• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Thinking of changing my tamer template

SouthPaw

Lore Master
I currently have taming/lore/vet/magery/eval int/necro/spirit speak. It's a pretty tight template highly dependent on +skill items.

I have a bard who is also a necromage.

Thinking of changing my tamer to something like: taming/lore/vet/magery/meditation/spell weaving.

Would that make a good template? I've never used Spell weaving, but my understanding is it works very well with taming. Would be nice to have a full 120 skill template not dependent on +skill items.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I have 3 tamers, and the basic tame/lore/mage/med/eval/sw has the best survivability IMO. The dps is obviously lower than a necro tamer, but still good. I also run a tame/lore/mage/necro/ss/sw which makes a fun template, but you must always be in wraith for mana. The basic mage sw tamer is prob one of the best all around Temps (good for solo and groups). Gift of renew keeps pets topped off, with mage and consume as backup heals. The only reason I don't play it more is because I get bored with it, although never die.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
It's a difficult choice to make. Like you said, I have to run in wraith form the whole time, but can't ride pet while it's fighting anyways. The other day I was at the Litch spawn in SA and pet got surrounded and was taking a beating. I put on consume damage and my mana got drained fast, went near the mobs, 1 wither and I was at max mana; have to admit that's pretty awesome. Wither is great for the first few rounds of most spawns too.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
It's a difficult choice to make. Like you said, I have to run in wraith form the whole time, but can't ride pet while it's fighting anyways. The other day I was at the Litch spawn in SA and pet got surrounded and was taking a beating. I put on consume damage and my mana got drained fast, went near the mobs, 1 wither and I was at max mana; have to admit that's pretty awesome. Wither is great for the first few rounds of most spawns too.
Ya I love the dps my necro tamer brings, but damn it's nice to have mage/sw to stay alive on hard stuff. Depends on what your fighting I suppose.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
Ya I love the dps my necro tamer brings, but damn it's nice to have mage/sw to stay alive on hard stuff. Depends on what your fighting I suppose.
For sure...but I don't feel like making another tamer...but maybe I will..maybe on a different shard even.

Another template I think would be awesome, but tight on points and no vet:
*edit*
120 Taming
120 Lore
120 Music
120 Discord
120 Spellweaving
65 Magery, +15 ring, +15 bracelet, +11 on book for 106 total (100% circle 7)
55 Meditation, +15 ring, +15 bracelet =85

I love discord and it goes so nicely with taming, and still get the damage output from spell weaving too. Not sure if I would miss vet or if I would even need it. Anyone have a template like this?

Last edited:

Meat Elemental

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
For sure...but I don't feel like making another tamer.

Another template I think would be awesome, but tight on points and no vet:
120 Taming
120 Lore
120 music
120 discord
80 magery +26 items
80 meditation +30 items
80 spell weaving +30 items

I love discord and it goes so nicely with taming, and still get the damage output from spell weaving too. Not sure if I would miss vet or if I would even need it. Anyone have a template like this?
I have a similar template but I have discord and peace.. Love the peace masteries on pets

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

SouthPaw

Lore Master
I have a bard toon, and I wasn't quite happy with his template, so last night I used stones to transfer skills to an alt character. Going to turn my Bard into this:

120 Taming
120 Lore
120 Music
120 Discord,
120 Spellweaving (I have 120 provocation on stone; can make different combinations with discord/provocation/spellweaving using stones)
65 Magery, +15 ring, +15 bracelet, +11 on book for 106 total (100% circle 7)
55 Meditation, +15 ring, +15 bracelet =85

He already has 120 music/discord/provocation and the magery and meditation. I was able to stone over 75 taming/lore from another character I made a long time ago and wasn't using. Just need to work on taming and spellweaving. Not looking forward to the taming grind from 75-90, but at least that's only 15 points, could be a lot worse. I'm hoping spellweaving won't be too hard to raise.

Gardo

Journeyman
The following is one of my favorite builds. It requires a lot of items to attain 7x120 skills but is well worth the investment. The tamer only has a primer2, so no consume. (Not that I’d run it with only 90 taming.)

The Disco and Spellweaving combination kills stuff.

90 Taming (120 with items)
90 Lore (120 with items)
105 Vet (120 with items)
85 Magery (120 with items)
120 Spell Weaving
110 Music (120 with items)
120 Disco

ysolt

Seasoned Veteran
These are the Tamer template's i use.

120 tame
120 animal lore
120 mage
120 necro
120 spirit speak
120 spellweave
or
120 tame
120 lore
120 med
120 mage
120 eval
120 spellweave
or
120 mage
120 eval
120 lore
120 tame
120 vet
120 spellweave

all these template use's JOAT from being human to stay in wraith form(for mana drain) and use's as much sdi as possbile without sacrificing much on resist,usually i have over 100 sdi,and still can be around 65 in each elemental resist.

Last edited:

Gb8719

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
120: lore, taming, magery, SW

I have 3 soul stones designated to my tamer so I can swap in and out Music/Disco for Eval/Med.

My suit is 4/6, very high SDI and Mana Regen. I also carry Slayer books.

Swapping disco for magery gives me the flexibilty to support with Disco or DPS with magery. I opt for Disco when I’ll be healing more often to conserve mana.

