• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

thing to keep away from modemn

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The handset( cradle) for your phone the thing needs to be 2 feet or more away from it. the handset( cradle) if to close to the modemn slows it down and lags your pc.

I moved everything away from the modemn like the printer computer anything that I think would int-fer with my connection.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
What's a modem?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/zoom-56...odem/8397923.p?id=1186004321251&skuId=8397923 It was kinda a neat little thing compared to the old ones. I know your kidding (probably) but I actually bought one of these for our cottage. It didn't work very well cause there was a lot of noise on the phone line. Brought back a lot of memories. About 5 to 10 minutes for a page to load, about 25 minutes for like a facebook page. So we ended up getting Charter, they're the only cable company up there.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
LOL, yeah kidding, I started UO on a Pentium with 56k. Today I think back, and wonder how the hell we ever played. Was really funny tho I played, the wife played, Phone man thought we were crazy with 3 lines in the house...

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
LOL, yeah kidding, I started UO on a Pentium with 56k. Today I think back, and wonder how the hell we ever played. Was really funny tho I played, the wife played, Phone man thought we were crazy with 3 lines in the house...
Ahhh back when UO started AOL was the king of gaming. Gaming on AOL cost like 3 to 6 bucks an hour to play. I could afford maybe 20 bucks a week so I'd play maybe 3 hours on Friday night and 3 hours on Saturday night then I'd have to wait another week. My modems went from a 14.4k, 28.8k, then I think 56k. I loved that connection noise, was never 100% sure it would connect, usually did. My first puter was a gaming pentium type. 75 mhz with a one gig hard drive. Latest top of the line, cost over 2 grand with the monitor. Actually was running Windows 95 and not that crappy Windows 3.1 or whatever it was my friends had, lol. But then as time goes on I had to up grade to stay current. Got a 200 mhz with 3 one gig hard drives. A person could never ever possibly fill up 3 gigs. So then we had 2 computers so we got the extra phone line too. The kids used the old one and I ruled with the new one. The kids were suppose to switch off every hour, major fights over that. Man had gone to the moon with a fraction of what we were running! I remember the phone company predicting that soon there would not be anymore available numbers. They would need to add digits to the phone numbers and the entire infrastructure would need to be rebuilt...

Gidge

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ahhh back when UO started AOL was the king of gaming. Gaming on AOL cost like 3 to 6 bucks an hour to play.
Did you play NeverWinter Nights on there?!?? That was my first MMORPG hehe. :)

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Did you play NeverWinter Nights on there?!?? That was my first MMORPG hehe. :)
I remember the game but didn't play. Before UO I was into Air Warrior and Legends of Kesmai. Especially after Gamestorm came out and you could play all you wanted for like 10 bucks a month. I was in heaven. Didn't really get into UO much (it was soooo buggy especially in the beginning) until EA bought Gamestorm and shut it down. I was pissed about that for a long time. There's a really nice recreation of Legends of Kesmai out there but the guy doesn't allow PvP, while LoK wasn't really a PvP game so much, the game really lost all it's luster with that part pulled out of it.