• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Template Question

B

BloodstoneGL

What would be the best template for a theif that is just for stealing and surviving the chase. I don't care about fighting back but just making the steal and getting away at champ spawns and elsewhere.

My template so far is
120 Stealing
120 Stealth
100 Snooping
100 Hiding

I was thinking 60 Magery so I can cast recall, heal, and cure. I have a total of 700 points to distribute so that leaves me with 200 left over. I was thinking of Ninjitsu for Shadow Jump but that's a lot of points for just one ability. Also considered Healing + Anatomy fo heals on the run. Any thoughts?

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What would be the best template for a theif that is just for stealing and surviving the chase. I don't care about fighting back but just making the steal and getting away at champ spawns and elsewhere.

My template so far is
120 Stealing
120 Stealth
100 Snooping
100 Hiding

I was thinking 60 Magery so I can cast recall, heal, and cure. I have a total of 700 points to distribute so that leaves me with 200 left over. I was thinking of Ninjitsu for Shadow Jump but that's a lot of points for just one ability. Also considered Healing + Anatomy fo heals on the run. Any thoughts?
If you are on a production shard, let me suggest Chiv. 65 points there and you have heals and travel. I like the ideas on the other skills. Maybe at least enough in Ninja for the SJ, and healing and ana for quick heals. You might as well have use for some of the band aids that you steal, lol. I know I like to be able to heal while on the run, right before hitting my hide macro...la

B

BloodstoneGL

Yea I'm on a production shard. Never thought about Chivalry, have never used that skill but I'll look into it. I thought about wrestle for disarm but it's kind of pointless since I'm on the run and everyone insures their stuff so a disarm steal would be extremely rare. I think I'm going to look in to this template on TC...

120 Steal
120 Stealth
100 Hiding
100 Snoop
65 Chiv
65 Ninjitsu
80 Heal
50 Anatomy

That much heal/anatomy should give me 24-45hp every 8 seconds roughly at 125 dex.

Was thinking for stats I would do 255 total, 80str 125 dex 50 mana. Thoughts?

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You want at least 60 in ana and heal, so you can heal through poison.

In regards to stats...I have...

120 Str.
10 Dex
120 int

I like the additional hps and mana...la

B

BloodstoneGL

Actually I think I'll try

100 Steal & 100 Stealth (Use Shadow Dancer Leggings for 120 in both)
100 Hiding
100 Stealth
65 Chivalry
85 Ninjitsu (to be able to use Wolf form)
80 Healing
70 Anatomy

I can't think of any other skills useful for a snatch and grab besides maybe tracking and that seems like a waste to me.

Do none of these skills need high dex (besides healing for faster heals)? If thats the case Ill go with

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The way I look at it with dex, how many times in a row will you need to heal when getting away?

Personally, I found I only used heal during the chase, so as you are running, drop heals until you can get hidden. With ninja, you will also be able to use egg bombs, so as your timer allows, you can use one of those to get concealed...la

B

BloodstoneGL

Yea for some reason I thought dex affected stealing or snooping. Must be an old myth I heard from way back in the day when people didn't know exactly how things worked hehe.
I'm not worried about fast heals since I'm not going to be fighting directly.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Since I am on Siege, I like to have at least 100 magery and high intell. But this just opens up another dungeon from me to find marks in. I haven't checked in awhile since I've had these for awhile, but you need at least high magery to get into Wind. :eek: ...la

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't over look dog form. Slipping into that once you've gotten hidden will heal you up quite nicely.

L

legidon

hi guys i am just returning to the game <dling atm> and am intrested in becoming a theif is uo still played by many people? what server should i roll on and what race and lvling tips can you offer me? its been a while since i played i stopped when daoc came out and although popped back once or twice this is the first time i am seriously lookign at getting back into uo... any help would be great!! :)

lots of love Enjoyable

Touzoko

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Since I am on Siege, I like to have at least 100 magery and high intell. But this just opens up another dungeon from me to find marks in. I haven't checked in awhile since I've had these for awhile, but you need at least high magery to get into Wind. :eek: ...la
Wind. Are there many people inside there?

