• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The Beginner's Guide to Crafting Your First Suit (Flowchart) (Large Image!)

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Hi everyone. I'm not an elite suitmaker by any means, but rather a novice who has only recently begun to attempt higher-end crafting. While looking for information and resources, I found it very confusing trying to figure out where to start and what the proper order of operations should be (and why).

As I learned I started to write my own "guide", compiling links and sources into a single document. This is the most distilled version of that. I hesitated to post it because, as I said, I'm still learning myself, but hopefully someone will find it useful. Any errors are my own and I'll be happy to edit if they are pointed out to me.

This flowchart assumes that the crafter will be using imbuing (as opposed to burning through high end runics).

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I love it! Very great addition And If you dont mind I think I will sticky this?

Lucky Luke

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thx for sharing this flowchart :) But i would like to point out the following:

You could also do step 9 "enhancing" right after step 5 "reforging" and before POF & Imbuing

-> Let's say you want a woodland armor piece with 10 HCI or one with 5 HCI, 10 DI.
- You can craft regular armor pieces untill you get the base resists you are looking for, reforge it with 5 HCI, enhance it with heartwood armor and hope that the random enhanced property is either + 5HCI or +10 DI. If it's not, repeat the above. If you got lucky, POF your item & imbue it.
- Note that with this method you lost any potential post-imbue enhanced resists. Suppose you originally crafted the item with 3 fire resist. You then successfully enhanced the armor piece and because of this you have gained +3 fire resistance from enhancing with heartwood. Now your piece has 6 fire resist. Imbuing allows us to imbue a maximum of 18 fire resist onto woodland armor. So you can imbue fire resist to 18. Now if you had done enhancing after imbuing, then you would have imbued 18 fire resist first and then enhanced it with 3 fire making an armor piece of 21 fire resist.
- Note that enhancing pre-imbue will take up imbuing intensity & the 10 di in the above example would count as one of your maximum 5 mods. Enhancing post-imbue would allow for a maximum of 6 mods!

Basically enhancing before imbuing is safer but the result is not as good. You imbue the item after you are sure you didn't break it.

I know i'm not a good writer :)

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Thx for sharing this flowchart :) But i would like to point out the following:

You could also do step 9 "enhancing" right after step 5 "reforging" and before POF & Imbuing

-> Let's say you want a woodland armor piece with 10 HCI or one with 5 HCI, 10 DI.
- You can craft regular armor pieces untill you get the base resists you are looking for, reforge it with 5 HCI, enhance it with heartwood armor and hope that the random enhanced property is either + 5HCI or +10 DI. If it's not, repeat the above. If you got lucky, POF your item & imbue it.
- Note that with this method you lost any potential post-imbue enhanced resists. Suppose you originally crafted the item with 3 fire resist. You then successfully enhanced the armor piece and because of this you have gained +3 fire resistance from enhancing with heartwood. Now your piece has 6 fire resist. Imbuing allows us to imbue a maximum of 18 fire resist onto woodland armor. So you can imbue fire resist to 18. Now if you had done enhancing after imbuing, then you would have imbued 18 fire resist first and then enhanced it with 3 fire making an armor piece of 21 fire resist.
- Note that enhancing pre-imbue will take up imbuing intensity & the 10 di in the above example would count as one of your maximum 5 mods. Enhancing post-imbue would allow for a maximum of 6 mods!

Basically enhancing before imbuing is safer but the result is not as good. You imbue the item after you are sure you didn't break it.

I know i'm not a good writer :)
Ooh, I didn't know that! I'll try to update the chart in the next day or so. Thanks!

This chart looks exceptional! And now for my "dumb newbie" question. Step 4 "Use plain materials and plain tool." Are we talking smith's hammer and iron ingots for armor and cut leather (from cows, etc) and a plain old sewing kit for leather armor? I will now duck under my desk in anticipation of a flame.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
This chart looks exceptional! And now for my "dumb newbie" question. Step 4 "Use plain materials and plain tool." Are we talking smith's hammer and iron ingots for armor and cut leather (from cows, etc) and a plain old sewing kit for leather armor? I will now duck under my desk in anticipation of a flame.
That is correct. The base pieces are exceptional plain leather or iron crafted from normal crafting tools. You will use runic tools to reforge the exceptional plain pieces, and use different leathers or ingots to enhance (with the forged metal tool) near the end of the process.

Thank you so much! I have been wanting to ask that question for some time and figured the answer was so obvious to most that I would look like an idiot. I may still look like an idiot, but I now feel more like an "enlightened fool" :) You are my new hero!

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Thank you so much! I have been wanting to ask that question for some time and figured the answer was so obvious to most that I would look like an idiot. I may still look like an idiot, but I now feel more like an "enlightened fool" :) You are my new hero!
Gotta start somewhere! I don't think the crafting stuff is obvious at all, which is why I made that chart. It was initially just for myself because I kept getting confused and lost with regards to order of operations.

Quickjohn

Adventurer
Hi everyone. I'm not an elite suitmaker by any means, but rather a novice who has only recently begun to attempt higher-end crafting. While looking for information and resources, I found it very confusing trying to figure out where to start and what the proper order of operations should be (and why).

As I learned I started to write my own "guide", compiling links and sources into a single document. This is the most distilled version of that. I hesitated to post it because, as I said, I'm still learning myself, but hopefully someone will find it useful. Any errors are my own and I'll be happy to edit if they are pointed out to me.

