• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Temporary Shard Visit (Suggestion & Debate)

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Greetings All

Based on an idea from another game I play. I wish to suggest the concept of temporary shard visits. Idea roughly is the ability to jump to another shard (IE. though character context menu), without permanent moving your character, and you may visit a shard, or change the shard you are currently on at any time. While on this shard you may still get things dropped in your backpack on the shard you visit. But you may not loot anything on the ground or in containers or basically anything. Likewise you are not allowed to trade in any sense or purchase from vendors, or basically acquire anything else while on the shard you visit. However you are allowed to trade with people while visiting another shard, which has the same home shard as yourself.

Pros
- Be where the action is.
- Meet up with friends for a hunt or to socialize
- Join official and player events
- ?

Cons
- Shard EM event items more likely to get exported
- ?

What do you guys think of this idea, and what suggestions would you have for such a thing.

Please note that this is not at all intended as a replacement for transferring the usual way, so please do not suggest things that works towards that. As that will be unrealistic anyways.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
These things already exist Shard Shields, Vet Reward Shard Shields or just create a Char on the shard you wish to visit. And alls you are trying to do is this, just another idea to transfer items from one shard to another at the expense of UO not the player, sorry.

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For all I care could be no items allowed to loot.. Other than that I do not relate to the criticism.

Siward

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pro (but at the same time con): It's easier for people who would like to move away from their shard to try something new and get a "taste" of what it's like on another shard. This could result in two consequences:
a) More people move to low populated shards (usually they are more charming and have a nicer atmosphere).
But b): this must not mean that they are necessarily moving away from a high populated shard. It might aswell result in an exodus from an already low populated shard.
Genereally spoken: I think many low pop. shards could easily win over some of the players from (lets say) Atlantic. Be it due to the community or other things like housing space.

Con: Any chance given to "export" stuff from one shard to another should be prohibited. The current situation on the low pop shard I'm playing on (Drachenfels) is the following:
- The majority of EM drops (if I had to guess I'd say 75%+) get moved off the shard the same evening they dropped.
- Local player vendors get sucked dry by the "visitors", 'cause stuff is usually cheaper here than on Atlantic. Why not buy those legendary artifact for 10m less, while I'm here, take it back to Atlantic and sell it there for a huge profit?
- Local players don't dare to trade within the shard community anymore. Why? Same reason as above: Why shall I sell it on Drachenfels when I can export it to Atlantic and make a huge profit there?

So in my opinion it should not be allowed to take stuff OFF the shard, but the other way around:
allow stuff to be imported TO the shards. This would stimulate the local shards' economy and may also attract more players.

Just my two cents :)

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Generally I don't worry too much about people migrating to or from certain shards, a lot of people are quite bonded in their current main shard.

So in my opinion it should not be allowed to take stuff OFF the shard, but the other way around:
allow stuff to be imported TO the shards. This would stimulate the local shards' economy and may also attract more players.
This would get abused so hard, by simply having a character on each shard.

I would rather suggest a system, where you may receive (to be defined) loot, but any loot gotten on a temporary shard would be shard bound, and you would need to trade to another character, before you can return to your home shard. Though this is rather complicated system and requires either access to a trusted house or a second account to be possible.

Open for alternative suggestions though.

Siward

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Generally I don't worry too much about people migrating to or from certain shards, a lot of people are quite bonded in their current main shard.
Probably right - Might attract more players from over populated shards than from low pop. ones.

This would get abused so hard, by simply having a character on each shard.
Could be solved by making these "visits" temporarily. Like 1 day every 7 days or something. The char would still be bound to his "homeshard" as long as he doesn't decide to actually xfer him completly.

any loot gotten on a temporary shard would be shard bound, and you would need to trade to another character
This at least wouldn't make the current situation worse. If you want to get stuff off the shard, you would still have to give it to the account that has the shard shields.

But again: if something like this gets implemented, I see great oppertunities to stimulate the economy of the low population shards.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Interesting idea, but not a necessary change. Leave 'shard jumping' to those with transfer tokens and shard shields. Don't devalue those by allowing some 'temporary visiting' system.

