• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The Beginning of the End?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

<blockquote><hr>

Yes but why do you feel you have to alert everyone of this drastic event? Why can't you just enjoy the time you have on the game and not worry about when it might end? Now EA will probably be swamped with e-mails of frantic players wanting to know if they should possibly:

A. Even bother becoming a paying member if the game will shut down.
B. If they can get refunded for a game that wont continue to be around.
C. Complaints about why they were never informed of a possible game termination why someone on a forum had to announce it.

You have to think about others too. And the age groups that play this game are getting younger and will take this in a more dramatic sense. Please just, stop freaking out over something not happening now, go play the game, enjoy it, have fun with it, meet new people make new friends go work something! Stop bringing this up when right now there is no need for it. Let others enjoy this game as it is, not as something we have to grip onto just incase tomorrow its ripped away.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not going to hit you with a cheap shot. I really liked your post, your points are very good. Thank you for posting.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I play and look at forums at the same time. Multi-tasking, very fun! lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, a lot of us do

I

imported_SimTripps

'New Orleans is sinkin', and I ain't gonna swim..' - Tragically Hip lyric

Sorry - with all this talk of song lyrics, I couldn't help myself lol...

I

imported_herk1287

I think the Devs are busy lookin foir new jobs, cause they were probbably dismissed from project and company

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Yes but why do you feel you have to alert everyone of this drastic event? Why can't you just enjoy the time you have on the game and not worry about when it might end? Now EA will probably be swamped with e-mails of frantic players wanting to know if they should possibly:

C. Complaints about why they were never informed of a possible game termination why someone on a forum had to announce it.

You have to think about others too. And the age groups that play this game are getting younger and will take this in a more dramatic sense. Please just, stop freaking out over something not happening now, go play the game, enjoy it, have fun with it, meet new people make new friends go work something! Stop bringing this up when right now there is no need for it. Let others enjoy this game as it is, not as something we have to grip onto just incase tomorrow its ripped away.

[/ QUOTE ]

See, that's just the sort of attitude i was referring to

Lets all put our heads in the sand and wait for the game to die....
If you say you love the game, then you would fight for something to change so that it would survive in the long term.
Your peception that theres no need for posts like this now is soooooo wrong in my opinion. People are closing their accounts everyday and it doesnt seem to bother you.
If you read the forums, you will see peoples concerns about the game. You may not agree with them, you might think the game is perfect as it is, but you are not I assure you in the majority.
The more poeple are ignoring the complaints that customers bring up, the quicker the game will go.
Please don't aid its disapearance by trying to stop the voices of the players being heard.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't get from her post what you did, but Oh Well. Posting our concerns on the forum continually has not gotten us anywhere, has it? Obviously not or we wouldn't be running this subject into the ground continually. Send a letter to EA. O.O They hold the purse strings they control the progress of the game I'm assuming they also control the direction it is going. If we do not like the direction the game is going because it isn't FUN or what ever our reasons happen to be then this issue should be addressed to someone who can do something about it. Don't you think?

L

legal1lpn

<blockquote><hr>

I think the Devs are busy lookin foir new jobs, cause they were probbably dismissed from project and company

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm getting that sinking feeling that you may be on to something...dusting off my Sims2 CD's as I write this and anticipating the launch of Sims 3...such a sad feeling though, I have been a player since the very beginning...Oh well...now to cancel this account...You folks take care...Its been fun and that's been the whole point!

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Hecate, just go play the game while you can, you are wasting valuable game play time reading somthing here that upsets you so much. If you dont want to be faced with the facts then great, go play and have fun

[/ QUOTE ]

What facts? I am sure that "what facts" there truly are we have heard so many times it is ridiculous. Just because some are very tired of hearing it over and over doesn't mean we aren't facing it. If you have, truly have, facts that are a concern to you then why not send a letter to those people who are actually in control of this game. Share, your facts, with those who can make a real change? Make real difference? Sharing your facts with all of us has just caused contention as some are tired of hearing it. Why? I think that it is frustrating because non of us can do anything about it. And some of your facts really aren't others facts because it doesn't bother them, they don't care, to them it's not a big deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Hecate, just go play the game while you can, you are wasting valuable game play time reading somthing here that upsets you so much. If you dont want to be faced with the facts then great, go play and have fun

[/ QUOTE ]

What facts? I am sure that "what facts" there truly are we have heard so many times it is ridiculous. Just because some are very tired of hearing it over and over doesn't mean we aren't facing it. If you have, truly have, facts that are a concern to you then why not send a letter to those people who are actually in control of this game. Share, your facts, with those who can make a real change? Make real difference? Sharing your facts with all of us has just caused contention as some are tired of hearing it. Why? I think that it is frustrating because non of us can do anything about it. And some of your facts really aren't others facts because it doesn't bother them, they don't care, to them it's not a big deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

