• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The Great 100% Poison Boomerang Experiment of 2012

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
hello.

my name is Poo.
you may remember me from such great posts such as "your loot, my snoop thief" and "beastial suit, the evil of all mans sins"

well today im here to talk to you all about making a 100% poison boomerang for training on a golem, or if your so inclined, making a 100% elemental damage throwing weapon for use in champs and the such.

im sure some of this is going to be review for the top end of crafters but i have been getting asked how i make my training boomerangs whenever im out training so i thought maybe id post a how to on how i make mine.

so here we go.

im sure we all know how hard getting a 100% poison boomerang (or cyclone) was before reforging.
if you could find one for sale youd be lucky if you could pick it up off a vendor for less then 5 or 6 mill.
i fondly remember them selling for 12 mill.

but here is how you can make one for under 1 mill.
or for no gold at all if your into BODS.

what your gonna need.

a blacksmith and imbuer.
a couple mid range runic hammers.

my Mule has 120 Blacksmithing and 120 Imbuing so that is who i used for this.
i then went out and picked up some mid range runic hammers.
copper work good.
bronze also works good.
i have yet to get a 100% weapon off a shadow or DC hammer.

so first off ya need to make up a couple boomerangs with normal iron.
i usualy go in batches of 10 or 20.

then you put one in your pack, you double click the runic hammer and then target the boomerang.

now you will see the reforging menu.

hit grand artiface
hit inspired artiface
hit choose name #1
hit exquisite / of quality

now your ready.

so hit reforge item.

it will hit it with the "exquisite / of quality" section and you will get one of the following (or a couple of them) added to your weapon;
  1. Durability,
  2. Lower Requirements,
  3. Elemental Damage,
  4. Mage Weapon,
  5. Velocity,
  6. Self Repair,
  7. Resists,
  8. Self Repair

and, funny enough, when i was making this picture i happened to make a 100% Fire one, haha

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
also

keep in mind that sometimes you wont get a 100% one.
you might get a 70 or 80 or 90% one.

if you do, remember that you can then enhance them to MAKE them 100%

i invested a couple hours today and skipped to all the north american shards and made a 100% nox boomerang on each shard so i can beef up my thrower should the mood take me.

silent

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nice work but here's the million gold question, if all i want is a 100% elemental weapon without any other mods added from reforging is that possible? It looks like you ended up with durability and velocity from your reforging. Is it just chance to only get elemental damage?

Also you mentioned that lower runics did not give you a 100%, but did they put you in range to enhance to 100%? If so would less mods follow by using a lower runic?

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
yes, you can get a weapon with JUST the elemental change.

its all random.

but the higher the hammer, the more the attributes you can get.
that said, you can of course get 3 or so attributes off a shadow hammer.

and the higher hammers give you a better chance at a 100%

now, lower hammers, so far i havnt had one pay off a 100% elemental yet.
but yes, they have gotten me close enough that i was able to enhance them to 100%

fire of course being the easiest.
im right this second pounding through the last of my shadow hammers on Baja.
got about 90 charges left, but so far no 100%, will be 10 hammers here at this sitting.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
my total elemental haul from Baja for the night.
think i was here for a hour, maybe 2 with server down.

im off to enhance the less then 100% ones.

E

elspeth

This is great Poo but how do you enhance to 100% poison and energy? I thought you could only use shadow or bronze to enhance fire or cold to 100%.

Also, I know other crafters used to burn dc hammers pre-reforging to get 100% elemental weapons with no other properties for imbuing into useable weapons. Is this new method much better for doing this now or would standard runic crafting still be viable if you don't want the extra properties?

