• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Thank you uo!

Dodger

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jimmy Fallon style, add yours.

Thank you uo for being so much more addictive and expensive than crack that I am now perceived as a pimp playa...oh ****....its the drugs...will post a real one later.

Ludes

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
More expensive than crack? Obviously you never watched a crackhead go through a hundred bucks a day...

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Crack??
Sorry I have no clue of what it cost.
But I do have a perspective of cost as aposed to UO.
Try going to the movies.....
Have any of you gone to the movies of late ether..... a single person going to the movies can run you a quick 20$ and thats on the low side.
Tickets run you anywhere from 7$ to 12$...(matenee prices) Normal evening showings run you 14$
then the drink is 6$
a small popcorn runs you 5$
box of candy/chocolate/licorish another 5$
and here in the west most have things like meals ..pizza, mcd's, sushi, hot dogs, etc... oh and dont forget the bon bons and ice cream.
So in my book UO is far cheaper.

Tomarke

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Crack??
Sorry I have no clue of what it cost.
But I do have a perspective of cost as aposed to UO.
Try going to the movies.....
Have any of you gone to the movies of late ether..... a single person going to the movies can run you a quick 20$ and thats on the low side.
Tickets run you anywhere from 7$ to 12$...(matenee prices) Normal evening showings run you 14$
then the drink is 6$
a small popcorn runs you 5$
box of candy/chocolate/licorish another 5$
and here in the west most have things like meals ..pizza, mcd's, sushi, hot dogs, etc... oh and dont forget the bon bons and ice cream.
So in my book UO is far cheaper.
Agreed. I have 3 accounts and 45 dollars a month for 23/7 access to interactive entertainment is well worth the price.

I would get rid of the "crack" we call cable/satellite TV ( if my family wasn't already addicted ) before I would ever consider not paying $45 a month for UO.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think if any company ever got smart and offered "just the internet" with good internet connect speed at a decient price(TWC has offered just the internet for 15$ a month but the speed is a sham. they say 25 to 50 but it turns out to be max 15 to 25.), 99% of us would dump cable in a hot second. Verizon/twc/ and dish would soon find out they ask too much and get the drift that all we need is the web. How mnay of us watch tv off the web?
Every show is on the internet in one way or another... Best off its at your timetable!

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I think if any company ever got smart and offered "just the internet" with good internet connect speed at a decient price(TWC has offered just the internet for 15$ a month but the speed is a sham. they say 25 to 50 but it turns out to be max 15 to 25.), 99% of us would dump cable in a hot second. Verizon/twc/ and dish would soon find out they ask too much and get the drift that all we need is the web. How mnay of us watch tv off the web?
Every show is on the internet in one way or another... Best off its at your timetable!
It's why I'd like to see Google Fiber expand nation wide, I'd gladly pay $70 for a gigbit connection

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Idk if I'm just old fashioned or what, but I actually like watching TV on an actual TV, it always seems weird to watch on a computer to me. Plus for people with a family, family TV time with the kids is a good bonding opportunity. *scurries back to the 1950's time machine*

Alexander of ATL.

Rares Fest Host | Atl June 2013
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
UO is drastically overpriced for what it offers compared to the market these days, imo.
Unfortunately.... this is correct.

The game needs to definite upgrade with some latest perks. Doing this would boost the player base, but in reality... the game is still stuck in the early 2000's

Tomarke

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Idk if I'm just old fashioned or what, but I actually like watching TV on an actual TV, it always seems weird to watch on a computer to me. Plus for people with a family, family TV time with the kids is a good bonding opportunity. *scurries back to the 1950's time machine*
You can use a device such as Roku, AppleTV, Chromecast or Amazon Fire TV and stream internet services to your TV. I personally have AppleTVs connected to the TVs in my living room and bedroom which stream Netflix, Hulu, HBOGo and ShowtimeAnytime (among others). It also streams any media I have loaded into iTunes on my computer such as movies, TV shows and Music/Music Videos. I end up watching more content over my AppleTV than UVerse I have connected for the rest of the family.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The price for UO is in line with other online games...
If we paid less how far do you think UO would go? Not too far and you would be complaining even more ....
Captn Norrington, my son has many times got live feeds for football games not on normal tv and wiht the hookup to the computer we have on our big screen tv the game is just fine as is all the programs he has set up for our enjoyment. Its real tv on a real set.. just the channel selector is the computer.

