• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The age old question... should I come back?

Shqiptar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Haven't played in like.... a year? I don't know. Started playing in like... 2001, when I was 13.

I played the Elder Scrolls Online Beta and well... it sucked. In my opinion it is going to be just another WoW clone... maybe they can prove me wrong after launch.. ah well. The game gave me the urge to play a good MMORPG, one which at least still has the semblance of an actual world. Not a quest amusement park where a guild holds your hand the entire way.

Is it worth paying 15 bucks to activate an account for a month? I'll probably get my fix after a month anyway.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I'm not sure anyone can answer this definitively. But I'll offer a reason why I'm hopeful about UO's advancement. Although EA retains ownership of the franchise, a new company--Broadsword--has been granted exclusive license to publish/operate both UO and Dark Age of Camelot.

Broadsword is a start-up with around 12-15 employees and two sources of income: UO and DAoC. Maintenance mode is viable, but not profitable for a start-up hoping to grow. Accordingly, they have significantly more incentive to invest in development, marketing, community advancement, etc., than big EA.

Ultimately, the proof is in the pudding. But it's a change, and Broadsword's interests are tied to UO's success.

They have the passion, developers, engineers, QA, artists, and CSRs. What they don't have is PR and community management. Between you and me, let's hope they choose the right folks--folks who are best connected to their market: http://valourcorp.com/services.

Boondocker

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
UO is not in competition with online games? Ultima creator Richard Garriott tried to tell us that,
"Ultima is not a game, it is an interactive world."
You can log in and build a house, start a business, write a book, go fishing, sail a warship & sink pirates, start a fight with another player or monster, do quests or do some gardening.
Thanks to the creativity of UO players, it is not possible to name every possible activity.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
In my opinion UO is still by far the best online game out there, definitely worth the $15

Lady_Rachel

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Welcome back Shqiptar!
Come on now. I see your fingers hovering over the keys.
I mean ya got a neat Avatar and everything!
Grow some plants, deco a house, tame a beastie, sew a half apron, forge a shield, dig some ore, axe a tree, sneak around in Fel, fish up a brook trout, blow up a pirate, strut around Luna bank, join in an event, bow to Lord Blackthorn, wander the lands, explore Ilshenar, kill a Daemon, stroll through the Abyss, fill a music box, need I go on????.........
Bet it takes you more than a month!

Welcome home!

:p

Desi

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I just came back about 2 months ago after being gone for 3 years. I started with a newly created account while I sorted out some billing issues with my main accounts, after about an hour or so I knew I would be back. I'm back and re-building up now and it's just as much if not more fun now then it was 3 years ago. I do think it is worth the $15 bucks for as many hours of entertainment you get!!!

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Give it a honest try. Don't rely on others, experience it yourself. *smiles*

azmodanb

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just came back two months ago after a multi year break. I went all in and decided ill pay for a six month code and decide after that. Been fun so far.. still playing baja but most of my time has been playing ATL due to the population.

Remaking my mage.. and other chars like my griefer ninja assassin.. and the new pvm char sampire. Which is exactly the same as my necro warrior on baja with a few tweeks .. guess I was onto something four to five years ago lol.

Shqiptar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UO is not in competition with online games? Ultima creator Richard Garriott tried to tell us that,
You can log in and build a house, start a business, write a book, go fishing, sail a warship & sink pirates, start a fight with another player or monster, do quests or do some gardening.
Thanks to the creativity of UO players, it is not possible to name every possible activity.
This is the reason I will probably be reactivating my account(s) in April. I think I am going to do it when midterms are over. Thanks for the responses guys.