• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The Husband Store...AKA OT Babble Thread!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

<blockquote><hr>

One of the guys pulled out a backup Mr. Coffee and the world started spinning again.....

[/ QUOTE ]
*sigh of relief* That would've been horrible if all you coffee drinkers had to suck on the coffee grounds all day.
I can see you now, walking around packing the coffee into your gums like chewing tobacco. Not a pretty image.
There are only 2 appliances that are an absolute necessity in my kitchen; the refrigerator (gotta keep the food cold) and the coffee pot. I've tried to go cold turkey with the coffee and those headaches from caffeine withdrawal are awful.

S

shard

We are a resourceful bunch. If worse came to worse we would have just invaded another work unit and mooched coffee off them.

The conversation would go something like:

them: Hey Shard, what are you here to fix?

me: Nothing, I'm just here for the coffee.

them: You know that coffee is $5 a cup.

me: Yep, your coffee is special.

them: So, how you going to pay?

me: Put it on my tab. And when my tab gets to about $100, I'll delete your computers from the network and all your user files and deny I ever drank any of it.

them: We love you too, biotch.

me: Got 'ne sugar? This some rank double whopper with cheese.......

them: Biotch.

G

*ROFLMBO* Shard! You just have such a way with words. What would this 'babble' thread be without you and Faerr? "Now get into the kitchen and fetch me some coffee, biotch!!!"

Oriana

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well Mama!! I never!!!

How you doing lady? Hope all is well in your neck of the world.

*BIG MAMA HUGS*

G

<blockquote><hr>

Well Mama!! I never!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
Well then maybe you should!!!!
*HUGS MAMA 2 BACK*
It's hectic, still winter and I'm repeating my mantra "spring will come, spring will come" every day. Welcome to the 'babble thread', dear woman. Now Shard has someone else to pick on. *snicker*

Oriana

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe I did and I'm just not telling!!

Spring is here in the desert!! Mid 70's to low 80's. Nice and warm.

*Hugs Mama*

Now who is this Shard person and should I be worried?? lol Nah Avalon's finest wouldn't pick on me?!?!? Would he?

G

<blockquote><hr>

Maybe I did and I'm just not telling!!

[/ QUOTE ]
I knew it! *huge grin*
<blockquote><hr>

Now who is this Shard person and should I be worried?? lol Nah Avalon's finest wouldn't pick on me?!?!? Would he?

[/ QUOTE ]
That's a dare if I've ever heard one. Sic her, Shard. *stands back to watch the action*

Oriana

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmm I'll even give him some material to start... UO addict of course, Baja Mod and reporter (don't let that hold you back
), desert rat, marginally insane (goes with playing UO especially on Baja
) Hmm, I'll have to think of more later. Time to get this day in gear!!

S

shard

Don't you girls make me break out the flying monkeys! Somebody might get a house dropped on 'em!

So Roxie calls me today while she's at Wal Mart. She's found the perfect curtains for the living room. I thought I put up the perfect living room curtains a couple years ago. Roxie informs me that I am mistaken.

I put up the new mailbox today. Actually kinda proud of the job. It's<font color="green"> green </font>of course.

Roxie picked and arranged a buncha daffodils and buttercups that are in a vase on a stand by the front door. Red wasps were all around while I was working outside. Keep the faith, Mama Faith, spring will be here before you know it.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Don't you girls make me break out the flying monkeys! Somebody might get a house dropped on 'em!

[/ QUOTE ]
Aim that way!! *points to Ori*

<blockquote><hr>

So Roxie calls me today while she's at Wal Mart. She's found the perfect curtains for the living room. I thought I put up the perfect living room curtains a couple years ago. Roxie informs me that I am mistaken.

[/ QUOTE ]
Whatcha gonna do? Can't live with us......can't live with us.

<blockquote><hr>

I put up the new mailbox today. Actually kinda proud of the job. It's<font color="green"> green </font>of course.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh man. Just don't tell me you put up one of these.

