• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Mining] The new D'oh! - Gargoyle Mining

J

[JD]

So my one and only crafter is a dingbat, for the bonus to imbuing. So far I was happy to be a tailor and imbuer but I'm finding I need to add other skills to my toon. With Smithing comes mining.

But dear lord mining as a dingbat is god awful! A friend and I helped each other get fire beetles, but my dingbat can't ride it. I can't polymorph into human and ride it, and the darn thing follows me sooo slowwwwwwllllyyyyyyyy.

The pain is like realizing it's 1:59am, and the only girl left in the bar is not a looker! D'oh!

What's a dingbat to do?

What are some of the things you've done to ease the pain for your dingbat miner? Besides CTRL ALT DEL, character deletion, throwing the computer out the window, setting fire to the UO Stygian Abyss CD, cursing the loss of Designer Dragon, and living the serene life of an ancient buddhist monk in the snow capped mountains (I've tried all that - doesn't work)

J

[JD]

Lol not a peep? I guess I'm an idiot for putting mining on my garg! :p

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
maybe pet summoning ball ? I really think they should let gargoyles polymorph and ride

Lorax_Pacific

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So I guess you haven't heard about the coal wheelbarrels that you strike a campfire to while mining to smelt the ore? They can only be pulled by Gargoyles and except for the toxic fumes in the caves they are exceptional.

Get yours from the queens Royal Miner in Ter Mur.

-Lorax

K

Kallie Pigeon

I still use packies and recall to a forge and I'm not a gargoyle LOL

J

[JD]

So I guess you haven't heard about the coal wheelbarrels that you strike a campfire to while mining to smelt the ore? They can only be pulled by Gargoyles and except for the toxic fumes in the caves they are exceptional.

Get yours from the queens Royal Miner in Ter Mur.

-Lorax

Thanks Lorax I'll check into it. Is the wheelbarrel something "ridable" so I don't have to wait for it to follow me? Also does it require the camping skill? Cause I don't really have room on my toon for any more skills as it is. :<

J

[JD]

Haha. Got me

It sounded just ridicilous enough to actually be in the game.

Wish Mining had some other affect; lumberjacking would go well on an axe using swordsman... if Mining had some dual use I could find use for it on an alternate toon, a HUMAN toon.

A

a gargish zombie

The only reason to have a miner on a crafter is to get a higher return on smelting items. You can still use any material you just don't smelt very good!

J

[JD]

I really only have room for the one crafter toon on my account, thats the real problem. So mining needs to be on the crafter.

Do you think I will save more money/resources in the long run keeping the gargoyle for imbuing at queens forge, or by changing to human for mining/smelting?

F

Faux Pas

My Gargoyle Legandary Smith/Grandmaster Miner/Legendary Artificer/80 Tailor/80 Tinker has no problem mining. Once the beetle bonds you don't have to sweat the slowness so much. If you lose him, log off and back on and poof he is there. My wings do seem to get the way sometimes while loading ore onto beetle. :)

K

Kallie Pigeon

I'm not sure about fire beetles but when my blue beetle is slow I feed him and tell him to follow and he speeds up.

Guido_LS

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
[JD] said:
The pain is like realizing it's 1:59am, and the only girl left in the bar is not a looker! D'oh!
As the saying around campus goes, save money and go ugly early :)

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
JD, do you have a lumberjack character? You might consider putting mining, lumberjacking and fishing together on a character that has some minimal fighting/defensive skills and then shuffle more crafting skills onto the character with imbuing and feel more comfortable leaving it as a gargoyle.

I have miner/lj/fisher/music/peace/magery/med chars. Then chars with smithing/tailoring/imbuing/tinkering (not GM)/magery/med chars that can go fight enough stuff to get loyalty points for using the queens forge. Then I do carpentry/tinkering/fletching on another character with enough tailoring, smithing, music, and magery to do the house add-ons. The mage gets alchemy, cooking, inscription and maybe poisoning. If you buy the add'l house/bank storage plus additional character upgrade to your account, you can have 7 characters per shard.

J

[JD]

Tina,

I don't have character slots for those unspecialized characters. Somehow after buying SA I only have 5 character slots. I have friends with 6, but it was because they pre-ordered some expansion in the past. I believe my only option as you put it would be to upgrade to 7 character slots for $30. I mean I could do it, its just, do I really wanna spend 30 bucks on this? Ehh.

C

csany

I'm not sure about fire beetles but when my blue beetle is slow I feed him and tell him to follow and he speeds up.
This sure sounds like the solution to me. All follow me, even to an unhappy pet will always bring them at their full speed. Does your slow beetle wander away too?

Of course, I'm assuming your not flying at full speed, which will outpace most thing.

J

[JD]

Also, there is a bit of information about pets you should know. Pets will walk faster the more dex they have. So lore your pets and try to choose the fastest dex ones (all other things remaining equal).

For me there was not so much a lot of choice with the fire beetle, being that there is only one and it is a pain to get. I would have to sit there farming them to get one with high dex so it follows quickly.