• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

This game is awesome.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If I have a white and a black bucket with paint, I will always chose the white one. I can't help it.

There are enough "blackpainters" on this forum...

So: Cheers for the cheerleaders!
Wow racist.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This game is awesome
This game was awesome.

I played since January 2000 and no other game has had the impact on me that UO has. Spent so many fun hours being engrossed in this world. It was a truly amazing online experience at one time in its history, never bettered in my eyes to this day by any other game.

However, when I look back now over the years I just feel deeply saddened and disappointed by what it has become, for a whole host of reasons. Lack of investment by EA in both development and advertising, ever decreasing playerbase, many many dubious design choices by the devs, blatant condoning of scripters, dupers and hackers to highlight just a few. I could list dozens of lower level things that have hurt the game even more but wont bother.

I continue to follow its progress and live in hope that one day, something will happen to change things, be that EA selling the franchise, a classic server maybe, a F2P model perhaps.

With the right investment, development, advertising and direction, UO could have continued to be awesome. Instead its a niche, hotchpotch of a game, limping along on life support both in terms of player numbers and development. Deeply sad, but unfortunately true.

Cutter

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This game was awesome.

I played since January 2000 and no other game has had the impact on me that UO has. Spent so many fun hours being engrossed in this world. It was a truly amazing online experience at one time in its history, never bettered in my eyes to this day by any other game.
I think the vast majority of people still on UO servers probably feel the same way, and at this point are lifers.

However, when I look back now over the years I just feel deeply saddened and disappointed by what it has become, for a whole host of reasons. Lack of investment by EA in both development and advertising, ever decreasing playerbase, many many dubious design choices by the devs, blatant condoning of scripters, dupers and hackers to highlight just a few. I could list dozens of lower level things that have hurt the game even more but wont bother.
This is a double edged sword. The fact that UO really is an out-dated game means not many new subs aside from family members or close friends of "lifers". No teenagers are rushing to Best-buy for their copy of UO, obviously. Not many new subs means EA most likely CANT invest very heavily. Personally I think those of us who still enjoy UO should be thankful and grateful it's still here 18 years later! That is not to say there aren't things that can and should be fixed, we all know that and hopefully the powers that be will continue working towards that.

I can't disagree with the part about hackers/scammers, but that started with beta days, and that sort of stuff happens in every game, especially when actual currency comes into play.

As for the decreasing player-base, yeah that started when t2a came out. More left when WoW and other games came out, and many simply moved on from our out-dated yet beloved game. In the past few months that I've started playing again more regularly I've actually noticed what seems to be an influx of returning vet. players though!

I continue to follow its progress and live in hope that one day, something will happen to change things, be that EA selling the franchise, a classic server maybe, a F2P model perhaps.

With the right investment, development, advertising and direction, UO could have continued to be awesome. Instead its a niche, hotchpotch of a game, limping along on life support both in terms of player numbers and development. Deeply sad, but unfortunately true.
UO is still awesome! Even if it's only awesome for the nostalgia those of us who played it nearly half our lives feel for the game. Personally I've had a lot of fun the past few months running around learning the new changes, fighting (or hiding!), and reliving some of those memories you mentioned in your first paragraph!

Dare I say it...What is Dead May Never Die :pirate:

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Posting about how awesome a game is on that games fan forum?

Yeah ... thats going to produce a valid result of how awesome a game is.

Try posting that statement on an online gaming forum and see what all the long time players who already quit think. Actually no ... just look at the UO steam green light thread on steam and see what people think of UO, many of whom were UO vets.

WAS awesome?, not many will disagree with that.

IS awesome?, I think the ever decreasing numbers of players answers that one.

Gamer_Goblin

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Posting about how awesome a game is on that games fan forum?

Yeah ... thats going to produce a valid result of how awesome a game is.

Try posting that statement on an online gaming forum and see what all the long time players who already quit think. Actually no ... just look at the UO steam green light thread on steam and see what people think of UO, many of whom were UO vets.

WAS awesome?, not many will disagree with that.

IS awesome?, I think the ever decreasing numbers of players answers that one.
This game is awesome! That is all. Suck it up buttercup.

funkymonkey

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Devs do not think this game is awesome.

The lack of contact from them proves it.

Nostalgia is wonderful that's the only thing that keeps people playing

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
The lack of contact from them proves it.
How much contact would be acceptable? I mean until here recently Kyronix was what I would consider very active on these boards ( UO Developer Feed ), and the Devs were doing meet and greets a good bit of the time. Do they need to have constant contact with the player base to have the players "feel" like they care?? How many dev teams out there do that? :rolleyes:

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How much contact would be acceptable? I mean until here recently Kyronix was what I would consider very active on these boards ( UO Developer Feed ), and the Devs were doing meet and greets a good bit of the time. Do they need to have constant contact with the player base to have the players "feel" like they care?? How many dev teams out there do that? :rolleyes:
...most of them do?

