• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The Royal Guard/RBG Promotion Info (merged)

EM Dudley

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Royal Guard has begun accepting citizens of Britannia for full enlistment within its ranks. This differs from the previous Volunteer Unit and holds with it new potential for rank and reward.

Upon enlisting within the Royal Guard each recruit shall be issued a Royal Guard Handbook. This is theirs to keep at all times they are on duty. The Royal Guard Handbook is transcribed here:

Royal Guard Handbook

You are entering a commission into the Royal Guard. Many brave souls have stood where you do now, many of them no longer walking the lands, their memories the only testament to their valor and sacrifice.

You are part of an elite unit sworn to protect Britannia against all evils. During your commission with the Guard you will be judged by your superiors constantly. Follow protocol and listen to the orders of your Commanding Officers and you will be awarded merits, which will in turn result in promotion and equipment upgrades. Dismiss protocol and act in a manner unfit of a Royal Guardsman and you will earn demerits. Earning enough demerits will result in demotion and eventual expulsion.

Attending Royal Guard calls to service, Royal Guard exercises, and Royal Guard assembly will earn you merits. Acting in above and beyond during Royal Guard operations will earn you addition merits. Staying in Uniform while serving in the Royal Guard will also earn you additional merits.

Disobeying your superiors, acting in a manner that is disruptive or degrading to unit cohesion, as well as traitorous acts will result in demerits.

Royal Guard General Orders
1. Guards will obey the orders of their superiors always.
2. Superior officers and thy fellow Guards must be treated with respect.
3. Conduct yourself admirably and with Honor.
4. Wear your uniform and wear it proud.

Royal Guard Oath
I hereby swear before the Virtues, the Guard, and my fellow citizens to serve the realm, the cities, and their interests, and to hold myself to the high ideals of the Virtues as they apply to my duties. I swear to defend the realm and all the innocent within from threats both external and internal. I swear to fulfill these duties to the best of my ability and judgment, and to serve as an example to those in the realm of just what can be accomplished through virtuous and righteous conduct. I swear these things in the name of the Virtues, the name of Britannia, and on my own body, heart, and soul.

Regiments
The Royal Guard is comprised of four regiments designated by primary combat style including: Melee, Archers, Mages, and Tamers

Royal Guard Rank
Recruit
Private
Corporal
Sergeant
First Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Sergeant Major
Lieutenant
Captain
Major*
Colonel*
Lord Commander**

*Nearly Impossible to attain
**Not Attainable

Royal Guard Compound at Serpent's Hold

By declaration of Her Majesty Queen Dawn, Serpent's Hold has been designated as The Royal Guard's primary base of operations and support station.

EMDrosselmeyer

UO Event Moderator
UO Event Moderator
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Many of you have requested this information be posted and I think it's high time I do so.

The RBG ranking system on Chesapeake is a standardized system that is meant to be as fair as possible to all involved. While it is often that the RBG events themselves are somewhat simplistic compared to larger arc events, that is because it takes quite a bit of extra time to do the administrative tasks inherent with the system. I plan to outline some of those here for your benefit and understanding so that you can know how best to maximize your returns.

The Royal Britannian Guard is a participation based ranking system that allows you to earn special, personalized rank reward items with your name and RBG rank on them. These unique items are meant to be something for you to be proud of having achieved. They are earned by getting enough 'Merit Points' to rank up from one rank to the next; Every rank up awards you a new piece. Recently, due to a necessary patch, these items cannot be created upon the spot and must be requested when you are told you are up for promotion, and rewarded at the next RBG mission.

There are typically 1-2 RBG missions a month. These are your only chances to earn merit points. Each RBG event allows you to earn between 1 and 5 merit points. It is possible to earn demerit points for actions inappropriate to a Royal Guard member, and as you rank higher, it's easier to earn demerits as more becomes expected of you. Demerits are awarded for disobeying orders (usually only if repeatedly or for very important orders), Disrupting the event (Spamcasting spells and similar), or acting in a behavior that doesn't fit for a guard member. So, How do you earn merit points?

