• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Thank you, Atlantic, for being rude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

huskiblu

I recently got my partner to come back to UO, and we both decided to start fresh on Atlantic. Well after one day, I want to leave the server. The players have be rude and unhelpful. I have spent a good hour trying to find a full magery spellbook, with no luck at all. I ask at Luna, and all I get are people "lol"ing at me.

Atlantic, you are a joke.

/vent done.

Prime.

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you're interested, I'll help you two start fresh on Lake Austin, it's one of the smallest shards population wise, but we're newbie friendly. :p If you're looking for help on Atlantic, usually people in New Haven are more than happy to help new/returning players, Luna isn't really the best place for that to be honest.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
*smiles* We might kill you once in a while, but we will damn sure help you get where you want to be.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I am certain there are some good people on Atlantic.

T

Tazar

There are lots of good people on Atlantic - but Luna is the absolute worst place to look for them. New Haven is a great spot, the help channel in chat also has a lot of helpful people.

If you holler out in General chat and I see it, I'll be happy to help out, or PM me here and I'll arrange a meeting.

Good Luck and Safe Journeys!

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
There is one I was thinking of. *chuckles* I know of others as well.

H

huskiblu

Actually, after talking with my partner we went to Catskills, where I started a week ago. We aren't starting at the same time, but, players there have been a lot more friendly. Yes, even in Luna.

Bye Atlantic.

D

Draken-Korin

WOW you spent a whole day on Atlantic and then an hour in Luna to find a full spellbook and then base your opinion of the whole shard on that? I got to tell ya I dont mind at all giving things out to new/returning players when they are at least TRYING to help themselves. Giving out a starter check of 100k or so and items is not out of the norm, but would that help a person like yourself? Doubt it.

Judging by your post I am fairly certain it was your approach to looking for the spellbook that was a joke, not Atlantic itself.

H

huskiblu

WOW you spent a whole day on Atlantic and then an hour in Luna to find a full spellbook and then base your opinion of the whole shard on that? I got to tell ya I dont mind at all giving things out to new/returning players when they are at least TRYING to help themselves. Giving out a starter check of 100k or so and items is not out of the norm, but would that help a person like yourself? Doubt it.

Judging by your post I am fairly certain it was your approach to looking for the spellbook that was a joke, not Atlantic itself.
Gee. Thanks for proving my point. I didn't even want a handout. I wanted to find a place to buy one. I simply asked, "Where can I buy a full magery spellbook?" And the responses I received were "lol, find someone to make one for you". Of course that was mixed in with those who taunted me and my partner at New Haven as well.

Yeah, I'm even done with this forum. Good thing I didn't start on Atlantic and end up quiting. :/

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
*sighs* I guess I am just an old coot. I know wonderful folks on almost every shard.

Perhaps if you had posted asking for some guidance rather than admonishing the entire shard... you may have fared better here.

Good luck on Cats. Beware the ebil cookies...

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

That sucks huskiblu...but it isn't all that surprising.

That's unfortunately what UO has turned into these days. If you don't have something to offer most people, they just ignore you, or worse.

I wish I had known you were in need of assistance. If you and your friend decide to come back to Atlantic, let me know...I will make sure you are well taken care of. I have tons and tons of stuff I don't need, and I know of some open house spots as well.

Anyway, sucks that your impression of Atlantic was not a good one, but we aren't all bad.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Morgana is another of the folks on Atlantic I was thinking of. I think wrong place, wrong time here. There are some really cool people here. Even if they have a Trammel shard. *winks*

D

Draken-Korin

Two sides to every story on how this spellbook was "asked" for. Just so happens one side ran to the boards to post his, while the other side moves on thinking very little of it.

K

Killer Aggie

There are lots of good people on Atlantic - but Luna is the absolute worst place to look for them. New Haven is a great spot, the help channel in chat also has a lot of helpful people.

If you holler out in General chat and I see it, I'll be happy to help out, or PM me here and I'll arrange a meeting.

Good Luck and Safe Journeys!
I agree. Even 5 years ago, if you went asking for help in Tokuno Islands when it was just released or Luna, most people would look at you incrediously. This is because everyone assumes you are a knowledgeable/veteran player to go/know how to go to these locations.

