• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The Week After Release.

Skycapp

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So its officially been a full week since the end of head start and the game is running as live as it is ever going to get.

We have not yet reached that all important end of the 30 days included with the game when the first billing cycle begins, but that's another post.

So, I've thought about this pretty hard and I am officially declaring this the second best MMO launch of all time. The first still goes to Dark Age of Camelot(DAoC) which in my opinion was rock solid other then typical balance issues. Granted it was a much smaller release and the shear number of players that we are seeing in Warhammer makes DAoC look like a Console MMO, but that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

I was going to try to give a count on the number of fixes and updates in the past week, but in all honestly I lost count enough times that it is easier to just say "There were a lot of updates and fixes." For the most part the servers are stable. The client, except for a small percentage of people, is stable and running well. Career balance is close, but then you can never (in my opinion) get perfect class balance in an MMO. And, most importantly, after a week of playing Warhammer Online it is still fun.

The only complaint that I have is the same complaint that I have had since the day Warhammer Online was announced. I personally do not like the way Mythic approaches community management and never have. I could rant about this all day, but I will sum it up as this: The community team is great, but if you are not going to have official forums then you need to stay off of fan site forums and make all announcements and updates via the official site or the games patcher. Nothing pisses me off more then having to search 30 fan sites for an obscure post by one of the community team so that I can answer a simple question on another forum.

Ok, I got that out of my system. Back to sucking up!

Realm vs Realm is as compelling as I remember it being in DAoC and possibly even better. It will take a few weeks for the individual realm leaders to show themselves and take charge of the war, but I have already seen more RvR in the first week than I saw in the first six months of playing DAoC and that has to count for something.

Finally, crafting still feels a little tacked on to the end, but it is a good system and with a few tweaks could be a lot of fun for the crafting inclined. I look forward to playing with the system more. But, in all honesty, I would rather drive Stunties before a hoard of Greenskins and laugh as their blood boils in my stew pot.

So, what are your thoughts on the first full week of Warhammer Online?

Lady Aalia

Atlantic's Finest
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have tried so many diffrent games over the years, and so far there was only 3 that captured me so much that i would log in during the day when i was not playing with my hubby and lvl my own char.

One is UO
second was DAOC

and now WAR.

I am really enjoying it so far and OMG do i love the marked areas where you find your quest objectives on the map !! No more getting lost , yay :)

Now i just need to find me a nice guild and i am good to go

S

SWATJester

I'm enjoying War and Tabula Rasa about equally at the moment. Both give me different things that I want.

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Still enjoying the game. Juggling a few characters to work my crafting skills up. I'm intrigued by the crafting system. I don't know if I like it yet or not. It's different but mixes random with known outcomes. A good mix that I like.

RvR is where it's at. Best way to level up to 12 by all means. Problem is you can miss important gear and quests.

All in all I'm having run and don't forsee a problem paying for the next months sub cost. Have to see if there are suprises for us we didn't see in beta.

Skycapp

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What has really impressed me so far is Mythic's ability to fix bugs and improve things as they come up. I don't think anyone expects the game to be bug free this early in its life, but all the fixes and their willingness to fix them quickly gives me hope for the future.

At this rate by the end of the included 30 days and the beginning of the first billing cycle I suspect many of the bugs will be crushed and we will be left with some server side tweaks and those really persistent bugs that every developer takes months to figure out.