• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The elusive.. Blaze Cu...

Speedy Orkit

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How did you people farm these up? I've considered getting on my sampire and just farming them for about 2 hours a day... once a blaze pops, come back on tamer and snag em up... does this work?

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Karma could become a problem when kill the Cus by yourself. When I have a go on them, i am just taking my tamer. Once a Cu is tamed, i let it attack something stronger and release it during that fight. But I have to leave the place, when all normal Cus are replaced by paragons.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Back when I did that sort of thing, I did exactly that.

My sampire killed them (paragons were no problem), and my tamer was standing by to tame when needed. I left my tamer logged out in the entrance area in Ilshenar so I would only need to run my Sampire out and log out quickly. It was more handy when I had two accounts.

I never found that blaze cu and gave up after a few weeks.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My char of choice for the cus has always been a provo/disco tamer. She provos the spawn (all of it when it's quiet), but if something good spawns she has enough taming to grab it. I tend to max out karma on ballies then go in and have a massacre. I can switch to taming the pups if I want to stick around a bit longer.

The only downside is it still seems to attract curious onlookers and those who think you'll provo and kill the spawn so they can tame the good pups. So often my provo stops if other tamers are around ;)

Wenchy

N

Ncdiablo

The best way to farm these is with your tamer. No karma issue.

Tame the plain ones and after it is tamed take it over to swoop and send it in to kill it. Then immediately release the pet. It dies and you can loot it. You also get the bag with the bandages that ranges from a few up to around 18.

You can also throw them against a paragon cu sidhe and release for the same results.

Once you tame one the new one pops moments later so by the time you release you can be ready to tame the next one.

You make your gold, you can up your bandage count, but don't hold your breath on seeing a blaze. it is incredibly rare.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
These days its even easier than it used to be. Just tame the pups, take them out the door and release them in the cave. Once you're done with farming the puppies, grab your bard and go do some training, or leave them for some other lucky bard.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just remember to not leave wild pups where folks don't want them - like the spawn area... I really want to thwap lazy tamers who tame and release cus and leave someone else to sort the mess out :D

As for karma... well the speed I turn spawn over justifies the need for occasional top ups for me. I don't have time for hours of cu taming these days, so I like short bursts of spawning. You can stay in there quite a long time if you combine disco/provo killing with taming. Especially if you raise karma by taking out the changelings and such. I find a mix of both methods works well. I often use a fresh tamed pup to help kill the wild ones and take care of changelings. Swoop joins the party too if nobody's killing him.

Wenchy

E

Etoh

i always have trouble with the changelings... what is the best way to kill them as a GM tamer/lore/vet/magery?

also, if i anger the cu sidhe they are really lethal and kill me in 2 swipes.. >_<

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
i always have trouble with the changelings... what is the best way to kill them as a GM tamer/lore/vet/magery?

also, if i anger the cu sidhe they are really lethal and kill me in 2 swipes.. >_<
Your best bet with the changelings is to sic a tamed cu sidhe on them. As for the cu sidhe killing you, that's just practice and learning how to keep yourself the right distance away from them, and compensate for any lag you may experience. Generally you start close to start the tame, then move a few squares away while they chase you and you finish the tame. If you can manage to get an invis spell in on yourself you can break their aggression.

It's important to have high energy and cold resist when you are working with them.

E

Etoh

Your best bet with the changelings is to sic a tamed cu sidhe on them. As for the cu sidhe killing you, that's just practice and learning how to keep yourself the right distance away from them, and compensate for any lag you may experience. Generally you start close to start the tame, then move a few squares away while they chase you and you finish the tame. If you can manage to get an invis spell in on yourself you can break their aggression.

It's important to have high energy and cold resist when you are working with them.
okay, thanks! i have to practice more for sure!

xxmoondancerxx

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am a para tamer, I have 115 eval 115 magery 120 taming 120 lore. So my secret to a fast tame without getting the bite is....

Make 3 hotkeys
1 paralyze
2 tame (tap that key about 6 times gives you enough time to either run away and para again or invis)
3 invisibility

I just count my taps with the tames can be quite theraputic lol...make sure you have enough mana and mana reg for all that. I have about 165.

As far as ever seeing a blaze cu I wishhhh Ive been taming for a long time now and never seen 1. I have every color under the UO sun except that one. I wish!! *dreams*

N

Ncdiablo

When I returned back to the game about 2 months ago I started taming cu sidhe's (after converting my tamer to an elf). Unfortunately my gear was 10 years old and embarassingly shoddy. Cu Sidhe's would one shot me. I went through a bunch of faceplants but it helped me to relearn lead taming. Now my gear is better (still not great armor) but yes now it takes them 2 -3 times to kill me but due to my lead taming skills gained from the earlier face plant days they rarely get to tag me.

Everyone saying leave them in the cave confuses me. The only reason i would do that is to allow a bard to gain skills if they wanted to do so.

If no bard is around wanting to do so. Throw it at swoop or a paragon and release. It kills the cu sidhe and you can loot it afterward and no penalty to Karma. I racked up 80k or more some decent items, parrots, spells and such that helped me get back on my feet and it wasn't any slower then taking the cu sidhe out to the cave to sit there. Making money while trying to get the cu sidhe I want.... priceless.

E

Etoh

I am a para tamer, I have 115 eval 115 magery 120 taming 120 lore. So my secret to a fast tame without getting the bite is....

Make 3 hotkeys
1 paralyze
2 tame (tap that key about 6 times gives you enough time to either run away and para again or invis)
3 invisibility

I just count my taps with the tames can be quite theraputic lol...make sure you have enough mana and mana reg for all that. I have about 165.

As far as ever seeing a blaze cu I wishhhh Ive been taming for a long time now and never seen 1. I have every color under the UO sun except that one. I wish!! *dreams*
thanks, great tip!

so you first paralyze the cu sidhe? then go near it and start trying to tame it while it is paralyzed, then in about 6 taps the paralyze will wear off so i should be ready to run and then i use invisibility to hide and repeat process.. is this correct?

i saw a very light blue one the other day... does this count as a blue cu sidhe? or are there much more darker blue cu sidhe's? the one i saw was very very very faint light blue... it looked almost grey.

Etoh

E

Etoh

When I returned back to the game about 2 months ago I started taming cu sidhe's (after converting my tamer to an elf). Unfortunately my gear was 10 years old and embarassingly shoddy. Cu Sidhe's would one shot me. I went through a bunch of faceplants but it helped me to relearn lead taming. Now my gear is better (still not great armor) but yes now it takes them 2 -3 times to kill me but due to my lead taming skills gained from the earlier face plant days they rarely get to tag me.

Everyone saying leave them in the cave confuses me. The only reason i would do that is to allow a bard to gain skills if they wanted to do so.

If no bard is around wanting to do so. Throw it at swoop or a paragon and release. It kills the cu sidhe and you can loot it afterward and no penalty to Karma. I racked up 80k or more some decent items, parrots, spells and such that helped me get back on my feet and it wasn't any slower then taking the cu sidhe out to the cave to sit there. Making money while trying to get the cu sidhe I want.... priceless.
you're right, this makes more sense instead of leaving them in the cave (unless you want to train bard skills as you mentioned)... why not make money at same time!

Etoh

Mark Trail

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I believe that taking them just outside Twisted Weald is not good enough. To force a respawn they need to go out of Ilshenar, or at least over to the pixie/harpy area on the right side.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I believe that taking them just outside Twisted Weald is not good enough. To force a respawn they need to go out of Ilshenar, or at least over to the pixie/harpy area on the right side.
That changed not too long ago. They actually will respawn as soon as you tame them, without moving them anywhere.

xxmoondancerxx

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
thanks, great tip!

so you first paralyze the cu sidhe? then go near it and start trying to tame it while it is paralyzed, then in about 6 taps the paralyze will wear off so i should be ready to run and then i use invisibility to hide and repeat process.. is this correct?

i saw a very light blue one the other day... does this count as a blue cu sidhe? or are there much more darker blue cu sidhe's? the one i saw was very very very faint light blue... it looked almost grey.

Etoh
Yes but make sure ur eval is high because your going to need the cu to stay para for at least those six taps. After that six tap either walk like 5 steps away and cast para again or just invis yourself they dont attack after the invis regardless if you got the tame or not.
So Para
tap 6 times
(if no tame invis)( if taming invis definitely)
hope that helps

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
There's a problem with para taming. As long as your pet is going to have max skills of 100, you are ok to use it, but if your pet will have skills over 100 after taming, then it permanently makes them lower. Now, for the older pets, like the nightmare, regular dragon and white wyrm, this isn't a problem, because they never had skills over 100. But for the newer pets, even if they don't have any skills that you can see that are over 100, this is a problem, because you can't see all a pet's skills on the pet gump (information window), those are really only the basic skills.

Now obviously, if you have no intention of keeping a pet, then para taming is fine.

xxmoondancerxx

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There's a problem with para taming. As long as your pet is going to have max skills of 100, you are ok to use it, but if your pet will have skills over 100 after taming, then it permanently makes them lower. Now, for the older pets, like the nightmare, regular dragon and white wyrm, this isn't a problem, because they never had skills over 100. But for the newer pets, even if they don't have any skills that you can see that are over 100, this is a problem, because you can't see all a pet's skills on the pet gump (information window), those are really only the basic skills.

Now obviously, if you have no intention of keeping a pet, then para taming is fine.
The skill is not perm you can raise them by training if your talking about resists or stats the system gives you a new message that says since your cu has been subdude it lost it stats/resists something to that extent. I have sweet Cus that never lost stat just needed to train them up.

So para taming is fine.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
The skill is not perm you can raise them by training if your talking about resists or stats the system gives you a new message that says since your cu has been subdude it lost it stats/resists something to that extent. I have sweet Cus that never lost stat just needed to train them up.

So para taming is fine.
After taming you normally lose 10% permanently on all skills. With some of the high slot tameables, such as hiryus, greater dragons, cu sidhe and reptalons, you also lose 50% on all stats except intelligence. With skills the new skill cap is either 90% of the pretame skill level, or 100, whichever is higher. However, if you use paralyze at any point during the tame it will lower the skills by 14% permanently.

Most skills only train back up to 100, so for most skills para taming has no long term effect, and this is true of all of the skills on the old tameables, such as nightmares, regular dragons and white wyrms, however with some of the newer tameables, such as greater dragons, rune beetles, hiryus and reptalons, there are certain skills for which 90% of the pretame skill level can actually be over 100, and that is the new skill cap. For those skills, if you para tame, the new skill cap will actually be 86% of the pretame skill level.

Now this is all complicated by the fact that you don't see all the skills on the pet lore gump. Skrees for example have mysticism, which doesn't show on the pet lore gump, but my guess is just about every tameable out there has skills that can be developed that won't show on the pet lore gump. This isn't a big deal for the old tameables, as previously mention, but for every tameable from Samurai Empire on, and this includes cu sidhe's, there is a chance that some skills may have caps higher than 100, and some of the skills may be hidden skills.

So basically, if you want to keep any newer pet, you should never para tame. You may end up weakening your pet permanently in ways you might not even be aware of.

xxmoondancerxx

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
After taming you normally lose 10% permanently on all skills. With some of the high slot tameables, such as hiryus, greater dragons, cu sidhe and reptalons, you also lose 50% on all stats except intelligence. With skills the new skill cap is either 90% of the pretame skill level, or 100, whichever is higher. However, if you use paralyze at any point during the tame it will lower the skills by 14% permanently.

Most skills only train back up to 100, so for most skills para taming has no long term effect, and this is true of all of the skills on the old tameables, such as nightmares, regular dragons and white wyrms, however with some of the newer tameables, such as greater dragons, rune beetles, hiryus and reptalons, there are certain skills for which 90% of the pretame skill level can actually be over 100, and that is the new skill cap. For those skills, if you para tame, the new skill cap will actually be 86% of the pretame skill level.

Now this is all complicated by the fact that you don't see all the skills on the pet lore gump. Skrees for example have mysticism, which doesn't show on the pet lore gump, but my guess is just about every tameable out there has skills that can be developed that won't show on the pet lore gump. This isn't a big deal for the old tameables, as previously mention, but for every tameable from Samurai Empire on, and this includes cu sidhe's, there is a chance that some skills may have caps higher than 100, and some of the skills may be hidden skills.

So basically, if you want to keep any newer pet, you should never para tame. You may end up weakening your pet permanently in ways you might not even be aware of.
Im not arguing with you but you keep saying skills, skills cap out at 100 on Cu's trained. Ive never seen anything higher. Are you saying that by para taming after training I am losing 14% permenantly on my *skills* and it will never be pure 100's across the board? I beg to differ on that if thats what you mean, because I have all my pet Cu's train at 100 from a para tame.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Im not arguing with you but you keep saying skills, skills cap out at 100 on Cu's trained. Ive never seen anything higher. Are you saying that by para taming after training I am losing 14% permenantly on my *skills* and it will never be pure 100's across the board? I beg to differ on that if thats what you mean, because I have all my pet Cu's train at 100 from a para tame.
I don't think you've read what I posted carefully. What I'm saying is that there may be skills which don't show on the pet lore gump, which could possibly be over 100, which would be lowered permanently by para taming. They wouldn't be lowered permanently under 100, but if they happen to be over 100 after taming, their cap would be permanently lowered by para taming. One such possible example is the parry skill.

xxmoondancerxx

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't think you've read what I posted carefully. What I'm saying is that there may be skills which don't show on the pet lore gump, which could possibly be over 100, which would be lowered permanently by para taming. They wouldn't be lowered permanently under 100, but if they happen to be over 100 after taming, their cap would be permanently lowered by para taming. One such possible example is the parry skill.
Alright I understand that because my greater is that way, but I dont see where it fits the Cu...Not matter I still para tame it!rolleyes:

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Alright I understand that because my greater is that way, but I dont see where it fits the Cu...Not matter I still para tame it!rolleyes:
That's entirely your choice, but I think para taming is a bad habit to get into as a tamer. It's a crutch that you don't need. You're far better off to learn how to lead tame well, so that you can lead tame greater dragons, for example, solo, without using honour.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not putting you down. I para tamed for years, until I figured out that it might have unexpected consequences. And now I think that if you really want to be a high end tamer, para taming is something you shouldn't be doing.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Another good example, is the "Focus" skill. Every single creature in the game has the "Focus" skill, at varying levels, and they can gain in it through regenerating Stam/Mana. You can take 2 pets with the same Stats/Meditation, and one will regenerate Stam/Mana faster than the other. That's their hidden "Focus" skill. If you take a freshly tamed Skree, and compare the damage of his Mysticism spells to the damage of a trained Skree's Mysticism spells, you'll see a noticeable difference. Focus is like the "Eval Int" for Mysticism.
"Detect Hidden" is another hidden skill, the SE creatures, particularly Rune Beetles, seem to have a high amount of it, they can pretty reliably reveal hidden people with the "Reveal" spell.

Anyways, how i farm for Cu Sidhes is i hop on my Necro/Swordsman (Not a Sampire or Whammy, since he doesn't have Bushido or Chiv), i go into Wraith Form for Mana Leech, and use Curse Weapon along with my Defiler of Virtue (Fey Slayer, Cu Sidhes are weak to it). I also sit my Bard/Mage on another account there, and have her Discord the Cu Sidhes. Between the Disco and Defiler, i do 100-120 damage a hit to the Cu Sidhes, and i can Double Strike for 200+ damage (Healing me for 100+ Health/Mana with Curse Weapon/Wraith Form). They generally die within 6 seconds, or 5 Double Strike abilities. Karma isn't an issue, since my Necro/Swordsman already has the lowest amount of Karma possible in game, -32,000.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Another good example, is the "Focus" skill. Every single creature in the game has the "Focus" skill, at varying levels, and they can gain in it through regenerating Stam/Mana. You can take 2 pets with the same Stats/Meditation, and one will regenerate Stam/Mana faster than the other. That's their hidden "Focus" skill. If you take a freshly tamed Skree, and compare the damage of his Mysticism spells to the damage of a trained Skree's Mysticism spells, you'll see a noticeable difference. Focus is like the "Eval Int" for Mysticism.
"Detect Hidden" is another hidden skill, the SE creatures, particularly Rune Beetles, seem to have a high amount of it, they can pretty reliably reveal hidden people with the "Reveal" spell.
It really is a fascinating question, and I wish they'd show all a pet's skills on the pet lore gump. I first figured it out years ago when I noticed that the barding difficulty of pets continued to climb after they were supposedly fully trained. The only possible explanation was that they were still gaining in certain skills that trained more slowly than others that weren't being shown on the pet lore gump.

kitiara-atlantic

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It really is a fascinating question, and I wish they'd show all a pet's skills on the pet lore gump. I first figured it out years ago when I noticed that the barding difficulty of pets continued to climb after they were supposedly fully trained. The only possible explanation was that they were still gaining in certain skills that trained more slowly than others that weren't being shown on the pet lore gump.
Thanks for this, Llewen - I never realized pets had gump-hidden skills, but it makes perfect sense (and I've often wondered about the same barding difficulty changes, but never took the time to think through it). I feel enlightened :)