The "ex-verterans" returning to UO such as myself, have been hanging out New Haven and the old Trammel dungeons (my second day back that is).

Most people on Atlantic are friendly as we see each other on a regular basis now. Brit is no longer lag central - now a more close knit, but friendly group how use UO as a destressor from the hell that is real life (temporarily) lol.

Hope my two cents helped!

Lady_Rachel

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We really have a good group of peeps on the shard.
But like others said, New Haven is usually the best place to go for some help or answers.

I was hanging there this morning and would have made/sold/gave you a spellbook. DeadBob was there and would have done the same. I know TWT was about there, and they are always willing to help. Even Sebastian was about. He would have geared you up if you needed it.
Lord Denis pops in and out in New Haven and would have made you one also. Hmmm..someone was there giving away swamp dragons, and I know UWF was in and out a bit. As were several other guilds that are known for helping new players. LLTS craft day was today wasn't it? I think someone mentioned that in New Haven today.

Sorry your experience was a bad one. I wish you good hunting!

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

I think Atlantic players should move to an old-school city. Not Britain, after what they did to the bank (no offense to anyone that likes it), but somewhere that returning vets might recognize, like say Moonglow, or Trinsic.

I guess it doesn't really matter much, but I think returning vets expect to see more people in places that existed prior to 2000.

D

Draken-Korin

Ya but Morgana we arent playing prior to 2000, time moves on. Im as partial to the great memories of those days as anyone else. Simple fact of the matter is I, along with many others that I know who played back in those days, are into making new memories.

V

Vercingitorix

I'm usually at New Haven ready to help as I can for new and returning players. Be it advice, run a treasure map for them, help get them some decent starting gear or whatever.

It is a shame you didn't see the friendlier side of Atlantic, I know quite a few people that are always willing to help when they can, like Hawk, Rachel, Sebastian, the UWF guild, TWT guild and many more.

If you and your partner do decide to give atlantic another shot, please try to look anyone that posted in this thread or is at New Haven, we're happy to help!

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I've interacted with all the Atlantians who posted above and wholeheartedly affirm their helpfulness. Regardless, gl to you two. I hope you find your shard home soon.

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You're mistake was how you went about looking for help. We have a -ton- of helpful people on this shard who I've seen spend hours helping new players and returning players get on their feet and (re)learn the game. However, if you were that quick to pass judgment on a whole community based on a few jerks? Your loss.

Best of luck on Catskills and hope it works out for you.

hungry4knowhow

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If your looking for an EXTREMELY helpful community I suggest Legends and get hooked up with the guild TMC.

I started there when I came back, and have since moved on to ATL once I was comfortable and my characters were built.

I can attest that alot of people on ATL are jerks. But many are nice. Its the largest shard in the game, so the amount of AHoles is alot bigger, and tend to be very loud about it, while the helpful people are more quiet.

I hope you decide to give ATL another chance at a later date. It really is a great shard if you like to be around people. Theres always somethign going on, and theres room for every playstyle.

Good luck and WB to UO!

N

Nienantoda

I've really got to disagree with your post.

I just started playing 3 weeks ago. Not returning, but brand new. I have run into a TON of extraordinarily helpful people. They have helped me settle into the game and I find the game really enjoyable.

Maybe some of the other posters were correct in saying it was your approach.

Best of luck.

T

Tazar

I've really got to disagree with your post.

I just started playing 3 weeks ago. Not returning, but brand new. I have run into a TON of extraordinarily helpful people. They have helped me settle into the game and I find the game really enjoyable.

Maybe some of the other posters were correct in saying it was your approach.

Best of luck.
Welcome to UO and to Stratics Nienantoda. :)

Cogniac

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm pretty sure if you make an overly generalized judgment about an entire shard based on an hour of interaction with just a few individuals, that makes you the rude one.

Here's hoping you happen to talk to one jerk on Catskills and as a result decide to switch shards yet again.

T

Tay M'real

That sucks, don't let banksitters at Luna turn you off.

I play Atlantic - if you need any help finding anything - let me know

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's just amazing how people expect everything for free, these days. When I think of the hard work of getting started, building skills, and getting what I needed just to enjoy the fine arts of getting killed by monsters in dungeons… this was more then 9 years ago… when gold was over 20$ a million. Now, with gold being nearly worthless in real money terms… I see more beggars them every before hanging around the bank and getting angry vets wont give them the shirt off their backs.

