• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The Cone of Silence Returns....

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is what happens when you lay people off.

Your customers suffer.

-Galen's player
PS: I'm assuming you mean the lack of an update on UO.com about the Patch, combined with the lack of anything being said on UO.com about the login issues. (Someone posted here and I'm grateful for that, but still feel they should post on the game's main site.)

Damien Softstep

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The good thing is you can go to uogamecodes.com and buy items for cash that are not even available in-game...

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So what was their excuse before they ditched half the dev team?
Depends on the moth, I guess?

Some teams were....sub-standard.

Some screwed up.

The last one we had I thought was doing an OK job.

Then they got fired.

Then again, I guess that crack was supposed to be a soundbyte rather than an actual question, eh?

My apologies for mistaking the former for the latter. Actually wanting to answer questions is a sad, sad, regretful flaw of mine.

-Galen's player

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Some screwed up.

Then they got fired.

Then again, I guess that crack was supposed to be a soundbyte rather than an actual question, eh?

My apologies for mistaking the former for the latter. Actually wanting to answer questions is a sad, sad, regretful flaw of mine.

-Galen's player

I have no problem with answering questions. Unlike EA...

In all seriousness, the CS was pretty awful before half the staff got the boot. I don't forsee that changing anytime in the future.

Konge

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

In all seriousness, the CS was pretty awful before half the staff got the boot. I don't forsee that changing anytime in the future.
EA loves answering questions! Remember the Gargoyle Flying/Dismount frenzy of '09? I couldn't slept until they told us you could dismount them 5 times in different five on fridays!

C

canary

It has ALWAYS been awful, and we've ALWAYS gotten the song and dance that they want to improve it.

Empty promises, much like Cal's statements recently how we are going to see things addressed that will never see the light of day (ie speedhacks and cheating addressed).

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Does EA/UO even really have a customer service department?? Or is it just outsourced .... to people who have no clue and no understanding of UO or the game much like most of the GM's???

For awhile there I had hopes for the future of UO... even a short while after the layoffs... I had hope.... during the Thanksgiving event..... I had hope...

After the xmas stuff was released..... I lost that hope.

Now I've resigned myself to the possibility that UO will soon be no more. I hate to think of it... but the thought has crossed my mind on more than one occasion..... is there life after UO???

I had high hopes for this new Year from the Dev's... though I'm beginning to feel the same old disappointments rising.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think the people on the UO team that are still left are just overwhelmed and we will hear from them when they have something solid to tell us.

Let's face it--if many of your co-workers were laid off recently and your company's fiscal year-end was not even three months away in the future, what would you be doing? I would be keeping my nose to the grindstone and not making myself highly visible by chatting up the paying customers. Unless it's your job to be communicating with the customers, I suspect most people would only be doing it on an as-needed basis. And we already know that the two people that are responsible for communicating with us (Andy Belford and James Nichols) handle other games as well.

I know we all truly enjoy playing UO. But sometimes we really need to step back and try to put things into perspective. Yes, we are paying a small fee each month to play. But is the game so broken right now that most of you can honestly say you aren't getting your money's worth out of that fee? If yes, then perhaps it's time to wake up and realize that it's time to let go of UO because things aren't likely to improve much in the short term and spend that money every month on something else that will give you more enjoyment.

For the rest of us, including me, I think we all just need to settle down and try to quit acting like the spoiled children we often must sound like on these forums and remember that there are real human people at that office in Fairfax, VA who are probably doing the absolute best that they can under the circumstances. I have no doubt they worry like the rest of us about things like taking care of families, mortgages, bills, etc., and are doing it in an environment where many of their friends are gone and they are ones left to pick up the pieces and try to carry on. Let's not take advantage of the oh-so-deceptive anonymity of the Internet to say things here that we'd never dream of saying in person to a representative of a company from whom we purchase goods or services who is in a similar situation (i.e., one of the few left standing after a mass layoff).

C

canary

For the rest of us, including me, I think we all just need to settle down and try to quit acting like the spoiled children we often must sound like on these forums and remember that there are real human people at that office in Fairfax, VA who are probably doing the absolute best that they can under the circumstances.
You know I hate when people say drivel like this. They are a company who is paid a fee for not only servers, but continued support and development of a game. A little customer service ALWAYS goes a long way.

I think most of us realize there are 'real people' behind this. I also think it is all right to expect a certain level of customer courtesy and professionalism from those who you pay so they can continue to keep their jobs.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You know I hate when people say drivel like this. They are a company who is paid a fee for not only servers, but continued support and development of a game. A little customer service ALWAYS goes a long way.