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You also do not get the concept. Homeshard does not change at any time .. you are just, like, able to play on another shard for a limited duration with restrictions.

Transfer shields/tokens are afaik primarily used to transport goods and not characters just for characters and if so mostly one way, this suggestion is only character.. and not item and not .

Even if you compare it to shard shields, they are 14y reward anyways (and account bound). So "devaluate" has no meaning in this comparison, as they are personal perk.

But anyways, nevermind, i give up.. people keep comparing to transfer tokens, and afraid to lose their transfer "privileges". without understanding what it is about when it has literately very little to do with transfer tokens.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Gil, you are right. Transfer Tokens should be deleted, they are the worst invention ever. Instead, your system should be used for shard-visits.

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't wish them deleted, it is two separate systems that works fine side by side :)

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And if you want to go hang out with your friends on another shard then just make a char over there and let them help you out with gear. If you want to do events then make event chars on every shard.

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
a visiting system would be nice.
but why not just kill the shard shields, and give us a mail-system, where we can send items across shards to ourself or a friend, alot like the system they have in wow.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
a visiting system would be nice.
but why not just kill the shard shields, and give us a mail-system, where we can send items across shards to ourself or a friend, alot like the system they have in wow.
They are called Char Transfer Tokens and you can buy as many of these as you wish. This is UO not WOW.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They are called Char Transfer Tokens and you can buy as many of these as you wish. This is UO not WOW.
I just wish they would change the cool down between transfers to 12 hours instead of 24, 4 hours would be much better but 12 would be tolerable. In the process of moving a entire accounts from ATL back to Legends and it takes over 7 days since I don't remember to do the daily transfer at 24 hours each day :)

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually iv'e bought a car for the money iv'e saved from closing 8 accounts, when they introduced shard transfer shields.
I really do believe that UO could learn alot from wow. the main difference between wow and uo, is that wow actually do something about cheating, duping, etc etc.
What ruined the economy is called shard shields, not char transfer tokens.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Actually iv'e bought a car for the money iv'e saved from closing 8 accounts, when they introduced shard transfer shields.
I really do believe that UO could learn alot from wow. the main difference between wow and uo, is that wow actually do something about cheating, duping, etc etc.
LMAO The economy was ruined long before Char Xfers and a whole lot longer then before Shard Shields, I do not know what game you been playing but it sure was not UO. DUPING DESTROYED the economy.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Then you would have to take equipment and other items with you so what limit do you put on it? This will be abused and cost EA/UO real money.
Eh, it doesn't really matter to me enough to make an argument for or against. If they implemented it for pvp I'd probably use it.

However the least of my concerns at this point is if it impacts their bottom line.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Just curious, what kind of car was it?

Even for a year that'd be what, 1400 bucks?

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I just wish they would change the cool down between transfers to 12 hours instead of 24, 4 hours would be much better but 12 would be tolerable. In the process of moving a entire accounts from ATL back to Legends and it takes over 7 days since I don't remember to do the daily transfer at 24 hours each day :)
It seems self imposing that they'd add a cool down to it.

But perhaps it was to combat duping from black holing a shard.

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just curious, what kind of car was it?

Even for a year that'd be what, 1400 bucks?
Well shields have been out for around 4-5 years now, so the math is more like 4500$.
but ya, i bought myself a used volvo earliere this year, from all the money i saved :)

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
LMAO The economy was ruined long before Char Xfers and a whole lot longer then before Shard Shields, I do not know what game you been playing but it sure was not UO. DUPING DESTROYED the economy.
Please show some facts, else be silent.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Please show some facts, else be silent.
LMAO So your opinion is your fact, now that is funny but if that is the only come back you have then your opinion is just as worthless, have a nice day. Doesn't even play the game but knows everything about it, priceless. NOT

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Greetings All

Based on an idea from another game I play. I wish to suggest the concept of temporary shard visits. Idea roughly is the ability to jump to another shard (IE. though character context menu), without permanent moving your character, and you may visit a shard, or change the shard you are currently on at any time. While on this shard you may still get things dropped in your backpack on the shard you visit. But you may not loot anything on the ground or in containers or basically anything. Likewise you are not allowed to trade in any sense or purchase from vendors, or basically acquire anything else while on the shard you visit. However you are allowed to trade with people while visiting another shard, which has the same home shard as yourself.

