• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Thieves Code

Shh!

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just wanted to post this as there seems to be quite a few new "thieves" around town.

The Code
Rules of Ethics for Thieves :

Any thief that violates these sacred rules forfeits their right to be covered by these rules and becomes KOS/SOS to all of our brethren.

1. Thou shalt not steal from or loot fellow thieves.
2. Thou shalt not purposely reveal fellow thieves.
3. Thou shalt not identify disguised thieves.
4. Thou shalt not kill fellow thieves.
5. Thou shalt not follow fellow thieves around telling people that they are thieves.
6. Thou shalt offer aid and comfort to fellow thieves when possible.
7. Thou shalt not ask stupid questions that are thoroughly covered in the FAQ.
8. Thou shalt check the forum to see if thine question as already been answered.
9. Thou shalt retain a sense of humor.
10. Thou shalt not call thy self a thief if thou hast not stolen from thine fellow player.
11. Thou shalt remember that thine profession is spelled thief and not theif.

O

Ole Cheapy

Thank for for this post, I will now go create me a thief char and "thou shall not follow and of these codes of ethics". In fact, thou will intentionally break every single one of them. Now just FYI....

There is no honor among real thieves.

Shh!

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank for for this post, I will now go create me a thief char and "thou shall not follow and of these codes of ethics". In fact, thou will intentionally break every single one of them. Now just FYI....

There is no honor among real thieves.
I would expect nothing less from someone of your caliber. This post was intended for those people that just don't know better and aren't complete reprobates so...not the majority.

O

Ole Cheapy

Don't mean to step on any toes here, it's just time this shard stopped holding hands and someone bring some real drama to this shard and i aim to do just that! For the sake of the shard of course.

D

Dirkdiggler

I don't think that Cheapsuit has no principles. Those who can aim for goals despite pressure to compromise their values deserve respect in my book. Just like rule #10 seems a little moot to me, at least if you spend 95% of your game time stealthed. Not much of my success comes from people not knowing im a thief. In fact your own title denotes you are a thief in game so I imagine you agree with me. Unless it is intended to be a "thief vs theif" kinda thing.

Shh!

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't think that Cheapsuit has no principles. Those who can aim for goals despite pressure to compromise their values deserve respect in my book. Just like rule #10 seems a little moot to me, at least if you spend 95% of your game time stealthed. Not much of my success comes from people not knowing im a thief. In fact your own title denotes you are a thief in game so I imagine you agree with me. Unless it is intended to be a "thief vs theif" kinda thing.
So, let me get this right: you respect people who strive towards the "goal" of having no principles? Why would you respect people who sink towards the lowest of human values? Isn't that the easiest thing to do? Seems people who strive to take the more difficult path deserve the respect, but that's just me.

As for rule #10, I think that's an argument for Rico but I wholeheartedly agree with it. Thieves steal from people. Treasure hunters steal from dungeons. Again, just me.

D

Dirkdiggler

I respect those who sink to the "lowest of human values" because whose to say my values are right? To each his own, the server would be less fun to me if it didn't have a few homicidal maniacs. And just because I don't choose to be that type of player doesn't mean that they are inferior in my eyes. Krystal's 10,000th kill count is a good example of something admirable to me even if I'm not a PKer. It's also a blast when Pola messes with me while i'm thieving even if he does break some of the thief code in the process.

Also thanks for clarifying #10, I initially thought it was in regards to concealing ones occupation.

T'Challa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Also thanks for clarifying #10, I initially thought it was in regards to concealing ones occupation.
Am I the only one that's aware that being a "true thief" means your profession *never* shows on your paperdoll, as designed by game mechanics?

Shh!

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Am I the only one that's aware that being a "true thief" means your profession *never* shows on your paperdoll, as designed by game mechanics?
That's true. If you ever show as a Grandmaster+ rogue, you aren't a thief.

Shh!

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I respect those who sink to the "lowest of human values" because whose to say my values are right? To each his own, the server would be less fun to me if it didn't have a few homicidal maniacs. And just because I don't choose to be that type of player doesn't mean that they are inferior in my eyes. Kat's 10,000th kill count is a good example of something admirable to me even if I'm not a PKer. It's also a blast when Pola messes with me while i'm thieving even if he does break some of the thief code in the process.

If I bought into the "to each his own" philosophy, I'd still not commend others for taking the easy route. Sure, they'd have every right to but I wouldn't honor their taking the easy way out. Look, everyone is free to play their game however they want. However, to be part of the "clan of thieves" you must follow the code. If you wish to be a "rogue rogue" then there are consequences that may follow, that's all.

