• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Thievery: A Short History Lesson

Chad Sexington

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thievery: A Short History Lesson

by Chad Sexington

Once upon a time, in a time and place that seems so long ago, there was turmoil. There was no Trammel, there was no Felucca, there was only Britainnia. In the beginning you could be freely attacked without the luxury of popping back into the non-consentual lands after a steal. In the beginning there was the safety of an extra set of eyeballs and the thief standing next to you, watching your back.

In the beginning, people complained about the thieves and their cowardly ways because they didn't understand the risk. They only spotted the thief for a few brief seconds and then he was gone... or dead. They did not understand that the thief only had the upper hand leading up to, during, and immediately after the theft. They did not understand that the thief only enjoyed this moment of glory for moment... and then it was gone.

They did not understand that they were the hunters and the thieves were the hunted. They let the thieves pull the wool over their eyes, looked straight into the smoke and mirrors, and didn't understand that they had the upper hand every moment of every day when the thief was not actively engaged in a theft.

In the beginning, when The Hunt, The Theft, and The Chase were over, the hiding began. Back to the shadows, they were banished... until the hunt began again.

In the beginning, things were good.

Those days are long gone.

Today's UO has animal form, shadow jump, smoke bombs, ethereal steeds and chargers of the fallen for all! In today's UO, a thief can engage in The Hunt, The Theft, and The Chase, and stray away from the shadows and pop back into Trammel!

"Off with his head!" they'd say.

"Off with his head!" they received.

:sad4:

Thread by some guy on UHall.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah, I never had stealth back in the day. Not until ethies were available. Was funny though, I had 30 taming on my thief so I could tame a new horsie every time the meanies killed mine...la

S

ShadowJack

I never learned stealthing until I started house camping for idocs and unlocked chests

*to the nay sayers, this has nothing to do with the stealing skill*

It was pretty fun. That passive detect should go.

S

ShadowJack

moving all of those skills and gamestyles to sp is just another step towards killing it.

it needs to be an active part of the game so that people will be more likely to interact with it

I'm waiting to see the shock at sheild stealing.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh, if it is allowed to stay, the parry/mages will be up in arms. You can see it starting already over on UHall. I'm just glad i was able to test it out last night. The guy I stole it from was like...WTH???, How'd you do that. I saw him later with another shield without the Siege blessing on it, so I'm sure he's over it...la

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In the belief that for a thing to improve, a proper perspective that thing needs to be had.

An Alternate, and less Romantic History of Thieves in UO.

In the beginning, there were people with nothing on them hanging around the banks of the towns.

There was always a second person with them.

These people would steal something of value from a player, even if that player was hidden (target based on speech, that yeah was inconsistent with being hidden, but it was the rule of the day).

If they did not get caught, they yelled bank and stuffed the item in the bank and rinsed and repeated.

If they did get caught and was guard whacked, then the 2nd player quickly looted the corpse and banked the item at his leisure.

This was so rampant that no one could do any banking. These players were not flagged as they had not committed an offense.

If one ignores the real reason why a thing is were it is, then one makes the task of improving the thing that much more difficult.

It will do no good, if people say that is not me personaly. As every thing about MMORPG's, the very very very few can ruin it for all the rest.

S

ShadowJack

You're right. I think maybe if the whole insurance thing in fel pans out, then maybe GZ stealing will be an auto guardwhack with legendary skill in stealing giving a 33 % chance of success.

Or let the factions determine the towns. I'd make a faction char just to keep stealing in hotspots. It'd push factions too.

This is a damn good idea all around, just gotta tweak it so the past problems don't cause it to get nerfed again.

R

Robthemilt

Chad i just put your post in a book form it'll be in my library on ATL. If anyone has similar stuff to this I'm looking for stories and history for my library, just post em with the Original author if possible.