<blockquote><hr>

Roxie picked and arranged a buncha daffodils and buttercups that are in a vase on a stand by the front door. Red wasps were all around while I was working outside. Keep the faith, Mama Faith, spring will be here before you know it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sure, just rub it in. You have flowers and I just looked out the window and it's *sniff* SNOWING.
*goes back to repeating mantra*

S

shard

Funny bit about the mailbox is, when I asked Roxie what manner of new mailbox she wanted she just said "Whatever". My response was that if she didn't give me a little more input than "whatever" then she might be pulling the mail out of a largemouth bass mailbox. So now we have a normal sized,<font color="green"> green </font>mailbox, with 2" white letters spelling out our address. I used some acrylic spray to seal the address decals and the whole box, but I'm not sure how that's going to work out. That clear acrylic spray is kinda hard to spray on evenly. Anyway, if it keeps the water and stuff from getting to the address decals and making them discolored or peel off, it was worth it.

New<font color="green"> green </font>mailbox, $10
Clear acrylic spray, $3
2" white address decals, $2
Mounting board and hardware, free
Installation by Shard, priceless!

Actually, Mama, I wish we would get some more winter weather down here. We have had a really mild winter as far as cold weather is concerned. But if we don't get some arctic fronts in the next few weeks, then the southwestern weather flow will kick in and that will be that.

Of course the old saying about the weather in Arkansas is: If you don't like it, just wait about 15 minutes and it will change.

G

I've used the spray sealant on stuff that was outside and it did fine. Eventually, it does like to chip but it lasted longer than I thought. I would've liked to have seen the bigmouth bass mailbox. *snicker*

As far as wanting winter weather? This picture was taken this morning out our back door. We've had 4-5 days of temps in the 40's and 50's so some has melted. The drift actually went all the way back to the gate but the hubby got his tractor out and scooped half of it out of there so it wasn't all running into the garage. The drift was so high that you could walk over our 6 ft. privacy fence. It's a good thing our dog is too old to care about wandering around the neighborhood. He could've escaped quite easily. I'm so ready for temps in the 70's!

S

shard

That's a lotta snow!!!! Ummm, that's a great pic. Looks like nice country livin' but.....

Where's your trees?

Let me guess, there are no trees between your house and Canada.

Roxie and I got the new perfect curtains hung over the north window. We'll get the south window sometime this week. They do look pretty good.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Where's your trees?

[/ QUOTE ]
Pffft. You guessed that right. We planted trees here in WY at the same time my brother did in ND and his would already be considered a shelter belt around the farm. Ours could still be used as switches! I'm talking about the trunks, not the branches.*sigh*

G

I thought everyone knew, the North Dakota state tree... is a telephone pole.

G

*LOL* And the state bird is a mosquito. Though that one really could be true.
Actually, I'm from the eastern part where they do have trees. That's one of the things I miss most.....that and black soil!

U

UOFaerr

Yeah the no tree thing would get old. It doesn't even look like you have much foliage at all, not even some scrub brush to break up the landscape a bit.

Do you know if cotton wood can grow up there? It's a pretty fast growing tree, plus there is a variety that doesn't go to cotton as long as it gets enough water. I can't stand the bits of cotton blowing around but even then that isn't for very long. Just don't plant it near the septic system or leech bed or you are in for some trouble.

There is also the Honey Locust which is 'resistant' to deer.

Both of these trees are fast growing and seem to be okay for your zone. It wouldn't be that costly to try one or two of each kind and see where it takes you.

U

UOFaerr

Well one thing they do say about the weather in Texas is if you don't like it just wait five minutes and it will change. I just planted flowers and rose bushes last week and now we are looking at snow flurries tonight. *boggle*

My petunias are water logged and droopy and pathetic looking. I know they can recover because they are the easiest flower to grow. I plan on putting in some orange and yellow flowers to offset the blue and purples. You just have to buy those blue flowers as early as you can because they tend to go fast.

One thing I definitely miss about the desert was the long flower season. Basically from October to late May I could have flowers of some sort growing. And if you had some native plants you could have color in the Summer as well. I always had two bloom cycles on the mexican primroses I grew, but noticed they didn't do that everywhere. They have those here, but they only bloom once a year.

Still working on my bathroom. I have to keep reminding myself how much money I am saving by doing this myself!