TTL

<blockquote><hr>

fact

Pronunciation [fakt]
–noun
1. something that actually exists; reality; truth: Your fears have no basis in fact.
2. something known to exist or to have happened: Space travel is now a fact.
3. a truth known by actual experience or observation; something known to be true: Scientists gather facts about plant growth.
4. something said to be true or supposed to have happened: The facts given by the witness are highly questionable.
5. Law. Often, facts. an actual or alleged event or circumstance, as distinguished from its legal effect or consequence. Compare question of fact, question of law.
—Idioms
6. after the fact, Law. after the commission of a crime: an accessory after the fact.
7. before the fact, Law. prior to the commission of a crime: an accessory before the fact.
8. in fact, actually; really; indeed: In fact, it was a wonder that anyone survived.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did I miss something?

Are you privy to behind the scenes information that others are not?

I mean really in the grand scheme of things I don't care... I barely play.
But.. I find it hilarious when people throw certain words around...
B/c I need proof for it to be a fact.

No matter what your opinions might be.

Ex:
Fact: Communication by EA has halted.
Opinion: Communication by EA has halted b/c people on the forums were mean (which btw is one of the silliest theories I've heard)
Fact: The game has received many updates in the past few months.
Opinion: All the updates suck.

See.... fact and opinion. I learned this in like 2nd grade...

Then again I could have misunderstood this thread...

I didn't actually read all of it .

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

If you say you love the game, then you would fight for something to change so that it would survive in the long term.
Your peception that theres no need for posts like this now is soooooo wrong in my opinion. People are closing their accounts everyday and it doesnt seem to bother you.
If you read the forums, you will see peoples concerns about the game. You may not agree with them, you might think the game is perfect as it is, but you are not I assure you in the majority.
The more poeple are ignoring the complaints that customers bring up, the quicker the game will go.
Please don't aid its disapearance by trying to stop the voices of the players being heard.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't get from her post what you did, but Oh Well. Posting our concerns on the forum continually has not gotten us anywhere, has it? Obviously not or we wouldn't be running this subject into the ground continually. Send a letter to EA. O.O They hold the purse strings they control the progress of the game I'm assuming they also control the direction it is going. If we do not like the direction the game is going because it isn't FUN or what ever our reasons happen to be then this issue should be addressed to someone who can do something about it. Don't you think?

[/ QUOTE ]
With all due respect to your impeccable logic, sending a letter to EA is even less effective than Stratics.
At least here you can vent - get other opinions - possibly settle your mind, especially for those who have a tendency to panic at every little glitch.

EA doesn't bother to acknowledge receipt of your letter. Customer Service is "not even". The blog is dead quiet. The only place of "communication" is the Town Hall, but it hasn't been open for quite a while.

Stratics may be nothing more than Frustration Central, but even *that* serves a purpose.
However, I *do* agree that some, so-called, "complaints" are nothing more than 'hell raising' with no constructive intent or purpose.

D

DGLita

Here you go Jackie, Ive copied the original post for you here, in case you cant be botherde to go back to page 1 and read it, and as you already said, you couldnt be bothered to read it.

Now, please tell me which part is not based on fact.

I have an awful feeling the end is nigh, I hope im wrong.

Luc and his team took this over in March 2007, so here we are just a little over 12 months later and it has gone ominously quiet on the part of the Devs.

From the emails sent out to old members earlier this year, Amnesty was implied for March, this has now been stretched to April.

Even from the start, TSO never did hit the numbers. In Beta in 2002 they needed 100,000 players to beta test the game and the servers. They hit something like 38,000 despite the fact that over half a million people had subscribed to the Sims Newsletter. Membership peaked in 2003, I dont know what the figures were, but I doubt it reached the target they even needed for Beta. We know from what the Devs have told us in recent months that membership was around 13,000 last year.

When The Sims Online was first developed it had a budget in excess of $25 million. Lets be generous and say that in the first 3 years they averaged 50,000 members, in year 4 25,000 members and year 5 13,000 members. That’s a total income over 5 years of $22.5 million . It seems unlikely that EA has even recouped their initial $25 million budget. If they had just left the money in the bank doing nothing, in 5 years they would have earned around $5million interest.

We are now 5 years later and membership is probably around 15,000 paying members, that’s $1.8 million income a year . There is no way that EA can afford to sink the kind of money into this game that they did 5 years ago.

Last year, it transpired that EA were going to cut their losses and pull the plug. Luc Greg and Lee have all discussed this with us. EA by some miracle had a change of heart and let Luc and his team try to revive the game. There are 30 devs listed on the blog, when this game was first developed there were hundreds.

To revive this game and make it pay the Devs had to come up with something radical to get our interest fired up again, and that radical idea had to have been Cash Out. Make the members believe they could actually make real money while they play, but the reality is that they cannot afford to do this, hence the earnings cap they are now testing.