Alexander of ATL.

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The price for UO is in line with other online games...
If we paid less how far do you think UO would go? Not too far and you would be complaining even more ....
Captn Norrington, my son has many times got live feeds for football games not on normal tv and wiht the hookup to the computer we have on our big screen tv the game is just fine as is all the programs he has set up for our enjoyment. Its real tv on a real set.. just the channel selector is the computer.
What I was getting at was the fact that MOST MMO's now have a free-to-play program. Now, i know the 14 day trial can be 'considered' as a free to play.

Let's face it... this game isn't new player friendly. In reality... YOU NEED the help of another player in order to understand the full mechanics of this game. That is not good. Take crafting for instance. Someone who just started playing wants to be a crafter. There is so much to learn that it literally becomes a job.

The free-to-play i would like to see is to let people experience the game for free. Yes, for free. However, do like every other MMO and limit the availability of the player. One example would to let the play for free, but they can't have a house. They can't go into houses, they can't be friended or coowned to a house, so in order for them to obtain a house... they must pay. You could do other things also.

The fact is, Ultima Online isn't caught up to today's gaming culture. If we want more players, there must be a change. It's simple. Just look at it from this perspective:

Spend hours upon hours TRYING to learn the basics of the UO mechanics in order to play the game....

or..

Download a new player friendly game and enjoy playing it.

A game no longer becomes a game when you have to work at playing it.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
However, do like every other MMO and limit the availability of the player. One example would to let the play for free, but they can't have a house. They can't go into houses, they can't be friended or coowned to a house, so in order for them to obtain a house... they must pay.
I mostly agree, but unfortunately free to play goes hand in hand with griefing. Every game I have ever played that went free to play got such a huge influx of griefers almost instantly that it caused most of the original players to quit. SWOTR is the perfect example, before when I played it it was a nice game, with a decent community, pretty much the day it went free to play it collapsed into UO pvp trashtalk type of general chat with thousands of 12 year olds trying to act tough online.

So, the UO community has to make the choice between a pretty good, but small, community or a large community that has lots of nice people, but also tons of parasites and griefers.

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think there is a very small chance that we would see real griefing. Would we see some random people show up, yup for sure but it wouldn't be a full server. Limit free accounts to new accounts only, sure you could get a char up and running in a week but I'd be shocked that people would do so just to grief, farming though that would happen.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I will only say this once and you all had better understand it comes from a long standing business woman not just the gammer who loves to play UO.
Business's are in it for the money... we all know this as a fact not myth.
Prime example is EA. enough said.
Most of us who still play the game are not willing to take that risk to our part of UO's life.
Many here who are pushing for this DONT play UO anymore.
(dont make me pull posts where you who know who you are have come out and said so)
You have no stake in this, WE who play and pay do.
The first time I heard people bad mouth the game were those who were on their way out the door and gave the lame excuse of it was because of bad graphics.... Graphics was not the issue but it sounded good at the time as an excuse.
Yes the graphics are old but so is the game... we are coming up not to long inthe future of being 20 years old.
We have a good bit of crowing to do on that day...
We have lived through bad times in the real world and in the game.
What makes a game is not the graphics but its people.
Any of you who are long time players always site that you miss Brit bank sitting and the feel of that time...
It was that time you made friends and talked to what seemed face to face.
If I owned UO... yes there would be a few changes in the way things are run.
Billing would be in plain speak not lawyereze that you need a degree in accounting to understand for one.
Two would be the advertizing of the game which I beleave EA dropped the ball on big time long ago..
I am happy to point out btw Mesanna has started to put our face back in the public view with ad's.
How many of you who complain of the price of UO per month know we have the 3 and 6 month billing @ lower prices?
6 months choice in the billing menu is back to our old price level of 10$ a month.
Something to think about... for you who forget the monthly bills.
There are things in game and out I would love to address as you all know of the T-shirt sale went great but for the foriegn folks who didnt get a chance to order any due to shipping.
In the past we had mugs, maps, wall art posters etc... I'd like to see this again.
Marketing the game helps pull new players in.. and keep old ones going strong.
Dont get me wrong our Dev team is doing a hell of a job with the limits they are given...
I'd like to see more done... this takes more people at the office.... Again Mesanna is tryinghard to fill posts for engineer and the japanese/asian players news. This is not an easy road to find these people who are avid gamers to fill this gap.
There is needs.
But complaining and dissing is not one of them .
F2P is a major headache and not something I would recommend for UO.