I admit it isn't the installation of the new stuff that is hard, it's the tearing out of the old stuff, replastering and just deciding what I am going to do. The design process is a bit more difficult than implementing it.

Oriana

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
WEEEE MONKEYS!!!!

Ok over them. Bunnies and dragons are of course the latest rage. Mama that is entirely toooooo cold for this desert rat. Too much white stuff. I can drive north and hour or too to see that, if I so desired (which I don't
)

Shard where in the southwest do you call home? In AZ here, near Phoenix. It's been a much wetter winter this year which is great, a bit on the cooler side, for a desert rat. But boy we needed a good rain since the monsoons have been nothing more than spits of water here and there for the past 2 years.

Faerr I love the longer growing season here too. Althought this year I even lost one of my aloes
. We've had several weeks of nightly temps dropping into the 20's and 30's. We're a good bit south of the big city so we get a good 10-20 degrees cooler than them. Not enough asphault i guess.

Oh and for those that care to know we're moving back into our old townhome, we so dearly loved, the end of April. This time to buy it!! Well rent to own but still will be OURS!! *does happy dance*

Time to go pack more. It's funny when we had to move, we were so pathetically slow packing cause we really didn't want to go, but this time it's yes, yes must pack more MMWWAAAHAHAAAAHHHHHAAAAAA!!!

Oh and proof Mama is a perv.......

S

shard

<blockquote><hr>

Shard where in the southwest do you call home?

[/ QUOTE ]

LA.

Lower Arkansas.

So that doesn't really count as the southwest. South, yes. West of the Mississippi, yes.

I live in a wonderland at the convergence of hillbillies, rednecks and cajuns.

Oriana

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ahh, sounds like where I grew up but instead of Cajuns we had Cubans. Man they make good food!!! Atlanta, GA, lived there most my life, after living in the desert can't make me go back!!

G

Roast pork, white rice, black beans, garlic gravy, fried bananas, and mojitos.

G

I did the bathroom thing a couple years ago. Faerr, and now I'm redoing anther one. Come on over and we'll tile together. As far as the trees go; we're trying to plant other types to see what will actually survive in our cold winters and hot summers. So far, the Aussie seems to be doing well. *crosses fingers*

Mama2, I'm sooooo happy to hear about the townhouse. You just keep packing those belongings and you'll be moved in no time. As far as me being a perv? I'm shocked! *snicker* You were moving too slow and I was bringing up the rear!

Shard, you nut. LA, indeed!
You know what they do to people with green mailboxes in LA??? *LOL*

Nok, that sounds like a recipe for extreme stomach and intestine problems.

S

shard

<blockquote><hr>

You know what they do to people with green mailboxes in LA???

[/ QUOTE ]

In my LA, they stop by the liquor store on their way to your house and pick up a 12 pack.

We scored a new Bun coffee maker in the breakroom!!! WOOOT!!!

Unfortunately, the new coffee maker was the highlight of my day. The rest of it pretty much suxxored.

G

Shard, you guys will love that Bunn. They're the greatest but one warning... make absolutely sure the coffee pot is in it's place BEFORE you pour the water in. If not, you'll be promoted to housekeeping quickly.
How do I know this? A friend told me. Yeah, that's it....a friend told me.

U

UOFaerr

I will second that one Shard. What a great mind he had, he is responsible for many hours of creativity expressed by people that played his game together. Many people I know that have played D&amp;D have played with the same group for decades. It's an amazing game plus the ripple effect in the lives of the players and their communities will always be felt.

Now on to bathrooms. Mama, I am almost finished. I am not tiling mine. I am removing tile and it is a painful process indeed. It has taken about 10 minutes of intense chiseling to get rid of 1 sq foot of grout. haha The bathroom where the tile is coming out is 5ft wide and about 10 feet in length. Subtract the cabinets and the tub from that space and the rest is what I have to remove. It's not an immense bathroom but it is a substantially large one and I do not want to pay for new flooring so I am going to either stain this concrete or paint it. The chisel work is hilariously exhausting so it's taking me a long time to get it finished. I'd make the kids do it but I worry they would damage the surface of the floor. When they complain about the floor I just tell them to hush and put on some socks. *whine whine whine*

I thought it would be fun to paint a design on it but then if i throw down rugs, that's going to clash and cover up all my hard work. The room is black red and white with antique reproduction hardware. The counter is a one inch thick butcher block surface that has been bar finished. I have sanded this down and given it a waxed surface to get rid of some of the gloss so I don't have to b*smack my kids over finger prints.

