• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Thinking about starting new religion based guild

Z

Zerric432

I've been tinkering with the idea of creating a religion based/RP guild on the Catskills server. The basic premise is that my character is from another land, and is bringing the religion to Sosaria. There are seven "deities" that the religion worships, and I'm in the process of writing stories about each of them. In addition, I was going to have my character hold weekly/bimonthly "masses" not only for guild members, but for any interested RPers. I was just wondering if there was any interest in this concept, or if it has been tried before in the past. I'd love some feedback from other RPers. Thanks!

G

Sounds interesting to me! I remember there used to be a religion based RP group on GL... They were a lot of fun. First Church of Britannia, I think? Anyway, they were gung-ho servants of the cloth. Definitely a missed element for me.

I

imported_GalenKnighthawke

<blockquote><hr>

I've been tinkering with the idea of creating a religion based/RP guild on the Catskills server. The basic premise is that my character is from another land, and is bringing the religion to Sosaria. There are seven "deities" that the religion worships, and I'm in the process of writing stories about each of them. In addition, I was going to have my character hold weekly/bimonthly "masses" not only for guild members, but for any interested RPers. I was just wondering if there was any interest in this concept, or if it has been tried before in the past. I'd love some feedback from other RPers. Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

On LS there is a Christian "church" in-game that meets periodically but I don't think it's RPed.

I RP Galen as a Christian, but purposefully leave vague how he even heard of Christianity.

I was on Europa for awhile, and after I left there was a Virtues-based religion called "The Avatari Faith" that was based on Ultima Lore, and modeled after the Inquisition era Roman Catholic Church. I never got to experience them, though. Just as well, would have caused my character to get way more involved than I wanted to be.

Go for it, dude. It's original enough to be original, and not so original that you'll be flying alone in the dark.

-Galen's player

G

Honestly, I say go for it!

You are certainly not the first person to make a religious-themed roleplaying guild. They have existed in several roleplaying communities, ranging from those who emulate or are based off real-life religions (there have been a few Judeo-Christian themed guilds on Baja and Lake Austin), to those based off fictional religions (there are several players who import themes or dieties from things like Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance).

In the end, it really depends on how you plan to implement it and make it work, but it could certainly turn into something neat once it progresses and develops. The one main thing that I would recommend, is to leave the power and existance of your deities relatively ambiguous and leave them outside of the world - you want it to develop into a belief system that defines the ways your characters think and interact with a world, but not something that is forced upon other peoples player-made lore and Ultima canon.