Alexander of ATL.

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I will only say this once and you all had better understand it comes from a long standing business woman not just the gammer who loves to play UO.
Business's are in it for the money... we all know this as a fact not myth.
Prime example is EA. enough said.
Most of us who still play the game are not willing to take that risk to our part of UO's life.
Many here who are pushing for this DONT play UO anymore.
(dont make me pull posts where you who know who you are have come out and said so)
You have no stake in this, WE who play and pay do.
The first time I heard people bad mouth the game were those who were on their way out the door and gave the lame excuse of it was because of bad graphics.... Graphics was not the issue but it sounded good at the time as an excuse.
Yes the graphics are old but so is the game... we are coming up not to long inthe future of being 20 years old.
We have a good bit of crowing to do on that day...
We have lived through bad times in the real world and in the game.
What makes a game is not the graphics but its people.
Any of you who are long time players always site that you miss Brit bank sitting and the feel of that time...
It was that time you made friends and talked to what seemed face to face.
If I owned UO... yes there would be a few changes in the way things are run.
Billing would be in plain speak not lawyereze that you need a degree in accounting to understand for one.
Two would be the advertizing of the game which I beleave EA dropped the ball on big time long ago..
I am happy to point out btw Mesanna has started to put our face back in the public view with ad's.
How many of you who complain of the price of UO per month know we have the 3 and 6 month billing @ lower prices?
6 months choice in the billing menu is back to our old price level of 10$ a month.
Something to think about... for you who forget the monthly bills.
There are things in game and out I would love to address as you all know of the T-shirt sale went great but for the foriegn folks who didnt get a chance to order any due to shipping.
In the past we had mugs, maps, wall art posters etc... I'd like to see this again.
Marketing the game helps pull new players in.. and keep old ones going strong.
Dont get me wrong our Dev team is doing a hell of a job with the limits they are given...
I'd like to see more done... this takes more people at the office.... Again Mesanna is tryinghard to fill posts for engineer and the japanese/asian players news. This is not an easy road to find these people who are avid gamers to fill this gap.
There is needs.
But complaining and dissing is not one of them .
F2P is a major headache and not something I would recommend for UO.

If you are referring to me, well I still play. Also, I wouldn't consider what I'm saying as complaining. However, I'll go into even more detail as to why I posted what I did above.

I'm eighteen years old. I've been a gamer my whole life. My friends have been gamers their whole life. EVERY time I introduce them to Ultima Online, the deny it because it is outdated. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE LOVE LOVE this game. But will happen in the future?

You have old players leaving...

And new player joining and try to play but end up quitting because the game is to difficult to just sit and play. There are far more games out there now that offer so much more.

Take the player base of UO. It has declined SO much over the years because it is competing in a market where other games beat it. It's simple. All i was proposing is that they update the game to today's gaming world. It would benefit the game so much.

You are right that business are in it for the money. Something to think about while saying that... If EA feels they aren't making enough from Ultima Online, the plug will be pulled. Since no real number has ever been published, I am not sure if UO is increasing in population or decreasing like the past.

Some things that would benefit the player base is general chat spam. OMG... Atlantic's general chat is so full of it and it's complete nonsense. Insult after another. Once again...

