• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(OT) The New Fluffi Babble Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fluffi

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Whereas this one comes pre-collapsed?

Why does each post take up so much vertical space?
Why is the banner on the main page so big?

Don't tell me.......it's for ipads !!

:bdh:

Oh look..........smilies !!

Oh dear...

... I agree with Barian.

This may cause both of our heads to spontaneously explode.

John II SRC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I quite like the new forum ... after I got my head around it. Especially now, that some of the old smilies are back ... yay!

Fluffi

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Grumpy old bugger needs help.

How do I quote a previous post? I know I did it earlier, but I cant work how to do it when drunk

How do I multiquote several previous posts?

Why is there a "like" button at the bottom of posts? This isn't FaeceBook!

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Grumpy old bugger needs help.

How do I quote a previous post? I know I did it earlier, but I cant work how to do it when drunk

How do I multiquote several previous posts?

Why is there a "like" button at the bottom of posts? This isn't FaeceBook!
hit the 'reply' link on the post you're replying to and it will quote it - but afaik you can't do multi quotes

Some folks like to show they 'like' a post without actually wanting to post to add anything about it.

Fluffi

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
... but afaik you can't do multi quotes
So, this wonderful, shiny, new format lacks the capabilities of the old, tired format, which it has been bought in to replace. (I believe I said something about change for changes' sake not being a good thing.)

Some folks like to show they 'like' a post without actually wanting to post to add anything about it.
This is supposed to be a chat forum; not a popularity poll.
Surely, this is supposed to be a place to exchange ideas: I don't care if everybody hates or likes what I say; I want to hear a valid reason why you hate / like it.
As we appear to be having a "like" button, can I please ask for an "absolutely loathe" button. (I guess that the answer will be "no, because that would lead to trolling on the forum"; but I, for one, would rather have a well-written troll than a pointless "hey, I like what this person is saying, but I am too stupid to put my thoughts into words.")

@Petra - not having a dig at you, of course ;)

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
So, this wonderful, shiny, new format lacks the capabilities of the old, tired format, which it has been bought in to replace. (I believe I said something about change for changes' sake not being a good thing.)

Surely, this is supposed to be a place to exchange ideas: I don't care if everybody hates or likes what I say; I want to hear a valid reason why you hate / like it.
As we appear to be having a "like" button, can I please ask for an "absolutely loathe" button. (I guess that the answer will be "no, because that would lead to trolling on the forum"; but I, for one, would rather have a well-written troll than a pointless "hey, I like what this person is saying, but I am too stupid to put my thoughts into words.")

We had two options:

1) Change software

2) Lose everything, then change software

Those were all the options available to us. I've invested over $500 in making the functionality of this software match vBulletin as closely as possible, but we're not there yet. No, my wife's not happy. Working every single day to improve it. Oh and by the way, I'm a volunteer who's never received a dime and who never asked to be responsible for this nightmare. Unfortunately, it fell to me not to let Stratics Forums be wiped from the Internet.

In short, I think we made the right choice. If you have specific questions or suggestions, I will try my best to answer them in this thread: Suggestions and Bug Reports | Stratics Forums.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
P.S. Wanna pancake about the move? We were using an end-of-life software. We have people who hate us. Put two and two together.

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We had two options:

1) Change software

2) Lose everything, then change software

Those were all the options available to us. I've invested over $500 in making the functionality of this software match vBulletin as closely as possible, but we're not there yet. No, my wife's not happy. Working every single day to improve it. Oh and by the way, I'm a volunteer who's never received a dime and who never asked to be responsible for this nightmare. Unfortunately, it fell to me not to let Stratics Forums be wiped from the Internet.

In short, I think we made the right choice. If you have specific questions or suggestions, I will try my best to answer them in this thread: Suggestions and Bug Reports | Stratics Forums.
I'm going to clarify a few things for Syrus. We invest our time and energy into this because we enjoy it. When we invest of ourselves this much and improvements get criticized we take it very personal whether you think we should or not. Flame away all you want but be prepared for a response that is just as candid.

I hesitated after reading Syrus' response here because it comes after a very stressful few weeks for us but then I realize we all feel this way. We're not doing this to make money, we're doing this so those who love gaming and want to talk about it, particularly UO, can do it with us volunteers who love it too. Nuff said for me.

Peace Europa,

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Personal investment or not, we had precisely two choices, as noted above. I am trying to be as accommodating as possible and have had several plugins custom developed to mirror former functionality. I've implemented several user suggestions in the aforementioned thread and I continue to be open to suggestions. Nevertheless, I cannot change the fact that we needed to move--and we needed to do it immediately.

If I were fired tomorrow, my quality of life would improve immediately. I'm tired and unhappy. The only thing I know how to do is write stories. Unfortunately, programmers aren't real happy to work for free and TGN isn't willing to invest in a programmer for Stratics at this point. Users can offer suggestions, they can petition for my resignation, but they cannot change the fact that Stratics was in a dire situation that needed to be addressed immediately.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Fluffy please understand that this was not 'change for the sake of change' it was 'act fast or die'. The forum software had been scarying me spitless for years. Because of the way Den and the others before us set it up it could not be updated.

