• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Thief Template - help

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
I'm looking to build a thief but am a bit lost in what skill to have and how much to have in each.

I have read this post by @Drk and it gave me some ideas, however my play stile will be very different hence my need for help.

The plan for me would be to get stealables and arties in dungeons, etc, I'm not into PvP.

Can anyone please recommend some templates so I can think about it and decide what to do?

For the core skills I'm thinking of something along the lines of:
  • Stealing
  • Snooping
  • Stealth
  • Hiding
  • Magery
  • Ninjitsu
Which ones are worth taking to 120? Magery probably just 100 is fine, right? Just need it to mark, recall, cast invisibility I think.

Thanks

Last edited:

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If it's just dungeon stealing like the stealables in doom and the abyss etc you only really need stealing. This can easily be taken to 120 with jewels and arties. You don't really need real skill.

Hiding
Stealth
Magery (recall, mark, invis, heal etc)
Stealing
Detect hidden possibly.

Snooping is only really needed to steal from players as you can look into their backpacks.

When i tried dungeon stealing I would stealth to the item. Steal it, Mage invis right after I took it then stealth away.

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Thanks again for the input @DJAd you always seem to come to the rescue.

So Snooping is probably out of the picture.
Detect Hidden will be for the traps as I understand, but have you ever used it when you were stealing arties?
Would Lock picking be of any use here?

Seems like I still have quite a few skill points to use somewhere. Suggestions?

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Wait on second thought what would be a good template to do Dungeon Stealing and Stealing from Players? While avoiding any possible confrontation.

I'd need Snooping, Ninjitsu and Wrestle as well, right?

Hiding
Stealth
Snooping
Stealing
Magery
Ninjitsu (for the escape if found?)
Wrestle (Stun/disarm and escape?)

Are dungeon chests worth it? Do I need lock picking?

What stats should I have for all of this? Str + Int will be the important ones, right? Don't really need Dex?

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Detect hidden would mainly be used to detect some of the hidden chests down in Exodus dungeon for example. You don't need it for normal dungeon stealables.

Lockpicking would be for the chests you see around in dungeons etc (crap loot).

The stealables that spawn in the dungeons (see here: http://www.uoguide.com/Category:Artifacts_(Stealable) can be taken with only stealing, no other skills are required.

Stealing from players will require snooping and some way to escape. Lets say for example you camp a champion spawn and decide to try and steal a scroll. If you are successful it will reveal you. Maybe ninja (for smoke bombs) would be useful here.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My thief has stealing/hiding/stealth/detect hidden/lockpick/snooping and what points were left in magery. This allows her to steal all the artifacts she can find, steal balms and lotions from monsters, find and open hidden boxes in Exodus and steal from Exodus zealots. She can also, when in vvv, steal sigils, but if anyone spots her she has no defence and dies. There are videos of her stealing from monsters and in Exodus dungeon.

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
My thief has stealing/hiding/stealth/detect hidden/lockpick/snooping and what points were left in magery. This allows her to steal all the artifacts she can find, steal balms and lotions from monsters, find and open hidden boxes in Exodus and steal from Exodus zealots. She can also, when in vvv, steal sigils, but if anyone spots her she has no defence and dies. There are videos of her stealing from monsters and in Exodus dungeon.
That's really nice Petra, what stats do you have?
And what artifacts are you wearing? How much real skill? Or you just have Stealing and Stealth to 120 and GM the rest, except magery?

Can you redirect me to some of those videos, I'd really like to see them :)
EDIT: found them already ;)

Last edited:

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
k, real skills are GM on everything but stealing, which is 120.
Treatise on Alchemy tali from the library takes magery to 105 and when I need to be sure of casting a summons I pick up tome of lost knowledge, taking it to 120.
Suit includes Blackthorn's plain dress with +10 stealth the etoile & novo bleue jewellery set , rest of suit is either imbued or reforged and imbued.
resists are 70/70/70/64/70 other stats are 14 HPR - which is boosted by a shield and dagger to 22 when I need to recover health while staying hidden. 1330 luck 100 lrc.
I have no lmc and only 5 MR, I don't do much casting, and never for a prolonged period.

I also have stashed in my pack insured shadow dancer leggings, but that's just so I can safely get to the bank when in stat loss from dying in vvv. I happened to have them, so I use them. My keg of stat loss removal potion is in the bank :D When I equip those the same macro equips a mana phasing orb with lrc since I lose the lrc on my normal leggings.

I have a somewhat under-used youtube channel for my few videos

The Shadow

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I

The plan for me would be to get stealables and arties in dungeons, etc, I'm not into PvP.

