• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The Captain's Lesson

Caine Family

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Staring at her he asks again. "Are you okay?”

Inwardly thinking she should have left sooner but time escaped once again. With the note still in hand, her only hope that he will let her go at a simple yes.

"....yes" She finally says. Nodding some he turns around and walks back to the conversation that still took place.

Sighing she walks out into the night and heads home.

“That was close” She thinks. There was no way she could have said she was going to be late for night patrolling. As much as she talks about Cove, for her, to admit something like this would only make them laugh and maybe others might be disappointed.

Reaching the outpost she slows down War to a light trot. Looking around, her gaze scans across the forest that was stilling holding its battle scars. Moving forward she catches a faint light coming from the battle torn outpost. The supplies for Cove had to be put on hold and as such the outpost still looks wrecked with its broken walls and collapsing roof. They did what they could for the outpost by putting up thick hinds of leather and wooden logs across the border to give some protection against an attack.

“If only I could have protected it better” She says in a whisper as she reaches the front of the outpost. Getting off War she grabs the reins and walks him to the back end were the coals where burning giving off the light.

To her surprise it wasn’t another guard waiting for her to be relieved but Melody herself. She walks by Melody without a word and puts War into the make shift stables giving him food and water. She turns around and watches Melody closely. Leaning back against one of the broken walls with her arms crossed Melody straightens up.

“You’re late” Melody says.

“I know” She says a little too harshly.

Sighing Melody says. “Just don’t let Father catch you out like this”

“I KNOW!” She said loudly frustrated now.

“You know what?” A voice comes from the forest. With a small thud and movement both Melody and Thea pull out their weapons and ready for what was coming into the light.

Squinting, Thea slowly puts down her bow then slings it on her back followed by Melody doing the same.

“We could have killed you Sir” She says.

“Next time don’t hesitant!” Jayce says harshly glaring at both his daughters.

“Father I was jus-“ Before Melody could say any more Jayce cuts her off.

“Go home Melody. Now” Jayce says dismissing Melody completely turning his attention to Thea. “Well Thea? What do you know then?” Jayce asks as Melody walks out into the night leaving her sister behind.

Watching Melody leaving from the corner of her eye her she forces her attention back to Jayce. “Sir I know I was late for patrolling. I’m sorry. It won’t happen again”. She says

“I know it won’t happen again Thea.” Jayce says walking close to her putting a hand on her shoulder. “You will not fail me again.” He moves his hand away. Jayce pulls out a sword. “As long as you’re in the guard under my commanded you will be treated like any other guard. Now ready yourself.”

Staring at Jayce she goes to pull out her dagger but Jayce is already on her swinging his sword in front motion. Tilting her body back she barely misses his strike.

“Take it seriously” Jayce glares at her.

Swinging downward, Thea side steps putting her dagger close trying to avoid Jayce sword. Sparks begin to fly as steel clash together making a screeching sound. Before Thea could react further he swing turning around in counter clockwise motion and hits her in the face sending her to the ground.

Her unwillingness to truly fight her father was understandable but she got up anyway. Even then she didn’t have enough time to counter his next move swinging his sword horizontal finally getting her in the back drawing blood

She grits her teeth and grunts some trying to steady herself after the slash.

Jayce gets behind her before she had a chance to turn and grabs the arm holding her dagger. Struggling to break free, the pressure of his grip gets too tight and with a loud pop, Jayce dislocates her shoulder.

“AHHHH!” She yells as Jayce lets her fall to the ground. Breathing heavily, she grabs her limp arm rolling into a fetal position with a tear coming from her eye.

“You wanted to be treated like every other guard?” Jayce puts his sword away putting his boot on her head squeezing it some. “Never be late again. Next time you will be lashed.” Lifting his boot off her he walks away into the night leaving her behind.

After a while she slowly crawls to one of the broken walls and sits up. Breathing in and out quickly, she inhales sharply and holds it. A loud pop came again after she slams her shoulder as hard as she could to locating it back into place. Two more tears rolled down her cheek but no sound came from her this time.

Sitting there, breathing heavily again she looks to the stables were War is standing and staring at her. War goes back to eating like nothing ever happened. Looking up at the night sky then back down she slowly stands up and takes her post watching and waiting for something to come.

Thea Caine,
Captain of the Guard
Covian Guard