However much we love TSO/Ealand, if the game doesn’t hit the numbers then its dead in the water.

Go to Ealand and look down the top 100 list for each category then click on each property to see how many are online. I have just done this myself, its Saturday evening peak playing time and this is the result

Money 24 houses with 196 players
Offbeat 0 houses open
Romance 10 houses with 33 players
Services 9 houses with 23 players
Stores 64 lots open with 227 players (go figure)
Skill 20 houses with 192 players
Welcome 4 houses with 31 players
Games 0 houses
Entertainment 6 houses with 43 players
Residential 8 houses with 17 players

That’s a total of 145 houses/lots open with 762 players (figures are for EALand only)

Admittedly, there may be houses open that have not hit the top 100 list, but how many players are going to be in houses that don’t even appear on the list. Lets say 38 to be generous. That’s rounds up the players playing right now at 800. This is for EALand only.

TC3 IS less busy than EALand, but probably has a higher percentage of free players. I havnt counted but lets say there are 500 people playing TC3 right now, so a total of around 1300. Considering that other online games have memberships running into hundreds of thousands, does this sound like a successful online game to you?

Does this level of player activity justify 30 Devs?

If YOU were an EA Exec what would you do?

J

jasminemoon

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Why would they be dismissed from the project AND company?

Even if EA decided that the game isn't to go on...someone would need to keep collecting the money we spend, approving CC, and running the servers..therefore the game would have went offline, and CC wouldn't be being approved....and why should they have been dismissed from the company?

They have done nothing but work really HARD to revive this game, that IS STILL IN BETA..so that makes absolutely NO sense to me. The company wouldn't dismiss them because of a few bumps in the road of a plan that still isn't finished. Nope, even if they were taken off of this project (which I seriously doubt) then the company still has no reason to chalk up all their hard work as something to be "dismissed" for.

Jas

G

<blockquote><hr>

Here you go Jackie, Ive copied the original post for you here, in case you cant be botherde to go back to page 1 and read it, and as you already said, you couldnt be bothered to read it.

Now, please tell me which part is not based on fact.

I have an awful feeling the end is nigh, I hope I'm wrong.

Luc and his team took this over in March 2007, so here we are just a little over 12 months later and it has gone ominously quiet on the part of the Devs.

From the emails sent out to old members earlier this year, Amnesty was implied for March, this has now been stretched to April.

Even from the start, TSO never did hit the numbers. In Beta in 2002 they needed 100,000 players to beta test the game and the servers. They hit something like 38,000 despite the fact that over half a million people had subscribed to the Sims Newsletter. Membership peaked in 2003, I dont know what the figures were, but I doubt it reached the target they even needed for Beta. We know from what the Devs have told us in recent months that membership was around 13,000 last year.

When The Sims Online was first developed it had a budget in excess of $25 million. Lets be generous and say that in the first 3 years they averaged 50,000 members, in year 4 25,000 members and year 5 13,000 members. That’s a total income over 5 years of $22.5 million . It seems unlikely that EA has even recouped their initial $25 million budget. If they had just left the money in the bank doing nothing, in 5 years they would have earned around $5million interest.

We are now 5 years later and membership is probably around 15,000 paying members, that’s $1.8 million income a year . There is no way that EA can afford to sink the kind of money into this game that they did 5 years ago.

Last year, it transpired that EA were going to cut their losses and pull the plug. Luc Greg and Lee have all discussed this with us. EA by some miracle had a change of heart and let Luc and his team try to revive the game. There are 30 devs listed on the blog, when this game was first developed there were hundreds.

To revive this game and make it pay the Devs had to come up with something radical to get our interest fired up again, and that radical idea had to have been Cash Out. Make the members believe they could actually make real money while they play, but the reality is that they cannot afford to do this, hence the earnings cap they are now testing.

However much we love TSO/Ealand, if the game doesn’t hit the numbers then its dead in the water.

Go to Ealand and look down the top 100 list for each category then click on each property to see how many are online. I have just done this myself, its Saturday evening peak playing time and this is the result

Offbeat 0 houses open
Games 0 houses

That’s a total of 145 houses/lots open with 762 players (figures are for EALand only)

Admittedly, there may be houses open that have not hit the top 100 list, but how many players are going to be in houses that don’t even appear on the list. Lets say 38 to be generous. That’s rounds up the players playing right now at 800. This is for EALand only.

TC3 IS less busy than EALand, but probably has a higher percentage of free players. I havnt counted but lets say there are 500 people playing TC3 right now, so a total of around 1300. Considering that other online games have memberships running into hundreds of thousands, does this sound like a successful online game to you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oopsie still too long to read.

but I think I answered those questions somewhere already.

Can you bold out the fact parts?

Oooh Edited to add (because evidentally sometimes I need to really break it down for some)

I'm not disagreeing that logically the numbers do not warrant a large dev team or money to further develope the game...