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
energy you can enhance with copper to get 100
fire you can hit it with bronze
cold you can hit it with shadow
nox you can hit it with verite, but youll never get it to 100, it will cap at 90

that said, 90 isnt that bad for doing a golem, you can put some tinkering on your guy and tinker heal the golem as you train.

i have YET To get a 100% elemental off of DC or shadow.
im sure it CAN happen, but i havnt getten one yet.
copper is by far the best, i can usually get one or 2 100% off each copper hammer.
bronze is good, as well, but so far copper is the best for payout and cheapest for cost.

i have a couple bags of DC hammers laying around.
once im done i plan on sitting there one day and seeing if i can get a 100% off a DC.

but ya, if you want a naked 100% then the old way would probably be better.
but that is soooooooooooo rare.
im thinking back, i pulled one that way on sonoma then i know for sure that i didnt get another nox boomerang and i think at last count i was at like 300 hammers or some silly number like that.

i eventualy just took a 90% one and trained with that, haha

Gorbs

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow, that's fantastic information. It's a shame there is no official guide released with these updates that would explain such mechanics, but I suspect the development staff believes that normal game mechanics should behave luck puzzles so the players don't get bored too quickly.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
if you are having to work with a 90 percent, charm an arctic ogre lord with your weaver. I found it to be less costly and troublesome than trying to repair golems and throwing weaps.

Nice post Poo! Thx very much!

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Outstanding post, Poo! Thanks so much for taking the time with all the images and excellent detail.

:thumbup1:

U

UWstudent

Or, you can craft a fast swing speed 100% poison wep with the "use best wep" attribute and train any wep skill with it. Make sure the wep skill you're training is higher than any other wep skill you have. I've been using a 100% poison, use best wep butcher knife for the last 4 years. Of course powder of fort it when needed too ....

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
60%+ Fire (with the rest physical) can be enhanced to 100% fire with bronze.
80%+ Cold (with the rest physical) can be enhanced to 100% Cold with Shadow Iron.
70%+Cold (with the rest physical) can be enhanced to 100% cold with Agapite.
80%+ Energy (with the rest physical) can be enhanced to 100% Energy with Copper or Verite.

But, According to the Devs, and most people's experience, it's IMPOSSIBLE to enhance to 100% poison with any reliability. What few times it occurs, appears to be, in fact, a bug.

The Energy from Copper or Verite is ALWAYS SUPPOSED TO BE APPLIED FIRST, according to all dev comments, and and player testing going all the way back to the Dius Fidus guide from 2001 or earlier has confirmed these statements.

However, on very rare incidents, that have repeatedly proven to be impossible to replicate on demand, you MIGHT get the poison to apply first.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Or, you can craft a fast swing speed 100% poison wep with the "use best wep" attribute and train any wep skill with it. Make sure the wep skill you're training is higher than any other wep skill you have. I've been using a 100% poison, use best wep butcher knife for the last 4 years. Of course powder of fort it when needed too ....
Not archery or throwing.
Hence the thread.

silent

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just did some testing with this and from what I saw use shadow runics for fire or cold damage since they can be enhanced easily to 100% no sense in wasting gold on copper runics and you get less unwanted mods. I needed copper runics to get 100% poison and energy that was either 100% or at least 80% so I could enhance to 100%. One other thing to note is I got 100% chaos damage with copper runics as well.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
so no one has pulled a 100% off a shadow or DC hammer yet.

thats interesting.

silent

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In fact I never got anything better than a 60/40 split with 60 being the elemental damage with dull copper runic. Shadow gave me 70/30 and I think I got one 80/20. Copper gave me all the way up to 100% but I ended up smelting most since they came with crap mods.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
thats pretty much what i was finding as well

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Just a note, folks....

One of my discoveries is that if you have an iron weapon with elemental damage and no other properties other than exceptional DI (either from loot, or from before the changes to runics that made it a bonus property), you CAN reforge it.

Theoretically, if you have a looted item with x% poison and the rest of it all in physical (with no "real" properties), you might be able to reforge it with "of quality" and get a 100% poison items.

I've already reforged a couple of my 100% elemental loot items, though none of them going for "of quality"

U

UWstudent

Not archery or throwing.
Hence the thread.
fyi, you can still use a use best weapon, 100% poison wep to raise archery and/or throwing on a golem, hence my original post.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
fyi, no you can not.

the fighting skills are lumped into 4 groups.

melee (fencing, swords, mace)
wrestle
archery
throwing

you can not use UBWS to crosstrain any skill outside the melee one.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I played around with this method on TC this morning. I wasn't interested in making 100% poison throwing weapons, but rather on making 100% fire and 100% cold weapons for my sampire. I worked with both shadow and copper runic hammers.