Pros
- Be where the action is.
- Meet up with friends for a hunt or to socialize
- Join official and player events
- ?

Cons
- Shard EM event items more likely to get exported
- ?

What do you guys think of this idea, and what suggestions would you have for such a thing.

Please note that this is not at all intended as a replacement for transferring the usual way, so please do not suggest things that works towards that. As that will be unrealistic anyways.
@Gilmour

Just save your breath. You cant have a proper discussion in this forum as the post will Drift within a few days to why is Trump so good or why is the world so Bad. I guess its just some people here who act like 10y olds after their Mom did not make them the food they wanted.

Furthermore i think the devs will not have time to even think about it.
Its a nice idea to spontaniousely join something somewhere for a fixed period of time.
It could work if you only can "copy" a character with the stuff worn and in Backpack which then gets char bound and the copy gets deleted after x hours.
Only New added stuff like loot and drops can be removed from Backpack via trade.

Ofc you can simply create a toon somewhere but this would not be that spontaniousely.

I think the devs have more important points to follow. But that do not belong here as I dont want to push your post in another Direction

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
LMAO So your opinion is your fact, now that is funny but if that is the only come back you have then your opinion is just as worthless, have a nice day. Doesn't even play the game but knows everything about it, priceless. NOT
youre not making any sense.
But please explain to everyone how you can know wether i have an active account or not ?
It has been explained to you numerous times, how the economics in UO work, you should actually search on this forum. I'm not gonna explain it again.

Tbh, i dont think there is anything to laugh about. Starting a reply with OMG,LMAO, etc etc, only shows how childish u are. So please stop that.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
But please explain to everyone how you can know wether i have an active account or not ?
It has been explained to you numerous times, how the economics in UO work, you should actually search on this forum. I'm not gonna explain it again.

Tbh, i dont think there is anything to laugh about. Starting a reply with OMG,LMAO, etc etc, only shows how childish u are. So please stop that.
:next:

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron

Guys - let's stick to the topic and not make it personal.

Coco_Zamis_DF

Lore Keeper
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sorry Gilmore, but this idea has no sense except getting easier event Drops.
If I need somewhere a char i create it.
In theese days a mage with all its needs is up in a few days. Why I should use the few Dev ressources for such an idea?
Playing, yes playing is done on the shard i know all the peoples as they were neightbours in rl.

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why I should use the few Dev ressources for such an idea?
Playing, yes playing is done on the shard i know all the peoples as they were neightbours in rl.
I though the reason was obvious.. UO is an old game, although still doing reasonable well for such an old game, it has too few players for the shards it got, and cause of the best feature of UO (housing) it is not possible to merge shard.. This means we got 27 or so shards with players enough for moderate population of 5. The essence of the idea is to give everybody the possibility of participating anything on any shard. Without the need of hassle to transfer, shields which is still reserved for 14y veterans, and in an effort to equalize those perks so new players don't feel lost at the prospect of waiting so long or paying up for a transfer token for it.

I understand people are concerned about em event item export, as far as I'm concerned some workaround could be made to counter that.

But anyways, i got by now that this is not something people can see the potential in, and have given up trying to defend it..

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Guys - let's stick to the topic and not make it personal.
With all due respect Sir, fordo makes everything personal every time someone mention shard shields.
I was meerly defending myself against this childish person.
And yes i do find it very childish, when people starts their replies with LMAO, and then they assume 100 things about a person they dont even know.
So yes please do you job, and give this guy a warning, i was on topic till this guy tried to sabotage my posts. And he does that alot.