I am saying that what some in this thread have stated as fact is not. I know you, DGlita, stated that you "had a feeling" which is the same thing as an opinion. Feelings do not count as fact. Unless you say ... its a fact that my stomach hurts... b/c that is a feeling and if it is hurting it would be a fact.

But based on your evidence your opinion seems very possible.

But it is not a fact.

So until we get our post from someone with the right to post it... I wouldn't say the word "fact"

D

DGLita

So basically Jackiee TC, you are more than prepared to criticise me (for a post you admitted you havnt read), but when I ask you to justify that critisism you cant be bothered?

Isnt that somewhat hypocritical of you?

G

<blockquote><hr>

So basically Jackiee TC, you are more than prepared to criticise me (for a post you admitted you havnt read), but when I ask you to justify that critisism you cant be bothered?

[/ QUOTE ]

I edited some before I saw this.

I'm not above being a hypocrite I've stated this before.

Its certainly one of the nicer things said about me.

And I think I've justified pretty well what part I was criticizing... its mostly the "fact" part of it.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

What is beginning to annoy me intensely is the responses to our posts from the mods here... They should be flagships for our community, yet I don't see one of them ever critisize the game, I'm beginning to wonder if they are in fact bots programmed to represent EAs interests.
If they cared about this game, they would at least aknowledge our concerns instead of rubbishing them all the time.
The game won't survive in its current state, yet according to them, (yes every single one of them) the alterations to the game are ALL wonderful.
I wonder how mods to this forum are picked? They certainly don't represent the players of this game fairly, which is sad and wrong.
Please re-evalute your position here. The game IS worth saving, try thinking from a customers veiwpoint and start fighting for real changes.
If i'm offending you at all I appologuise, but forum mods ought to be representative of the players surely. Why do you all sound like pre-recorded messages from EA?

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh, fer cryin' out loud.
This is one of the big problems with this board - broad generalizations from outer space that have no association with reality.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL

D

DGLita

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

And I think I've justified pretty well what part I was criticizing... its mostly the "fact" part of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

No you havnt justified it, and now you find you are backed into a corner and are trying to dismiss it. Exactly what part of my post are you claiming is not based on fact.

G

Read my edit, in my opinion... I have justified it.

I could say its a fact that I justified it, but the fact that you do not think I justified it makes it your opinion, which means me justifying it in my mind would logically be my opinion.

Edit:

I have never been backed into a corner in my life. If I feel I am wrong I'll say I'm wrong.

IF it was a fact then the name of this post would not have a ? at the end.

It is your opinion that based on history, numbers and other games subscriptions that the end of this game is near.

Until we get a post to us from EA it will not be a fact

How do you not understand this?

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

All of the team was assembled from EA's game development employees. They have all worked on other games and if at some future time, their work on this project is done, they will move on to another EA project.

These people work *for* EA Games and *on* EA-Land. The EA-Land project is their current focus, not their reason for employment.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yer a weird broad, Jackie.

But, sometimes - weird is good.
I don't always agree with you, but your candor is always...... candid.

Want some Froot Loops? (offers bowl).
Nyuck

Which brings up an interesting "fact" of my own.
Shemp was the greatest Stooge EVER!!!
It may only be my opinion, but it is definitely a fact that that is my opinion.

E

ephemeral

<blockquote><hr>

I have an awful feeling the end is nigh, I hope im wrong.

Offbeat 0 houses open
Games 0 houses

[/ QUOTE ]

The numbers you have been able to gather support my contention that TSO/EA-Land is doomed. Not for lack of love from the few devoted subscribers, but because of simple economics. To compound the situation, EA (IMO) has gone about the re-design of the game in an extremely unwise manner. The manner in which they undertook the re-design was wasteful in terms of infrastructure, manpower utilization and perhaps most importantly in concept (their information gathering and game play ideas have been flawed from the start). This situation only seals the deal, IMO.

I love this game. It's really the only electronic game I play...but the reality I fear, is that EA-Land is not long for the world. It would be folly if the economics you presented are even close to the truth, for EA to continue carrying the game.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yer a weird broad, Jackie.

But, sometimes - weird is good.
I don't always agree with you, but your candor is always...... candid.

Want some Froot Loops? (offers bowl).
Nyuck

Which brings up an interesting "fact" of my own.
Shemp was the greatest Stooge EVER!!!
It may only be my opinion, but it is definitely a fact that that is my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Donovan... I once ate nothing but cereal for a month straight

So yes I would like some fruit loops.

Now you say "sometimes" weird is good.
Would it be in my case?

Shemp is def way cooler than Larry, but I kinda like Moe's hair.

I do not like Curly at all.

OY Edit!

Ok so ephemeral has it right...see how s/he puts the little "IMO"'s in there?

Opinion.

Doesn't mean that its not valid.

