• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Thinking about returning

N

NAB1973

Hey everyone.

I played UO for a few years until Age of Shadows destroyed the game for me.
I went on to play SWG, WOW, Conan, etc but I am tired of those games.

My cousin convinced me to consider coming back to UO but I have a few questions.

Is it still impossible to find a place to put a house on this shard?
From what I read, it's still a populated server so that is a good thing, but I want to be able to have my own home.

I can barely remember how to play so it should be quite interesting if I choose to come back.

Any comments....good and bad...that you folks could offer me?

Thanks!

C

Cherry Delite

As long as you are not wanting a castle on day one, there are always places to put a nice modest sized house, say a 12 x 14 or so. If you are content with fel, even easier. If you are wanting a vendor house in Luna, impossible. There is a new chat system as well. You can always ask for Cherry Delite in general chat or Tatiana Thorn in general chat. I will gladly help how I can.

N

NAB1973

Thanks for your reply.

I'm not looking for a castle by any means but I can't even remember what the foot prints of the houses are. Is there any place here I could see these?

I used to have one of those small stone houses. I'm guessing that's a small footprint.

I was a Trammie in the past so, if possible, I'd like to stay on that side.

I will certainly look you up if I get in the game. Thanks again. :)

Lady_Rachel

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Welcome home Nab!

Always good to see a returning vet.
Like Cherry Delight said there are still spots about to squeeze a house into. Saw some spots around Yew Trammel just the other day in my wanders.

If you need help best to ask about in New Haven. Most folks start there and there are usually people around to answer any questions you might have.
May you have grand adventures!

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry... I had to laugh a little. I was playing back when the 9/11 lock up drove house prices into orbit. You will never have the problem of not being able to place your own small house for free.... even sandstone/log cabin sized houses.

In many ways... you will see a lot of stuff you could never get ahold of back then... and Atlantic may have the best community in the game, size... activity. Just stay away from laggy Luna and you'll be ok. :thumbup1:

Come on in... the water's just fine!

U

Uxoraz

I know of several 9x14 3 story house placements in Trammel. There is moderate spawn at most locations, but otherwise the locations are decent.

Jandruz

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A. You have to come back. I did a while back, and it's been so much fun.
B. House placement is not an issue. It's not like the old days where you couldn't take two steps without tripping over a house.

N

NAB1973

I renewed my account for 3 months. I was surprised to see my characters are all still there. My biggest surprise however, was that my small stone tower was not only still there....but was still mine!

I can barely figure out how to do anything these days but some stuff is coming back.

I wonder if my templates are still viable these days.

I have a Mage/Bard, Mage/Tamer, a Warrior and a Mule char.

Here are my old templates....they are not finished but this would be the end build once they were.

Mage/Bard
Str=100 Dex=20 Int=110
Magery 100
Meditation 100
Eval Intelligence 100
Resist Spells 100
Musicianship 100
Provocation 100
Wrestling 100

Mage/Tamer
Str=100 Dex=20 Int=110
Magery 100
Meditation 100
Eval Intelligence 100
Resist Spells 100
Animal Taming 100
Animal Lore 100
Veterinary 100

Warrior
Str=100 Dex=110 Int=20
Swordsmanship 100
Anatomy 100
Tactics 100
Lumberjacking 100 (for axe bonus if it still exists)
Healing 100
Parry 100
Focus 100 (this is the new skill that messed up my template)
Resist Spells and a little Magery was 100 pts before focus existed.
ie: 75 or 80 Resist and the rest in Magery so I could port.

Can anyone tell me if these are still decent and what I could change to make them better.

I haven't even got back into playing and I already feel welcome. Thanks!