Coco_Zamis_DF

Lore Keeper
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I though the reason was obvious.. UO is an old game, although still doing reasonable well for such an old game, it has too few players for the shards it got, and cause of the best feature of UO (housing) it is not possible to merge shard.. This means we got 27 or so shards with players enough for moderate population of 5. The essence of the idea is to give everybody the possibility of participating anything on any shard. Without the need of hassle to transfer, shields which is still reserved for 14y veterans, and in an effort to equalize those perks so new players don't feel lost at the prospect of waiting so long or paying up for a transfer token for it.

I understand people are concerned about em event item export, as far as I'm concerned some workaround could be made to counter that.

But anyways, i got by now that this is not something people can see the potential in, and have given up trying to defend it..
Well i honor all you do and has done for the UO community, but i don't think to find with this idea a solution for underpopulated shards.
Thats my thoughts about this discussion.

And Broadsword will never, never tag EM drops with shard bound, because thoose collectors are a huge player base.
We will die a long lasting death...nevertheless until then we will roof UO or kotl or kill the big ape or the rex or ...

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Anything that would hurt the sale of transfer tokens in anyway will likely never see the light of day. I think EA does pretty decent off those and it's probably the best selling item.

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well there are ways to solve even the housing hurdles. But lots of the players would rather see BS close their doors before realising the true Situation.

Reasons for this is in 99℅ sentimental.
The History of the shard.

Well that maybe "true" that they had some moments or adventures or whatever but I cannot belive that they honestly like to play on Dead shards.

And iam pretty sure that excatly the lots of people running around doing stuff. Trading. Crafting. Hunting. The heat when you could get robbed was that they made them uo addicted in the first place.

My home shard is one of these. I play there only because of the friends i made when I came back after 10 years Pause.
Otherwise I would move along.

For me its like I reality. If the circumstances dont fit anymore you have go move on.

If someone would offer me to transfer my house from A to B excatly like it is with all **** in hell show me where to sign.

And from technical view its only copiying stuff in a database.

Some would argue now. But the location is already taken. And? The world do not end with a new nice Location.

Its about how its sold to the people. Make. Nice village like new mag with predefined slots for a few 18*18 a few smaller keep and castle. If the place look nice. Make nice deco. A river some Woods include the usual npc Shops The people come. Job done

But well this will never happen because auf sentimental small minded people.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well there are ways to solve even the housing hurdles. But lots of the players would rather see BS close their doors before realising the true Situation.

Reasons for this is in 99℅ sentimental.
The History of the shard.

Well that maybe "true" that they had some moments or adventures or whatever but I cannot belive that they honestly like to play on Dead shards.

And iam pretty sure that excatly the lots of people running around doing stuff. Trading. Crafting. Hunting. The heat when you could get robbed was that they made them uo addicted in the first place.

My home shard is one of these. I play there only because of the friends i made when I came back after 10 years Pause.
Otherwise I would move along.

For me its like I reality. If the circumstances dont fit anymore you have go move on.

If someone would offer me to transfer my house from A to B excatly like it is with all **** in hell show me where to sign.

And from technical view its only copiying stuff in a database.

Some would argue now. But the location is already taken. And? The world do not end with a new nice Location.

Its about how its sold to the people. Make. Nice village like new mag with predefined slots for a few 18*18 a few smaller keep and castle. If the place look nice. Make nice deco. A river some Woods include the usual npc Shops The people come. Job done

But well this will never happen because auf sentimental small minded people.
So this is turning into a SHARD MERGER THREAD. :facepalm:

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Its not. Its about small minded people.
So if you hate your shard so much then do everyone a favor and buy as many Char Transfer Tokens and move to a shard of your choice and stop trying to force your play style on those that do not want it. I am %200 sure that if this made EA money it would have already been done because EA is all about the money. I also find it funny that you think this is so great but you want EA/UO to pay for it and not you. Take your own advice and do it yourself and stop asking for hand outs. Mesanna has already stated that it cost no more to support all the shards than fewer shards so it makes no difference to them and for those that like less crowded shards our playstyle is being taken care of, if yours is not than EA/UO has provided you with a way to fix that, use it.

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
And there it is.