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
...most of them do?
Going to have to agree with Aran on this. Most of the teams responsible for popular MMOs put out a constant stream of communication, from tidbits and minor "spoilers" to massively detailed info dumps...all of which put UO's anemic trickle of communication to shame. These other studios do this to keep their subscribers engaged and interested, so they want to keep playing (and paying).

Until the recent drama, Kyronix was doing an admirable job as PR person...while Mesanna seems to only be heard from if there is a problem (it's sad that she has to clean up after EA's constant displays of inadequacy). Messages on UO.com tend feel like rushed, last minute affairs, rife with typos or outright inaccuracies. The monthly newsletter arrives on a random day, and only to those who have opted in, rather than blasted to every registered account email...and isn't posted/linked on UO.com at all (which is ridiculous).

As I've said before, BS desperately needs to hire a community liaison to interact with their communities (not just Stratics) so players at least feel acknowledged. (The M&G's are nice for this, but are a fairly clumsy way of handling it overall.)

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Going to have to agree with Aran on this. Most of the teams responsible for popular MMOs put out a constant stream of communication, from tidbits and minor "spoilers" to massively detailed info dumps...all of which put UO's anemic trickle of communication to shame. These other studios do this to keep their subscribers engaged and interested, so they want to keep playing (and paying).

Until the recent drama, Kyronix was doing an admirable job as PR person...while Mesanna seems to only be heard from if there is a problem (it's sad that she has to clean up after EA's constant displays of inadequacy). Messages on UO.com tend feel like rushed, last minute affairs, rife with typos or outright inaccuracies. The monthly newsletter arrives on a random day, and only to those who have opted in, rather than blasted to every registered account email...and isn't posted/linked on UO.com at all (which is ridiculous).

As I've said before, BS desperately needs to hire a community liaison to interact with their communities (not just Stratics) so players at least feel acknowledged. (The M&G's are nice for this, but are a fairly clumsy way of handling it overall.)
^^^This^^^

As well I have to agree the game "was" fun... when it was more about the social experiment and less about stuff and greed...

That part I think is ruining UO for many of us. The stuff is too much and we are drowning in it with no extra added storage to store it we are torn between what to keep and what to throw... points at turn in don't seem to change anymore so have gone stale like old bread... no longer desirable and the things you can get either don't wear out or aren't worth getting... Many of them once you have one are plenty ...... the dyes while great don't work on so many things one might use them on and are so overly expensive it makes them not worth the bother.

So your stuck... if you do more things in the game you get more crap that you are forced to deal with... and what do you do with it? Sell it? When it takes more in vendor fees and time wasted than it rewards with the time and effort put in placing it for sale? or if you price it decently someone out to make a buck comes and buys it and marks up the price to ridiculous proportions making it nearly impossible to help newer young players...

Don't play the game to make a buck.... maybe that's why I'm no longer enjoying it. I used to play to enjoy the game for it's social aspects... the role-play, the adventures... that sort of stuff. It wasn't about getting a drop, getting an artifact or title or any of that. It was about getting together with your friends and guildmates for an adventure... but now that everyone solo's everything and taking a guild into a dungeon is like watching paint dry... since 2/3 of the time is spent standing about waiting... and people don't seem to want to come do anything unless it will bring in at least 100m in booty... it has pretty much killed all socialization of the game.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I pretty much gave up on enjoying UO expansions past Samurai Empire. Everything since that expansion is just monsters with to many hp and crafting that leans towards pain in the rump due to problems getting ingredients or needing to use spreadsheets to calculate what you need to know. What was done to crafting since Stygian Abyss should have gotten someone's rump fired for all their work and removing any trace of fun from what they inflicted on the game. Heck, maybe that's why we've seen the turnover in devs, someone higher up the food chain at EA saw what was done and canned some hides. Now if they'd just remove the rest and add some new devs who believe players enjoy *fun!* additions to their game, not aggravating b.s. to their games. Could bring us new players because most of the complaints in these forums would stop.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I have always looked at the newer crafting thing as being a decent thing. Sure, it's a slight pain figuring out what all you need to make X.. but the ingredients needed seemed to be something that was geared towards newish players being able to turn some gold, especially when it comes to the imbue ingreds. I have told a lot of returning players and new players that one of their best sources of gold would be to hit the mini spawns.

Very delicate balance in developing the game imho... If you do X you are gonna tick off group B, but group A&C wants you to do X... Either way the Devs go they are ticking off one section of the community one way or another.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the lack of numbers is true
lets be honest we could all play on 2 shards east and west of the world!! never mind 27
but this game was and is awesome...it gave birth to all that came after....
thats it....

have fun

Gamer_Goblin

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Careful he'll put ya in his sig. :offtopic:

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
^^^This^^^

As well I have to agree the game "was" fun... when it was more about the social experiment and less about stuff and greed...