Andrasta

Goodman's Rune Library
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Eeek! Don't get her riled! It'll be Hythloth runebook sets for me for sure :sad3:

D

Draken-Korin

Morgana stop the damn the sky is falling routine. Its true everything must come to an end at some point, might as well enjoy it while it lasts right? Get yer arse in the game and do what you told me you were planning on doing that day in icq.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
S

soulstoner

I renewed my account for 3 months. I was surprised to see my characters are all still there. My biggest surprise however, was that my small stone tower was not only still there....but was still mine!

I can barely figure out how to do anything these days but some stuff is coming back.

Here are my old templates....they are not finished but this would be the end build once they were.

Mage/Bard
Str=100 Dex=20 Int=110
Magery 100
Meditation 100
Eval Intelligence 100
Resist Spells 100
Musicianship 100
Provocation 100
Wrestling 100

Mage/Tamer
Str=100 Dex=20 Int=110
Magery 100
Meditation 100
Eval Intelligence 100
Resist Spells 100
Animal Taming 100
Animal Lore 100
Veterinary 100

Warrior
Str=100 Dex=110 Int=20
Swordsmanship 100
Anatomy 100
Tactics 100
Healing 100
Parry 100

Can anyone tell me if these are still decent and what I could change to make them better.

Welcome back !!

That's GREAT you still have a home :) ... So you are not shoeless and homeless sleeping on tavern benches. Your templates seem well in order especially with the upcoming luv for the Bard - you are ahead of many who may be taking that aspect up. Haftah get you out killing and looting to afford some skill scrolls to get you over the 100 mark and toward 110, 115 & 120 ... so there are fun workable goals for you to achieve but your base skills seem to be in order. Get you started on at least 105, 110 skill scrolls should be easy as they are cheap and sometime free laying about in New Haven or some have laying about at home in a forgotten chest.

If you are comfortable with - tell us your character names and we'll keep an eye out for you. Stratics forums & Guides along with UO Guide provide endless information of how to's and where to's.

Again welcome back - the game is gobs of fun with super people (imho) - but I avoid Luna bank scene as it's kinda weird and greedy imho - unless you are a wheeler-dealer sort. Shopping in Luna generally is like Rodeo Drive whereas there are same merchandise at a fraction of the price elsewhere in most instances but good place for window shopping to get ideas. For example I've seen things selling on Luna vendors for upwards of half mill whereas in some smaller village shops and casual acquaintance interactions there are FREE! or much more reasonable.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Morgana stop the damn the sky is falling routine. Its true everything must come to an end at some point, might as well enjoy it while it lasts right? Get yer arse in the game and do what you told me you were planning on doing that day in icq.
I am working on it...I'm just lazy.

D

Draken-Korin

Judging by the in depth posts and storylines you come up with lazy you are not.... more like misguided. *teases*

Lady Aalia

Atlantic's Finest
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
oh jeeez guys....

get a cave for crying out loud !

rolleyes:rolleyes:rolleyes:

Lady_Rachel

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
:eek:

But there might be spiders and such!!!
Ewww!

Nothing kills a moment like a spider down your back!

FireKitten

West Vesper Arena - Pit Mistress
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Mage/Bard
Str=100 Dex=20 Int=110
Magery 100
Meditation 100
Eval Intelligence 100
Resist Spells 100
Musicianship 100
Provocation 100
Wrestling 100

Mage/Tamer
Str=100 Dex=20 Int=110
Magery 100
Meditation 100
Eval Intelligence 100
Resist Spells 100
Animal Taming 100
Animal Lore 100
Veterinary 100

Warrior
Str=100 Dex=110 Int=20
Swordsmanship 100
Anatomy 100
Tactics 100
Healing 100
Parry 100

With a quick glance, I'd say your tamer might be the first i'd get the scrolls for as alot of the new pets require at least 105 to 110 to use. The cu's and greater dragons seem to be the favorites of late. 110 lore seems to do fine for the greater dragon.. 115 for taming.. .. with the cu u can go a lil lower on the taming. With jewels you should be able to acquire and use these pets while you work the skill. Welcome back and see you in game!