I think most of us realize there are 'real people' behind this. I also think it is all right to expect a certain level of customer courtesy and professionalism from those who you pay so they can continue to keep their jobs.
The thread is about not hearing anything much lately from people on the UO team. How exactly does that equate to "customer courtesy and professionalism"? Do you really think that after a massive layoff it would make much sense for people like Calvin, Sakkarah, Supreem, Andy, and James to be posting on forums all day? If they did, I think we would wonder when they were getting their real work done.

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The thread is about not hearing anything much lately from people on the UO team. How exactly does that equate to "customer courtesy and professionalism"? Do you really think that after a massive layoff it would make much sense for people like Calvin, Sakkarah, Supreem, Andy, and James to be posting on forums all day? If they did, I think we would wonder when they were getting their real work done.
They don't need to post on the forums. Just a freaking note at uo.com though seems due to paying customers. It's been well near 9 hours I think since the patch. Certainly not too much to ask for information on patches and publishes when they happen.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's been like this for a long time. If you can't get over it then perhaps it's time to move on and leave UO behind.

I still find the game fun and thus I will pay for it. I don't pay just to whine, that would be a waste of money. And I don't really see any point in constantly whining over it like a number of people seem to like doing. (at least I hope they like doing it since I see it a lot)

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's been well near 9 hours I think since the patch. Certainly not too much to ask for information on patches and publishes when they happen.
Yes, I agree they should definitely be providing info about patches and publishes and it's odd that they didn't today.

I checked the EA Japan site and found that they posted about Publish 63.3 which was/is released to Origin and TC1. It sounds like they added an item called "Skin Tingeing Tincture" to alchemist NPCs that you can purchase for about 2500 gp. Apparently you can select a new color for your skin, limited to the colors normally applicable to your species. (More details here: http://ultimaonline.jp/news.phtml?id=89741.) (I logged on Origin after reading this and yes indeed they are selling it there now.)

Notes about the patch are here: http://ultimaonline.jp/news.phtml?id=89740; however, I'm not at all clear on what it means. They did something with the snow and something with walls in a cave. Also added or revealed something having to do with a volume of magic. And they did something with custom channels in chat. It looks like it may also say that if you logged out in a custom channel, instead of getting a message that the channel doesn't exist when you next log in, the channel will be automatically created.

Aurelius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is what happens when you lay people off.

Your customers suffer.
More fundamental than that Galen - when you reckon your lowest priority is your customers, then lay people off on that basis, your customers get seriously ticked off.... of course, the EA way is to ignore that as long as they still pay to play the game.

Meanwhile, EA Japan put out patch notes, keep their site pretty much up to date, and apparently care a great deal about those customers - EA US, out of date website, lack of information, and at best intermittent comments on a non-EA forum.

Wonder what spin the self-appointed Captain Cal puts on this, although evidence suggests it's not important enough to be worthy of any real attention at EA US, bar maybe a 'we really think communication is important' PR bull*** comment.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
More fundamental than that Galen - when you reckon your lowest priority is your customers, then lay people off on that basis, your customers get seriously ticked off.... of course, the EA way is to ignore that as long as they still pay to play the game.

Meanwhile, EA Japan put out patch notes, keep their site pretty much up to date, and apparently care a great deal about those customers - EA US, out of date website, lack of information, and at best intermittent comments on a non-EA forum.

Wonder what spin the self-appointed Captain Cal puts on this, although evidence suggests it's not important enough to be worthy of any real attention at EA US, bar maybe a 'we really think communication is important' PR bull*** comment.
Snakes on the plane!!!!

or

Ladies and gentleman please take your seats as we are expecting intermittent turbulence throughout the remainder of the flight...

lucitus

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Some screwed up.

Then they got fired.

-Galen's player
Ever looked at the EC? This is a okay job? Looked at the balance of gargoyles? The poor sortiments of weapons, the not finished lands and the worse state of the Enhanced client. It is clear if you do this job you got fired, especially the QA's, cant be that in their offical forums are bugs posted they never heard of...

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Snakes on the plane!!!!

or

Ladies and gentleman please take your seats as we are expecting intermittent turbulence throughout the remainder of the flight...
How about Snakes on a Bus?

C

canary

The thread is about not hearing anything much lately from people on the UO team. How exactly does that equate to "customer courtesy and professionalism"?
If you cannot comprehend the glaring similarity between customer courtesy and professionalism and communication to paying customers then I am really at a loss to assist you. It is pretty obvious they go hand in hand.

No one is asking for a dissertation, merely a few bits here and there to improve relationships and provide insight on what is going on.

deadite

Sage
It's My Birthday
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't think they let him say goodbye here because UHall would have exploded. Literally. Hundreds of UHallers would have been killed by flying shrapnel from their computer screens.