I know with the guild I belong to… it was a point of pride we would take someone new and teach them how to get around UO and GIVE them the fundamentals of endless wealth and adventure. Once these newbies got nasty… DEMANDING everything for free… we stopped helping everyone else. That is… until a newer person actually gets past that point.

It may be true the kind and helpful vets are becoming more rare as time presses on… but the overly demanding spoiled types like this… are ruining it for everyone. :thumbup1:

weins201

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is so sad that you based your atlantic experience on Luna

That is like going to LA or NYC and saying the sates they are in a Insane. Both places have so many people doing so much that it looks like the is never a chance to slow down and the majority in both those cities don't have much time for the casual paserby looking for a handout whic ic what you were doing.

I have been on ATL for year and every so often i find a newcommer wandering around in shoddy gear and set them up with a descent starter set , money to get them thruough a few tough spots and just about anything else they need. There are TONS of people like me here but we rarely sit at luna except to sit and laugh at the circus side show that goes on there.

I wish you the best werever you chose to hang your hat, just rem somtimes the grass ISN'T greener on the other side.

TTFN

SA
:thumbup1:

P

Phineas le Monge

The other folks are right - Luna was the absolute WORST place you could have gone. You should have hung out in Haven - the best and most helpful of all pass thru there, but they are not on 24/7. Perhaps you will exercise more patience on Catskills. Good luck and safe journeys.

F

Falcon of Atlantic

Yep, I would never ask for anything in Luna if my life depended on it, New Haven and sometimes Britain are the only places that I would go to.

L

Lady Elissa

I know dude is gone from this thread, but I wanted to say my peace anyway. I moved to Atlantic from my original server of Sonoma about a month ago when I returned to UO from a multi-year absence. Im happy with my decision to come here, every server is going to have it's good eggs and bad, you just have to roll with it.

Besides, if you're gonna search Luna for anything, hit one of those vendor search sites to find what you're after, you can find things easier and in this case, with less grief.

T

Tazar

Welcome to Atlantic and Stratics Lady Elissa.

Also, thanks for not naming any of those search-sites. They use illegal scripts to gather their data and therefore, are not allowed at Stratics.

Hope to meet you in game sometime.

Perseus The Noble

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am now away from the game for about 3-4 years. Big shout to Scorpius Quill and Jester.

I had to register just to say wow. Atlantic is the shard that invented helping players. I have bought inumerous people houses and provided them with almost anything they need. And I was in no way special. Thats what everyone on Atlantic does.

Highlight of my time in UO was when decay was still turned off and houses were expensive as heck (back when 3 mill was a lot of money too!!)
I bought my buddy Caleb a home in fellucia and he almost died. And I like that I became friends with Caleb outside of UO, don't even remeber his character name.

If anyone else is reading this thread dont be fooled. Atlantic is an old, and very if not the most, populated shard. Tons of great players.

Fare Thee well old friends of Atlantic!!!

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
LOL
Dude!
I don't play Atlantic anymore, and I coulda helped ya out there. I know most of those who posted in this thread, and quite a few that didn't that would have gladly tossed ya some books and armor. I still have some things there you coulda used. If ya ever decide to hit Atlantic again, or Legends, for that matter, post to the shard boards respectfully asking for help getting established, and you will be taken care of. Keeping in mind, it won't happen in an hour *grins*, as we all have jobs and family and stuff, so we aren't here 24/7 :p

Good luck to ya, sorry ya had a bad experience anywhere in UO!

MiNi MaGi

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
BYE! sorry but on ATL we dont keep warm bottles and binkis for beggers. i dont rem getting hand outs when i started.

iLLegal Means

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow, I don't know how I miss ya... If they had came to Haven... The Town Drunk gives every (young) player a GM spined suit and either a GM weapon or full spell book.... another player BlackJack usually gives them imbued armor.... don't know how we both missed ya...

T

Tazar

They went to Luna, the town of greed; instead of Haven, the town of hospitality.

