• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Thieves, Classics, PvPers, Siege: UO Strike

S

Shinobi

NOTE: If you do not fall into the above categories in any way, then you have no reason to post here. Please refrain from posting your opinions on why a strike is a bad idea. This thread is pro-strike, make an anti-thread if you must state your opinion, please.

I'm personally sick of the updates and such benefiting everyone but us. I posted the following on Cal's little video announcement thread. Please read it in full and let me know if you're with me:

Was the outcome perfect? Not in the least, but just because YOU feel like it was a slap in the face, doesn't mean all pre-Tram UO players feel the same way.

-signed a UO player since Jan 1998
Why couldn't this type of opinion been applied to a classic shard? Like others said, it was easily done on player servers, but the entire dev team couldn't figure out a way to please the majority of pro-classic players.

I am not hardcore pro-classic shard, but I see why they're pissed. You say "the verdict on the classic shard", then say "not right now"? "Maybe" isn't a verdict.

Judge: "Jury, have you reached a verdict?"

Jury: "Ehhh..."

A classic shard will take away from other shards? Oh, God forbid you don't slap a new color and title on an old item graphic and spoon feed it to the rares community as a "new" item, so they can turn around and sell it for $500 to some moron who will cry that they lost $500 when this crappy item gets stolen. UO is now nothing but a damn chatroom with customizable avatars.

The only thing original in UO is the relationship between enemies in PvP. The actual hate two players can have for each other. Online friendships are easily faked, but the rivalry is real. PvP is ruined due to (among other things) the flood of artifacts into UO. Don't get me started on imbueing either. What's coming out soon? More armor sets? Wow keep the flood coming. Stop releasing more items into UO, it is all ya'll do and it's ruining UO. So yes, let's say "no" to a classic shard for now so we can focus on ruining UO's economy and gameplay even more.

I was quitting UO, then got reeled back in by High Seas. What happened? Ya'll made ship PvP impossible due to saltpeter. But wait, there's still the Whale! Described as a "housing option" on water, SURELY this will be cool. What's that? It isn't multiple decks, and just takes up your whole screen and has a larger hold? The only way to reasonably obtain this is by purchasing it from you? Oh boy, sign me up!

Sorry about the rant, but a classic shard would have been a much better endeavor than new pixels. And now Magicinia is being converted into another bank sitting option? Pathetic.

I hardly log on anymore, and I'm on my last ounce of interest in this game. I propose a mass account cancellation if one of the following doesn't happen VERY soon:

1. An update to throw a bone to thieves (a fairly LARGE bone, that is).

2. A massive fix to PvP.

3. Anything to help Siege (I personally refuse to play Siege, but I think it's disgusting how much they're ignored).

4. ANY FORM of a pre-AoS shard.

Help someone other than Trammel, and the Rares Community's rl pockets, or I'm done.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why couldn't this type of opinion been applied to a classic shard? Like others said, it was easily done on player servers, but the entire dev team couldn't figure out a way to please the majority of pro-classic players.
I think that is not correct. Some very dedicated people put A LOT of time into building and maintaining player servers. I know that very well, having done some work in that field myself. Don't ever say it is easily done.

Thus I understand the decision to not pull away resources from current UO. However, I very much miss a decision about what's going to happen to current UO, and if it will remain that boring item-based candy land that it is today.

S

Shinobi

I think that is not correct. Some very dedicated people put A LOT of time into building and maintaining player servers. I know that very well, having done some work in that field myself. Don't ever say it is easily done.
My bad, wrong choice of words. I meant that the players worked on it to make a place for others like themselves and succeeded, while they have a paid team of "professionals" that can't figure something out? It's pathetic.

Symma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I won't close my account, but I'm still pissed about no word of Siege. And Cal's comments about why they won't do a classic shard doesn't fill me with hope for Siege.

It annoys me, as sometime ago we had a meeting on Siege where Cal and Mesanna (crowd control she was) turned. They listened, made plenty of empty (we'll look at Siege after the current Dev cycle.... blah blah) promises and left.

All we got was a removal of the daily skill gain cap. Which was nice, but other simple things were asked for. Like reducing the silver cost of faction arties.

I never PvP but I understand that part of the game is pretty broke. And for some players its the main reason they stayed on siege. I just hate to see anyone get ignored.

Siege isn't just about PvP. We've had many wonderful communities over the years.

But alas, Siege is the [censored] child no one wants anymore.

I won't close my account in protest, as I don't think EA would give a ****, so I guess I just have to keep spamming the developers with complaints lol

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would think that them not doing a classic shard would be good news for Siege. It means them not putting their time into a new shard with different rules and leaving more time devoted elsewhere, elsewhere meaning they would likely put some of that time into Siege.

B

Beer_Cayse

I understand EA reluctance to try a classic shard. Saying that I beat them to the punch - my accounts were all canceled by last November. I am playing on 2 PRS shards and both are Pre-AOS - one even disallows all macroing except by the client! Kewl!