I wasn’t a fan of Necro.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
The following is one of my favorite builds. It requires a lot of items to attain 7x120 skills but is well worth the investment. The tamer only has a primer2, so no consume. (Not that I’d run it with only 90 taming.)

The Disco and Spellweaving combination kills stuff.

90 Taming (120 with items)
90 Lore (120 with items)
105 Vet (120 with items)
85 Magery (120 with items)
120 Spell Weaving
110 Music (120 with items)
120 Disco
How do you handle mana regen with no meditation? I'm wondering with my template above if it would be better to take vet over meditation, but I'm also thinking if I want to run either taming mastery or discord/provocation masteries, I'm going to need meditation.

Mikeltin5

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Since we're on the topic of throwing out potential badass tamer templates...this is one I'm in the process of building and testing (designed for spawns)

110 taming
110 lore
120 throwing
120 ss
100 necro
100 tac
100 med (+40 skill)

Wraith form Levels 1 and 2 with wither (pack on the SDI and 50sdi invasion book) w/pet running around area effect hitting
Fly round w/whirlwind and area effect wep Levels 3 and 4 w/pet doing same ol same ol
Boss have pet tank while throwing overhead

Haven't ironed out the pet stats yet but it'll have to be pretty tanky and meaty since I won't have vet to sustain it's health.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
Since we're on the topic of throwing out potential badass tamer templates...this is one I'm in the process of building and testing (designed for spawns)

110 taming
110 lore
120 throwing
120 ss
100 necro
100 tac
100 med (+40 skill)

Wraith form Levels 1 and 2 with wither (pack on the SDI and 50sdi invasion book) w/pet running around area effect hitting
Fly round w/whirlwind and area effect wep Levels 3 and 4 w/pet doing same ol same ol
Boss have pet tank while throwing overhead

Haven't ironed out the pet stats yet but it'll have to be pretty tanky and meaty since I won't have vet to sustain it's health.
Only down side on that template is that you have no way to heal/cure/rez your pet. Good damage with necro and throwing though. Recommend a good pet with healing skill-that new one, Triton on the Test shard right now would be good if it is implemented on live servers as it is now-You can load it up with max HP and it has healing.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
What if you drop med for sw? Then u can heal pet a bit. You could probably wither all your mana back. Ive never tried a temp like this, so I have no idea.

Mikeltin5

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Only down side on that template is that you have no way to heal/cure/rez your pet. Good damage with necro and throwing though. Recommend a good pet with healing skill-that new one, Triton on the Test shard right now would be good if it is implemented on live servers as it is now-You can load it up with max HP and it has healing.
that's the plan is to get a pet (hopefully not a cu I see too many of them as is) to be able to heal itself or at least sustain itself to the end of the fight. haven't tested what would be the best option yet pet wise.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
What if you drop med for sw? Then u can heal pet a bit. You could probably wither all your mana back. Ive never tried a temp like this, so I have no idea.
I agree, you won't need meditation at spawns if you're running in wraith form-my main tamer is necromage with 0 meditation and nearly always topped off mana at spawns.

Instead of meditation you could take magery or spell weaving or vet. There's pro's/con's of each.

With magery you can heal/cure/rez pet and heal/cure yourself, also have the benefit of recall and gate spells.
With spell weaving you can heal and WoD stuff.
With vet you can heal/cure/rez pet.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
that's the plan is to get a pet (hopefully not a cu I see too many of them as is) to be able to heal itself or at least sustain itself to the end of the fight. haven't tested what would be the best option yet pet wise.
I made a bush/feint lesser with max hpr, does good dps and is still very tanky. Chiv/AI lessers do great too. I like lessers because they have lotsssss of points to work with.

Gardo

Journeyman
How do you handle mana regen with no meditation? I'm wondering with my template above if it would be better to take vet over meditation, but I'm also thinking if I want to run either taming mastery or discord/provocation masteries, I'm going to need meditation.
I maximize +mana, LMC and MR on my pieces and generally team with my wife’s bard while on this template. Pets deal most of the damage and I utilize vet skill for healing and curing and spam WoD as much as possible at the end. (For encounters that do not allow for close-up vetting, I do stone vet for meditation.)

Last edited:

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Another trick to help with mana management is Studded Leather, Hide, Bone, or Woodland Armor. Then you can get your LMC up to 55%. That's if you run with no Medatation. Also make sure the armor doesn't have mage armor property.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I currently have taming/lore/vet/magery/eval int/necro/spirit speak. It's a pretty tight template highly dependent on +skill items.

I have a bard who is also a necromage.

Thinking of changing my tamer to something like: taming/lore/vet/magery/meditation/spell weaving.

Would that make a good template? I've never used Spell weaving, but my understanding is it works very well with taming. Would be nice to have a full 120 skill template not dependent on +skill items.
I regularly use this template in a necro-tamer equivalent mode in spawns. If you don't just spam EoW non-stop but wait to gather enough mobs for it to be worth it, I don't see mana problems with 30 MR and 40 LMC.
Gift of Renewal is very useful in powering through incoming aggro if you don't one shot the whole screen.
I make heavy use of Soulstones (with all skills at 120) to adapt my template to the task at hand or my mood. So I have an option to use Taming/Lore/Vet/Mage/SS/Necro instead. I find that SW is both kills faster (due to EoW having something like triple the area of Wither, and due to WoD for the boss) and more survivable due to GoR and GoL.