• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

THIS is a Castle... OR: "The Marksburg-Challenge"

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hello fellow friends of the medieval landscapes!

This is a bit a different thread - not exactly off-topic, only a bit. You all know these typical UO-moments in RL, when you see something and think of an ingame-phenomenon...

Ok, I was visiting the ONLY completely authentic, never destroyed or new-built castle in whole Germany, at the river Rhine. It is part of the UNESCO world culture heritage and lies upon a hill directly at the stream. It is in an absolutely unique condition, just like from the 14. or 15. century. It is, however, built in the years shortly after 1231...

Here we go, a view from downhill:

Nicely placed, it never was IDOC, only a bit worn during the centuries...

The walls are 3.5 meters thick. Now idea how much this is in Inches or Feet, but it is ALOT! The guys feared that the whole thing would crumble down some day...

This is the toilet from outside...

...and from inside. Intelligent design: You sit between walls 3.5 meters thick and all that comes out of you drops onto the garden. Organic plant growth...

THIS, my friends, is a wooden chest. Shame I forgot my soulstone with GM Lockpicking...

A painting recovered from a shipwreck showing the guy who placed the castle here...

Nice Dexxer-Suits, reforged, imbued and refined. I wish, we had metal armor that looks like that stuff! So fancy... I would love to wear such a helmet!

THE TOWER!

So, and finally, we come to the pointe of this little thread: I love castles, but I think, they would look better, if they were customizable.

Consequently, I am offering a contest: The person, that is able to build a castle looking (a bit) like this one...

...designed on an 18x18 spot on Drachenfels or on TC1, will be rewarded with attractive prizes. Deadline is September 14, 2014, 20.30 Middle European Time.

UPDATE!

In order to widen the range of potential participants I split the contest into two parts:

Part 1: The Permanent Marksburg-Castle. Place a 18x18 on Drachenfels and win gold on DF or ATL (you can choose). 50 millions for the winner, 20 millions for the second winner, 10 millions for the third winner. This is the main challenge and the castle will be made permanent on a free account openly accessible for everybody. Your task: Finding a nice spot on Drachenfels (which is not hard, there is PLENTY of space), placing an 18x18 spot, designing the Castle and decorating it.

Part 2: The Test-Center Marksburg-Castle. In order to motivate people to particpate that do not want to use a free account for placing on Drachenfels, I would offer a special TC1-Challenge. Same conditions as in part one, only on TC1. Awards: 20 millions for the winner handed out on ATL (10 millions for the second winner, 5 millions for the third winner).

Your building will be evaluated according to the following sheme:

Architecture: 10 Points
Decoration: 5 Points

Every contestant can get a maximum of 20 points.

It is NOT the goal to re-build the castle shown above, as it is impossible to do so on only 18x18-plots. But it is the goal to build a castle that is inspired by this historical model.

If you want to participate, please write your statement in this thread! If your castle is ready, please contact me for handing out the runes for the jury.

Thank you!

Last edited:

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awwww. Sorry for the screwed pictures. In my computer they look correct. No idea why they are looking in the wrong direction :-(

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think it is reasonable to give you the most important picture in big-scale:

If the jury likes the winning design, we will make sure that the new "castle" will stay on the shard, openly accessible to everybody. It will be transferred to an empty account, so that everybody can do sightseeing in future...

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Would it be considered cheating or an unfair advantage if someone decided to try doing this as an illusion castle over a series of plots placed next to each other?

Zuckuss

Order | Chaos
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This place is called Castle Post. It's located just outside Lexington Kentucky in Versailles. It has always reminded me of UO whenever I drive by.

CASTLEPOST.jpeg

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Would it be considered cheating or an unfair advantage if someone decided to try doing this as an illusion castle over a series of plots placed next to each other?
No, that would be very cool. I thought, however, that most players dont have even one account free for such a challenge. Maybe you get a special award then. But I think we would not be able to keep the castle, because we only have one account free for the winner house... But it would be extremely cool to see, what you make out of this idea!