His name is Tim Cotten, right? He'll pop up somewhere. Do we even know if he was fired from EA or just moved? Maybe Leurocian can hook him up with a spot on Bioware's Star Wars MMO. ;)

Otis Firefly

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Going by his messages on Facebook, he's been wandering the continent like Caine from Kung Fu, before going home for the holidays. I've seen messages from at least a half-dozen different states.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?v=wall&id=1205480363
Aye! the man seems like he is enjoying himself! taking up some guitar and enjoying a stress free vacation before embarking on the future, and if he happens to stumble in here to read!!, we wish ya the best Draconi!!!!!

Tomas_Bryce

Rares Collector Extraordinaire | Rares Fest Host
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yea, the patch information should be up there.

But, erm, they just did an IRC chat session on, what was it... December 22nd? Most likely, soon after that they went on vacation till January 2nd. So, it has been like 10 work days since the last time we had multiple members of the team communicating live with players.

I think some of you are being a tad unfair.

Ken of Napa

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yea, the patch information should be up there.

But, erm, they just did an IRC chat session on, what was it... December 22nd? Most likely, soon after that they went on vacation till January 2nd. So, it has been like 10 work days since the last time we had multiple members of the team communicating live with players.

I think some of you are being a tad unfair.
Usually I'd agrre with that assesment.

This time I have to say that the quiet is overwhelming, especially almost 24 hours after a large patch. UO Japan was able to get the info out, Warhammer and DAOC both are getting updates on their Herald.

It is starting to seem more and more like UO is the forgotten stepchild, after all this is the only game being supervised by Mythic that was not originated by Mythic. It pains me to admit this, but for the first time I'm actually concerned about UO's future.

Kariny

UO Lake Superior News Reporter
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Gee. I'm just glad UO is still up and running after all the cutbacks at EA/Mythic.

They could have cut out more than they did. I can hear the crys if no more new content is published or released.

It could be a whole lot worse.

Tomas_Bryce

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Usually I'd agrre with that assesment.

This time I have to say that the quiet is overwhelming, especially almost 24 hours after a large patch. UO Japan was able to get the info out, Warhammer and DAOC both are getting updates on their Herald.

It is starting to seem more and more like UO is the forgotten stepchild, after all this is the only game being supervised by Mythic that was not originated by Mythic. It pains me to admit this, but for the first time I'm actually concerned about UO's future.
All I will say to you is that grass is always greener on the other side. I am not sure if I would compare DAOC with UO.

Only thing you got is that they did not release patch information. Maybe they had a hiccup somewhere? But to say that there is a cone of silence 10 workdays after they have a live chat is bordering on absurd.

P

Phineas le Monge

Wherever you are Draconi, blow something up so we can see the smoke trail in Sosaria...then we will know you are OK...I like fire...huh huh huh...

Salivern_Diago

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I cant say what I want to say about Cal and the current management of UO (Not the DEV's, they work hard and I love em for it) as I'ld get in trouble again for it. But to be straight to the point...

Cal and the two new members of the CS team are from our point of view incompetent (Think thats spelt right), I believe (strongly) that Cal should resign and allow someone with more scope and passion to take the reigns and bring UO back to what it once was. As for the two Community reps or what other pointless title the are called, they should be dismissed and a proper Community Representative should be appointed (Bring back Chrissay... enough said) that has a passion and a care for the game. I couldnt give a rats about DaoC or Warhammer.. they both are poor MMO's IMO compared to UO but sadly UO gets little to no time from the three I've mentioned.

Allowing Chrissay and Draconi to go was the single biggest mistake Cal has made in his career with EA/Mythic and I hope that he steps down or shows us what he can do. I also believe that Stratics should not be the unoffical 'offical' forums for the game. UOHerald is where ALL information should be posted, not on a third party website that should be impartial. If the DEV's are going to post on third party websites, then they should do it to ALL the more popular ones not just here.

OSI/Origin once had thier own offical forums, and I believe that these should be brought back as the ONLY place where the DEV's, EM's etc post offically. Third party websites like Stratics, UOForums is where the information should be repeated. The owners and staff of Stratics or any third party website has no right, cause or requirement to veto registered and paying customers to the UO Game, thier comments or thier complaints.

Its been mentioned that the only way us as customers can speak to EA is though our wallets and cancelled subscriptions. Well, several thousand customers have cancelled and left becuase of the poor customer service and white washing that we recieve from EA and now Mythic yet nothing has changed.

All the customers of UO have ever asked from EA/Mythic is communication, and as a whole EA/Mythic has failed at this over and over again. I have no idea what is going though Cal's had when he reads the same complaints that get posted over and over every day/week/month on Stratics, but I would have thought that something at lest would have pushed him to try to fix it.

And this is why I call for his resignation and the dismissal of the two Community Rep's OR for them to speak to us as thier customers and give us the respect we deserve.