This flowchart assumes that the crafter will be using imbuing (as opposed to burning through high end runics).

what are refinments at the end. What options do we have? also where are theese example spread sheets? id love to see some

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
what are refinments at the end. What options do we have? also where are theese example spread sheets? id love to see some
Refinements only exist for the non-medable armor pieces*, and only work if those don't have Mage Armor property.

One type reduces resist caps for the person wearing it, for an increase in the Defense Chance Increase cap while worn. (Deflecting?)
The other does the opposite, increasing the final suit's resist caps at the cost of lowering the character's DCI cap while worn. (Reinforcement?)

If you're not going to be using DCI and using a non-meditation suit, the raising in resist caps may be attractive. On the other hand, a DCI increase might be more attractive for some, since there are much lower damage caps for PvP, and avoiding being hit might take higher priority than preventing a fraction of a point of damage per hit.

Each Refinement is specific in the armor type it affects.
They come in 5 levels. In practice, you REALLY only want to use the ones of the highest level "of Invulnerability", as they affect the armor piece the most (5 resist points).
Combining Refinements: Two of the lowest level ("of Defense") of the same type can be combined into one of the next highest level ("of protection"). Three "of Protection" can be combined into one the 3rd level (the name escapes me at the moment). Four of the 3rd level can be combined into 1 "of Fortification". And, lastly, 5 "of Fortification" can be combined into 1 "of Invulnerability". To combine them, you need an Amalgamator, which costs 10,000 clean-up points (but is reusable). Of course, you can't empty an amalgamator until you add all the parts to finish the upgrade, so be careful and make sure you have all the parts.
Using Refinements: requires the single refinement you are using and the special materials from an NPC corresponding to the armor type.
There's a cap to how much you can change the Resist and DCI caps, but as I've never actually worn any refined items (and only refined 2) I can't remember what that cap is.

* The list
Blacksmith: all 6 types (Ring, chain, dragon, and the 3 Plate types), though if you make exceptional Samurai Plate, you'll have to go to one of the NPCs that can remove the Mage Armor property to remove it before using refinements (and I think before reforging).
Tailor: Studded Leather, Bone, Hide (elf only)
Carpenter/Mason: Woodland Armor (elf only), Gargoyle Stone (Gargoyle only).

Quickjohn

Adventurer
what are refinments ??????
Refinements only exist for the non-medable armor pieces*, and only work if those don't have Mage Armor property.

One type reduces resist caps for the person wearing it, for an increase in the Defense Chance Increase cap while worn. (Deflecting?)
The other does the opposite, increasing the final suit's resist caps at the cost of lowering the character's DCI cap while worn. (Reinforcement?)

If you're not going to be using DCI and using a non-meditation suit, the raising in resist caps may be attractive. On the other hand, a DCI increase might be more attractive for some, since there are much lower damage caps for PvP, and avoiding being hit might take higher priority than preventing a fraction of a point of damage per hit.

Each Refinement is specific in the armor type it affects.
They come in 5 levels. In practice, you REALLY only want to use the ones of the highest level "of Invulnerability", as they affect the armor piece the most (5 resist points).
Combining Refinements: Two of the lowest level ("of Defense") of the same type can be combined into one of the next highest level ("of protection"). Three "of Protection" can be combined into one the 3rd level (the name escapes me at the moment). Four of the 3rd level can be combined into 1 "of Fortification". And, lastly, 5 "of Fortification" can be combined into 1 "of Invulnerability". To combine them, you need an Amalgamator, which costs 10,000 clean-up points (but is reusable). Of course, you can't empty an amalgamator until you add all the parts to finish the upgrade, so be careful and make sure you have all the parts.
Using Refinements: requires the single refinement you are using and the special materials from an NPC corresponding to the armor type.
There's a cap to how much you can change the Resist and DCI caps, but as I've never actually worn any refined items (and only refined 2) I can't remember what that cap is.

* The list
Blacksmith: all 6 types (Ring, chain, dragon, and the 3 Plate types), though if you make exceptional Samurai Plate, you'll have to go to one of the NPCs that can remove the Mage Armor property to remove it before using refinements (and I think before reforging).
Tailor: Studded Leather, Bone, Hide (elf only)
Carpenter/Mason: Woodland Armor (elf only), Gargoyle Stone (Gargoyle only).
Thank you. Question. I wanna craft a 190 luck dagger or any 1h wep. So far I'm doing craft reg dagger -> reforge it with golden hammer->> all I'm getting is 100 to 140. Will I ever get a 150 to enhance it to 190? I used 4 gold hammer. And no 150

Jimmydeanbean

Journeyman
I have a dumb question here and I'm hoping someone who knows is still looking at this thread.
I'm very lost on the runic reforging. loaded my crafter onto Test Center so I could play around with this and I'm really not understanding how or when reforging is useful.
For example I wanted to runic reforge a pair of plate gloves to have 10% lmc, which is above the possible 8% imbuing limit.
I've tried every combination of different reforging's multiple times using either dull copper or shadow runic hammers and I have yet to get a 10% lmc. In fact I have yet to get any that are over the 8% imbuing cap. What am I doing wrong here? Is it just bad luck?
Should I be doing lower end reforging instead of Grand Artifice?