D

Draken-Korin

The only cave involved in any Morgana LeFay and Draken-Korin discussion would be the one I would wall her into if she continues to spend all her time posting about days gone by...oh and spiders neednt worry for there are no moments shared by Morgana and I that they would kill.

I believe most of the shard that knows either Tabitha or myself realizes we have shared a bond for a very long time now...if it was'nt known it is now.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

The only cave involved in any Morgana LeFay and Draken-Korin discussion would be the one I would wall her into if she continues to spend all her time posting about days gone by...oh and spiders neednt worry for there are no moments shared by Morgana and I that they would kill.

I believe most of the shard that knows either Tabitha or myself realizes we have shared a bond for a very long time now...if it was'nt known it is now.
Don't try to hide it Draken...they know about us :lol:

N

NAB1973

Thanks for the info.

I've heard some say that Resist Spells isn't necessary anymore and that it can be replaced by armor? Is this true?

FireKitten

West Vesper Arena - Pit Mistress
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the info.

I've heard some say that Resist Spells isn't necessary anymore and that it can be replaced by armor? Is this true?
I think you are confusing resist spells with resist armor wise... they are two different classes of thought. Resist spells has changed from the workings in the early days but it still quite useful in your template.. especially in a character that is going to take direct hits from your quarry.. In templates such as a non pvp tamer, or bard you can get away without it. Hope this helps in your decision and hope it sounded somewhat informative.

Lady_Rachel

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Some of the things that resist spells deflect can be avoided using different items now. Orange petals give you resistance to poisons, and enchanted apples will remove curses.

Depends on what your hunting as to if you will want resist spells I guess.

N

NAB1973

I'm pretty much a PvM kind of player so if it's possible to drop resist on these, then I might do that.

I appreciate the help. :)

S

soulstoner

I luv my Spell Resist on all chars and share my personal tid-bit take on it. Seems the monsters with the best loot and fame/karma/honor building toss alot of spells so the more I can resist the spells the better chance of survival and leaves healing efforts focused then toward the physical damage without the pesky spells. As a result I enjoy the benefits Knighthood of the virtue 'Sacrifice' in a pinch -- as well as 'Honor' being handy especially for a Tamer but also for warrior types. Then having high SR endures the offset of reduced skill using Protection [-25] (so as not to be interrupted) with mage chars. Having at least 90 on dexxer and 110 on mage saved my arse countless times. Here's a couple links to read up more on the spell resist topic & then some:

http://www.uoherald.com/guide/guide.php?guideId=96

http://uo.stratics.com/content/professions/mage/resist.shtml

In addition to having SR --- toting the orange petals to resist some of the weaker poison throwers and reduce the tick time on the heavier ones as Rachel had mentioned is super duper.

I always carry enchanted apples to quickly remove a schlew of spells in one fell swoop (keeping the little gump on displaying all spells on your character is helpful at all times) and the apples have a 14 sec timer. These handy little cute blue apples act pretty much the same as the Chivalry ability of:

‘Remove Curse’ which attempts to remove all Curse effects from Target. Curses include Mage spells such as Clumsy, Weaken, Feeblemind and Paralyze as well as all Necromancer curses. Chance of removing curse is affected by Caster's Karma. but in deep situations with a decent amount of Chiv skill one can be interrupted from using resulting in frustrating fails - the apples never fail - but again they have 14 sec. timer ibw.

The New Haven Spectral Spell Binders were a great training ground for SR.

Happy Day!

C

Caldwin_DDP

First of all, don't toss your skills. Use a soulstone to preserve then. For instance, save the lumberjacking on your warrior so you can put it onto a mule. Even if you don't have a character available to receive the skill keep it on a a stone. You might upgrade to a seven slot account later. If the regular soul stones are out of your price range, look around for the single use craftable sort. There's a lot of things to catch up on in the game but finding your way back to stratics is a big step in the right direction. Welcome back and I hope to see you in game soon!