And this too is from personal experience, my dear..

When I go to other games and I see that I don't like the content of other character in the game or if I don't like to put forth so many hours of labor to enjoy a game.. then I quit. A game is suppose to be for fun, an escape from the real world. Hence why so many have passed on UO and went onto something a little easier but at the same time, offers the same amount of fun.

I love UO, and I'll stay with it, but that is because when I started eight years ago, the player base was better and there was so many people to help one another. You don't rarely find that anymore.

And then again, maybe I am wrong. I am just going off of what I have seen through so many games and I apply it to this concept. It still wouldn't hurt to upgrade the game to modern technology.

Last edited:

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Did I say any names? nope
To feel as if something is aimed a you, I must ask then are you feeling guilty?

Alexander of ATL.

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Did I say any names? nope
To feel as if something is aimed a you, I must ask then are you feeling guilty?
Not really. I'm guilt free. I was clearing my statement since you didn't mention any names and your post was very vague in the aspect of it making any sense what so ever.

Not to mention the huge block of text. Very difficult to decipher the true meanings of your post to their full potential. From my observation, those who posted in this thread do still play. So therefore your claim on that subject is also questionable, not to mention it didn't have anything to do with the original topic of the future of UO. You can see how one can be distraught when replying to your post.

Plus, I plainly stated I've played non stop for years and that I pay for my accounts. Why would there be guilt? Did I miss something from your post? Please explain.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Though many see UO going to F2P would be a great thing... for them.
It is in no way the best option for UO.
My point for those who can handle reading more then a bubble gum wrapper is this fact.
Many of the games that have gone F2P have lost a good deal of their CORE players to the weekenders and fly by nights who play a game for under 6 months and then never darken the door again. It might show good profet for the company but in the long run the game looses in its perment residents. Which is the core of a games life span. Why do you think i have been in UO for over 17+ years??

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Though many see UO going to F2P would be a great thing... for them.
It is in no way the best option for UO.
My point for those who can handle reading more then a bubble gum wrapper is this fact.
Many of the games that have gone F2P have lost a good deal of their CORE players to the weekenders and fly by nights who play a game for under 6 months and then never darken the door again. It might show good profet for the company but in the long run the game looses in its perment residents. Which is the core of a games life span. Why do you think i have been in UO for over 17+ years??
Your completely right, but unfortunately games actually make a lot more money from those people that only play 6 months. The people know they will only play a short time, so they just buy everything they want with real cash, giving the game hundreds of dollars, as opposed to long term players like us who usually just wait it out and are patient, saving up gold to buy the item we want in game.

PVP'ers are the perfect example in UO, the average UO pvper seems to stay for about 4-8 months before quitting, but during that time they acquire billions and billions of gold through buying it or farming stuff 12 hours a day. So even though they quit forever after a few months, they have spent the same amount that a long term player like us would spend in probably 5+ years.

It's great for us to say that UO has the best community and all that, but really, since when has any company cared about their community over their profit. The company would have no problem dumping the long term players if it meant they could make tons of cash.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We all know EA's mo...
(buy, milk, strip, sell/kill)
Its few that escape that... UO has by the skin of its itty bitty teeth!
Unless you want players who come in and wreak havoc and make the game so unplayable or not worth playing keep it up, sooner or later a EA spy will read it and poof UO will be that piece of junk that every dirty low life plays for a few months and tosses ot like a dirty rag.. no rare will be worth the time to pick it up.
The greedy will push for let me buy this...let me buy that... till the game is so not worht a dime to anyone but them for a fast buck to EA and trash to the Core who kept the doors open.
Those F2P games are not well thought of.
Yes EA could make $$$$ on UO if it turned it into those cash machine games that milk the soul out of the game and leave a dry husk.
The main question is do I want to play in that kind of game?
(takes off the lace gloves of a lady)
HELL NO

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I don't think EA owns UO anymore
I believe that Broadsword has taken over development through licensing or contract but EA retains ownership. Billing is still handled through EA, as is the Origin Store.