I found that it takes quite a few tries to get elemental damage, but when it does come the shadow iron runic worked better. I never hit higher than 80% elemental damage, but there were fewer unwanted mods using the shadow hammer. I made a very nice Navrey annihilator bladed staff. I could have made some other cool items if I had imbuing ingredients for super slayers and void orbs. Needless to say, this method works for all metal weapons to get specific elemental damage types.

-OBSIDIAN-

U

UWstudent

fyi, no you can not.

the fighting skills are lumped into 4 groups.

melee (fencing, swords, mace)
wrestle
archery
throwing

you can not use UBWS to crosstrain any skill outside the melee one.

Wierd, my use magery wands raise magery when used as mellee too ...

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wierd, my use magery wands raise magery when used as mellee too ...
Those are Mage Weapons, not UBWS. Nothing strange about it at all; that's what they are designed to do.

UBWS only works on melee weapons, and it trains melee weapon skills (typically the highest unlocked one, if the one related to the weapon is locked). It doesn't use (or improve) throwing, archery or wrestling.

Mage Weapon works on all weapons, and it trains Magery if the Magery skill is unlocked, and the weapon skill for the item is locked.

The mechanics are similar, but not quite the same (after all, UBWS doesn't lower the skill used when equipped).

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just wondering if anything has changed since last February regarding this method of Reforging and the expected results?

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Never mind... I FINALLY DID IT! I now have a 100% Poison Boomerang for my new Thrower to train with...
And it only took about 150 charges from Copper Runics !

Lucivius

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just tried to enhance a reforged item (70% cold, 30% physical) using agapite. It was succesful, using forged metal tool. However, the cold damage was not applied. Maybe because it was imbued?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Silent: Cold can be gotten from agapite enhancing as well - in fact, 30% as opposed 20% from shadow iron. More than 30%, some of the 20% energy will start showing up too.

Lucivius: Try putting the item in a container, logging out, shutting down UO, and restarting.It's a known 10+ year bug that sometimes enhanced weapons don't display their revised properties until you completely refresh how you client is tracking it. I've actually seen enhancements that should have changed the color of an item, seem to not work until I left the game and came back.

Thunderz

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Silent: Cold can be gotten from agapite enhancing as well - in fact, 30% as opposed 20% from shadow iron. More than 30%, some of the 20% energy will start showing up too.

Lucivius: Try putting the item in a container, logging out, shutting down UO, and restarting.It's a known 10+ year bug that sometimes enhanced weapons don't display their revised properties until you completely refresh how you client is tracking it. I've actually seen enhancements that should have changed the color of an item, seem to not work until I left the game and came back.
I had that the other day when i reforged a bow, it wasnt showing it had be reforged but i got the message it had and when trying again i coldnt. so i restarted UO and it fixed it.

Thunderz

Lucivius

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

It worked when I logged back in. Thanks for the advice.

Lord Kotan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
also

keep in mind that sometimes you wont get a 100% one.
you might get a 70 or 80 or 90% one.

if you do, remember that you can then enhance them to MAKE them 100%

i invested a couple hours today and skipped to all the north american shards and made a 100% nox boomerang on each shard so i can beef up my thrower should the mood take me.
I know this is old.. I tried enhancing, but it didn't change any of the mods enhanced with vertie

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
I believe you can't add poison damage by enhancing. Verity ingots should increase energy damage.

Scott

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Very grateful for this post. I was working on a 100% poison bladed staff for my sampire and was getting really frustrated with shadow iron and bronze runics not giving me the needed item. After reading this I realized I should try copper runic instead. 3 hits later I am sitting here with a clean 100% poison bladed staff - thank you for your post!

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
now, lower hammers, so far i havnt had one pay off a 100% elemental yet.
but yes, they have gotten me close enough that i was able to enhance them to 100%

How high should the elemental damage be to then be able to succesfully enhance it to the wanted 100% ?