Tomas_Bryce

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Salivern, you must have an inside knowledge of what goes on in EA to be able to "firmly believe" that someone should resign. It is mind blowing how often some of you spew out such nonsense based on nothing but pure speculation that might as well be completely opposite of the truth.

Salivern_Diago

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As you put it.. my 'nonsense' is based on things I have been privvy to and heard. Sadly for yourself you are unaware of where I work, what I work as and whom I talk to.

So yeah, me spewing out this nonsense is my view and I really wish for once the staff on this site would respect other peoples views for once!

M

MoonglowMerchant

I cant say what I want to say about Cal and the current management of UO (Not the DEV's, they work hard and I love em for it) as I'ld get in trouble again for it. But to be straight to the point...

Cal and the two new members of the CS team are incompetent (Think thats spelt right), I believe (strongly) that Cal should resign and allow someone with more scope, guts and passion to take the reigns and bring UO back to what it once was. As for the two Community reps or what other pointless title the are called, they should be dismissed and a proper Community Representative should be appointed (Bring back Chrissay... enough said) that has a passion and a care for the game. I couldnt give a rats about DaoC or Warhammer.. they both are poor MMO's IMO compared to UO but sadly UO gets little to no time from the three I've mentioned.

Allowing Chrissay and Draconi to go was the single biggest mistake Cal has made in his (hopefully) short career with EA/Mythic and I hope that he steps down as soon as possible. I also believe that Stratics should not be the unoffical 'offical' forums for the game. UOHerald is where ALL information should be posted, not on a third party website that should be impartial. If the DEV's are going to post on third party websites, then they should do it to ALL the more popular ones not just here.

OSI/Origin once had thier own offical forums, and I believe that these should be brought back as the ONLY place where the DEV's, EM's etc post offically. Third party websites like Stratics, UOForums is where the information should be repeated. The owners and staff of Stratics or any third party website has no right, cause or requirement to veto registered and paying customers to the UO Game, thier comments or thier complaints.

Its been mentioned that the only way us as customers can speak to EA is though our wallets and cancelled subscriptions. Well, several thousand customers have cancelled and left becuase of the poor customer service and white washing that we recieve from EA and now Mythic yet nothing has changed.

All the customers of UO have ever asked from EA/Mythic is communication, and as a whole EA/Mythic has failed at this over and over again. I have no idea what is going though Cal's had when he reads the same complaints that get posted over and over every day/week/month on Stratics, but I would have thought that something at lest would have pushed him to try to fix it.

And this is why I call for his resignation and the dismissal of the two Community Rep's.
I don't know if there is inside information or not. However, I'd believe anyone who says management and customer service are incompetent. They have been for years.

Salivern_Diago

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
LOL indeed!

All we ask for is some decent communication, a little love and heh honesty! But we dont get it :(

Salivern_Diago

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just edited my post a little to be more... lol understanding. However I still feel that silence isnt the best option and Cal or the Community Reps should post more and at lest calm our nerves. Change always makes people jumpy and apart from a short non-descript post last year, Cal or anyone for that matter hasnt really talked to us about it.

G

GL_Seller

HAHAHA I'm even starting to miss the bull**** WE ARE WORKING ON IT POSTS. Those were just mini slaps in the face. As they are still working on most of them that have been around for years...

The service in this game is such a joke that people actually find it necessary to make brand new threads when a GM does something other then give a automated response.

Then again I guess its just the SPOILED CHILD inside of me that expects decent customer service. I mean when they raised the price of uo was it not for customer service or some **** like that?

This bull**** about holidays is a god damn joke as well. OMG cut them some slack its the holidays...

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

It's been what, 1, 2, 3 days since this exchange, and it just occurred to me that I actually agree with you, I just didn't realize what you meant.

I've always said, for years now, that customer service has always been, is now, and always will be one of UO's most important weak points.

I think you agree with that; I think that's exactly what you were saying and I just somehow missed it.

Sorry about that.

Here's what I add to that, though, here's where we might differ.

I also think that customer service (and I'm lumping in communication with players here) waxes and wanes and has had its ups and downs.

We were coming out of a time where communication with players, at least, was on an upswing.

Then the layoffs occurred.

And we appear to be back on a downswing, as direct result and consequence of the layoffs. For example, the "Ask the Devs" forum, while I like and appreciate it, should not be a substitute for Five on Friday.

-Galen's player

Damien Softstep

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
http://kotaku.com/5402586/mythic-com...mid-ea-layoffs

"At Mythic, we remain COMMITTED to our games and the passionate people who play them – we're going to continue to deliver the content and SERVICE that keeps you playing," Hickman writes. "We want to assure our community that we will maintain the same HIGH level of customer support you've come to EXPECT and continue to improve our games with an exciting schedule of patches, LIVE events and new content."