Poor Syrus has knocked himself out trying to make sure things kept going, that the change over went as smooth as possible and that familiar features were retained. He deserves lots of hugs, not smacks. If there are features you don't like, don't use them. But don't kick Syrus for saving the boards.

Thimblepixie

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Change is ... change. We might not like everything about it, but if it's necessary, it's necessary. A lot of people have worked very hard to make it as seamless as possible, and barring a few aesthetic differences, it seems, at least to a casual user like me, to be pretty spot-on. Much as I'm loathe to go against veteran commenters, there's no going back to the old version, and unless some actually serious differences or bugs appear, I really don't see the point of 'waah, it's different, make it stop'. Usual caveats apply, just my 2 pennorth <ducks back under fireblanket>.
:grouphug:

John II SRC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just realised that I need 4291 more posts to become a Grand Poobah! I want to be a Grand Poobah! At this rate I will be a Grand Poobah in about 267 years. Can I be a Grand Poobah now, please?

I said please!

John II SRC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Barian, do you want to be a Grand Poobah, too? Maybe if we combine our post counts, we can be a Grand Poobah together. You can be the Grand and I will be the Poobah!

John II SRC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just found the "SPY" function. Now THAT is neat! I love it ... the only thing I have to find out now is how to see who is online. There used to be a list of the peeps online at the bottom of the forum, but I couldn't find anything similar yet ...

Barian

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Barian, do you want to be a Grand Poobah, too? Maybe if we combine our post counts, we can be a Grand Poobah together. You can be the Grand and I will be the Poobah!
I has been a Grand Poobah.........a long long time ago.........:D

You has not noticed the title under the Revolving Door?

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I just found the "SPY" function. Now THAT is neat! I love it ... the only thing I have to find out now is how to see who is online. There used to be a list of the peeps online at the bottom of the forum, but I couldn't find anything similar yet ...
Aye, I miss this to--the "users viewing thread" feature. The closest thing available currently is "Users who have read this thread," but this is a little impractical for a forum our size. I've requested a "users viewing thread" plugin and will add it as soon as it becomes available.

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aye, I miss this to--the "users viewing thread" feature. The closest thing available currently is "Users who have read this thread," but this is a little impractical for a forum our size. I've requested a "users viewing thread" plugin and will add it as soon as it becomes available.

Syrus, while you're on your plug in quest, could we get the forum navigation from the bottom of the thread back please? You know, you go into a thread and from the bottom of the page, you could go to the previous thread or the next one. It's really useful and saves me lots of clicking when I'm checking lots of new posts in the trade forums :)

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Syrus, while you're on your plug in quest, could we get the forum navigation from the bottom of the thread back please? You know, you go into a thread and from the bottom of the page, you could go to the previous thread or the next one. It's really useful and saves me lots of clicking when I'm checking lots of new posts in the trade forums :)
Added! Does that work?

John II SRC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aren't you all clever folks? If only our company IT service would be this fast .... *sighs and rolls eyes*

John II SRC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh, after this post only 28 more and I will be one step closer to become Grand Poobah! If I keep it up like this I will probably be there before the Morlocks take over .....

John II SRC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I has been a Grand Poobah.........a long long time ago.........:D

You has not noticed the title under the Revolving Door?
Oh, I didn't notice that .. guess I was blinded by the ... errr ... blinding emptyness here ...

Barian

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aye......Europa seems........quiet.......too quiet........:sad3:

Aurelius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you mean the shard, I'm just glad it's still up to be empty in ;) - but if you refer to the forum and this thread, it's certainly one of our 'slower' days... It'll recover though, I'm sure.

John II SRC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's up to something, no doubt about that. This thread is like a small child: full of menace, sneakyness and munching all your chocolates if you're not watching it at all times! All I'm saying is: HARK! (just wanted to use that word once in my life, if it fits or not ....)

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry; I'm busy making a beautiful dress for my beautiful daughter. She's going to a dance on Saturday night, and requires a vintage 1950's vogue pattern dress to fit in. The buttonholes are causing ... consternation!

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think I got combat fatigue. My patience on a certain other of our forums is wearing thin.

Barian

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oooooo.........be that UHall?

Can I watch?

btw........why is my siggy pic not showing?

Aurelius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I, however, don't see Barian's sig picture ... and if I try access the actual image, get told

Stratics Forums - Error
You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action.

So, the mods can see it, but users can't?

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I, however, don't see Barian's sig picture ... and if I try access the actual image, get told

Stratics Forums - Error
You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action.

So, the mods can see it, but users can't?
Petra fixed it real sneaky like, but it looks like she uploaded it to a hidden forum. Should be fixed in just a sec.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Working now?

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Doh! I didn't realise that the forum I put it in would affect its visibility!

Status
Not open for further replies.