That part I think is ruining UO for many of us. The stuff is too much and we are drowning in it with no extra added storage to store it we are torn between what to keep and what to throw... points at turn in don't seem to change anymore so have gone stale like old bread... no longer desirable and the things you can get either don't wear out or aren't worth getting... Many of them once you have one are plenty ...... the dyes while great don't work on so many things one might use them on and are so overly expensive it makes them not worth the bother.

So your stuck... if you do more things in the game you get more crap that you are forced to deal with... and what do you do with it? Sell it? When it takes more in vendor fees and time wasted than it rewards with the time and effort put in placing it for sale? or if you price it decently someone out to make a buck comes and buys it and marks up the price to ridiculous proportions making it nearly impossible to help newer young players...

Don't play the game to make a buck.... maybe that's why I'm no longer enjoying it. I used to play to enjoy the game for it's social aspects... the role-play, the adventures... that sort of stuff. It wasn't about getting a drop, getting an artifact or title or any of that. It was about getting together with your friends and guildmates for an adventure... but now that everyone solo's everything and taking a guild into a dungeon is like watching paint dry... since 2/3 of the time is spent standing about waiting... and people don't seem to want to come do anything unless it will bring in at least 100m in booty... it has pretty much killed all socialization of the game.
You need to come to Siege, where none of these problems really exist. Without Siege, the Awesomeness of this game was significantly lower for me...

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You need to come to Siege, where none of these problems really exist. Without Siege, the Awesomeness of this game was significantly lower for me...
Siege is mostly dead. I've been there. Sadly when I have time to play most shards are like a ghost town... besides which what I really enjoy about UO is RP... I didn't really find any of that on Siege nor did I find it that welcoming besides one guild which are truly wonderful folk... but sadly they don't seem to be around when I am.

I'm sorry but I don't find getting killed half the time I go somewhere fun or enjoyable. I don't find having someone jump me while I'm minding my own business fun either.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
100 percent different experience. Strange world you're living in... ;-P

But nevermind. UO is awesome!

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
If you didn't play pre-Trammel, you missed it when it was a great game. ;) Or somewhere around Pub 19?
This seems to be a common point that is made.. for me I honestly have no desire to PvP as do a lot of other folks in the game. Yet those who like/love to PvP seem to think the game would be greater without the rules that Tram provide. I can't speak for the rest of the folks, but I know I would have simply passed on the game if it did not offer the non PvP facet. *shrugs*

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This seems to be a common point that is made.. for me I honestly have no desire to PvP as do a lot of other folks in the game. Yet those who like/love to PvP seem to think the game would be greater without the rules that Tram provide. I can't speak for the rest of the folks, but I know I would have simply passed on the game if it did not offer the non PvP facet. *shrugs*
I never ever PvP'd but still think that pre trammel UO was by FAR a better game. UO how it was designed to be. Risk vs reward.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Funny story when I bought UO it was UO:R and I fell in love instantly with the game... I knew my brother was a big game lover so at Thanksgiving that year I was going on about how I loved this game and he having actually played early pre-Tram UO looked at me with disgust in his face and tone and said "OU? That pile of **** WTF?! You couldn't pay me to play that ****! WTF you want to play that for?!?! That game sucks!" And we never really spoke of it again... he now plays WoW... which I give him a hard time about playing his Pokemon/Panda game...

And he won't ever return... even with Tram... even with all the changes. He won't even look at UO. Now my Sisters... I tried to get one of them to play even made a character and got her to log in... but she claims she's "too busy" to play a stupid game... and the other well... she and I are related somehow but she doesn't game. Must be a generational gap or something I don't know... she doesn't even own a computer... just her silly tablet.

Sad fact is UO has lost a number of players over the years and many of them... are like my brother... they would NEVER return... their experience with UO was so bad that nothing the DEVs could do would ever bring them back... UO fills them with disgust. Either due to their early experience in Pre-Tram... or experience with losing things from hackers, scammers, or glitches that cost them dearly and the experience scared them so deeply that they divorced themselves from the game so completely they won't ever return.

The ones who might return someday are the ones who just got bored and left... life got busy and they had to go... or they fell on hard times. But those scared and divorced will never return no matter what carrots you dangle or how many shinnies you try to bribe them with.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Trammel saved UO
That it did. Gave the players pkers were driving out of the game somewhere to go besides leaving the game completely. Silly pkers just weren't bright enough back then to figure out that people weren't going to keep paying to play a game where they were just fun for others but not allowed to have fun themselves by those others.

Simple Darwinism, predators who wipe out the prey they need to live on to survive, become extinct. *shrugs*

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Trammel saved UO
I don't believe that and you can't prove it :p

I was one of many who loved the game pre Trammel. Siege saved UO for me, I can't stand Trammel and yes I had tried but Atlantic and DF died for me when Trammel was added.