I just did not have the confidence in my skills to try the concrete. There is a point in working with concrete that you just know to level it and trowel it and I am not knowledgable enough. Now if I took a class on it or tried it out a few times I might get it but I don't want to do that and waste money. The wood will do fine and if it doesn't then I guess I will put something else in when that happens.

omfg it's uhm hailing outside right now.

okay back to bathrooms. I have to decide what to do in my master bathroom. I am thinking of an indian jewelry color scheme with turquoise, black and silver. It wouldn't go with the rest of the house but who cares. I'm using it.

Oh yeah Mama, if a Cottonwood tree can grow in Michigan, it can grow in your area. It's often extremely bitter cold there in the winter, then the water and ice coming in off the lakes and blech blech blech I will never live there again and you couldn't pay me enough. Okay well maybe you could pay me enough to live there, but I would spend it on a long winter vacation!

Cottonwoods are the cheap! I have had one that grew 5 foot in one season. But it may not grow as fast where it's cold. I agree the austrailian trees would prob do good since they have such an extreme climate there in some areas.

Well okay. I have got to get some stuff to do, and I will pm you with my bathroom pictures when I have more progress. I'd talk about UO or games or whatever but I am not playing anything at the moment. Between the gym, the kids, volunteering and painting I don't want to play any game that I have to 'work' to play it or be competitive.

Oriana

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh no Nok, No pork. Goat!! Believe it or not was really good. One of my good friends from Cuba knew of a lil place in a not so great part of town that had good Cuban food. She thought I'd never try it. Well my motto is always try everything once, at least with food. So it turned out every time she went down there she called me for my order lol.

S

shard

Goat roast at Oriana's!! She's gonna have a keg and everything!

I've got about 3 inches of snow on the ground. No spring for me just yet.....

Oriana

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pizza and beer is the best I can offer here LOL. No cuban in the AZ.

Or at least I haven't found a place yet. Off to pack some more. Have fun all!!

S

shard

*appears at Oriana's old place and finds it deserted*

*Shard relaxes and lets the ether wash over him*

Did ya'll check the new place for rodents?

Oh wait.....

No, I'm not the only one.....

Oriana

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Did ya'll check the new place for rodents?

Oh wait.....

No, I'm not the only one.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey leave my rugrats outta this!
Old place won't be deserted for 5-6 more weeks. Then the only rats will be the college kids that are moving in on mommy and daddy's ticket. Can't wait to be away from them!! Between the questionable smelling "cigarettes" and the wild parties and obnoxious comments, this complex is tired of me calling. But thats ok just a while longer and they can have this apt!!!

U

UOFaerr

<blockquote><hr>

Pizza and beer is the best I can offer here LOL. No cuban in the AZ.

Or at least I haven't found a place yet. Off to pack some more. Have fun all!!

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a place call the Havana Cafe in Awatuhkee.

I chuckle at the menu item 'cuban sandwich'. *falls over*

Oriana

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ohhh Thanks Faerr!! I'll have to go check that out. LOL a Cuban sandwich, that does sound kinda bad lol. About the same as "Hey, lets go have some Mexican". *rethinks the way I ask for things to eat now and shudders*

Ok back to packing!!

G

There are variations, but usually a Cuban sandwich is sort of like... an Italian panini.

Oriana

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ya a lil, but I love the Roast Goat with Pineapple and Peppers!! Now that was good!!

*makes note to call that place in the morning*

G

151 days or 3631 hours or 217879 minutes left until my hubby gets back home ...

*cry* and that is just a guess.. he wasn't given a set return date, just told "about 179 days".

Oriana

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*Hugs* It'll be ok. Just take care of those lil ones, and he'll be home before you know it.