Zuckuss

Order | Chaos
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yes, it's quite like the UO style, especially the tennis field and the swimming pool :lol:
You can't see the tennis court and the swimming pool when you drive by. It looks like a square building. Just like the UO castles. Also the UO players have created swimming pools that I know of. I wouldn't be surprised if over the history of UO someone has created a basketball court as well. =)

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You can't see the tennis court and the swimming pool when you drive by. It looks like a square building. Just like the UO castles. Also the UO players have created swimming pools that I know of. I wouldn't be surprised if over the history of UO someone has created a basketball court as well. =)
Tryon once had a nice idea for what the large patio could have.

http://imanewbie.com/loband/lo-ima-frameset.shtml

Kayhynn

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
My interest is piqued, however I don't have a free account to place a house on Drach to try to design one.

Good luck!

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
...designed on an 18x18 spot on Drachenfels, will be rewarded with 20 million pieces of gold on the respective shard. Deadline is September 14, 2014, 20.30 Middle European Time.

Your task: Finding a nice spot on Drachenfels (which is not hard, there is PLENTY of space), placing an 18x18 spot, designing the Castle and decorating it.

Your building will be evaluated according to the following sheme:

Architecture: 10 Points
Decoration: 5 Points

Every contestant can get a maximum of 20 points.

Winner gets 20 million pieces of gold in cash on DF.
2. Winner gets a gargoyle axe named "Pincer" from the Shadowlords
3. Winner gets a guilded statue from the personal collection of King Blackthorn

It is NOT the goal to re-build the castle shown above, as it is impossible to do so on only 18x18-plots. But it is the goal to build a castle that is inspired by this historical model.

If you want to participate, please write your statement in this thread!

Thank you!
Love this Challenge.

If its ok with you I will Kick in an additional 100 mil in prize money which you can divide up as you see fit since its your Event. :)

Gold will be delivered on Atlantic.

Piotr

Stratic's Finest
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Awards
I love this contest, so I've opened an old account and placed an 18x18 plot on Drachenfels (my home shard). So you can count me in! :)

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you all for your answers! Actually, I am working out a plan for a challenge consiting of two parts - a Drachenfels- and a TC1-challenge. I will post the results in the opening lines of this thread. So, stay tuned - I will post news soon. Furthermore, we will offer more attractive rewards - thanks to all people offering money or items to make the challenge more attractive.

So, there will be some news soon!

Thanks!

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here are some additional impressions... I wonder if they used their veteran reward choices for these cannons:

Look at this Heart of the Home Fire:

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pffft no evil alters, pentagrams, death vortexes? Haven't seen one guillotine or head on a spike! Gotta be some scam...
It may be disappointing, but true castles are way less "evil". There is, however, a torture chamber. These pictures are for you, Captain Lucky:

Torturing instruments for liars and adulterers: You had to wear these iron masks for weeks publicly...

A gobelin illustrating major tortures such as stretching, funneling with slurry and cooking in a iron boar. According to the lady of the castle it was in 99% sufficent to show these pictures in order to make people confess ther sins. Real torture was not necessary. You just showed the instruments and those pictures...

And finally, the most oftenly used instrument: the pillory. A truely severe punishment. You would have to stay in this thing for days on the market place. And people would throw crap on you... Ouch! Ah, and look on these stone- and iron-balls you could wear while being imprisoned...

Kayhynn

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Can I share this contest over on UOHomeDecor as well?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I told Mesanna that every town ought to have a pillory.... this would be great for Halloween. When trick or treating instead of getting sent to the moongate you get sent to the Pillory for a little while and everyone can throw stuff at you.... pies and such. Would be a hoot. Or you could choose to "bribe" them with some of your spoils instead of being sent away. I think it would be great.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ATTENTION: I changed the modus for the challenge in order to motivate people to participate, that do not have free accounts or do not wish to change their houses. Please read the first message!

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Eaerendil I forgot to reply to you on this I wanted to know if this was ok if not I have time to rebuild.
I made a scale model on test center of what I want the outer look of a castle. Hope this is ok I wanted to be different on this one. tc1con.jpg
located on Test 1 Center Tokuno Islands gate Mako-Jima
Coor. 35.30'N 52.10'w
house name: Sherry The Mouse's Castle
Owner: Michelle
( Oh you can not get into any buildings even as a mouse)

Last edited:

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Michelle: Sorry for the delay. Had some business with the kids lately. This is a lovely castle and - of course - you could join the contest with it. Even if it looks a bit asian ;-)

I hope that there will be some more participants. A contest with one participant on TC1 and one on DF (which is the Status quo) cannot be considered as contest ;-)

So, lets wait and see. If there are only the two of you, Pio and Michelle, we will find a nice reward for you. But it would be cooler if we get 5 or more contestants on both shards.