Touzoko

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The way I look at it with dex, how many times in a row will you need to heal when getting away?

Personally, I found I only used heal during the chase, so as you are running, drop heals until you can get hidden. With ninja, you will also be able to use egg bombs, so as your timer allows, you can use one of those to get concealed...la
dex firgures into detect equation somewhere, but how this one must study for.
Good point on healing- repeat healing hopefully not a necessity.
Please, am wondering though, if the low dex ever leaves you wishing for more stamina, or do potions suffice?

Thank you.

Touzoko

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Please to allow this thief to correct himself. Dexterity only is played during passive detection. On Siege this does not exist with players, though with monsters yes. This one has been revealed by spawn while stalking, though. On a production shard, this would be more important though.

N

Nickster

if you were to take ninja a little higher i find that shirukens and darts can be a great aid in helping you escape, the time they have to stop to cure will give you valuable seconds to get in front of them and hide, also the form spells for the ninja can be a life saver. animal form doesn't reveal and rat form gives a 20 stealth bonus and llama and ossie form give a great speed boost, just my 2 cents worth but personalaly i would invest the points elsewhere for healing/anat, perhaps a wepon skill for shadow strike?

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I run an Odd Template.....but here goes.

Stealing 112.1 67.1 <--Scrolled to 120 But lowering to 60
Hiding 100.0 100.0
Snooping 100.0 92.2 <---Dropping to 90
Stealth 100.0 75.0
Ninjitsu 98.0 83.0 <-- Still working it when I get in the Mood to 115
Poisoning 80.0 80.0
Chivalry 72.7 72.7 <-- Lowering to 65
Fencing 70.0 70.0
Tactics 70.0 70.0

The Benefits of this is I'm Running 9 Skills while having the ability to get the best balance of perks. My Suit is a Rune Beetle Carapace, Shadow Dancer Leggings, Burglar's Bandanna, Sleeves and Gloves to help shore up resists, +15 Ninjitsu Bracelet with some Resists, +15 Steal Ring with some Resists, and I carry an extra +15 Stealing Bracelet.

Yea it's a Gimpy Template but it's effective on Production Shards with Insurance. The Fencing/Tactics/Poisoning is for killing Script Miners and Lumberjacks with out a lot of mess and hassle since I can hit them with both Death Strike and Lethal Poison. Plus I sell DP'ed Shuriken and what not so it was useful anyways :lick:.

Rico's right though the Benefits of Chiv are nice I don't have to lug around Pots for the most part and if I get my Stamina dropped on Divine Fury fixes me right up which I can cast on the Run.

Nonel

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Bloodstone...you intending on playing this thief on GL?

If so, I can already tell you that temp isn't going to work out well. At least not if you have LOTS of invis items and are fast at using them. But invis items are for cheapskates. ;)

If you're playing GL, you should meet with myself and some of the thieves in my guild. We fare pretty well on the shard, as far as survivability. For the most part we are fairly mixed on temps, but they all work well. Some of us have been using them as mains in factions for years. Think surviving being fielded in at a spawn is hard? :/ Try SL base, with masses of people who've been there for 9-hours straight and aren't about to let you go and ruin their entire night...

Edit: Point I was getting at...we can bounce some ideas off you and see what you like.

B

BloodstoneGL

If so, I can already tell you that temp isn't going to work out well. At least not if you have LOTS of invis items and are fast at using them. But invis items are for cheapskates. ;)

If you're playing GL, you should meet with myself and some of the thieves in my guild. We fare pretty well on the shard, as far as survivability. For the most part we are fairly mixed on temps, but they all work well. Some of us have been using them as mains in factions for years. Think surviving being fielded in at a spawn is hard? :/ Try SL base, with masses of people who've been there for 9-hours straight and aren't about to let you go and ruin their entire night...