Just means its unconfirmed. Therefore not fact.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Last time I checked the blog there were 19 on the team including Parizad.

Where do you find the information about 30 devs?

Polly

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Polly

[/ QUOTE ]

Oooh polly see I stated this in another post somewhere...

Apparently I'm not the only one who doesn't read every post *giggle* Lita

So yah.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No you havnt justified it, and now you find you are backed into a corner and are trying to dismiss it. Exactly what part of my post are you claiming is not based on fact.

[/ QUOTE ]

Backed her into a corner? Is it still 4/20?

If you mean to say that your guesses are based in fact, I would love to see what piece of evidence you have to support them. I would also love to see the innerworkings of your brain. Maybe I can use the data I gather to help me guess on all of my upcoming final exams - and of course be right.

Not even the authority in mmog subscriptions, www.mmogchart.com, has data on EAL. But you do?

::vogues and faints::

D

DGLita

<blockquote><hr>

I could say its a fact that I justified it, but the fact that you do not think I justified it makes it your opinion, which means me justifying it in my mind would logically be my opinion.

Edit:

I have never been backed into a corner in my life. If I feel I am wrong I'll say I'm wrong.

It is your opinion that based on history, numbers and other games subscriptions that the end of this game is near.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a ? in the title because im not saying 'The beginnig of the end' as a statement, IM using the ? as a question, becuase I wouldnt make a statement that this IS the beginnign of the end, Im asking the question.

I didnt just sit here and come up with that post, I researched it and did some number crunching, I counted the number of people online. I didnt make this up. Its not over till te fat lady sings, the fat lady being EA, but they are not going to say 'oh look, we might be closing the game, just to give you a heads up' THEY wont say anything until they have to. But the silence is worrying.

If only you could be bothered to read what I posted before sticking your foot in your mouth, my post was to ask, given this situation, what would you do as an EA exec, and does the game justify a team of devs working in when at prime time on a Saturday evening there are less than 800 people playing in the main city

G

well, I would not base my opinion of the current state of the game on those numbers. although it was a good effort how can we really gauge how many people were at properties not in the top 100 lists, and also things like people who are working job lots and floating in city view? I thought Luc posted numbers awhile back... maybe I will look if I am bored. edit: also just because accounts are not online doesn't mean they shouldn't be counted - the paying ones anyway. I don't think EA cares if you log in to the account you are paying for.

I don't think it is a secret that the game is not as successful as predicted but you can take anything and spin it to predict the end of the game, so I would prefer to wait until something is said officially than speculate. it could be that the way information is posted/communicated from the devs has been changed due to player reaction and community backlash. we know the hours the devs &amp; parizad have been working and maybe they were just tired of dealing with the drama and want to just get some work done without holding everyone's hand and dodging tomatos and rumors every five seconds.

D

DGLita

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Polly

[/ QUOTE ]

I read it somewhere during my researching, I found a bit about Luc Barthlet being a senior exec at EA and taking a team of 30 to redevlop the game, but you are right that there are 19 listed on the blog

I

imported_Shirl1211

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

You could make CC toilets to use as kitchen chairs NOW that would be funny!!!

LOL !!! My type of humor. Looking you up in TC3. We need to move this to 'where is the fun'. Since you have a pizza house we can take care of this 'pool' by CCing pizza tables with CC'd toilet/chairs for customers that ate bad pizza. rofl

[/ QUOTE ]
Saddles as dining chairs on a western themed lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would look awesome!!! I hope someone see's this and does it !!!hint hint CC'ers

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Edit:

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a ? in the title because im not saying 'The beginnig of the end' as a statement, IM using the ? as a question, becuase I wouldnt make a statement that this IS the beginnign of the end, Im asking the question.

I didnt just sit here and come up with that post, I researched it and did some number crunching, I counted the number of people online. I didnt make this up. Its not over till te fat lady sings, the fat lady being EA, but they are not going to say 'oh look, we might be closing the game, just to give you a heads up' THEY wont say anything until they have to. But the silence is worrying.

If only you could be bothered to read what I posted before sticking your foot in your mouth, my post was to ask, given this situation, what would you do as an EA exec, and does the game justify a team of devs working in when at prime time on a Saturday evening there are less than 800 people playing in the main city

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't stick my foot in my mouth.

You replied to my post where I was stating that people post things as facts when they are in fact opinions.

When I replied to that thread i stated that i was TTL since there were several posts in this thread that acted like they were stating fact.

You replied and asked me to look at your post.
I did, honestly I stand by what I said... while the history may have fact to it. You can't determine that your counts in EA Land are 100% accurate to players and you can count that based on your research everything is fact.

you have a theory. And I'm not disputing whether or not your theory will become fact or remain a theory... I am disputing the use of the word "fact" when it is not a fact.

If you go back and reread (carefully) everything I wrote you would see that.