Best wishes!

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Eaerendil
No problem I know how it is when kids are in the picture they come first.
I Don't expect you to give out anything if you do not get enough designs for this contest so no worries.

Piotr

Stratic's Finest
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Awards
@Eaerendil
No problem I know how it is when kids are in the picture they come first.
I Don't expect you to give out anything if you do not get enough designs for this contest so no worries.
I second that. Hopefully more will participate, as I'd love to see others take on this challenge. :)

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, thanks! So, we got 2 contestants on TC1 - this is the nucleus of a contest. And we got 1 contestant on DF. I will talk to the jury if we merge the contests in case there wont be no other people participating. You still got time til Sunday, 14th.

Please contact me via PM to give me your runes.

THANK YOU!

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Eaerendil
This is my entry for the contest made some changes plus added more deco.
TC1contest2.jpg
located on Test 1 Center Tokuno Islands gate Mako-Jima
Coor. 35.30'N 52.10'w
house name: Sherry The Mouse's Castle
Owner: Michelle
( Oh you can not get into any buildings even as a mouse)

Nereus

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Contest entry is ready. Will post details in the Home & Garden forum as soon as I figure out why an unspecified error message pops up when uploading files to Stratics.

In the meantime, visitors can go here:
Shard: Test Center 1
Facet: Malas
Coordinates: 27º 5'N 9º 21'E

Follow the road leading west out of Umbra. Castle is in a clearing to the south of the road before reaching the orc fort. House runes are available on vendors.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is very promising. Got contest entries from Michelle, Piotr and Nereus. I will talk to the jury about merging the three entries to one contest and about the prizes we hand out. Three entries is nice, because we can give out three awards and everybody will get a share.

Thanks for the coordinates. It would be easier for us as if you could contact me via PM in order to hand out runes for all three locations.

Of course, additional entries are welcome - until Sunday!

Best wishes and thanks alot! The designs look fantastic!

P.S.: Please post as much pictures as possible here, so that we can all participate in your wonderful work!

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Got the first set of runes from Piotr on Drachenfels. I will hand them out to the jury. Cool! Thanks!

Piotr

Stratic's Finest
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Awards
Marksburg Castle Challenge.

I tried to get as many features and details, from Earendil's photos, into the design and decoration as possible. I hope you like the result. :smile2:

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yea! I visited it. Many similarities to the original. Will be a cool contest! The jury conists of 4 people including me: Frarc, Lord Nabin and Kayhynn. We will have a look at all houses and then decide. May take some time... ;-)

Waxx

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Hi all,

i read this post and had some thoughts about this like, is it possible on 18*18 at all, what can i build and how....
nevertheless i decided to accept the challenge.

screenshots will follow as soon as i finished the construction, but now i have to hurry to get it done before the deadline is reached.

good luck all participants.

Cheers from Drachs.

Waxx

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, folks! Think we are closing the contest now. We got 4 entries, 2 on TC 1 and 2 on Drachenfels. I made runes for all houses and I will hand them out to our jury. As soon as they sent me their vote via PM, I will publicly inform about the winners. As there are only two entries for each category, we will have to discuss about the awards (merging the contest, handing out only 1. & 2. places). But we will find answers.

Please give us some days to evaluate the designs and to make a decision. As we are living in different timezones, this may take a bit. I think, we will be ready be the mid of the week or at the weekend.

We will then inform about the location of each building and - if there are enough people willing to join - make a public tour.

THANKS ALOT FOR ALL CONTRIBUTIONS!

And see you soon!

Waxx

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Good Evening all,

after Eaerendil closed now the contest i would like to share my interpretation of the Marksburg. Please find screen shots below.

Burg1.JPG Burg2.JPG Burg4.JPG Burg5.JPG Burg6.JPG Burg7.JPG Burg8.JPG

i hope you like it.

the house is public and located a few screens south of Ice Dungeon Trammel on Drachenfels.
Corrdinates: 129° 27' N / 46° 15' E
Owner: Mr Scarface

cheers,
Waxx

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hello everybody, here is a Little update:

I already got the votings of 2 of the 4 jury-members and I can tell: It will be close ;-)

As soon as I get the other 2 votings, I will announce the winners!