Edit: Point I was getting at...we can bounce some ideas off you and see what you like.
Yea he'll be on GL. What do you think the best template will be for a thief to just snatch and run? I'm not looking to one that can PvP, just get in and get out alive hehe. I want him to be able to snatch some at spawns, but have no interest in putting him in factions right now.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The key for the production shard thief, is getting next to your mark, unnoticed. With passive reveal, that can be very difficult...la

D

Dryke GL

I'm working on a thief on GL myself. I started out doing crate stuff; lately I've joined a faction, and I finally have stealing trained up to where I can join the thieves guild. It would sure be nice to get some tips and training on stealing from the spawn fights; if I'm going to be regularly killed by other players, I figure I'm entitled to a few five-finger discounts in compensation :)

Would you mind if I met up with you as well? I could sure use the advice :) As a plus, my thief isn't guilded (though I am currently in one of the factions) and if your guild is willing to entertain the idea of having him along I'd surely be interested.

I'm at work at the moment, otherwise I'd drop my ICQ number here...don't remember it though :(

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
The key for the production shard thief, is getting next to your mark, unnoticed. With passive reveal, that can be very difficult...la

It's rather simple use Shadow Jump!

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I thought only elves had passive reveal? Do all characters have it now?
It just seems to be easier to get revealed for whatever reason. I don't recall the reasoning. Hacking programs or a more valid reasoning...I'm not sure.

Shadow jump is good and can do the trick if you are rehearsed in your tactics. Not so much if you...aren't lol.

Chad Sexington

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It just seems to be easier to get revealed for whatever reason. I don't recall the reasoning. Hacking programs or a more valid reasoning...I'm not sure.

Shadow jump is good and can do the trick if you are rehearsed in your tactics. Not so much if you...aren't lol.
Haven't noticed a difference.

Supposedly, the JOAT detect bumps up human detection. But I got detected by everyone.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's rather simple use Shadow Jump!
Have you happend to be in the same room when someone shadow jumps? Graphics, and sound effects. Not very stealthy when trying to not let someone know they have hidden company.

It works just fine when it comes to escape...they already know you are there...la

Nonel

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Bloodstone,

Use your PvP thinking, even in a snatch & grab temp. Ever try going up against a group of archers on a mage with no mage wep, anat/eval, wrestling, or some combat skill? Hell no. You wouldn't even go into fel like that.

The key to prodo shard stealing is defense. Without it, you'll get dropped so fast at times you cant even think about casting a 4/6 chiv heal. :p

B

BloodstoneGL

I had a theif named Knicknack Jack that worked pretty good as a snatch and run theif hehe. What template would you suggest then? Right now I only have Hiding, Stealth, and Snooping done, working on stealing now. Send me a PM.

What about something like this?
100 Hiding
100 Stealth
80 Chivalry
100 Ninjitsu
120 Parry

88 str
80 dex
87 int

Get a ton of DCI and use Parry as a defensive measure to allow me get away?

Nonel

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Still a critical issue with that temp. PM being sent. :)

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What about something like this?
100 Hiding
100 Stealth
80 Chivalry
100 Ninjitsu
120 Parry

88 str
80 dex
87 int

Get a ton of DCI and use Parry as a defensive measure to allow me get away?
Snooping is missing? Suggest drop the parry and GM snoop...la

R

Robthemilt

I dont know what GL is like with other stealthers, but since picking up detect hidden and tracking i've been SOOO much more successful on ATL. I've found that a lot of the times that i thought i was being passively detected, there was actually another thief or a d mount archer sitting with his buddies. Just Be careful and be very patient.
I run
120 steal
120 stealth
65-ish chiv (did you know you can hide while casting sacred journey?)
100 hide
100 detect
100 ninja (still barely able to use ostard form reliably.)
100 snoop
and i've got a random stash of points in tracking.