• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The Tower of 1000 Glaciel Staves

• Thread starter imported_Maelwyn
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
I

imported_Maelwyn

Well, I was a bit bored tonight. Decided to run into Britain and camp out at the bank for a while. As I was running across the bridge I noticed a pile of runes on the ground. I checked the label and it said something like "Tower with 1000 Glaciel Staves". I figured, Yah, right. Probably leads to some instant death room in a dungeon or something. So I ran on. Came to the bank and there was an individual, can't remember his name, opening gates to the same place. Well, like I said, I was bored. So, I threw a reactive armor on, and hopped into the gate. Lo and behold, it was a legitimate place. Not an intant death rune at all. I looked the place over and was amazed at all of the staves. The owner was there, one Jade (she's in the bottom floor in white), so I talked to her a bit. I asked her why she did this. She told me it was because UO has no goals, so she made her own. Took her about 6 months, 6 hours a day, to finally achieve her goal. I was very amazed and asked if I could post some pics on our board. She said sure. Oh, almost forgot. Jade is holding the 1000th staff in her hands. Unfortunately, I guess I didn't get the picture of her holding it.

If anyone would like to go to her tower, I have a rune locked down in my small tower just across the street from the Britain Moongate. Oh, and check out the very nice designs that she has made in her vendors.

Maelwyn

<center>

Maelwyn Mage and Dexer
Beldas & Beldin Dwarven Brothers
Erystelle Elvish Tamer
Gruumsh One-Eye Orc guy

And yes, I am a gay roleplayer. Just ask my wife.</center>

S

sse_goku

Whoa...Thats alot of glacial staffs..
How many lockdowns does a tower have anyways?

Tristan-Fencer of S*P
Masa-Smith/Miner/Tailor/Mage/Tinker/Typical mule
Mune-Scribe/Fisher/Alchemist/Cook/Poison dude
Sion/Sion Barzahd-Tamer
SSE GOKU- Swordsman

I

imported_Maelwyn

Towers have 2119. Jade told me how many she used. Most of them, I think. But I can't remember how many total. 999 for the staves of course.

Maelwyn

<center>

Maelwyn Mage and Dexer
Beldas & Beldin Dwarven Brothers
Erystelle Elvish Tamer
Gruumsh One-Eye Orc guy

And yes, I am a gay roleplayer. Just ask my wife.</center>

S

sse_goku

Thats just....too...many..staves...I'm still amazed

Tristan-Fencer of S*P
Masa-Smith/Miner/Tailor/Mage/Tinker/Typical mule
Mune-Scribe/Fisher/Alchemist/Cook/Poison dude
Sion/Sion Barzahd-Tamer
SSE GOKU- Swordsman

G

<font color=blue>Aye, I saw that house a good many months ago.

Didn't have THAT many staves, though. Jade's a great person. She told me she GM'd a bunch of mages and fighters in the ice dungeon and decided to grab all the staves she could while at it.

<font color=black>"You'll get your contract rates, or you'll get your contract cancelled. If you don't like it, then you can crawl back down that -hole that you came from."</font color=black>

D

DemanKnght

OMG, I am blind now all that bright blue, geez... well its great to see someone with a goal other than being the ubermule, or grandmaster ALL Kill sayer... congrats and man, I'd hate having to stumble on that one in the middle of pvping someone, yikes talk about stress fighting..

MooneyFodder
Sonoma

F

Faun(LS-TRAM)

I saw the gates to that...glad you posted it thou, I would never have survived the lag that would have caused me. I love some of those vendor bags...the serpent/dragon thingy is beautiful!

Drunken Dragon Vendors...Dragonfart & Voluptuous

F

Forge of DOG

I live next to the tower. Jade is the greatest. She is one of the reasons i play this game. It took her 6-months to complete this. It is truely wonderous.

D

Dor of Sonoma

Those vendor designs are absolutely stunning...particularly the Asian Dragon.

Absolutely amazing.

Thank you so much, Maelwyn, for posting these pictures.

