• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The [Redacted] diaries

Dodger

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We were all born to a uo Mother, tell us where you started and why.

I bought the game as a kid thinking it was single player, was soooo pissed off when after an hour or two of loading I couldnt play it.

Got dialup internet and played and instantly fell in love, I remember killing rats and dying to rats in Britains sewers and thinking "This is so ****ing cool".

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Dude....this is going to get deleted or locked sooooo fast because of the name. lol.

Atlantic Trinsic, because knights and chivalry sounded cool, died about 10 seconds after leaving the city to a mongbat. Stayed for life :)

Dodger

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We all come from them, its an apt title.

You still die to mongbats I herded some onto you at a rp or nerd event.

Last edited:

Stickypaws

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
The residents of Gemstone III MUD were moving here on release. I tried to move from MUD to UO and my PC laughed. 'You want e to do graphics and online gaming? Bwahahaha! Get back into you MUD and MSN chats!' Not long before tram appeared I tried again on my 64mb ram BEAST of a PC and could play agonizingly slowly. But I could play I tell ya! Its been an on off affair ever since.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Not a good choice for a title. But at least he didn't use the "P" word.

Prime.

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I first started playing in second grade so you can bet I had no clue what I was doing ever, my mother had me go and farm feathers for her outside of Moonglow to give me something to do. After like fifteen minutes some guy polymorphed into a chicken, not knowing better I attacked him/her and they FSed me twice and killed me , I cried for like half an hour and refused to play for a week.

Stickypaws

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Although I smiled when I read your post prime, you just made me physically age by 17 years all at once. Ow. >.<

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We were all born to a uo Mother, tell us where you started and why.

I bought the game as a kid thinking it was single player, was soooo pissed off when after an hour or two of loading I couldnt play it.

Got dialup internet and played and instantly fell in love, I remember killing rats and dying to rats in Britains sewers and thinking "This is so ******* cool".
My irl friend was in beta, he didn't play video games but was telling me I HAD to play when it came out, so I got it for xmas that year. Took like a month to get into it properly, but was fully obsessed for like 2 straight years. :(

Still remember walking out of brit into someones fire field, dying, and thinking "Wtf just happened? This is amazing!"

a slave girl

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh poop I missed the original title.

I am a mother of four whose oldest child, who is a girl, saw the game played at her boyfriend's friend's house, then went and found UO Renaissance for $10 in the clearance bin at Gamestop in the mall, bought it with her own money and brought it home.

I guess for me it was a pleasant distraction from being newly divorced and taking on all the responsibility, instead of half, of raising four kids.

At least getting addicted to UO seemed a tad safer than running off to Africa!

During the divorce I kept envisioning myself running around topless in the African desert, digging up grubs to eat and sleeping in a tree at night. TRUE FREEDOM! YES!

And of course then after 24 hours of that kind of freedom I'd find myself burned to a crisp by the African sun.

So, instead, I run around UO looking for house spots, idocs, and sometimes even just for scripters.

Piotr

Stratic's Finest
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Awards
The first few posts mentioned dying to something, so a proper title could have been "Fifty Shades of G(r)ay". :wink:

50shadesofgay.jpg

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I recall buying a copy of UO:R off a shelf at Walmart... I hadn't even gotten a computer yet but I knew I was getting one for Merry TaxMas... so I picked it up. I then installed it and realized shoot.... I need internet! Had to wait awhile to get internet but finally after getting internet I was pretty addicted to playing "The Sims" .... so didn't really play yet. My son finally says "Hey Mom... you ever gonna play that?" So finally I decide Ok... I create an account. I tell him he can't play.

Well sure as anything he starts playing on Pacific... I did notice. I was playing on LS first 10 min or so into the game and my PC died... My son had a friend over and his mother was trying to find the lightswitch for the basement lights and hit the center switch in my livingroom that supplied all power to outlets... killed my pc. When I turned it back on I got the dreaded "click, click" over and over as nothing happened. Killed the hard drive in my pc. Had to wait like 3 months to get the thing fixed. Finally got my computer back and 3 months after that I was like .... Ooo...... I forgot I was going to play that game. I blame my son. Anyway... I had forgotten where I started made a new character on Great Lakes and was instantly old 6 months old and lost my "newbie" status like within a couple days of playing. I started in Yew. Loved the city. Decided to be a woodland elf... Archer/lumberjack and fletcher I believe. I recall my first death... somewhere in the woods outside Britain I'm harvesting wood minding my own business when I hear the most bizarre laugh... I'm like what is that? Next thing I know all the world is gray and I'm dead... I go back to town get a rez come back to find my corpse and find my dead pack animal and some strange winged creature and that insane laugh again... and then all is gray once more.

Gargoyles!! Learned that if I hear that crazy laugh run, run away. From then on I spent hours and hours in Britain's Cemetery killing anything that moved until I finally had the skill to kill anything in the woods. Except the dire wolf pack. But that's another story.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
My oldest daughter was in college when UO first came out and she was introduced to it by a college friend. She pestered me to give it a go, which I did... then after setting me up to learn tailoring, I was pretty much left on my own. I got hooked and she eventually lost interest. So it goes. *shrug*