V

Vercingitorix

Hawk needs to chime in with his inspired "Should have never gone to Luna" song. :D

R

ReaperNI

*remembers back when i use to hang in vesper* i loved back in the day where different guilds used to hang out in different towns and you would see the same people and if you want to find guild A you would have to travel to a different town. but yea luna is way over populated its a lag fest and it not even that nice to look at i would hang in a different towns if everyone split to different towns.

L

Lorelei Rage

Really wish you would have said something in general chat. Seems a lot of the "good eggs" missed you. I always help when I can, give items or point you in the right direction if I dont have the item.

RL'S pker

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's funny that when someone doesn't get what they want(for free), they complain and categorize a whole shard.

While if I had been on I'd of given ya a free book, I'm glad I wasn't though.

You gave the shard an hour to give you items, and when no one did you got *** bent. You're the Joke IMO.

Learn to be thankful for what people give you, don't expect anything.....

L

Lightpaw

the original post may not have been clear.

He was looking for a full spell book, he was not asking for one for free, but more looking for help on finding a spell book to purchase with the limited amount of gold he has already acquired. He did not even want any sort of handout.

Huski asked in Luna where he can find a full spell book, hoping for someone to point him to a vendor that had one at a reasonable price. But all he got was laughed at in general with no help whatsoever. That is what he is angry with.

He also did not know Luna was a bad place to ask. What went through his mind is that he saw a large group of players in one spot, and figured it was his best chance at getting a positive answer.

I spent a short time on Atlantic myself with him, and I do appreciate the swamp dragon as well as a suit of armor that was given to me, but in the end I will be on whatever shard Huski will be on, and Catskills has made him feel far more welcome there.

Just keep this in mind next time you see a new player on your shard ask "Where can I buy a full magery spell book?"...It really discourages that player if he/she is laughed at for such a simple question. A more appropriate answer would be that you do not know where to buy a full magery spell book or that you know of a scribe that will be willing to help, or pointing the new player in the direction of the vendor that has a full spell book.

R

RavenWinterHawk

I recently got my partner to come back to UO, and we both decided to start fresh on Atlantic. Well after one day, I want to leave the server. The players have be rude and unhelpful. I have spent a good hour trying to find a full magery spellbook, with no luck at all. I ask at Luna, and all I get are people "lol"ing at me.

Atlantic, you are a joke.

/vent done.
Go to Haven or drop a note here.

H

huskiblu

I'm responding cause I keep hearing how all you wonderful people are responding to my thread. Some of you are actually replying without actually reading the thread.

First, I NEVER asked for a hand out, my post says this. Second, I asked in general chat AND Luna, where to BUY a full spellbook. Again, I received no responses, and one "lol". Third, a lot of you are proving my point why I am happy I went to Catskills.

N

NorCal Uo Dealer

Your better off not playing on thee biggest scamming,hacking shards in uo.. oh i forgot about dupers also..lol when i go to atl i get in and get out.. or you will get alot of invites for guilds to try to kill and loot the items off you ect.. i hope you do well at the other shard :)

RL'S pker

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm responding cause I keep hearing how all you wonderful people are responding to my thread. Some of you are actually replying without actually reading the thread.

First, I NEVER asked for a hand out, my post says this. Second, I asked in general chat AND Luna, where to BUY a full spellbook. Again, I received no responses, and one "lol". Third, a lot of you are proving my point why I am happy I went to Catskills.

I read your post, and it was unclear. It was left to where it could be taken a few ways. Then ending it with "Atlantic, you are a joke" does not help the matter at all. That statement really just got ya the middle finger from some of us tbh.

Post clearly, and stop being such a baby. I hope Catskills has a Wambulance on hand for every time someone says "LOL" at you in game.

H

huskiblu

I read your post, and it was unclear. It was left to where it could be taken a few ways. Then ending it with "Atlantic, you are a joke" does not help the matter at all. That statement really just got ya the middle finger from some of us tbh.

Post clearly, and stop being such a baby. I hope Catskills has a Wambulance on hand for every time someone says "LOL" at you in game.
And I have words I could say to you, but I won't sink to your level.

T

Tazar

I've let this run as long as possible, but at this point, there's no upside left to it - just insults and finger-pointing...

Status
Not open for further replies.