G

LOL I am torn between .. "wow, a month has flown by" and "[censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] its ONLY been a month WTF"

(I typed in [censored] so I didn't really cuss :p)

Oriana

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ya uh huh. I believe you.

*Hands Pixie the mod soap*

LOL

Oriana

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just born today a healthy bouncing........

Here Shown with Ori's Youngest Daughter showing off her baby err...Home Econ project

G

Mama 2, those pictures reminded me of when my daughter was in Home Ec and they were required to either write a report on 'parenthood' OR bring home one of those computer dolls that cry and make you miserable for the week you have them. She chose to bring the doll home and we hadn't realized that the teacher had turned the setting on each of the dolls so that they were extremely fussy. Wouldn't you know, the week she had it was also graduation week for our oldest son and so we had company in the house. After just 2 nights of that doll from hell screaming at all hours of the night (and waking up our house guests), I called the teacher to explain the situation and find out if the report could be done instead. Our daughter decided, then and there, that she would remain childless throughout her life. It's been 7 years and she still doesn't want kids.
I think we would've loved having a sack of sugar around for a week. I could've made cookies!

S

shard

My daughter went thru one of those 'take the computer baby doll home for a week' programs and it had a great impact on her too. Of course, now I keep wondering when I am going to get a 'Dad, guess what?' call on the phone.

On to other news from LA..... Got the other curtains up in the living room this weekend. Cut down the bookcase thingies we have vcr tapes and dvds stored in so they would slide under the knick knack shelf thingie above the TV. Ordered a new vent hood to go over the new cooktop. It'll be here Thursday but I think we are going to visit my parents this weekend so I dunno when I'll install it.

A funny bit about going to see my folks. Roxie says the other day, "When are we going to go see your folks? Since I went to my Mom's over Christmas, I didn't go up then and we haven't been since. I miss them." I said that was interesting because it's not every day that you hear a wife say she misses her mother-in-law. Hehe. But out of the three daughter-in-laws in our family, Roxie is hands-down the favorite. She and my folks get along great, so I guess I'm pretty lucky there.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Cut down the bookcase thingies we have vcr tapes and dvds stored in so they would slide under the knick knack shelf thingie above the TV.

[/ QUOTE ]
You men and those thingies. I actually call them whatchamadingers.

And yes, you are very fortunate that your wife enjoys your parents. I actually love mine in small doses. They were here last week and it was great for the first 2 days but as they have no interests or hobbies, I was doomed as far as conversation beyond those 2 days. My mom always used to say "Some company is like fish. After 3 days, they start to stink". Mama knows best!

Oriana

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I adore my mother in law....when her new best friend and my father in law aren't around. I've always been the favorite of the three daughter in laws also. Although the newest one is getting used to the craziness and starting to fit in nicely. Not even going into the 3rd. She and I are alot a like but enough different to have stuff to talked about. LOL we have such similar tastes in deco and clothes, 2000 miles apart on 2 different days in between our weekly chats we bought the same dress and table cloth. Excitedly we both said on our weekly chat guess what i got!! LOL Talk about Laugh!!!

I'm so glad we only have a bouncing baby bag of sugar and not one of those screaming computer monsters. I want grandchildren someday!! I've heard too many stores of girls being scared off by those things. I want to be a real Mema one day!!!

G

*RTLFC*

Oh I'm -so- happy to not be a grandfather yet... that time will be here soon enough. Last thing I need for now is another reminder of my age. :p

Kitchen remodeling... ugh! Good luck and I hope it goes... quickly.

Men and their made up names for things. lol I'm terrible for doing that.

Oriana

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh I'm no where near ready to be a grandma yet, but look forward to it.... many years down the road. But I figure may as well have fun with the "sweet bundle" and help our daughters moral.

I'm just as bad about making up funny names for things so thats not just a guy thingy. Especially at the end of a crazy day!!

S

shard

I thought it would be sillier to call them adjustable shelf bookcases since they aren't holding books.

Thingies, thingamabobs, fixities (that one was actually gleaned from a PC case assembly diagram), doodad, thingamajig...... that's all that come to mind right now. Well, there are others but I saw the Mod soap being passed around.....

Status
Not open for further replies.