Isn't it hypocritical of you to call me a hypocrite for not reading every post in this thread when it is evident that you yourself have not read every post in this thread?

I answered your main question pages ago... ages ago...

its a fact that I answered them.

G

I think that the only people that have the true answers are the devs - only they know exactly how many current subscribers there are as well as how much revenue is being generated by the ATMs.

In years gone by, we've been able to speculate on total subscriber numbers due to the numbers online at any given time - we've seen trends in house hours going up and down for instance. These days with so many free accounts and the unseen transactions via the ATMs, its really impossible to guess the kind of revenue being generated to any degree of accuracy.

Polly

G

<blockquote><hr>

I think that the only people that have the true answers are the devs - only they know exactly how many current subscribers there are as well as how much revenue is being generated by the ATMs.

In years gone by, we've been able to speculate on total subscriber numbers due to the numbers online at any given time - we've seen trends in house hours going up and down for instance. These days with so many free accounts and the unseen transactions via the ATMs, its really impossible to guess the kind of revenue being generated to any degree of accuracy.

Polly

[/ QUOTE ]

Its also impossible to gauge how many paying subscribers there are.

I can name at least 15 of my friends off the top of my head who never sign on but keep active (multiple) accounts because they are sentimental fools.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

TTL

<blockquote><hr>

fact

Pronunciation [fakt]
–noun
1. something that actually exists; reality; truth: Your fears have no basis in fact.
3. a truth known by actual experience or observation; something known to be true: Scientists gather facts about plant growth.
4. something said to be true or supposed to have happened: The facts given by the witness are highly questionable.
5. Law. Often, facts. an actual or alleged event or circumstance, as distinguished from its legal effect or consequence. Compare question of fact, question of law.
—Idioms
6. after the fact, Law. after the commission of a crime: an accessory after the fact.
7. before the fact, Law. prior to the commission of a crime: an accessory before the fact.
8. in fact, actually; really; indeed: In fact, it was a wonder that anyone survived.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did I miss something?

Ex:
Opinion: Communication by EA has halted b/c people on the forums were mean (which btw is one of the silliest theories I've heard)

[/ QUOTE ]

YES, what you said I was trying to say. I must have said it very poorly. Sorry about that.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

TTL

<blockquote><hr>

fact

Pronunciation [fakt]
–noun
—Idioms

[/ QUOTE ]

Did I miss something?

Ex:

[/ QUOTE ]

YES, what you said I was trying to say. I must have said it very poorly. Sorry about that.

[/ QUOTE ]

No Isa you said it just fine which is why I tagged to you.

I elaborated... an apparently painted myself into a corner or something IDK.

G

Oy.

You have done your research based on what you found available. The problem with fact is, you must have all information available. Now I'm sure if you asked the devs they would give you the 100% correct information. The fact is, you rounded the number of subscribers off. That constitutes what you said to be a generalization and not fact. By rounding off the numbers, you turned fact into your own idea. Your own idea is not fact but is in fact your own opinion/generalization.

Now for the original post. How dare you think that you can ask a question of that nature. Posts like these cause an up roar in the community. The up roar then leads to everyone fighting and the mods left to try to clean up the mess. I feel the devs have every right not communicate anything to you. Every time they do, all I ever see is some one complaining and ranting and raving about how its not best for the game.

Here is some knowledge for you. Say you go and you eat 100 5 star gourmet meals. Does that make you a gourmet chef? Absolutely....NOT! Same goes for online games. You could play 100 different online games and that does NOT make you a dev. Nor does it put you in a position that you think you can dictate or even actually know what goes on behind the scenes. You think you could run the game when in FACT you cannot. You do NOT work on this game so there are DETAILS and FACTS that you are not privy too.

So, there is my rant based on my OPINION.

G

*TTL*

Isnt every beginning the beginning of the end? Seeing as how nothing lasts forever.

Jus sayin

G

Excellent post Ronin, not that reason will make any difference.

I can't be bothered to sift through every page of this monster, but has anyone stopped to consider that the game is in Beta stage? Everyone keeps talking about the years the game has been out, but it hasn't. EA Land has been around what? A year? and EA Land is the game we're playing. Other Beta's are not widely advertised, and people don't say the game has been cancelled before its really off the ground. This isn't even mentioning the fact that the Devs posting on this forum or giving any info at all to the masses during Beta stage is completely voluntary, not a part of their job.

If April 30th hits and we hear nothing, and the accounts that are supposed to get what they have been promised don't get it within a week, then yes maybe start asking questions, but honestly are we going to ask if the game is dead every time there's a week break in the blog posts? CC is being approved, the game is running, just be patient.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

With all due respect to your impeccable logic, sending a letter to EA is even less effective than Stratics.
At least here you can vent - get other opinions - possibly settle your mind, especially for those who have a tendency to panic at every little glitch.

