• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Third Dawn Texture Pack...

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Well since the title has a time limit on when you can edit it, I'll just start a catch-all thread for anything going on with this texture pack.

Ok, so where do we stand now?

4/14/2011

Version 2.2

- Added in texture for Status Window that was not moved over from the working directory to the build directory
- Removed redundant files in the Spell Icons directory

4/13/2011

- Removed Icons.xml so that the Texture package will run on Pinco's Icons.XML and remain updated
- Updated Pinco's UI to 4.1i, making changes to the new Status Window to fit the Third Dawn texture Package
- Testing Third Dawn with 4.1i to find any other issues that need to be addressed.
- Readme file has some additional information added.

4/11/2011

Started a couple of minor updates for better compatibility with 4.1x Pinco's UI releases.
Added in the Crystal Porter icon
Tomorrow I plan on a Pinco's update and then a Third Dawn update.

3/27/2011

UPDATE: Version 2.0 has been completed and uploaded to Pinco's site, please let me know if I missed any weirdness!

Finished last few icons, downloaded the latest version of Pinco's UI to start the revamp using the newest codebase. There are about 7 more icons (mostly text or easy to transfer graphics compared to all of the pet icons which took the brunt of time (which annoys me to no end since I neither have a tamer or give a rat's a-hole about the huge number of icons they apparently need... BAH!).

So anyway, 7 more icons, then moving over the Third Dawn textures and getting the XML worked out and all should be good to go!

3/26/2011

Icons left:

Actions2: 10

3/25/2011

Potion and Rune Location icons COMPLETE!

Icons left:
Actions2: 80

3/24/2011

Slayer icons COMPLETE!

Icons left: 141
Actions2: 81
Potions: 19
Runes:41

After icons will be a download of whatever the current Pinco UI is and a rebuild of the XML files using current systems as well as any more texture tweaks as they reveal themselves.

3/22/2011

Current icon count left to complete: 204
Actions2: 81
Potions: 19
Runes: 41
Slayers: 63

Mind you that I will likely try and find a quick way to convert the rest of the icons as I have spent a good bit of time trying to create the actions2 icons in a manner more consistent with the Third Dawn Textures.

After working with Nalif's UI template, I believe it is not going to be a good fit for Third Dawn, but will likely work well for Copper/Stone.

3/20/2011

After some time off for UO itself (yeah actually playing, who knew!), and a couple of other games, did some icon work today. Continuing work on the actions2 folder which so far seems to be one of the more involved folders in terms of icons.

3/11/2011

Ran into an issue of retexturing under Nalif's system. His version for the borders of the default windows is incompatible with the Third Dawn textures, so I will have to figure out how I was to reconfigure that file to use the textures as intended (which will be fun as it was quite the trick to get them to work in the normal UI!).

Retextured several of the buttons (The lock button, the + and - buttons, the boxed arrow buttons, etc) to create a more UO-based theme (namely the buttons from internal gumps)

Work on icons continues as I have time/desire.

3/5/2011

Started work on retexturing based on Nalif's UI system. Thus far I have retextured the combo boxes which will be somewhat different than the current Third Dawn versions (which themselves are basically the copper/stone versions left over). Should be able to get through a few of the texture files this weekend. Then once the texures are done then it will be the positioning and tweaking process through XML, keep going on icons and work my way towards Third Dawn Texture Pack 2.0

2/23/2011

Current Version is 1.6

The Pinco UI icons and other icons that can be expected to be used in the "custom default menu bar" have been reformatted to match the UI as a whole. The tabs in the Action icon UI gump that have recently been completed are: Menu Actions, Pinco's UI (except one I missed), and Combat. And example is seen here:

(Note that Log Out and Exit UO have been changed since this image to match the Actions and Macros buttons in format)

Work in progress:

More icons are being reformatted (since the expanded icon pack is now part of the main Pinco UI, I am going through each folder and doing all of the icons to match the Third Dawn UI. As of this writing, the Numbers icons (00-29) have been completed. Next folder is "actions2" and then down from there.

Future plans:

I plan on seeing how well Third Dawn will reformat into Nalif's template and if it works well, I will rewrite the texture pack into that template. I will also keep continuing on the icons (assuming that more and more and more don't get dumped into the system).

Third Dawn on the Exchange:

Yes, I still plan on releasing an "Enhanced" version with the Exchange if it is warranted.

Merion

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nice! Where is the place you first upload it to? The Exchange or Pinco"s Site?

Also, great that you"re going to use Nalifs template. I think it was a nice work of him to muck out the xml files.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Just letting you know I can't scale the atlas when I'm using the Third Dawn pack.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Hmmm... looks like you're right.

Replace MapWindow.XML with one from a default version of Pinco's UI and it will be fixed.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Unfortunately the latest version (3.7m) of Pinco's UI broke all your wonderful menu icons Dermott... :(

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

*sigh* I still haven't caught up with all the other ones yet to break the ones that re done!

I'll see what I can do.

I've definitely learned to keep at least 2 copies of Pinco's UI in my userinterface folder because of how quickly he's been updating and changing things.

Edit: The menu icons are fine, you have to make certain that every time you update Pinco's UI that you then reinstall the texture pack after it, or delete the entirety of the old UI, reinstall Pinco's then reinstall the texture pack.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Well take heart. He is slowing down with the new versions. There will come a point where there won't be a whole lot more for him to do other than compatibility fixes for new versions of the client.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well take heart. He is slowing down with the new versions. There will come a point where there won't be a whole lot more for him to do other than compatibility fixes for new versions of the client.
yes, structurally we are good now, maybe there will be more options to the user settings or more icons, but actually we are fine enough... other things to do are to add more item informations, keep the creatures db updated and obviously keep fixing bugs and update to the new client versions. :)

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Nevermind... I thought you meant a new version had been posted. That's ok, still good to see that this is progressing. :)

Merion

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good to hear - since pinco played with the paperdoll, there are some probs there.

tumbs up for the two lumps avator, btw

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Big update! With luck I should have version 2.0 ready either today or tomorrow for Pinco to approve!