Wow.

~Dor

<font color=blue>The Lone Ranger</font color=blue>
<font color=purple>Guildmaster,</font color=purple><font color=red>Sonoma War Games</font color=red>

I

Ian Nottingham

Aw, one of my personal favorite spots in the game has become a tourist attraction. Heehee. Ah well, it couldn't have happened to a nicer person. I met Lady Jade some time ago, out in the Ice Lands (where else?).

I had noticed that I was getting better-than average magery, meditation, and eval gains in the area, so I decided to hunt glacial staves while I drove towards GMing the skills. I came upon Lady Jade and her dragon, Jade, and we chatted for a while. And so it went every day, for weeks at a time. Every day I'd see her out hunting staves, her favorite item in the game. We became friends, and spent many many hours talking about everything in game and out. She has so many stories to tell of the old days of UO, back when she was one of the few tamers on the shard. She has one of the first, if not THE first Nightmare on the shard. She's led a very interesting in-game life, and is willing to tell of it to all who will listen.

As for her tower, my jaw hit the floor the first time I saw it too. Of course, there weren't nearly as many as there are now, but I was blown away all the same. I gave her a rune to my house (okay, it's not actually MY house. I live at the Magdalena Museum, owned by LdyHawke. But hey, I can dream, can't I?). She comes by often to visit (We want her staves, and she wants our lava tile, LOL). We catch up whenever our paths cross in-game, and I am proud to call her a friend. I have had the pleasure of watching her pursue her goal of 1000 staves, and I am overjoyed at her accomplishment.

E

eXcalibur

Aye tis truely beautiful... I came across the tower the hard way... Got bored and wondered the country side near my house... Then I went kill ratmen and lizard men....... then went to hide behind some vendors to heal up when I got swarmed.... decided to look at the vendors and was stunned by the designs... I went in and was amazed by the houses decor... when I got to the roof I was just speachless..... Everywhere in the tower is covered with Gstaffs. and on the roof they are stacked to the stars.... very beautiful

A

AmethystBlade

I have heard often that Ultima has no goals. I've heard that the game constantly adapts only to thwart those who suceed and that the true challenge in the game is to survive the constant patching. I can only wonder how the game functions as a patchwork quilt that is almost nothing left of the original game, except perhaps for a few players. I wonder how people continue to play without goals, milestones and objectives.

Jade collected 1000 ice staves as a goal, something to acheive. I do not beleive Jade collected them to set a standard or to have something to brag about but rather as an example of the desire to have goals. I hope the tower sends a message to UO that the game needs, and deserves, goals more then the accumulation of wealth and running face first into the level caps.

Jade once trained all the bears in northern britain. Then Jade opened a shop to sell reagents and that led to the reagent designs. Now the ice staff tower. These are the finest examples of the players looking for things to do in an already amazing game which needs goals.

I've heard that Jade's adamant protests against player killing may have been instrumental in the creation of the new lands. It is unfortunate I left the game before the new lands were created.

Beyond redesiging the game, which is completely up to the people working at origin, perhaps some recognition of Jade's accomplishments are in order. That above all would give other players goals and incentives for reaching their goals. If UO recognized the hard work and dedication of it's players, that in itself could create goals unthought of.

Jade is a tamer. I think she should get her own stables.

If 1000 people asked UO for this, perhaps we could acheive another goal...
...or am I asking too much?

L

Lain

Jade is my UO hero. She has led an amazing life and we had a very long discusion about the pros and cons of pvp(well i talked about the pros and she talked about the cons) we talked from about 3-4am to around 6AM EST she is the most friendly and interesting person I have EVER had the chance to meet. We talked about so many things I lost track, we just talked all night, she lives right by a savage spawn so oft we would pull a few savages and chat while she healed me and I worked on lumberjacking. If you haven't gotten the chance to hear her stories, make time for it, she is ALWAYS at her house talking to someone, i usually stop by after my power hour is over.
(Warning lag is abundent at her tower at times, very bad, even for DSL it gets unbearable)