Thanks
I have 2 different thieves

On my account
Hiding 100
Stealing 100 +20 Shadow Dancer Legging
Stealth 100 +20 Shadow Dancer Legging
Ninjitsu 80 + 15 ring +15 bracelet (107-110 gives 100% chance to cast llama form) Use a Fukiya w/ Deadly Poison Darts & Blackthorn Ninja Belt Crimmy w/Deadly Poison Shurikens
Detect Hidden 100
Resist Spells 120 (for PvP/VvV)
Magery 100 (invis, mark, recall, telek)

Stoned: 100 lock for Exodus Keying (swap out Resist)
100 Snoop (not really used on my server,since most stuff is insured)

My wife's account
Hiding 100
Stealing 70 +20 Legging +10 Burglar's Bandanna +10 ring +10 bracelet
Stealth 40 +20 Legging +10 Bandanna +20 Investigator Cloak +10 Robe +10 ring +10 bracelet
Ninjitsu 90 +10 ring +10 bracelet (smoke bombs & invis pots)
Detect Hidden 100
Lock 90 +10 skeleton keys
Animal Taming 90 (2 pet summoning balls w/Bake Kitsune)
Animal Lore 90
Magery 50 (heal, gtr heal, recall)

Her leftover armor (gorget,tunic,arms,gloves) reforged with Arcane/Tower for LRC 25 & DCI 5 each piece total: LRC 100% DCI 20
(she doesn't have 70 resists or any great regens, but she doesn't need it. she enjoys playing it)
The last 2 space on both her jewelry are Faster Casting & +10 DCI

Her thief is mainly for stealables/Exodus chests. She doesn't like Fel at all.

I hope this helps you out on the versatility of what you can do with your thief.
Wish I had seen your post earlier, as you're probably done with it.

The Shadow

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
My wife's account
Hiding 100
Stealing 70 +20 Legging +10 Burglar's Bandanna +10 ring +10 bracelet
Stealth 40 +20 Legging +10 Bandanna +20 Investigator Cloak +10 Robe +10 ring +10 bracelet
Ninjitsu 90 +10 ring +10 bracelet (smoke bombs & invis pots)
Detect Hidden 100
Lock 90 +10 skeleton keys
Animal Taming 90 (2 pet summoning balls w/Bake Kitsune)
Animal Lore 90
Magery 50 (heal, gtr heal, recall)

Her leftover armor (gorget,tunic,arms,gloves) reforged with Arcane/Tower for LRC 25 & DCI 5 each piece total: LRC 100% DCI 20
(she doesn't have 70 resists or any great regens, but she doesn't need it. she enjoys playing it)
The last 2 space on both her jewelry are Faster Casting & +10 DCI
Also wanted to add that her thief is human, so she did the spellweaving quest. That way she can get an unskilled focus and use Attunement and Gift of Renewal for when she's in a pickle. (we do this with all our human characters)

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Thanks for the suggestion, it's never too late...it takes time to train as well ;)

I like your templates, but they need expensive stuff on them.
I have the burglar's bandana and I hope to be able to buy the Shadows Dancer Leggings if get the money for them from a sale.

Currently my template is the following:

Hiding 100
Stealth 90 +20 Legging +10 Burglar's Bandanna
Stealing 90 +20 Legging +10 Burglar's Bandanna
Snooping 90 +10 Burglar's Bandanna (not sure if I'll use it or not, but also haven't trained yet)
Detect hidden 100
Lockpicking 100
Ninjitsu 85 +Jewels
Magery 65 +Jewels

I guess it will also depend on what I want to do...if just steal stuff in dungeons or steal from players, but I don't know what I'll do for now.

EDIT: spellweaving quest...I'll have to look into that as it seems useful for any character from what you're saying.

The Shadow

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
EDIT: spellweaving quest...I'll have to look into that as it seems useful for any character from what you're saying.
As a human you have a race feature called Jack of All Trades which gives you 20% in all unskilled skills. So you do the spellweaving quest and you can cast Attunement/Immolating Weapon/Nature Fury/Gift of Renewal since they require 10% spellweaving to cast. You can get 4 other ppl who have 0% spellweaving at join you for an "Unskilled Focus at WBB" and you'll get a STR 5 gem

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
As a human you have a race feature called Jack of All Trades which gives you 20% in all unskilled skills. So you do the spellweaving quest and you can cast Attunement/Immolating Weapon/Nature Fury/Gift of Renewal since they require 10% spellweaving to cast. You can get 4 other ppl who have 0% spellweaving at join you for an "Unskilled Focus at WBB" and you'll get a STR 5 gem
By the way how's you get the +20 Investigator Cloak and that +10 Robe?

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
By the way how's you get the +20 Investigator Cloak and that +10 Robe?
I'm not sure you can still get the +10 robe in game so you would have to buy from a player.

The +20 cloak is a champion spawn drop.

Jinx

Visitor
Can anybody point me in the direction of a current method to train Detect Hidden? It doesn't appear that you can target the ground and detect the trap in chests, unless you have to be at a certain skill level before you're able to gain skill that way. Any help is greatly appreciated

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
I haven't trained that...let's see if someone else can give us some insight on it.