And just an FYI, it was Krystal who got the 10,000th kill. I'm sure you knew that but I don't want her mad at me for your mis-statement :thumbsup:

F

Feyre

That's true. If you ever show as a Grandmaster+ rogue, you aren't a thief.
Thats very true a real thief has shadow dancers and burglers bandanas so he dont need gm steals/snoops.

OldAsTheHills

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just wanted to post this as there seems to be quite a few new "thieves" around town.

The Code
Rules of Ethics for Thieves :

Any thief that violates these sacred rules forfeits their right to be covered by these rules and becomes KOS/SOS to all of our brethren.

1. Thou shalt not steal from or loot fellow thieves.
2. Thou shalt not purposely reveal fellow thieves.
3. Thou shalt not identify disguised thieves.
4. Thou shalt not kill fellow thieves.
5. Thou shalt not follow fellow thieves around telling people that they are thieves.
6. Thou shalt offer aid and comfort to fellow thieves when possible.
7. Thou shalt not ask stupid questions that are thoroughly covered in the FAQ.
8. Thou shalt check the forum to see if thine question as already been answered.
9. Thou shalt retain a sense of humor.
10. Thou shalt not call thy self a thief if thou hast not stolen from thine fellow player.
11. Thou shalt remember that thine profession is spelled thief and not theif.
I always like looking at a flawed set of rules of conduct.

1. If you steal from or loot from someone then how you know that person
is not a thief?
2. There are lots of people who reveal me when I am in stealth mode or just
hidden, but unless they have Tracking... they could not know I am not a thief.
3. Disguised thieves! What is that? Is that like a disguised murderer?
4. Gee whiz... I probably the only person on Siege Perilous who does not kill thieves.
5. Who does that? Meaningless rule...It does not take me long to figure who
could be a thief... I just treat everyone who could be a thief as if they were one.
6. Sounds like they should all be in a guild...oh, they are!
7. Well, thieves do ask such questions to the thief's mark so that that thief
can snoopy and steal in play...never expose your character to this Forum is better.
8. DUH!
9. Bullocks to that.... this is Siege Perilous.
10. Thou shalt not call thy self a thief, period!
11. Shrugs.

I know you mean well...

*stares*
Yahaxithonix

Shh!

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I always like looking at a flawed set of rules of conduct.

1. If you steal from or loot from someone then how you know that person
is not a thief?
2. There are lots of people who reveal me when I am in stealth mode or just
hidden, but unless they have Tracking... they could not know I am not a thief.
3. Disguised thieves! What is that? Is that like a disguised murderer?
4. Gee whiz... I probably the only person on Siege Perilous who does not kill thieves.
5. Who does that? Meaningless rule...It does not take me long to figure who
could be a thief... I just treat everyone who could be a thief as if they were one.
6. Sounds like they should all be in a guild...oh, they are!
7. Well, thieves do ask such questions to the thief's mark so that that thief
can snoopy and steal in play...never expose your character to this Forum is better.
8. DUH!
9. Bullocks to that.... this is Siege Perilous.
10. Thou shalt not call thy self a thief, period!
11. Shrugs.

I know you mean well...

*stares*
Yahaxithonix
It's not a code I made up, it's THE code. I, along with some other thieves, choose to follow THE code. If you don't, fine. It's easier that way and I understand most people like to take the easy way out. Just trying to bring some honor to the honorless.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Read it carefully and I bet you could make a fairly accurate guess at who *did* write it. Number 11 is a clue, and I'll be very surprised if I've guessed wrong on this.

B

Black magick

Probably have it right, and many thieves have endorsed and follow the code.

O

Ole Cheapy

It's not a code I made up, it's THE code. I, along with some other thieves, choose to follow THE code. If you don't, fine. It's easier that way and I understand most people like to take the easy way out. Just trying to bring some honor to the honorless.
This shard doesn't need honor, look around you man, we need DRAMA not honor!

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Read it carefully and I bet you could make a fairly accurate guess at who *did* write it. Number 11 is a clue, and I'll be very surprised if I've guessed wrong on this.
Yeah yeah yeah, I know, I bumped an old thread. I figured it would be better than creating one from scratch.

That being said...this list was created by the old guard here at Stratics. Not sure how many of you actually spent time on the Thief forum but this was the premier forum and most active. This list was generated by forum members and voted on by the rest of us. This list probably dates back to the 2002 time frame.

If I recall, the mods of that forum were Crazy Joe and Chaotic Jelly...la

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The funny thing is that THIEF is actually a new guild relative to Siege history. I remember the years that the THIEF guild house was actually the PAG guild house...la