The five point system is graded as follows; All those who attend earn 1 merit point. All those who participate earn another merit point. Proper conduct earns you a third merit point; Typically this one is only NOT awarded if you are seen to be behaving somewhat inappropriately, but not enough to earn a demerit. Most people earn these first three in every event, but there are several who routinely earn only two due to improper conduct. A fourth merit point can be earned by appearing in the appropriate RBG uniform at the start of an event during muster. (Please note: This is the point at which we check for your attendance, your uniform, and gather a list of all attending. While we do our best to catch anyone who is late but still attends, it is possible if you are late you MIGHT not be counted as being in attendance. If you make it at any point while we are still in Serpent's Hold, your attendance is counted.)You do not have to wear it the entire event, but we encourage you to do so. A fifth merit point is only rewarded if you are seen to step above or go beyond what duty necessitates. Examples of things we've awarded the fifth merit point for include: Coming up with a tactic that was unexpected and clever; Assisting in directing other RBG units in a way that led to an easier path to our goal; Showing dedication to the virtues of Britannia in an exemplary manner; and helping and assisting beyond that which is expected. It's rare for more than 1-5 people to ever earn this fifth merit point in an event. There have been several events where nobody earned the fifth merit point. PLEASE NOTE THIS IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT: MERIT POINTS CAN ONLY BE EARNED DURING RBG EVENTS. THIS IS THE SAME FOR DEMERITS.

So what do these points mean? The points are how you end up ranking up. We have a sliding scale of ranks that you have to earn more and more points to achieve each successive rank. While we have chosen not to reveal the thresholds for each, I will reveal a list of the ranks available.
Recruit is where everyone starts. From there, it goes to Private, Corporal, Sergeant, First Sergeant, Master Sergeant, Sergeant Major, Lieutenant, Captain, Major, Colonel. It is possible to earn enough rank to outrank an RPC of the RBG, but it's very difficult. It is important to note that your rank is earned by character, NOT by account. If you have been attending on different characters, each one has been getting different merit point stacks. If you believe this is the case with you, please contact me via email at EMDrosselmeyer [at] gmail [dot] com.

Currently, the highest ranking member of the RBG on Chesapeake is MaintSorc, who is about to crest the threshold and become Master Sergeant. MaintSorc has managed to attend every RBG event we've ever hosted save one, and has done so in uniform every time. MaintSorc has therefore practically guaranteed four merit points in every event he's attended; Maximizing your merit points is how you rank up effectively.

Now, what are our plans with this? We understand some of you wish to rank up faster and more effectively. What we'd like to hear is if the RBG system is one that the players of Chesapeake are interested in to become more prominent than it is, and if you would wish us to expand to make it so there are 2 RBG events per month on average instead of 1. If a large portion wish it to be so, we will work it in to the schedule and start mixing RBG activities with more events.

If there are any questions, comments, or if you wish to let your opinion regarding the system be known, please post here. Thank you!

Last edited:

Speranza

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm all for two per month! As a retired sailor and follower of the work of Paladins the structure and methods of the RBG appeal to me. Not to mention as a Governor of a City of Virtue I should do perform duties that benefit Minoc as much as possible.

Meadhbh

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What are the Ranks in the demerit system and what am I at now, point wise? negative what? :) and me wearing a uniform, pffft, sorry, I'm no Catholic school girl like Maintsorc! :p

whiterabbit

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Catholic school girl
DEYS BEEES HOT
*EBIL GRIN*

Last edited:

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Hi, I was supposed to get a rank on my character Pride. At the time you found out you couldn't make the item and they would be delivered at another time.
I had surgery and must have missed when I was supposed to pick this up is it still available to me or have I missed my opportunity?