EA doesn't bother to acknowledge receipt of your letter. Customer Service is "not even". The blog is dead quiet. The only place of "communication" is the Town Hall, but it hasn't been open for quite a while.

Stratics may be nothing more than Frustration Central, but even *that* serves a purpose.
However, I *do* agree that some, so-called, "complaints" are nothing more than 'hell raising' with no constructive intent or purpose.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you, I try to be as logical as I can. I figure that if you have presented your issue and nothing has been done then you go higher in the chain of command. If you have numbers behind you then that helps. If not then you go it alone.
I figure if you've said it once and no one heard you then maybe they weren't listening so repeating it again might be good. Going again is just a slap in the face and to me it's more like beating a dead horse with a stick. No one is listening. So go higher up the ladder and do it again.

I can not see how sending a letter, a mass letter from all of us, to EA would not be effective. Have we tried it? Has anyone else tried it? We do it all the time in politics and I have seen some major miracles happen because of it. So what if they don't acknowledge it. I would think you would be very interested in doing something useful, that might have a positive effect, instead you shoot it down. I wasn't talking about sending the letter to customer service or the blog or the forum, I meant to the cooperate offices. At least we would have the knowledge that we had tried, not just sat here and sighed.

But I guess it is just easier to sit and constantly moan about it on the forum.

G

I'm totally for letter writing, I think its a lost art.

That said what you say and how you say it in said letter will impact the reply or even if you get one.

I worked in a correspondence unit of a bank for several years. I received letters demanding answers with no return address, no name, no acct number. I received letters full of such vile threats that I immediately forwarded them to security. Then theres the letters that are completely illegible.

When sending a letter to a company there a few things that will help you get a response whether you like the answer or not, the above list are not those things. What will work is proper grammar, legible handwriting or typed if thats not an option, and of course keeping a cool head. A complaint well worded and not full of swearing and/or threats is much more likely to be read.

There are some excellent books on the subject for anyone who doesnt know how to write a proper business letter.

I dare say that if I received letters like some of the posts I see here and on the blog, I would have sent a canned response to contact customer service for assistance.

I also agree with Jackiee's assesment of the customer story, I've got a million of em. I can just see the devs laughing over their rum.

I

imported_Shirl1211

<blockquote><hr>

Oy.

You have done your research based on what you found available. The problem with fact is, you must have all information available. Now I'm sure if you asked the devs they would give you the 100% correct information. The fact is, you rounded the number of subscribers off. That constitutes what you said to be a generalization and not fact. By rounding off the numbers, you turned fact into your own idea. Your own idea is not fact but is in fact your own opinion/generalization.

Now for the original post. How dare you think that you can ask a question of that nature. Posts like these cause an up roar in the community. The up roar then leads to everyone fighting and the mods left to try to clean up the mess. I feel the devs have every right not communicate anything to you. Every time they do, all I ever see is some one complaining and ranting and raving about how its not best for the game.

Here is some knowledge for you. Say you go and you eat 100 5 star gourmet meals. Does that make you a gourmet chef? Absolutely....NOT! Same goes for online games. You could play 100 different online games and that does NOT make you a dev. Nor does it put you in a position that you think you can dictate or even actually know what goes on behind the scenes. You think you could run the game when in FACT you cannot. You do NOT work on this game so there are DETAILS and FACTS that you are not privy too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very well spoken !!!! I'm in complete agreement with this post and am so glad someone put it in the right perspective.

D

DGLita

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oy.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<font color="blue"> Are you telling me I cannot post what I have discovered, UNLESS i have 100% of the info? Because that is an unreasonable statement, that would basically mean that anyone who posted would have to have 100% of the information before they were allowed to post anything, including YOU. Hell, even George Bush didnt have 100% of the information before he sent the troops in. The figures I pesented were based on what I counted. I cannot see who is in lots not shown, but it is NOT an unreasonable statement to base a figure on my knwoledge of the game </font>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

<font color="red"> Now for the original post. How dare you think that you can ask a question of that nature </font>. Posts like these cause an up roar in the community. The up roar then leads to everyone fighting and the mods left to try to clean up the mess. I feel the devs have every right not communicate anything to you. Every time they do, all I ever see is some one complaining and ranting and raving about how its not best for the game.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
<font color="blue"> And what question exactly DARE i not ask?
Was it (Isthis) the beginning of the end?
Was it - Do the number of players playing at prime time justify the number of devs working on the game?
Or was it If you were an EA Exec what woudl you do?

Which of those questions have you so incensed? and why is it that I cannot ask them? </font>

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

<font color="blue"> I DO NOT claim to be an expert, at no my point in post do I CLAIM to be a Dev either, so get YOUR facts straight little boy . AND DONT tell me what I can or cannot post, that is for the mods to decide NOT YOU

Oh, and another thing, the chef thing, have you so little imagination that you have to keep repeating yourself? Cant think of another comparison? Its get boring</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Now you're getting it!!!