This whole Post is not about money. Its about improvements. And offering people something new.

It not about forcing anyone to anything. If someone wants to play more or less alone.

But if You want to play the cash card okay. You can easily charge for such a service. Which Support your theory of EA care only about cash.

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
And btw. I don't hate my shard. But I play a mmorpg which lives with the players. For playing alone i dont have to pay monthly Fee.

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Anything that would hurt the sale of transfer tokens in anyway will likely never see the light of day. I think EA does pretty decent off those and it's probably the best selling item.
I don't think that a temporary hour based "visit" where you can't bring or take stuff would hurt the Sale of xfr token.
But it is a point to be considered.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't think that a temporary hour based "visit" where you can't bring or take stuff would hurt the Sale of xfr token.
But it is a point to be considered.
That is not what is being proposed, sorry. People just want to take their Event Warrior to all the events for free. Now wont that just be so great for all the rest of the shards population that support their events. This is NOT for a "visit" give it a break. Visits are easy just make a new char and visit all you want, but that is not what you want is it.

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
well i fear you only see black and white here,

ofc an event would be an occasion you might want to go, but Gilmour clearly mentioned also other things, like socializing or simply hunting with other people.
and when it comes to events it simply dont make a difference to the current situation, as long as you can move EM Event items you will always have people from other shards.

you will say now, "yeah but not that many" well, do you think it makes a difference? when the people at an event double they will also adjust the drops.

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
but as Gilmour will no longer support this post iam out too, there are fights to fight and gold to make.

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UO has way too many shards for it's own good. Community is spread too thin. Instead of precious few more or less lively shards and quite a number of very dead ones, we'd much benefit from having only two or three shards. Of course, any kind of server merging at all will likely never happen. Thanks to housing, devs have never really had the option to move people around to ensure/enforce lively servers.

I'd like to see a new landmass that is located on one single shared server; Nexus of life where everybody from any and all shards needs to transfer to venture. Maybe character copy rather than Xfer as we think of it now. Soft merge of sorts.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
UO has way too many shards for it's own good. Community is spread too thin. Instead of precious few more or less lively shards and quite a number of very dead ones, we'd much benefit from having only two or three shards. Of course, any kind of server merging at all will likely never happen. Thanks to housing, devs have never really had the option to move people around to ensure/enforce lively servers.

I'd like to see a new landmass that is located on one single shared server; Nexus of life where everybody from any and all shards needs to transfer to venture. Maybe character copy rather than Xfer as we think of it now. Soft merge of sorts.
UO DOES NOT have to many shards because people still populate those, what you consider, dead shards. If YOU want more community you are more than welcome to transfer to a more populated shard. Why do you insist that your play style is so much better than anybodies else? UO has provided a way for you to go anywhere you want to and if you are that determined to play with more than you are more than welcome to do so but please leave those that chose to stay where they are alone. How many players do you guarantee that will come back if there were a shard merger, please show us you factual data sheets and how many people/accounts are you expecting to leave UO when you close their shard. Funny how the most active shard is losing people isn't it.

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
^ Nowhere in post you quoted is people leaving for a more populated shard
UO DOES NOT have to many shards because people still populate those, what you consider, dead shards. If YOU want more community you are more than welcome to transfer to a more populated shard. Why do you insist that your play style is so much better than anybodies else? UO has provided a way for you to go anywhere you want to and if you are that determined to play with more than you are more than welcome to do so but please leave those that chose to stay where they are alone. How many players do you guarantee that will come back if there were a shard merger, please show us you factual data sheets and how many people/accounts are you expecting to leave UO when you close their shard. Funny how the most active shard is losing people isn't it.
You somehow managed to find a great deal of things I never really said from my post. I wasn't even waving a flag on behalf of hard merges as such. I don't live on a busiest server at all, and like it well. It's just that if we get all boring and objective, then in very undeniable sense the game has way too many servers for amount of people playing. In great many Shards, UO looks and feels so much more quiet than it should.

Soft merge where some new expansion would provide new lands, dungeons and pvp areas on one shared server for all shards would redeem much of this.