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

It's going to be a little bigger than I thought, but if I take everything one UI element at a time, I SHOULD be able to get it knocked out before the end of tonight. So far everything is looking good. There are a few issues in some locations, but like I said... one piece at a time... right now getting the new paperdoll set up.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

No, this one isn't using DFMod... I ran into an issue in how he does the borders for the default window that was not compatible with Third Dawn, so I stuck with the current system. Just have to install Pinco's UI, then copy Third Dawn into Pinco's UI allowing it to overwrite any files.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
approved and ready for download :)

you could also upload a package for icons only (on the iconpacks category), in this manner people will be able to mix the interfaces ;)

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Nice job Dermott. Thank you very much.

G

gramarye

I just wanted to say thanks for this. I love it and appreciate all the work that must have gone into producing this pack.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Third Dawn Texture Pack 2.1 uploaded to Pinco's site for approval. Currently compatible with 4.1i.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I think this shows most of the features.

Hannes Erich

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Okay, was hesitant to install any kind of texture pack over Pinco's UI. But after looking at that screenshot and wanting an even more classic feel, I took the plunge. And I have one thing to say. You, Dermott of LS, are a GENIUS.

I'd like to compliment certain things, but the list would be too long. All the gumps, menus, hotbars and buttons look fantastic. All the function of Pinco's UI, with even more old-school Ultima charm. It feels very much like an "evolved classic client". Congratulations on a job well done. :)

G

gramarye

Umm... how do I hide the hotbar handle as in the graphic above. Thanks.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Umm... how do I hide the hotbar handle as in the graphic above. Thanks.
right click on the bar, choose 'lock hotbar' :)
But I'll tell you a little something. If you use the smart hotbar system, the option is there under Pinco's UI options, the hotbar icons won't shift when you lock them. If you don't use the smart hotbar system they will shift to the left the width of the hotbar handle. However, if you use the smart hotbar system you can't snug the icons up against the left side of the screen the way I have them.

Hannes Erich

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Below is a screenshot for those with widescreen monitors (1920x1080, 23"), which shows off the versatility of the EC. My layout is more open and streamlined, less cluttered than many layouts you may have already seen pictures of--with a fully expanded play window to take advantage of the panoramic resolution (perhaps a little borrowed sensibility from my Eve Online days). I used a command script to expand my play window to maximum resolution, and another command to remove its border (the Third Dawn texture package removes the border anyway). You may also notice there are no blurry trees and zero pixelation of my character. See the link in my signature.

Will post more screenies in Storm's new screenshots thread, tomorrow or the next day, showing various gumps and menus. Had them ready to post earlier but Stratics kept going down, now it's bed time. And FYI, I have the game's brightness level turned down some.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I'm having a problem with horrible lag when I try to open a container in grid view. This applies to my character's pack as well. I don't know if this is an issue with the client, Pinco's UI, or the texture pack.

I'm also having a problem with the list view not showing all items consistently. The problem specifically is that the right hand scroll bar doesn't show consistently even though there are items in the container that are not visible. This is both in the legacy enhanced container mode, and in the regular enhanced container mode.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I'm having a problem with horrible lag when I try to open a container in grid view. This applies to my character's pack as well. I don't know if this is an issue with the client, Pinco's UI, or the texture pack.

I'm also having a problem with the list view not showing all items consistently. The problem specifically is that the right hand scroll bar doesn't show consistently even though there are items in the container that are not visible. This is both in the legacy enhanced container mode, and in the regular enhanced container mode.
I've confirmed that these are problems with the UI or the texture pack. I'm in the process of reinstalling the UI without the texture pack to see if this is a problem with the texture pack or the UI.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter

I've confirmed that these are problems with the UI or the texture pack. I'm in the process of reinstalling the UI without the texture pack to see if this is a problem with the texture pack or the UI.
The problem with lag in the grid view is a problem with the Third Dawn texture pack, the problem with the list view is a problem with Pinco's UI.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I'll see if I can work with a new version of the XML file for containers and see if that helps. The lag I have always experienced when opening a container is when the container is VERY full and does not use sub-containers (i.e. my resource chest takes upwards of 10 seconds to load) and has been an issue for quite some time.

I will definitely look into it though.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
This isn't a normal lag like you would experience with a network issue, unless it was extremely severe, or the kind of loading lag you might get at a rune library, or in Luna. This a lag that verges on a complete lockup. It feels as though the code is caught in a closed loop trying to load something that isn't there.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

The whole game freezes until the container is loaded... yeah I'm aware of it... not sure why the texture package would be an issue though, and I'm sure it's been present since before Pinco's or Third Dawn... but like I said I'll check into it.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I don't have the issue with the default UI, or with just Pinco's with no texture pack loaded.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I've been playing with Third Dawn all week and outside of as I mentioned the completely full (without sub-container) bags, I have not experienced this issue with opening containers.

Still not entirely sure what's going on here.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter

I've been playing with Third Dawn all week and outside of as I mentioned the completely full (without sub-container) bags, I have not experienced this issue with opening containers.

Still not entirely sure what's going on here.
To recreate the problem:

- Make the "list view" default for both corpses and containers.
- Switch to the "classic" enhanced containers.
- Open a container in list view.
- Attempt to switch to grid view.