I have already walked with my wallet. You are free to join me if you wish.

Symma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would think that them not doing a classic shard would be good news for Siege. It means them not putting their time into a new shard with different rules and leaving more time devoted elsewhere, elsewhere meaning they would likely put some of that time into Siege.
You would think I would be happy. But I know it'll just be empty promises of "After the next DEV cycle".

We had Cal say that ages ago on our Shard in a meeting. Still nothing.

G

grig_since98

I'm definitely in the anti classic shard camp, but I agree completely that A. Thieves need a very large bone thrown their way B. Items need to be coming out of the economy by limiting insurance. I think something like siege bless would be a good thing to implement on the standard shards.

I really would like to try a thief character, but it seems that insurance is going to make that very difficult. How is it that ganking someone is an acceptable play style in Fel, but using stealth to surreptitiously take items from another player ( rather than from their corpse or insurance gold) is untenable? Why shouldn't thievery be a valid PvP play style?

W

Woodsman

Items need to be coming out of the economy by limiting insurance. I think something like siege bless would be a good thing to implement on the standard shards.
I can't imagine the amount of people who would scream bloody murder over that (although I agree).

Another thing I'd like brought over is, although I haven't checked lately, the NPCs not buying from players. Perhaps buying at drastically reduced rates would be better for non-Siege shards. If you could cut down on duping, something like reducing the amount of gold entering the game through NPCs buying from players would start to get the economies back into a more reasonable shape.

Money legally really only enters the game two ways - monster loot and NPCs buying from players. A lot of the scripters are going after resources they can steadily script and sell to NPCs to generate gold to sell to players for real-life cash.

If you could cut down on duping and cut down on the ease at which the scripters could generate in-game gold, it would definitely go along way towards bringing things back into check. Gold sinks will never do that - any gold they remove from the economy can easily be regenerated fairly quickly. If you don't slow down the amount of gold entering the economy, you're gonna have crazy prices.

It really changes a lot of things for new characters when you can't just pick up discarded armor and weapons and sell them to NPCs. It forces you into interaction with other players - I don't know the details of the economy on Siege these days, but back when I played a lot, people gathering resources to sell directly to other players was common. It really made you interact with other people and made you feel a part of things. On a regular shard, a new player might sell junk armor and weapons to NPCs for gold - on Siege, I would seek out new players and tell them to gather that stuff up or mine iron or whatever,and sell it to me so I could melt it down, or do this, that, or the other. There was an incentive for new players to seek out people like me willing to pay them, and an incentive for me to seek out new players to buy things from them that I could use or re-use. I smelted a lot of ringmail tunics in my time.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

I will say this however, this no need for a "strike". Ultima Online is not a job, a career...it's a game, an entertainment device. If you were a Netflix subscriber, for example, and you loved westerns, and Netflix suddenly stopped streaming/renting westerns...what would you do? Would you "strike"? No. You would just cancel your account.

Don't "strike"...just cancel your account. If the Classic Shard customers are not important, and there are not enough of us to make a difference, then EA/Mythic and the current playerbase will never miss those dollars one bit...right?

ohmyGED

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The only thing original in UO is the relationship between enemies in PvP. The actual hate two players can have for each other. Online friendships are easily faked, but the rivalry is real.

This.

The game is 14 years old. Of course it is going to be different....for better and for worse. I've adapated over time....but if you gave me the option to play pre-AoS now....I really don't know how I would feel due to what is happening now.

I would probably still love it, if it is active, and like minded players out there.

But, at the same toke, all of the personalities involved would be very similar, those who enjoy PvP, Thieves, Fel Ruleset.....it's not like you will be finding many unsuspecting players out there to take advantage of...

I haven't tried free shards, but I hear a lot of them have a large player base with pre-AoS ruleset. I'd try that out and see what you think.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Also, and this will likely be the last thing I have to say on the subject, at least for now...

...but if I were a Siege player (which I was at one point), I would be both happy and very concerned by the fact that the Classic Shard is not being done.

Happy...because it means that at least the remaining few people that play the shard will not abandon it for a Classic Shard.

Concerned...because the underlying message is 'we do not have the resources to support multiple rulesets...we want to concentrate on making the bulk of the customer base as happy as possible'. Guess what...you guys are on a shard that runs on a different ruleset, and you don't make up the bulk of the customer base.

Long story short...yes, not getting a classic shard has helped the Siege population, but the stated reason implies that you will see little, if any, further development for the shard.

Regards,

Morgana LeFay

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You would think I would be happy. But I know it'll just be empty promises of "After the next DEV cycle".

We had Cal say that ages ago on our Shard in a meeting. Still nothing.
I believe it was in April or so last year. So almost a year has gone by now and zero dev time has been invested in Siege... :(