• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Feedback] The New Default UI

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Ok, some feedback based on my first looks at the new UI. First off, I have to say that I've been playing the EC for I think four or five years now, and at least the last two years have been with Pinco's UI. Pinco's UI has become part of my game, and the new default UI has taken some of that away. So I'll be honest, I wasn't looking forward to the new UI. It means redoing all my desktops and such, and that means a lot of work.

So first off, the look. It's different. I liked my dark stone mini-template. But it looks fine, and it isn't the end of the world. Second, it looks like migrating to the new default UI isn't going to be horribly painful, and might not screw up my game play too much. I'm not redoing from scratch. I'm using the old character xml files, and I realize a fair bit of the data in there is now just worthless clutter. If Pinco doesn't provide a way to clean up the UI, I will probably go into the xml files myself and do some house cleaning. I wouldn't recommend this to your average player. You might end up making a serious mess and having to start over from scratch.

However, there is one HUGE plus that I noticed right away. Pinco's UI had performance issues. The new default UI does not appear to have any performance issues. I'll have to see what happens when I pvp or run through Luna, but so far this is the smoothest game play I have ever seen in any UO client, ever.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, some feedback based on my first looks at the new UI. First off, I have to say that I've been playing the EC for I think four or five years now, and at least the last two years have been with Pinco's UI. Pinco's UI has become part of my game, and the new default UI has taken some of that away. So I'll be honest, I wasn't looking forward to the new UI. It means redoing all my desktops and such, and that means a lot of work.

So first off, the look. It's different. I liked my dark stone mini-template. But it looks fine, and it isn't the end of the world. Second, it looks like migrating to the new default UI isn't going to be horribly painful, and might not screw up my game play too much. I'm not redoing from scratch. I'm using the old character xml files, and I realize a fair bit of the data in there is now just worthless clutter. If Pinco doesn't provide a way to clean up the UI, I will probably go into the xml files myself and do some house cleaning. I wouldn't recommend this to your average player. You might end up making a serious mess and having to start over from scratch.

However, there is one HUGE plus that I noticed right away. Pinco's UI had performance issues. The new default UI does not appear to have any performance issues. I'll have to see what happens when I pvp or run through Luna, but so far this is the smoothest game play I have ever seen in any UO client, ever.
yes, the performance is the key feature of this new UI, and this will be the new core of the Pinco's UI 6.0.

If you have to copy the macros you can still use EC profile manager, but JUST for the macros :p

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you have to copy the macros you can still use EC profile manager, but JUST for the macros :p
This works a treat. Managed to use it to copy all my old macros over to my new profile :)

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
As I suggested on your forums, it would be nice if there was a "clean up" option added to the profile manager, or the Pinco's UI Launcher that would go through your character files and delete obsolete and unused entries. I have over 50 hotbars on many of my desktops, with the hotbars arranged in a very specific way. Redoing them all from scratch would be a nightmare. I'll try and clean out the character files manually before I'll redo all my desktops from scratch, even if I can keep my macros.

Kirran

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Just logged in and saw the new UI. Took me a few minutes to see I had to change to the Default UI. Looks okay though. I noticed they removed some icons, and I can't find an Agents button anywhere in the Actions menus. Also, all my old agents are gone. Looks okay though.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Seems to me I saw the agents. But you'll have to redo them I think.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Really nice job on the icons btw.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
The client runs just as smoothly in pvp and around buildings. Unbelievable. I was not expecting this. No choppiness, no video lag, just smooth as butter. My fps haven't changed, but it runs 1000% better...

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
The only places I'm still getting some choppiness are around lots of pc vendors.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I just got back home and just started testing and did a test with the old character file and then a new file and it is a lot smoother and fast with the new UI!

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I'm getting my characters set back up again, and just wanted to say the only thing I'm missing is the dock spots so far.

Zeke

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have the Mobile Dock Spots. One of the things I miss is turning off the reward gump lol

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I'm missing the advanced pet lore gump and advanced item properties, but I did find the dockspots... :)

Tintagel the Tinker

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
The new colors, etc are great. The performance is snappy, much improved from previous third-party Pinco's.

That said... I dislike Pinco's UI, and always have. Just my opinion. I feel like it makes my game screen entirely too busy with elements I can't turn off (additional buttons on backpacks, mobiles bar I never use TBH, even the Status window is just too large and clunky for me.) I'd like the option to disable the elements I don't want. I'd like to have old style health bars. There are just so many bells-and-whistles that I'd simply prefer not to be there. I get that others use and enjoy these features, but I'd like to be able to remove the bits I don't want.

I'm a long time 2d user, and I'd still be using it but my new PC that I picked up last year has a resolution that makes playing on 2d prohobitive. I had the old vanilla EC set up to essentially behave as closely as possible to CC, with a larger play area, and for me the new UI is just an assault on my eyes.

Again, just my opinion, but as someone who never enjoyed Pinco's UI for my gameplay, I'm pretty disappointed that I have to use it (or something very like it) now.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
When it comes to movement, it's still true that no one moves faster than the server side capped speed, but there is as big a difference between the consistency of moving at the cap speed between the new UI and the old UI, as there was between the EC with the old UI and the CC... It's unbelievable. I'm going to get paged on every day, and probably several times a day... :)

As I just told my UO buddy, it's as if I just bought a brand new, much more expensive computer. I'm not noticing any difference in FPS, but if you were playing a fully 3D game, it would be like the difference between 20 FPS and 200...

eth777

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Were the hotbars supposed to work now with the new UI? I'm still having them show 100% the whole time until the enemy suddenly dies.

eth777

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For the most part, I like the look and feel of the new UI. Haven't had any major issues so far. I really do miss the Intensity/imbuing stats that Pinco's UI included for loot. Can't wait to see the next version of that as well. I also like using the organizer agents without having to move the mouse around.

sibble

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I do have a lot to say about the changes but I'm going to keep this short and sweet :)

I don't use anything other than EC and I've used Pinco's UI the entire time. A lot of Pinco's UI features seem to be in the client itself now and I can see a substantial performance increase. On top of everything, the most important thing to me (target actions in macros) seems to be working where it previously didn't. I've made some pretty complex pvp macros and they work flawlessly.

My 1 complaint is that I can't scale the UI enough. If there's no option to scale each specific object, I'm ok with that. My problem is my screen resolution is so big and the UI scale only goes so far.... I end up with very small health bars.

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
How to filter off system messages? When I fight I get 3 system messages every 1.25s (per swing) - "prepare to hit special", "hit special", "archived perfection". So I can't ready chat messages (they go off-screen too fast).