EMDrosselmeyer

UO Event Moderator
UO Event Moderator
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To Meadhbh: You actually have been pretty good at keeping your rank at recruit. Nobody's been bad enough to earn negative rank..yet.
To Flutter: No, if you miss the RBG event after you told us what item you needed, you can pick it up either at the next one, or if we have time after another event. I have your sash ready and waiting for you. Nobody 'loses' an opportunity to be promoted due to an absence. The only thing you miss out on is the chance to earn merit points for that specific event.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
To Meadhbh: You actually have been pretty good at keeping your rank at recruit. Nobody's been bad enough to earn negative rank..yet.
To Flutter: No, if you miss the RBG event after you told us what item you needed, you can pick it up either at the next one, or if we have time after another event. I have your sash ready and waiting for you. Nobody 'loses' an opportunity to be promoted due to an absence. The only thing you miss out on is the chance to earn merit points for that specific event.
Thank you!!

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Thank you for posting this information.

I like the RBG events! I like the RP aspect of them. They also have a good pace because there are fewer people scurrying about watching for the drop since you announced RBG events don't have them. (Not that I'm entirely innocent in that regard, just sayin'.) It's a little easier to keep track of what's going on.

I also really like that you are incorporating some of the governors' storylines into events (notably Holly Bloodhand references and the orcs in Yew).

I'd rather have RBG events than Solstice Faires personally. I just can't get the hang of Solstice Faires. *grumble* Oddly though, one of my favorite events was the one where we were trying to catch up to you guys after your drunken tour of Sosaria, and that was a Solstice Faire... but it was different from how they usually work.

More RBG events sounds good to me. I certainly wouldn't mind having more opportunities to rank up.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
@Meadhbh You're not gonna let that gauntlet just lie there, are you? :p

Meadhbh

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well you know EM D, I accept the challenge and for the record, unlike them Royal Britannian Guard Weenies, I don't need my name written on my underoos to remember my name, I just need to look or the yummiest looking one in the room and open her paper doll and voila...MEADHBH :)

Last edited:

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Nobody's been bad enough to earn negative rank..yet.
Out of sheer innocent curiosity... just what would "negative rank" entail? I'm asking for a friend.

4gregu

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not to sidetrack the thread, but did I miss the April event schedule?

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
is there a detailed list of uniforms?
for example for a mage, etc thanks
There are locked boxes in the House of Commons with uniform examples.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
From this post, the possible rewards are:

Captain: Cloak, Sash, Kilt, Boots, Ninja Belt, Half apron, obi, Robe, Plain Dress, Kimono, Bandana, Skullcap, Wizard's Hat, Longsword, Bow, Spellbook, Kryss, Maul, Wand, Bracelet, Necklace, Shield (Any choice other than Chaos).
Lieutenant: Sash, Kilt, Boots, Ninja Belt, Half Apron, obi, Robe, Kimono, Plain Dress, Bandana, Skullcap, Wizard's hat, Longsword, Bow, Spellbook, Kryss, Maul, Wand, Bracelet, Necklace.
Sergeant Major: Sash, Kilt, Boots, Ninja Belt, Half apron, obi, Robe, Plain Dress, Kimono, Bandana, Skullcap, Wizard's Hat, Bracelet, Necklace.
Master Sergeant: Sash, Kilt, boots, Ninja belt, Half apron, Obi, Robe, Kimono, Plain Dress, Bandana, Skullcap, Wizard's Hat.
First Sergeant: Sash, Kilt, Ninja Belt, Half Apron, Obi, Robe, Kimono, Plain Dress, Bandana, Skullcap, Wizard's Hat.
Sergeant: Sash, Kilt, Ninja Belt, Half Apron, Obi, Bandana, Skullcap, Wizard's Hat.
Corporal: Sash, Kilt, Ninja Belt, Half Apron, Obi.
Private: Sash, Ninja Belt, Half Apron, Obi.

Last edited: