• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The Dragoon (Bushido Paladin V.2.3)

StealYourFace

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Ok these question might have been asked but ill admit I didn't read all 7 pages of this . Has anyone tried this build using a mace templet? If so I've got a few questions.

1. I'm not seeing any 2 handed armor ignore mace weapons. How much would it gimp your healing with confidence to use a 1 handed mace wep for armor ignore with a reduced chance to parry? I tried to find the % chance to parry with a 1 handed wep compared to a 2 handed but couldn't .

2. Does protection reduce your casting speed for chiv spells? If so would it be better to just run 0/6 casting?

3. Mace's have the stagger ability. I've noticed that people are putting hit fatigue on their swords weps for some encounters which basically does the same thing as stagger. How does hit fatigue compare with stagger and is it worth it to use mace over swords to free up a mod on a weapon?

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1) There are no two handed AI for mace. 120 Bushido/ 120 Parry is 35% for one handed and 40% for two handed as long as Dex is above 80. UO Stratics - Parrying

2) Yes it doese, but casting can't be interrupted. No 0/6 is not better because you can be interrupted.

3) You can drain stamina faster with both. Which is important with Boss Mobs... Peerless etc

StealYourFace

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I guess I worded #2 wrong. If your 2/6 casting and cast protection it drops you to 0/6 but you cant be interrupted. Does having 0/6 and adding protection drop you to -2/6 or does it just keep you at 0/6?

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry was in the process of editing my reply to you.

StealYourFace

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
No problem, I appreciate your help. Now that I know that I don't need FC1 on my jewelry it opens up a lot of options in making a suit for this templet.

StealYourFace

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Protection doesn't directly reduces your FC. It reduces your FC cap. For chivalry spells FC cap is 4. With Protection FC cap is 2. So having 2 FC is better than having 1 FC. And if you have 3 FC you cast as with just 2 FC.
Ok , I was under the impression it reduced your casting by 2. I tested it out and saw no difference in time to cast so I guess its good I asked before I started building suit.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I've been studying this thread, have the 6 x 20 template, need to build armor, particularly for blackthorn captains.
I'm thinking of not using refinements for extra resists so I could have more DCI.
How would that work out?
Also, can I overcap DCI to compensate for the -20 loss with DF?
Sorry if this has already been answered; if so, I missed it
Thanks

Last edited:

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I've been studying this thread, have the 6 x 20 template, need to build armor, particularly for blackthorn captains.
I'm thinking of not using refinements for extra resists so I could have more DCI.
How would that work out?
Also, can I overcap DCI to compensate for the -20 loss with DF?
Sorry if this has already been answered; if so, I missed it
Thanks
For blackthorn captains, you might prefer to go with a pure paladin with healing. Healing from leeching can be very inconsistent there against some of the captains, and won't work at all against the necromancer and the assassin captains.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I tried the paladin with bushido confidence and honor (it kicked in sometimes) and close wounds the other night - killed the fey spawn and an assassin and a swordsman but had to back off more than I would like because of mana problems
(with assassin I didn't use HLL weapon and healed with confidence and close wounds)
I tried healing but had to back off even more - maybe because healing is only 100?
But this was with my old basic paladin suit, so back to the armor I'm anxious to start making - does it make sense to skip refinements so I can keep the DCI?

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
On my paladin, I am running 20 DCI. It is not much of a problem, really. 45 DCI might be better against the heavy hitters like the fencer and the tanky macer, though.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Thanks. Hm, hard choice - a little higher resists or a little higher DCI? My inclination is the higher DCI, just so I don't have to mess with refinements

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
On my paladin, I am running 20 DCI. It is not much of a problem, really. 45 DCI might be better against the heavy hitters like the fencer and the tanky macer, though.
Against the hardcore melee only captains, you're better off to refine fire, cold, poison, and energy down by 5 each, and figure out a way to have 65 DCI.

Duncan Drake

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I dont
Thanks. Hm, hard choice - a little higher resists or a little higher DCI? My inclination is the higher DCI, just so I don't have to mess with refinements
More dci wont be easy to get. Armor is already reforged with hci and dci other arties wont help either.

So there are only 3 choices left. Ring, bracelet, weapon. But you will need the other stats so i fear you Need some legendaries here

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Fair point. I get 15 of my DCI from my shield, which most folks don't wear...

Duncan Drake

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are some hard bt cpts. I killed lots with this template. My problem was not getting hit it was not being able to hit them myself. Really annoying if attack after attack misses or is parried. I dont know if more dci makes a difference here.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Good point, that was my experience too with my current suit. Miss several times and have to back off to heal, a little disappointing. They die but not as fast as I hoped. Actually the only way I was considering more DCI was skipping refining. I don't know, maybe this is as good as it gets for me in Blackthorn.

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Currently the only build that are particularly well equipped deal with a monster with 200 WS are casters... but I don't see how doing 15k damage 10 at a time with fireballs is a viable option in there either, unless you can get them hung up somehow. Not that just standing in 1 spot machine-gunning fireballs for 20 minutes is enjoyable either.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Mêlée ones have 160 weapon skill, so yeah, I don't think DCI will help much there.
I have 120 parry and a shield with reactive paralysis, which helps a bit. Truly, the only captain I have trouble is the fencer because it deals just way too much damage. On my 74 physical + exceptional barding swamp dragon, one her attacks still deal 60 damage. If the barding expires, that damage goes to 75, with a single hit.

The others is just a matter of paying attention when to retreat a bit to heal and to cast divine fury to refresh stamina.

Duncan Drake

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Against these im often out of mana because i have to frequently use confidence and cannot leech.

It helps running down to the Gold Elemental room "refuel" and get back. In the end i always kill them but it needs a while

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
This discussion helps, thanks. I think my expectations were too high, hoping to be able just to stand toe to toe with these guys without backing off.

Duncan Drake

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Some people don't want to play a sampire. The dragoon is an alternative and has some advantages. But this thread is not for discussing which one is the better template. Its all about the dragoon template and gear. Comparing templates should be done in another thread.

P.S. Ok the post I quoted seems to have been deleted. Anyway I leave the statement. If anyone wants to discuss the pros and cons of other templates opens another thread please.

Last edited:

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I get your point there and am using your template at the moment but think it might be helpful if you mentioned any situations where you don't use it and switch to sampire instead - or did you already mention that? It's always helpful to know the limits of a template as well as the strengths.

Duncan Drake

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well i never had to switch back to a sampire template. The dragoon template has its problems with monsters that do have a tainted life aura and hit hard, like osireidon. There you might need healing. But this is the same for sampires.

I dont know how it works with the roof bosses. I havent tried it yet (im stuck with fallout 4 right now ^^)

The rest is fine. You can solo most peerlesses and champion spawns. And you can do all cpts in blackthorn dungeon though some of them might need a while but all are doable.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Good to know. I've killed both the Blackthorn assassin and the necromancer with the template, without healing. They're not all that tough that you can't keep up with just confidence, close wounds and an occasional potion, although I did have to back off to heal every few minutes.

joevine

Visitor
Dexxers don't usually run slither because not a lot of dexxers spam DF. You can get 45% HCI, 35%DCI(after refinement), 100%DI, and 35%SSI on your armor thus eliminating the need for Divine Fury and FC/FCR. Spaming chiv spells seem to slow down my DPS and takes up mana so I completely dropped casting anything other than confidence and the occasional heal when I wiffed a few too many times (bosses with 200+ wrestling...) It all comes down to playstyle though so yours is certainly a nice alternative to the typical sampire build.

One other note, you imbued resist on your suit 5 times. Why not find a nice legendary with 20/18/17/18/17 resist? That's what I did and I only imbued resist once. That means all my crafted armor pieces have +5 HP instead. This will also let you add 8 LMC to all your armor so you don't waste a value ring/bracelet imbue for it, which is what you currently have.

Have you soloed Belfry without running off the platform? That's my current goal and I'm tinkering with different builds/gear to try to achieve it. I'm half way there (got it to 50% before running off) so it would be interesting to see if any other melee builds might work better for that encounter.

In any case, thanks for sharing and its nice to see alternatives. I think my next toon will be a thief so I can get those darn refinements. =)

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Have you soloed Belfry without running off the platform? That's my current goal and I'm tinkering with different builds/gear to try to achieve it. I'm half way there (got it to 50% before running off) so it would be interesting to see if any other melee builds might work better for that encounter.
I just have with my newly minted Dragoon. I did bring a bard for support so the Dragon was discoed and I had peace songs going. Not sure if I would have been able to do it without the bard, but with the bard it wasn't challenging.
I am a big fan of soulstones so I alternate skills depending if I have a slayer or now. If a slayer is available, I find that even 120 Chiv does not add to damage and isn't necessary apart from utility. So I run with Swords, Tact, Anat, Bush, Parry, and Resist - all at 120. If no slayer is available I can swap Anat or Resist for Chivalry.
So far I like the template better then a Samp. I find tanking is about the same. Technically HLL should get less hp than Vamp embrace, but that's assuming I am doing the same damage. My Dragoon can do quite a bit more damage than the Samp ever could.
I love the fact that I don't need to put skills on jewels anymore. As someone already pointed out in this forum, you want to use elemental weapons with onslaught and doublestrikes. It does more damage than plain AI, and your leaching is much steadier.
The downside is that you now lose one slot on your weapon (HLL). So it would really help if you have all the SSI and DI you need on your suit, especially for bosses where you want to have HLA/HLD and hit fatigue on the weapon. It's not that hard or expensive to have 100% DI on your suit OR SSI. It becomes really expensive when you try to have both :). The template is still plenty viable without these perks.

Last edited:

Tabin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I just have with my newly minted Dragoon. I did bring a bard for support so the Dragon was discoed and I had peace songs going. Not sure if I would have been able to do it without the bard, but with the bard it wasn't challenging.
I am a big fan of soulstones so I alternate skills depending if I have a slayer or now. If a slayer is available, I find that even 120 Chiv does not add to damage and isn't necessary apart from utility. So I run with Swords, Tact, Anat, Bush, Parry, and Resist - all at 120. If no slayer is available I can swap Anat or Resist for Chivalry.
So far I like the template better then a Samp. I find tanking is about the same. Technically HLL should get less hp than Vamp embrace, but that's assuming I am doing the same damage. My Dragoon can do quite a bit more damage than the Samp ever could.
I love the fact that I don't need to put skills on jewels anymore. As someone already pointed out in this forum, you want to use elemental weapons with onslaught and doublestrikes. It does more damage than plain AI, and your leaching is much steadier.
The downside is that you now lose one slot on your weapon (HLL). So it would really help if you have all the SSI and DI you need on your suit, especially for bosses where you want to have HLA/HLD and hit fatigue on the weapon. It's not that hard or expensive to have 100% DI on your suit OR SSI. It becomes really expensive when you try to have both :). The template is still plenty viable without these perks.
Yea, its easy mode if you have a bard in your party that can disco it and give you the peacemaking buff. I play this game on a single account so I don't have that of luxury of solo multiclienting. I have single-account soloed it many times but I will always have to run off on occasion when I get hit + fireballed. I think I could do better if I knew how to run/walk back properly. I just go North then south over and over but I get some major rubberbanding. Watching the youtube video of BearCorpse...it looks like he barely rubberbands and he walks in circles. Sounds like dropping chiv for resist is the way to go though. Like you said, its useless in this battle. Just gotta run back and soulstone chiv for roof.

Definitely hear ya on the gear. I'm running 100% DI and max SSI on my suit. Weapon is HLD, HML, HLL, HSL, Dragon slayer with VE up. Could drop HLL for HLA. Not sure if it would help that much though.

Last edited:

Ford Taunus

Sage
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Few questions:

1) As you use plate in set. Does chain & ringmail parts have same LMC and Stamina bonuses than Plate? (Just different recists)
2) If I have use skill masteries should I use: Bushido, Swords or Parry masteries?
3) Does samurai plate work.. as it is mediable in exceptional or is is total waste for Dragoon?
4) You prefeer 2-handed axe with onslaught over AI weapon nowadays
5) Does this template work on elf good?

Last edited:

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Few questions:

1) As you use plate in set. Does chain & ringmail parts have same LMC and Stamina bonuses than Plate? (Just different recists)
2) If I have use skill masteries should I use: Bushido, Swords or Parry masteries?
3) Does samurai plate work.. as it is mediable in exceptional or is is total waste for Dragoon?
4) You prefeer 2-handed axe with onslaught over AI weapon nowadays
5) DOes this template work on elf goof?
Lower Mana Cost - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia

Swords mastery.

There are some things that you're still better off using AI than Double Strike.

Makes no difference what race the character is.

Ford Taunus

Sage
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There are some things that you're still better off using AI than Double Strike.

Makes no difference what race the character is.
Okis.

Could you tell what things are better to take down with AI than 100% elemental double strike axe with Onslaught?

If I go with elf I can still cast for example protection from scroll (without skills items)? I cannot see reason to go with human... have you?

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Okis.

Could you tell what things are better to take down with AI than 100% elemental double strike axe with Onslaught?

If I go with elf I can still cast for example protection from scroll (without skills items)? I cannot see reason to go with human... have you?
Not an exhaustive list no, that would be too time consuming, there is discussion (probably in this thread, or near the top of this forum, as it is quite a recent topic) of which situations it is better to use AI. Anything where the resists are still high after Onslaught or where you otherwise can't do sufficient damage to continuously leech. I would say Rikktor and Neira are good examples to start with.

I wouldn't permanently use Protection on anything other than a Mystic/Dexxer hybrid.

But that aside, I don't see any reason to be an elf over a human, as an elf you get 20 mana, which is irrelevant as you're leeching, and night sight which isn't hard to get (Nocturne earrings). What you also get is less carrying weight for items/potions/gold/loot etc. You lose MR & SR which although is semi irrelevant as you're leeching, is still more useful than 20 mana which can be thought of more as an increased mana cap than extra mana to use (as once it's gone it's gone), for instance if you just got res'd which is more useful; 20 Focus/Med at regaining some Mana/Stam so you can heal/refresh yourself to full ready to fight again (before needing the potential danger of hitting something to leech I mean), or an increased cap with no regen? I also like it for JOAT Hiding, JOAT Animal Lore, JOAT Inscription on characters that go in and out of Protection (casters), JOAT Magery, JOAT Necro for forms can be handy, JOAT Ninjitsu for forms can be handy. Aesthetically humans also look better to me. Plus there's no actual need for being an elf for elf only armour either because anyone can wear Morph Earrings. To me there is no reason to be an elf, but there are reasons to be a human.

Ford Taunus

Sage
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
One more question about those rings & bracelest.. Can it be "Priced" or does "priced" property take 1 slot.. as I got 4 free after it?

Ford Taunus

Sage
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why to use double axe and not two handed axe on Stamnia 180+ and SSI 35+?.. I think damage is lot better in double strike in 2-handed axe?

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
When you fight against group you use WW. When you fight 1vs1 against a big boss to keep 180+ stamina most of the time during the fight you need 200+ max stamina (or even 215+).

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
When you fight against group you use WW. When you fight 1vs1 against a big boss to keep 180+ stamina most of the time during the fight you need 200+ max stamina (or even 215+).

Ford Taunus

Sage
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What bushido "spells" you use with this build just confidence? Or is other usefull or just waste of mana.

Ford Taunus

Sage
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Need ask main reason for 2/6 :).. I think I cast close wounds very rarely.. so what is main reason for 2/6 in this template?

Should I use close wounds more often or is that 2/6 for something else?

Last edited:

Val Van Wolf

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I just started turning an old character into a dragoon. She has the six skills, 3 of which are at 100 or more, the other 3 around 90. I know I used to have a list of what "monsters" to fight at different skill levels but cannot find it now. Does anyone have or know where I can find such a list? I want my skills to go up as fast as possible... today I started with Yew orc place and didn't move at all. For a couple years I only use mystic mage spellweavers, so I sort of forgot how to turn a mediocre dexxer into a pretty good dexxer, Unlike you mathematical geniuses (including Lord God here) I will never get a great suit, but I'm still having fun with UO.