• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The Chat system

SuperKen

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know I'm a bit late on this, but I got on today and had a lot of fun with this.

There's a lot of potential for all kinds of things. Thought I'd throw out some suggestions:

1. A News channel for shard news, it'd just be the shards news repeated over and over.

2. An Auction channel for people to comment on auctions items, so only the bidders would speak up.

3. A RP channel for story telling and other things.

4. Passwords to restrict access to certain channels.

Of course, what's probably needed most right now is an Ignore feature for spammers and trash talkers.

Surely there's more things that can be done with the Chat system.

Amber Witch

Babbling Loonie
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Good ideas SK.

If memory serves me, the old chat system allowed the person who set it up to boot people from the channel. I would so love to see this implemented again. I think a lot more people would use it if you weren't forced to list to the smack talk and spam.

SuperKen

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yea, I know what you mean. I was only on for a little bit and almost everyone had complaints about the same person constantly talking trash and spamming.

F

Fyiera Fyre

Those are all great ideas, the chat system is still simple enough, it's a pain still because you have to switch between each to enter it, they need to implement an easier method to alternate between them or allow you access to more then one channel at a time, there is a Trade Channel... so I dont see why an Auction Channel would be deemed necessary... since they are both the same thing really... and passwords are just so unecessary... unless its for the Anti-Super Ken Alliance... :lick: but really, I think a useful Chat tool would be to make use of the Whisper command appropiately and directly whisper someone you know is online instead of having to track them down and party them directly; which if this has been done already... then how on UO's Green World do you do this!!!

I know I'm a bit late on this, but I got on today and had a lot of fun with this.

There's a lot of potential for all kinds of things. Thought I'd throw out some suggestions:

1. A News channel for shard news, it'd just be the shards news repeated over and over.

2. An Auction channel for people to comment on auctions items, so only the bidders would speak up.

3. A RP channel for story telling and other things.

4. Passwords to restrict access to certain channels.

Of course, what's probably needed most right now is an Ignore feature for spammers and trash talkers.

Surely there's more things that can be done with the Chat system.

V

Village Idiot

i haven't noticed it on Baja yet but the other day while i was shopping on other shards i had to put up with spam non stop about visiting a web site to buy gold. i was under the impression that it was illegal now to advertise in game about selling gold or uo items for money. I sure hope they can maybe to something about blocking people from spamming.

SuperKen

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Those are all great ideas, the chat system is still simple enough, it's a pain still because you have to switch between each to enter it, they need to implement an easier method to alternate between them or allow you access to more then one channel at a time, there is a Trade Channel... so I dont see why an Auction Channel would be deemed necessary... since they are both the same thing really... and passwords are just so unecessary... unless its for the Anti-Super Ken Alliance... :lick: but really, I think a useful Chat tool would be to make use of the Whisper command appropiately and directly whisper someone you know is online instead of having to track them down and party them directly; which if this has been done already... then how on UO's Green World do you do this!!!
Well, I wasn't talking about official channels, but just channels that people could make to use as conversation tools. Obviously there's no need for an Auction channel until there really is an Auction, and then people can chat about the items without cluttering up the whole screen.

I also don't like how channels are joined right now, I used to have my Menu Bar disabled, and for the sake of using chat, I have to Enable it again, and shove it off into a corner. There ought to be some easy to use commands, like ", join General", for example. I still like the idea of being able to set passwords so certain groups can talk without being interrupted.

And there should definitely be an option to simply opt out of chatting at all. Not everyone wants to read what some people have to say or spam all day long.

V

Village Idiot

You can make your own channels. we used one for out last event, it made things a lot better.