moving in with grandma and pops.
Oh we are improving in jobs and more are going back to how life was... but many are still out there..struggling.
I for one will not pancake one iota at a player who trys their best to pay thier way and I wont look down on those who are saving what they had by cycling payments on a few asccounts.
We all have had tough times...
Those of you who wish to punish them best sit back and wonder if next time a finacial crisis hits the working public will anyone speak up for you?
I wil say there have been times when my checks have been late and i have had to shift accounts to a month off do fix billing dates to fall where I need them to...and a few accounts have slipped through my fingers .....past the 90 day limit. we all have our prioritys.
But never let me hear you all down grade those who cant help it to have to cycle for money sake to keep their life in game and feed their family.

Capn Lucky I understand your point and it is noble of you to wonder about who is cheating Broadsword for its revenue...
But I do point out there are factors in alot of todays reasons for some cycling.
EA Billing system .....and oxymorish business you hope to work but 2/3s of the time fails miseribly.
The human mind to keep time ... ie dates in ones head.
Everyone has heard the "Is it already been 30 days??"
Or the "I paid that already...didnt I?"

We are human...

Out side of a few shards I can think of off the top of my head there is little houseing shortage in space .
I am a happy player my game still lives....
I totally agree, I didn't read it but I like your passion.

Sorry, I felt bad after typing that and looked at it and besides your passion one thing really stood out to me, the blah about online friends. We don't have them. Watch a few episodes of Catfish then tell me you still love me.

I still love you messana, even if your a two hundred and forty pound guy.