Although I do like what Shojinko said.

I'm proud of you Lita

D

DGLita

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Now you're getting it!!!

Although I do like what Shojinko said.

I'm proud of you Lita

[/ QUOTE ]

That was Ronin's last statement, not mine, I quoted his post and put my comments in <font color="blue"> Blue </font>

G

<blockquote><hr>

Isn't it hypocritical of you to call me a hypocrite for not reading every post in this thread when it is evident that you yourself have not read every post in this thread?

[/ QUOTE ]

No it's not; a hypocrite can call a hypocrite without it being false. Neither parts of those reasonings have anything to do with each other.

Anyway, if anyone is actually interested in online bunnies, then the ea-land api has City Info Response.Number Of Open Lots just to start with. You can also iterate through Avatar and look at On Line Status along with Enter Lot Date, at least this tells you how many people are online though no indication of their type of subscription.

Of interest is their Twitter field, anyone know if this is going to be more online integration?

J

jasminemoon

<blockquote><hr>

Isabeau said: Things are going on behind the scenes we have no knowledge of, give them a break and let them do their work before yelling the sky is falling. Quote by Chicken Little, and see what happened with that fairy tale.

[/ QUOTE ]

THIEF! ROBBER! PLAGIARIST! LOL!, I'm filing a grievance with stratics <u>right now!</u>..you stole my line (hee hee see
My post about the sky is falling... on this very thread! ROFL (I'm playin', of course!)

Like you, I said the same thing in the beginning of a post..everyone is crying that the sky is falling..and it's getting way out of hand..fact is all we've had is a few pebbles fall at the moment... <u>extremely</u> unnerving, yes, but not worth such 'gloom and doom' (seems I'm a thief too
) that is continuing to go on and on -and everyone jumping into the boiling pot, assuming that "the end is near"...when we really have NO idea what is happening behind the scenes. It's all PURE speculation.

It is a fact that we all have right to our opinion, even if it is a generalization.
It is my opinion that this thread is becoming extremely depressing...it's a shame that it's "on fire"..but I, too, am guilty of continuing to contribute to that..yep, guilty as charged. *frown*

Long live EALand!! (with all the wonderful additions the devs have planned!)
Jasmine Moon

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I'm sure your right on Herk1287.

D

DGLita

Ok I admit Im wrong and you are all right, and Im very happy to say that!!!! Dances!!

Apologies to everyone, I will keep my opinions to myself (not facts tho
)

Parizad has just posted on the forum, and all is well in EAland!!!

I think........

G

<blockquote><hr>

I'm totally for letter writing, I think its a lost art.

That said what you say and how you say it in said letter will impact the reply or even if you get one.

I worked in a correspondence unit of a bank for several years. I received letters demanding answers with no return address, no name, no acct number. I received letters full of such vile threats that I immediately forwarded them to security. Then theres the letters that are completely illegible.

When sending a letter to a company there a few things that will help you get a response whether you like the answer or not, the above list are not those things. What will work is proper grammar, legible handwriting or typed if thats not an option, and of course keeping a cool head. A complaint well worded and not full of swearing and/or threats is much more likely to be read.

There are some excellent books on the subject for anyone who doesnt know how to write a proper business letter.

I dare say that if I received letters like some of the posts I see here and on the blog, I would have sent a canned response to contact customer service for assistance.

I also agree with Jackiee's assesment of the customer story, I've got a million of em. I can just see the devs laughing over their rum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, everything you say is true, quite true. So who on the boards here can we vote on to do just that? Who would be your choice?
Then when the letter is finished post it on the boards and lets critique it, copy it, sign your name to it and then send it off.
Hmmm we will need an appropriate address of course and a number of higher up names to send copies to.
LOL, they may do just that, let's hope they don't fall out of their chairs and hurt themselves.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Oy.

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL!
This whole thread sounds like an Abbot and Costello skit.
Costello: Who's a fact.
Abbot: No, Who's an opinion.
Costello: Didn't you say a minute ago that Who's a fact?
Abbot: No, I said Who's opinion is a fact.
Costello: I'll bite - whose?
Abbot: Yes.
Costello: yes, what?
Abbot: Who's opinion is a fact.
Costello: That's what I'm askin', whose opinion is a fact?
Abbot: Exactly.

Costello: I'm a baaad boy.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Ok I admit Im wrong and you are all right, and Im very happy to say that!!!! Dances!!

)

I think........

[/ QUOTE ]

HoRay, thanks for the update, missed it.

G

<blockquote><hr>

)

I think........

[/ QUOTE ]

Not directed at you, but the fact that she's posting means that they do read these forums and DO care about what we think. Maybe if we're not so quick to jump all over them, they'll be more likely to talk to us.

Status
Not open for further replies.